Chapter 7

AT SUNSET RIVER

Chapter 7

 

Cloudy Complex, 8:03pm

“How was it ruled suicide?” Jinyoung asked Yugyeom. He was hoping the younger’s father already shared some details to him. “Well, Bam and I found him in the tub and his skin was a bit blue and his mouth was foaming. Turns out he injected some kind of drug into himself.”

Mark was trying to think of something when Sheriff Kim approached their group and turned to looked at Youngjae. “Well, son, you need to start calling your parents now.” And the addressed guy frowned at that. “I’m sorry, what for? What happened?” He asked.

“Guess what we found? A bag with initials CSJ on it.” Youngjae’s face became pale after hearing that piece of information. “That’s not all.”

“T-there’s more?” Youngjae stuttered and all of his friends were looking at him worried now. “It is bag full of paper cash. The total amount in there was almost half a million. We’re just not sure if the guy already spent some of it.” The sheriff added.

“Okay, I’m going to give them a call.” He announced as he started dialing his mom’s number.

 

Charlie’s Diner, 9:45pm

“Well, . There goes our lead and our chance of finding out anything related to Hyunwoo’s case.” Jackson muttered lowly but everyone in their booth can still hear him.

“Don’t you think the timing’s all too perfect? We find out about Rattle’s connection to Hyunwoo and then the next day, he suicides? I mean, what are the odds?” Bambam mumbled. Youngjae was silently listening to the conversation while his mind was already thinking of ways to confront his parents later and maybe try to get a detail or two.

“I’m sorry this happened, guys. I promise I’ll talk to my parents again tonight and ask them about their involvement in Rattle’s death.” The guy spoke in a hushed manner. “Hey, it’s fine. It must be scary for you to hear about the information Sheriff Kim told us. We’re sorry it happened to you.”

“Yeah. Unless you were the one who paid Rattle to go kill himself, we won’t blame you for it.” Yugyeom added. Youngjae sighed. “Thanks, guys. I’m going to have to head home early tonight. Thanks for trusting me.” Then he stood up. And as he was about to open the diner’s door, Jinyoung called out to him.

“Hey, Youngjae! Let me send you home. The news about your parents’ involvement in Rattle’s death might have spread around town now. It’s not good for you to walk alone.” Jinyoung said as he feels sorry for younger guy. Mark’s eyebrows scrunched from hearing what Jinyoung was suggesting.

The other stared at his face for awhile before giving him a small smile. “Are you sure?” Youngjae asked. “Yes. Now, let’s get going before it gets even later than now.” Jinyoung answered then turned back to their booth and talked to Jackson.

“Can you give Mark a ride home for tonight in your motorcycle? Just for tonight. I need to make sure Youngjae gets home safely.”

Something was bubbling inside Mark as he just stared at Jinyoung and Youngjae walking away. And whatever feeling was forming inside him, it isn’t welcomed. Mark feels like he might throw up anytime. “Looks like it’s you and me on your way home tonight, buddy.” Jackson winked playfully at him and Mark just scorned at him. He definitely wasn’t in the mood to joke around anymore.

 

The MiniPalais, 11:10pm

Youngjae was sitting on the couch in the living room, sipping wine while waiting for his parents to arrive home. The front door opened and his parents entered the apartment. Sonji immediately noticed him and sat next to him.

“Honey, why are you still awake?” she asked.

“What was the bag doing there?” Youngjae asked straight to the point. Seojin sighed as he took off his tie. “We’ll discuss about it tomorrow. Your mom and I are tired and we need rest tonight.” He said quickly, trying to dismiss the topic.

“No! You told me you were already done with shady business! But what was that? Huh, dad?! What was the bag doing there?!” Youngjae was determined to find out the truth tonight. “Youngjae! Watch your tone, young man! You’re talking to your father.” Sonji scolded him.

“You want to know the truth? Fine.” Mr. Choi said. “We have no idea how it got there. We never paid him for anything.”

Youngjae wasn’t satisfied with that answer so he kept pushing them. “Well, tell me what you think of it? Any suspicions? Who are the people you paid using that bag and tell me how you think it somehow ended up in Rattle’s apartment? You say family is the most important thing yet you keep such secrets and lies to your own child!”

“We can’t disclose anything about why there were transactions unless you handle the business, darling. But I’m going to give you an information that should satisfy you. We only paid two people in this town using that bag. First, the mayor. Second, the Im’s father. Happy? Satisfied? Now, can we get some sleep already?” Youngjae’s father asked, his voice laced with sarcasm.

“But I don’t understand. I searched your office. I didn’t see anything about you paying the mayor.” Youngjae questioned.

“Perhaps you were looking at the wrong place, sweetie.” His father replied before he went inside the master bedroom. “What does that even mean? Mom?” He turned to look at his mother who was keeping her silence until then. She took a deep breath and looked at her son in the eyes. “Your father didn’t lie to you, love. And you were indeed searching in the wrong location. He wasn’t the one who paid the mayor, dear. I did.” Youngjae gasped at the newly shared detail.

“You what? Mom, I can’t believe this.” He exclaimed, feeling betrayed by his own parents. “Why would you do that?” He is really feeling disappointed right now.

“Investigating further about that kid’s death would compromise our family’s business, son. I did it for us. For you. So, you won’t have a hard time here and our business will keep running without any problems.” His mother tried to explain. But something about her statement didn’t make sense for Youngjae. “What do you mean? We’re just producing rums and beers. How will the investigation affect it? And why are you paying Mr. Im?”

“The Ims run a maple business. We were using that to improve the quality of our drinks. The maple trees they get the syrup from are located near Sunset river. We just stopped the investigation so that it will stop being the town’s talk. We prevented it from spreading any further or worse, we stopped the news from reaching outside of this town.” Youngjae didn’t say anything. He just nodded and put his wineglass on the coffee table before leaving to his room.

No matter how much explanation his parents tell him, he couldn’t trust them fully anymore. So that night, he decided to play along with them until he gathers his own answers.

 

Arzenville High hallway

“So, pretty boy, how did your date go last night?” Mark asked as he approached Jinyoung while the latter was fixing his things in his locker. The younger frowned at his question. “What date?”

“Oh, you know. The knight in shining armor making sure the wealthy prince gets home safely.” Mark teased as they started walking towards their first class.

Jinyoung snorted, “First of all, it wasn’t a date. Second, I was not, still am not a knight in shining armor. I was a friend concerned because it isn’t safe for the kid to go around town alone when his parents were involved in a crime scene. For all we know, Rattle has a family and is now seeking revenge. Plus, if I’m a part of any castle, I won’t be the knight. I’d be the prince…of Pythons. Python prince, like you said.” He answered cheekily and shrugged.

Mark giggled, “Well, your highness, may I know what you think of the prince from the other kingdom?” he asked while raising his eyebrows repetitively.

“He’s good. Fun to be with, his laugh is so infectious. But that’s about it. He’s a nice friend. I like him.” Jinyoung smiled as he entered the classroom and took a sit in his usual spot. Jackson entered the room that same time and put his bag onto the chair.

“Hey, Jinyoung. Can you come with me? I just need to ask you about something.” Jackson smiled and nodded at Mark as a greeting.

“Sure, what’s up?” Jinyoung answered as he stood up from his seat and went outside with Jackson.

“This has been nagging at me for awhile now. But have you guys ever considered Mr. or Mrs. Tuan to be somehow involved in Hyunwoo’s death?” Jackson whispered carefully while looking around to check if someone heard them.

“What? You’re not making any sense, Jacks. Why would they get involved?” Jinyoung looked at his friend weirdly.

“Well, for starters, they never really accepted their relationship. Also, didn’t the Tuans and the Ims have a long-running clan rivalry? It happened a long time ago but to this day, they still hate each other a lot.” Jackson put his hands on each side of his waist and shrugged his shoulders.

“That does not prove anything. Like you said, it’s long-running. Why kill someone now? Plus, things like parents not approving of their child’s relationship with someone is normal, okay? But I don’t think they would go as far as taking away someone’s life.” The younger said, trying not to get the theory get into his mind. Because somehow, he thinks it could actually be possible. He just refuses to believe it because he knows it would break Mark’s heart if they, his own friends, accuse his parents.

“But think about it, who else would know Hyunwoo was going to Orange Grove that morning? Mark’s parents found him there that time knowing that their son was waiting in that place for his lover. They knew the two of them were going to meet there and run away. So, they also must have known that at some point, Hyunwoo will also go there. They and Mark were the only ones who knew Hyunwoo was going to be there as well.” The shorter boy said trying to explain further.

Jinyoung knows it makes reasonable sense yet he was still a bit hesitant. But he has to do it if it is one way of discovering the truth surrounding Hyunwoo’s death.

“Fine.” Jinyoung sighed. “But I need to gather courage and find the right timing to ask Mark about it.”

Jackson nodded and they went back to their classroom and went to their seats like nothing happened. Except, Jinyoung isn’t really good at it.

“What was that about?” Mark asked Jinyoung who was staring into space. “Hey!” the former snapped his fingers in front of Jinyoung’s eyes to snap him back into reality.

“What?” the younger asked, clueless as to what was happening.

“You were out of it. I asked what Jackson needed you for?” Jinyoung inhaled sharply. “Nothing. Just went and accompanied him to the coach and asked if he could still join the varsity or if it’s too late.” The latter said as an excuse.

“Ah. And the verdict?” Mark smiled. “H-he can still join.” The younger stuttered.

Seeing Mark’s innocent smile made it even harder for Jinyoung to find the courage to ask Mark about the thing Jackson suggested and he was now pondering about. But his thoughts were cut off when the sheriff knocked on their door. And this time, it wasn’t Jinyoung anymore.

“Mark Tuan, you have the right to remain silent. Any words you say now may be used against you during investigation.” Sheriff Kim said while the other police are putting handcuffs on Mark already before leading him out of the school. Jinyoung saw Mark teared up before leaving the room.

He was definitely stunned. Jackson took the seat Mark left beside Jinyoung and faced him. “Jinyoung. What the did we just witness?” He asked in a serious voice. But they couldn’t discuss it any further when their teacher went it and started her class.

It’s safe to say that Jinyoung was distracted the whole day. He couldn’t wait to find out what was going on and how Mark was doing.