Chapter Six: Sweet Like Bingsu

The Girl Selling Newspapers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The scent of fried eggs reached into Seungwan’s nostrils early in the morning. He groaned a little in response as he stretched his limbs, his eyes closed shut.

One of his eyes opened to see where he was. He is inside a small room with only two sleeping bags placed on the wooden floor with a cabinet placed near the doorway at his front.

Joohyun actually told Seungwan to stay in her house to sleep. Of course, Seungwan refused to sleep inside their house since their bedroom is only fit to three people. Gladly, she told him that they had a vacant room somewhere in the flower shop where guests could sleep in if they wanted to stay in their place.

 He looked at the other sleeping bag right beside him to see that it was empty, leaving him confused.

Did Joohyun left to sell her dad’s newspapers?

Seungwan pouted a little at the thought. He doesn’t want Joohyun to leave his side without him knowing. But then as he got up from his sleeping bag, Joohyun entered the bedroom while wearing a plain red apron. “Morning, Wan-ah~” Joohyun gave Seungwan a sweet grin.

“Hmm? I thought you went out without me knowing.” Seungwan yawned.

“I won’t do that, silly. Why would I leave my boyfriend?” Joohyun approached with a wide grin plastered on her lips. Seungwan stopped on his tracks, giving her a raised brow despite his sleepy state.

“Boyfriend…?”

Joohyun chuckled at his response and gave him a peck on the lips. “Yes, Wannie. Don’t you also want us to be a couple?”

Seungwan hesitated. Yes, he is currently feeling giddy after Joohyun told him that (especially when Joohyun called him ‘Wannie’) but… does her parents know about this?

“Yup, I told my parents about this and told me that they approved on our relationship.” She hopped in front of him excitedly. “They…approved?”

“Yes!” Joohyun both of his hands with the same smile.

“But Joohyun, you do know that I don’t know how to even—” His words got cut off by Joohyun, kissing him lovingly in the lips, her hands cupping the sides of his face gently.

They kissed for a while inside the room with Joohyun caressing his cheeks soothingly so Seungwan’s anxiety would lessen even a little. And it worked, Seungwan started to relax a little due Joohyun’s magical touch and slowly s his hands around her waist.

Breaking the kiss, Joohyun stared up at her boyfriend with a smirk after seeing that small pout of his. “Oh Seungwan, I never knew you could be this cute.” Joohyun pinched his cheeks teasingly.

Seungwan wanted to whine about breaking the kiss but then chose to just keep it to himself, too shy to even say so. Though, his sulky face and grumpy pout is still in that handsome face.

“Anyway, you don’t need to worry, Wannie. Besides, my parents love you a lot, even my dad, surprisingly.” Joohyun paused to giggle a little.

“So, you don’t need to worry much anymore. Besides, you should move in here with us! I mean, you know, so that you could stay away from those…people.” Joohyun cringed at the last word. She clearly wants to call those villagers ‘monsters’ instead of ‘people’ after what they have done to her boyfriend.

“R-Really?” Seungwan’s sulky look turned into a face full of hope and anticipation. Joohyun nodded with a grin.

“Of course!”

“A-Are you sure?”

Joohyun nodded again. “Come on, Seungwan! You don’t need to hesitate! We’ve already started planning about making our house a little bigger for you to stay! Or maybe, if you still don’t want to, we could just make another house in the fields just like ours!” Joohyun squealed after saying the last sentence.

“Wait, another house?” Seungwan quirked his brow.

“Yeah! You and I can live inside it and maybe…make our own family together?” The lady shyly hid her hands behind her back while a shade of red started spreading throughout their cheeks.

“W-Well, I would love to stay with you all but who will build the house?”

“Us! Me, my parents, my friends, and other of our relatives can go and help us out on building our new house!” Joohyun clapped her hands fervently while Seungwan smiled down at her.

“That’s really great, Joohyun. But, I kind of need your help about something.” He pursed his lips while Joohyun raised both of her eyebrows at him.

“What is it?” she asked.

“You know, about finding out who my mother really is and why exactly the villagers really despised her.”

His voice turned a little softer as he said the whole sentence, feeling a little guilty for changing a favourable topic. “Oh, that! Of course, I can help you. When do you want to start investigating?” she asked eagerly.

“Is it alright if we start today?”

Joohyun smiled up at him. “Sure, but we should breakfast first.” Joohyun stood beside her boyfriend and held his hand, their fingers intertwined. “Come on, Mom already cooked some fried egg with Dad.” She brought him out of the room and to the dining table with her parents already seated.

They took their breakfast quietly, sometimes they would also have a short chat about the current news that Mr. Bae have found out today.             

Seungwan isn’t the type of person to read or even listen to the news but what really caught his attention is that a college girl has been in a local pub somewhere near a school named ‘The Southern University of Taewon’ last night.

“What? Why?” Joohyun asked, the tone of her voice is full of anxiety and concern.

“According to the patrols whom I contacted early this morning, they said that the student is about to go back home after a long time for not seeing her parents when a drunk man in the pub, blocks away from the school, took her inside and started her.” He explained.

“The staff had heard her screams but are too scared to even make a move since the man had a gun on his hand, pointing at them directly before quickly heading to the rooms of the pub to sleep with her.” Mr. Bae finished with a sigh.

“Oh my, I felt bad for that girl. She’s just trying to go home to see her parents.” Aunt Yulbi started to cry a little at the statement.

Seungwan nodded in response with his lips pursed. He’s currently having a lot of goosebumps on his arms at horrific story.

“Yeah, I know, sometimes being a writer of newspapers feels a little depressing whenever I hear news like those.” Mr. Bae removed his square-shaped glasses down at the table. “Anyway, are you two planning on having a date? I see that you two have already been a couple.” He said as he turned his head to Seungwan with a small smile.

“U-Um, well, it’s not really a date, Mr. Bae.” Seungwan bashfully replied as he finished his meal.

“Hmm?” Mr. Bae tilted his head a little in response.

“I was actually planning if Joohyun could help me on finding about my biological mother.”

“Oh, of course, Seungwan. I guess I’ll be selling my newspapers today.” Mr. Bae looked at his daughter and hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter