Chapter Three: A Visit Gone Wrong

The Girl Selling Newspapers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan and Joohyun have been selling their products around the whole town for hours. Of course, they would sometimes visit Joohyun’s favorite place to stay when she’s exhausted from all that work, which is the park near the sea shore.

They visited that place after all of their products sold out and got to see the pretty sunset as they sat on a bench in the park.

Seungwan has never seen the sunset this properly after his uncle and aunt wouldn’t let him out of the stables at night and the fact that the stables barely have any windows.

“I never knew the sunset would be this beautiful.” Seungwan whispered in awe as he stared at the horizon. Joohyun looked at him and gave him a genuine smile. “Really, huh? But now you see.” Joohyun grinned. “I recommend you to see the sunset always, Seungwan. It’s worth watching when you’re exhausted from work.”

Seungwan nodded, his eyes still staring at the sunset. “I will,”

The two then headed back to Aunt Yulbi’s flower shop when night came by using the tram again after the park is miles away from it.

Seungwan also wanted to stay on Joohyun’s for a day but realizing that their house consists of only one bedroom, he decided that he would just sleep near the bakery shop. “What?! Come on, Seungwan. My parents don’t mind at all!”

Seungwan shook his head at her response. “I’m still going to sleep near the bakery no matter how much you nag me to sleep in your house.”

Joohyun gave him a cute pout. “Fine,” she turned around and took two sleeping bags from her own pink cabinet from the bedroom. Seungwan waited near the doorway of the bedroom and gave the girl a surprised look after seeing her carrying two sleeping bags. “Where are you—”

“I’m going to sleep with you in the bakery. I don’t want to see people sleeping on the streets alone.”

“Joohyun, no, sleep in your bedroom.” Seungwan gently took the sleeping bag from her and puts it back inside the cabinet. “Please let me, I really can’t help but feel a little guilty when I let someone sleep in the streets.” The girl gave him a desperate look with a pair of puppy eyes.

Because of those adorable, puppy eyes, Seungwan lets out a frustrated sigh and nodded after realizing that he fell for her. “F-Fine, fine, let’s go.”

Joohyun squealed in excitement and took her sleeping bag back from the cabinet. “Let’s go!”

The girl told this to her parents and shockingly, her parents agreed to it. So then the two proceeded to walk out of the back gate of the town and headed towards the bakery shop in the pathway. “Good evening, Uncle Jiwoo!” Joohyun entered the bakery shop with a wide grin plastered to her lips.

“Oh, good evening, Joohyun! What brings you here?” The baker of the shop gave the girl a cordial grin. Seungwan walked up behind quietly and looked up at the baker with an awkward grin. “Oh, you brought this boy from Cheongju?” The baker gave Seungwan a playful wink. “Yup! And he’s my new friend!” Joohyun proudly mentioned that.

“That’s good, anyway, would you two like some of my garlic bread?”

Joohyun was about to say yes when Seungwan pulled her arm and gave her an anxious look. “What?” she whispered.

“I don’t have enough money to buy food!” whispered the boy in her ear when Joohyun giggled. “Hey, don’t worry. My uncle gives food for free when I’m here with someone!” The girl looked up at her uncle and nodded.

“Come on, let’s take a seat.” Joohyun guided Seungwan to a nearby table with two chairs. “S-Sorry, it’s just…I’m used to paying, you know?” the boy bashfully scratched the bck of his head. “That’s alright~ You don’t need to apologize.” beamed Joohyun.

Seungwan blushed furiously. He always felt something fluttering whenever someone acts this warm to him.

Joohyun’s uncle then gave them freshly baked garlic bread in a small plate for them to enjoy before sleeping in the streets. “Not gonna lie, that garlic bread was delicious.”

The girl giggled at his comment. “Want some more? I can ask for more.” Joohyun asked when Seungwan shook his head. “No, I’m already full.”

“Alright, if you ever feel like craving some garlic bread, just come and visit my uncle’s bakery.” Joohyun gave him a grin. “Come on, let’s go to sleep now. I’m feeling really tired today.” She yawned.

Seungwan lied down on one of Joohyun’s extra sleeping bags and made himself comfortable inside. “I always like watching stars in the sky.” Joohyun said softly. She’s already wrapped in the sleeping bag and her eyes are watching the stars softly twinkling in the night sky. Seungwan looked at her and then at the stars.

“What’s with the stars? I mean, they’re up in the sky doing…nothing.”

Joohyun giggled at his comment and lets out a loud sigh. “Look closely, Seungwan.”

The boy stared at the stars for thirty seconds but he couldn’t see anything at all. “…I still couldn’t see anything.”

The girl took his hand and used his index finger to trace the stars’ positions. “If you connect those bright five stars together, you’ll see something.”

“But…it’s just a five stars doing a letter ‘w’.” said Seungwan, looking unimpressed by those stars. Joohyun giggled at his silliness and took his hand again.  “It’s not just a ‘w’, Seungwan. It’s a constellation of Cassiopeia.”

“A what?”

“Cassiopeia, it’s actually named after a queen in Greek mythology. Cassiopeia was a vain queen who used to boast about her beauty. She even said that her beauty was greater than the sea nymphs and what she said was quite offensive so she was banned to the sky for all to gawk at.” Joohyun said, which somehow amazed Seungwan again.

“How did you know all about that?”

“From my dad. He likes doing this ever since he was little whenever he couldn’t sleep. So he taught me the constellations in the sky so I could entertain myself too.”

“Constellations? I’ve never heard of those before.”

“Want me to teach you some constellations?”

Both of them made eye contact and stared at each other’s eyes for a while. “Sure,” Seungwan shrugged casually.

Joohyun then started to teach him the constellations of the sky and she would also tell him the back story of those patterns. “Do you have a favorite in one of those constellations?” Seungwa questioned her after Joohyun told him all about the Ursa Minor. “Hmm, I’ll say the Ursa Minor.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know, it looks like a pan somehow.”

Seungwan laughed a little at the girl’s response. “What? That’s all?

“Yeah! I find it amusing after finding out that it looks like a pan!”

“What about your dad? Does he have a favorite too?”

Joohyun paused to think about it. “I honestly don’t know. All I know is that he likes looking at the stars and made them into constellations.”

“Oh wait! Also, are you going back to your village tomorrow?” Joohyun questioned him. “Yeah, I don’t want my parents to find out that I’ve been going to Taewon. They actually won’t let me visit Taewon for some reason.” said Seungwan in a soft voice.

“Oh yeah, thanks for teaching me all those constellations, Joohyun.” Seungwan gave her a genuine smile. Joohyun smiled back in response and closed her eyes after feeling really sleepy and tired from all those fun adventures hours ago. “Good night, Joohyun.”

“Good night…” is what she said before both of them fell asleep in their own sleeping bags.

 


 

The next morning, Seungwan woke up early in the morning to go back to his small village. Joohyun was still asleep and he doesn’t want her to wake up so he quietly folded the sleeping bag and entered the bakery, which is opened this early in the morning. “Good morning, sir.” Seungwan slowly opened the entrance door, his eyes squinting after the bright rays of the sun reached into the bakery’s windows. “Good morning, boy. Where’s Joohyun?” he asked while putting his newly baked cookies in the oven.

“She’s still sleeping, sir. And may I please have a loaf of plain bread?”

“Don’t you want some of my garlic bread too? I saw that you appreciated it a lot.” The baker

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter