Chapter Two: A Little Tour Around

The Girl Selling Newspapers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan ended up sleeping near the bakery after the baker had told him the exact directions towards the town. According to the baker, he’ll be having a ten-minute walk straight and then turn right so he could arrive to the main town.

That’s no problem to Seungwan after Gyuri refused to let him enter the farm before staying outside for a week. And besides, he’s already used to staying outside for days.

So the little boy woke up in the morning and started his journey towards the main town of Taewon. The pathway towards the town was kind of bumpy and rocky, causing the milk bottles to shake a little as he pulled his wagon.

But as long as no one is bothering the boy, everything (especially the milk bottles) is going to be okay.

He was halfway to Taewon when he started to feel a little hungry. He looked around the area to see if there are any fruits around until his eyes landed on a tree full of apples. He turned to his left and placed the wagon under the tree so he could climb and get an apple from there. His hands grasped the trunk the tree and then started to climb the tree until he got two apples from it.

He smiled triumphantly after that and started eating the apples peacefully. Everything here is at peace, thought Seungwan. How he wishes his life would be this peaceful.

The boy looked to his left and took a peek of the town through the dense trees around the area. His heart started to beat fast, knowing that he’s almost close. Finishing his apples in a hurry, he got up from his seat and followed the path while taking the wagon with him.

Trees started to get a little denser in this part of the path and the pathway got a little wider and smoother than before.

And then the boy stopped, arriving in front of the entrance gate of the main town. He took a while to observe every detail of the gate, the leaves and vines engulfing the dirty white gate and the old, little sign at the top saying; Welcome to the Town of Taewon.

Smiling widely at the gate in front of him, he held the wagon’s handle tightly and ran inside the town’s gate.

He has always thought of the town being colorful and vibrant, buildings around them were huge and even a blue tram will roam around the town. As he entered the gates, he looked and saw no colorful buildings in sight. But he saw a vast field of daisies in front of him with a little house in the middle.

Seungwan tilted his head to side in confusion, but then decided to approach the little house in the middle of the vastness of the field. Gladly, there is also a little pathway towards the structure so he wouldn’t ruin any of the pretty flowers around him.

As he stood in front of the doorstep and started to softly knock on the door.

No one answered at first until he knocked again, causing the door to open abruptly, surprising the boy. “Oh! Sorry! I-I didn’t hear you knock on the door.” A girl same as his age appeared in front of his eyes.

She is wearing a simple, plain blouse with a brown skirt up to her knees. Her hair is styled into a ponytail with only a white ribbon, which perfectly fits the girl’s innocent aura.

Seungwan bet that this would be the prettiest girl in this town. “So, what brings you here?”

The boy shook his head vigorously and gave her an awkward grin. “U-Um, would you like some milk bottles? I-I’m currently selling them.” He stepped aside a little so he could show her his wagon full of milk bottles.

“No thanks, sorry about that.” The girl shrugged while scratching her nape. “Oh…” Seungwan looked away from the girl and turned his attention towards the flowers.

“My mom actually plants and sells those flowers. Aren’t they pretty?”

The boy looked up at the girl again and nodded bashfully. “Y-Yeah…they are…”

“Do you help your mom sell flowers?” asked Seungwan, his eyes still on the flowers.

The girl shook her head with a small smile. “Nope, but I sell newspapers! My dad is actually a writer but he couldn’t walk to sell his own newspapers. So then I decided to sell it for him.” She grinned innocently. “Wait, your dad can’t walk?”

“Yup, he lost his leg after he fell on the bridge in the main entrance of this town and the bike just...crushed his leg.” The girl winced after saying that. “But he’s in a wheel chair now, so he could come and help my mom on the flower shop.”

“So this isn’t the main entrance?”

“Nope, the main entrance is still right over there.” She pointed to the far right from their home. “It’s far from here, actually.”

“Then…what entrance is that?” Seungwan looked over to the direction he entered. “Oh! That’s the back gate of Taewon. Only people we know came from that entrance like my grandparents and cousins.” said the girl. “Wait a minute, why did you come from there?”

Seungwan shrugged, making eye contact with her. “I don’t know, a baker living near our village told me to go that way.”

“Oh…that’s actually my uncle!” The girl giggled. “His bakes are a bit strange to me, but hey, they’re kind of delicious, I guess.”

“They’re actually delicious! Even a piece of plain bread is already appetizing to me.” Seungwan shyly grinned. “I see that you live in Cheongju. I’ve visited that village many times.” The girl giggled. Seungwan’s eyes popped out of its sockets after hearing that. “W-When?”

“When I was little, I still remembered some of my friends there and people there are very nice when we arrived. But then we stopped visiting that village because none of our family members lives there anymore.”

The boy started to calm down a little. He was about to dig a hole up under him and hide under it forever, thinking that the girl must’ve witness some stuff there. ‘Sure, people there are very nice.’ thought Seungwan. Usually, the villagers became nice once there are people coming there from the main town, saying that the visitors from Taewon are more superior than they are.

“Anyway…are your parents in your flower shop?” asked Seungwan. “Yup! The flower shop is just a few blocks away from here. Want me to show you?”

The boy’s eyes twinkled in anticipation. “Y-Yeah! Sure!”

“Alright, hold on, let me get my stuff first. I’ll be selling my dad’s newspapers in a minute.” She gave him an innocent grin before leaving him behind for a while, the door of their house still open.

Seungwan hasn’t visited the front entrance of the town yet, but he chose t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter