Chapter One: The Life of Milk Bottle Boy

The Girl Selling Newspapers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Son Seungwan is known for being a troublemaker in their small village. He would run around the village, throwing rocks at the other villagers’ livestock with his two friends and he would even talk rudely towards them just for his own pleasure.

And that resulted to him selling milk bottles all day as a daily punishment. Carrying his large, red wagon around the village full of milk bottles, the little boy isn’t allowed to interact with his only two friends and he would only take breaks in his family’s farm. And not only that, he’s supposed to follow such strict rules at the age of three after villagers were outraged about his rowdy behavior.

He would only play with his friends at midnight, where they would do the same rowdy stuff again and again but secretly.

Of course, the villagers already knew who to blame if their livestock have cuts and bruises.

“So does that mean you won’t be playing with us anymore for the whole week?” a younger boy wearing an oversized shirt and some pairs of dirty shorts looked up at Seungwan with sad, puppy eyes.

“Sorry, but yes. My mom told me we almost killed one of my neighbor’s pigs.” Seungwan replied glumly. The other boy, who’s slightly older than Seungwan, stared at him preparing his red wagon to sell one batch of milk bottles.

Seungwan is wearing his uniform of today; he wore baby blue jumpers with shorts and a light blue shirt while wearing the same baby blue newsboy cap.

“Well, I guess we could sneak in again later night.” whispered the boy wearing a muddy red shirt and the same old, dirty, shorts. “Nah, I can’t, my mom and dad are now keeping an eye on me on the stables.” Seungwan replied with a sad sigh.

So basically, the boy sleeps in the stables on the haystacks ever since he was a baby. The first reason why he slept there is because, according to his parents, he isn’t special, that’s all.

“Then you must do something!” The younger one begged desperately. “Soonyoung-ah, I told you my parents are keeping an eye on me.” Seungwan repeated angrily.

“No choice, we’ll see each other next week.”

“Son Seungwan?! Are you talking to your friends again?” Seungwan jumped on his place before pushing both of his friends down so they could hide behind the fence gates. “N-No! I’m not talking to anyone, Mom!” he replied back, his hands still on top of the boys’ heads. “If I see you talk to them again, I’ll surely give you another week of selling milk bottles!” yelled Seungwan’s mom, Yoon Gyuri.

“Yes, mom.” The boy rolled his eyes. He then peeked behind the fences and saw the two boys looking up at him fearfully. “Go!” he mouthed silently before the two boys quickly ran away from the farm.

With a loud sigh, he opened the farm gates and exited the farm to sell some milk bottles.

He walked around quietly, seeing other kids running around the path walks, giving him dirty looks. “Oh, Seungwan!” A kind-looking lady waved her hand in the other with an innocent smile. Seungwan saw her immediately and ran towards his first customer of the day.

“Good morning, Mrs. Shin.” The boy greeted her monotonously. “Good morning! Now, may I have two milk bottles? My guests from the main town are coming here today! Hopefully you won’t do anything bad, Seungwan-ah.” The lady gave him a wide grin. Meanwhile, Seungwan secretly rolled his eyes and took two milk bottles without saying a single word.

Mrs. Shin chose to leave her son with Seungwan after telling him that she has to clean his messy bedroom. And everything went horribly wrong when she made that decision.

“Hey, Seungwan.” Mrs. Shin’s teenage son, Shin Hyeoktae, called the boy with his arms folded. Seungwan puts the bottles in front of him and looked up at him lazily. “What is it again, Hyeoktae?”

“Did your mommy gave you another punishment?” he asked mockingly, an evil smirk appearing on his lips. Seungwan ignored his words and gave him a ‘pay this or I’ll give you a punch’ look.

“Here you go,” he gave Seungwan two, large, bronze coins, which alarmed the boy. “Give me more,” he gave Hyeoktae a glare. “More? Are you that desperate to be rich, huh?” the teen boy glared back at him. “No, it’s just you paid too low for this! You were supposed to pay me two little strunlings (small silver coins) because one milk bottle costs ten!” Seungwan defended.

“I don’t think so! You don’t know how to count!” Hyeoktae spat back. Seungwan clenched his fists angrily before letting out a loud sigh. “I know how, you stupid idiot!”

“What have you called my son, Seungwan?” Mrs. Shin suddenly appeared behind Hyeoktae with a stern look. “Mom! Seungwan told me that I pay too low for his milk bottles!” the boy tried to look helpless in front of his mother, which annoys Seungwan greatly.

“What? How much did you pay?”

“Two large credits (large bronze coins),” Hyeoktae answered in a small voice. “That’s too low, Shin Hyeoktae. But since I heard you call my son an idiot, you have to take those two large credits for now!”

Seungwan turned pale after hearing that. “But Mrs. Shin—”

“No buts! Now go!” she took the two milk bottles and slammed the door in front of him. “She’s going to tell my mom a little later.” He lets out a tired sigh before proceeding to his next customer.

“Hello, Mr. Ahn,” Seungwan gave the man sitting right outside his house a polite bow. “Give me one bottle,” he grumbled, taking another bottle of alcohol from a box beside him and opened it with a bottle opener. “Here you go, Mr. Ahn. That would cost a a little strunling.” said the little boy softly.

“Here, I don’t want t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter