Chapter 4

AT SUNSET RIVER

Chapter 4

 

Charlie’s Diner, 5:00pm

Two strawberry milkshake, three vanilla, one chocolate, six sets of burgers and fries. On one side of the table, Youngjae seated beside Bambam who was beside Yugyeom who was beside the window. On the other side, Mark is sitting in front of Yugyeom. Beside him was Jinyoung then Jackson.

Jinyoung took a sip of his vanilla milkshake and cleared his throat to call everyone’s attention. “So, what were the two of you talking about that day in the comfort room?” he asked curiously to which Yugyeom frowned a little to. “Jeez, can’t pick the right time to ask that question?”

The other older guy shrugged, “I need to ask it now or I might forget it later when I’m too full to think.” He replied casually. The two youngest eyed each other before Bambam spoke. “We have to tell you guys something. But promise us it won’t change the way you see us.” Mark tensed up.

 

FLASHBACK

On the way to school, 7:00am

“Mark, there’s actually something that’s been bugging me since yesterday.” Jinyoung said as he and Mark was walking to Arzenville High. “Do tell.” The Taiwanese replied.

“I overheard Yugyeom and Bambam talking to each other yesterday morning in the comfort room. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but I was there and they weren’t exactly whispering.” He paused to catch his breath before proceeding to tell Mark everything he heard from their two friends. “It sounds fishy and like they’re guilty of something they both did.”

The other stopped on his tracks. He does not want to believe it but he can’t cross out the possibility either. He can’t trust anyone for now. But they were still their friends and Mark wanted to give them the benefit of doubt.

“Maybe they were talking about another thing. But we can’t be sure either.” He said before starting to walk again. “Well, there’s only one way to find out, right? We’re going to have to corner them or something.” The younger suggested.

“That’s right.”

 

PRESENT TIME

“The day before Hyunwoo’s body was found, we were there too.” Mark gasped at Bambam’s statement. “Did you…? Were you guys the one who-“ the oldest of the group was close to tearing up again.

“What? No! God, no! We would never do that.” Yugyeom immediately clarified. “But you never reported the gunshot when you heard them. You didn’t even tell your father that you were there.” Jinyoung retorted.

“I’m lost. Is this about the student who died a week before school started?” Youngjae asked Jackson who was just listening to the whole conversation. “Yeah. He was Mark’s boyfriend.” That made the other’s mouth form an o shape and nodded in understanding.

“I can’t believe you would think of us like that. Some kind of friend you are.” Bambam replied to Jinyoung with a tone of sarcasm. “Well, you can start explaining anytime now so we can clear the air. The things you guys just said don’t exactly make put you in an innocent picture.” The brunette said.

The younger scoffed, “We didn’t say anything about it because us being there was supposed to be a secret. We weren’t ready to tell anyone yet but since we’ve been put in a tight spot now, we have no choice but to tell you guys already that…Yugyeom and I have been dating each other.” Bambam announced and everyone was surprised. Jackson almost spit the milkshake he was drinking.

Mark was stunned. “What?” He asked again. Wondering if he just somehow imagined or heard things. But Jinyoung had a different question. “What the ? Since when? Why did you guys never told us?” he raised his eyebrow and crossed his arms across his chest.

“Since summer. We didn’t know how to tell you guys. And we especially didn’t know how to tell my dad that I’m not really straight. So, we’ve been keeping it a secret.” The youngest explained. “Is that why your dad told you’ve been going home past 12 these past few weeks? You two have been sneaking out?” Jinyoung asked incredulously.

“That’s right. And that morning that we heard the gunshot, it was one of the times I sneaked out. My dad didn’t know I was out. Obviously, he did not and still does not know I was there because we decided to be teenagers and made out early in the morning. So, we didn’t how to tell him about the gunshot.” Yugyeom added.

“Wild. 7 in the morning and your hormones were raging.” Jackson whistled teasing the two while Youngjae giggled and Bambam hissed. “So now you guys know.”

“I’m sorry I suspected you two. It’s just, I can’t really trust anybody fully right now.” Mark asked and hanged his head low. The whole table went silent and Jinyoung patted his back. Bambam held Mark’s hand, “It’s okay. We understand. It must be really difficult for you right now.” Then he gave the Taiwanese a soft smile.

“Well Mark and I are trying to investigate right now. So, if you guys hear or find out about something, anything, we share it with each other. We are all part of this now, you hear me? We can’t wait for the authorities anymore. They’re not even doing the job properly since they just want to rule it out as suicide.” Jinyoung revealed to the others.

“Oh, I might have an intel about that. My dad actually wanted to focus on this case but the Mayor said it’s not priority right now. From what I heard she’s being paid by an anonymous to focus on another case.” Yugyeom stated.

“An anonymous?” Mark asked in a low voice. Almost like he’s speaking to himself.

“I might be able to help on that.” Youngjae suddenly spoke. “Youngjae? How?” Jinyoung wasn’t sure if he was going to believe the other guy.

“Just trust me. Daddy has some…things that might be useful.” Then everyone exchanged looks on the table.

‘An anonymous paying to divert attention from a case. Sounds painfully familiar. But why? Why does he care about it?’ Youngjae thought to himself while the rest continued speaking and eating.

 

The MiniPalais Luxurious Apartment

“Youngjae, honey, come eat with me.” His mom, Mrs. Choi Sonji, smiled at him as she welcomed his son home. Youngjae took a sit at his mom’s right side in the long dining table. “I actually ate already, mom.”

“Oh, you did? Where? How was your first day by the way, sweetie?”

“It was perfect. I already have some friends who knows about dad and still accepted me. Went to dinner with them after school.” His mom looked at him like she’s warning him to watch his words. “Youngjae-“

“Speaking of which, where is dad?” He asked as he tilted his head to the right.

His mom sighed. “He’s out of town, doing some business. But he’ll be back later.” Youngjae raised his left eyebrow as he straightened his back again. “Business?” He asked with obvious sarcasm.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s not something illegal anymore, okay? He promised us already he’s way past that.” She tried to appease him.

“We can never be too sure, can we? Did you know that an anonymous is paying the mayor to divert the investigation from the kid who died before school started? Sounds familiar, does it not?”

“Youngjae, are you implying that your father has something to do with the death of that boy? Because I am telling you already, your father has nothing to do with it.” His mom answered with a stern voice while squinting her eyes at him.

“Whatever. I won’t know the truth anyway since you guys don’t even allow me in his office room.”

“Honey. You know why.” She reminded her son as she drank from her wine glass. “You’ll get there when you’re taking over the business already.” The boy scoffed. He was very reluctant to take over their business. He expressed it a lot of times already but his parents were just too eager.

Sonji wiped as she finished eating her meal. “So, any boys that caught my sweet son’s eyes?” She smiled at him teasingly and he started giggling. “Mom.” And he smiled sweetly at her.

“Oh no. I know that smile. Tell me about it.”

“Well,” he began as he twirled and made invisible patterns on the table with his finger, “There is this one man. Cute, smart, striking eyes. Just find him attractive, that’s all.”

“Oh, well, you can update me about him when it’s not just an attraction anymore.” And she winked at him.

The Chois most of the time disagree with each other especially about business. Youngjae is closer to his mom than he is to his dad. But they all agreed upon one thing: Family is the most important thing.

 

The MiniPalais Office Room, 2am

Youngjae tiptoed very carefully from his room to his father’s office. As soon as he stepped inside it, he started searching for anything that might be connected to the anonymous that has been paying the mayor. He opened every cabinet, looked through every paper, explored every file in the computer.

But none. He found nothing. Until he saw one drawer that he hasn’t opened yet. But it was the only one locked and he doesn’t have the key for it nor any idea of where that key might be.

“Son?” a thick manly and stern but not that threatening voiced echoed through the whole room. “What are you doing here? Looking for something?” Choi Seojin asked suspiciously. The younger guy’s whole body tensed up as he wracked his brain for an excuse.

“Dad! Hey, what are you doing up?

“I asked you first.” Mr. Choi asked. Not sounding amused at all.

“I just, I…curiosity got the best of me. I’ve spoken to mom a while ago during dinner and I really want to see what’s inside your office. So, here I am. I’m sorry for sneaking in. I just thought you won’t really allow me to come here.” Youngjae answered trying to hide his nervousness.

“I see. I’ll let you slip this time. What did you find here, anyway?” his father asked monotonously.

“Actually, nothing bad at all. I am proud of you, daddy. I really hope you’ve changed your ways.”

His father smirked at that. “What do I need to do more to prove you that I’m a changed man, son?”

“Hmm…for starters, you can open the last drawer I haven’t inspected yet. Why is it even locked?”

The older paused for a short while. “Fine. But I am telling you, you will not find anything interesting there.” Seojin announced. “To see is to believe.” Youngjae smiled.

As soon as the drawer opened, the younger immediately looked inside it. But there was only one thing in it. A gold necklace with diamonds dangling around the middle. “Now, since you saw it already, I assume you can keep it a secret from your mom? Don’t want to ruin a surprise now, do we?”

“Sure.” He was stunned. He was almost certain that his father was the one paying the mayor to halt or slow down the investigation about Hyunwoo’s death. He still doesn’t know what the possible reason might be but his instincts were telling him that it might be his dad. But even after finding no clue in the office, a nagging thought was still inside his head telling him that it’s still not impossible that his father did something.