Chapter 5

AT SUNSET RIVER

Chapter 5

Park’s Residence, during weekend

“So, you’re hanging out with that boy again?” Mrs. Park asked Jinyoung as the latter was preparing to go to Charlie’s with the man his mother was pertaining to who was waiting outside their front door. “Yes, mom. We’re friends. Always have been. Now stop it. You are not dictating me if he’s good or bad for me. He’s good, okay? I’m going now. Bye. Love you.”

“I’m telling you that boy is trouble.” Jinyoung sighed. “BYE!” He shouted before leaving the house.

“Your mom still not reacting well to our friendship?” Mark asked.

“She’s just worrying too much. Seriously? You don’t even look like you’d hurt a fly yet she thinks you might be trouble.” The younger snorted.

Charlie’s Diner

The two friends were sitting at a booth in Charlie’s while drinking their own milkshakes trying to get their brains to work. Jinyoung is listing down possible clues that may lead to Hyunwoo’s death while Mark just adds or confirms ideas or information from time to time. Jinyoung has always been the brain of the duo since they were children.

“Mark.” Jinyoung called his friend’s attention who was looking outside the shop’s window with the straw between his lips. “Yeah?” the other replied.

“Have you ever wondered where Hyunwoo might have gotten $100,000 in just a week?”

The Taiwanese stopped drinking and turned his head to Jinyoung. “He told me not to think of it and I guess it kind of instilled in me not to wonder about it. But now that you asked, do you think he was involved in some kind of illegal activity or something? I mean, 100 in a week. Is that even possible?” Mark asked worriedly.

“Well, you know what illegal business has been booming these past few days according to Yugyeom?” Mark waited for Jinyoung to proceed. “Drugs, Mark. Drugs.” The older guy’s head started throbbing. ‘. Is that why he told me not to ask about it and he’ll just meet me on the day we’ll carry on with the plan? No ing way.’

Jinyoung spoke again when he thought Mark already processed the proposed idea. “You know where we can ask and investigate about it?”

Mark looked at Jinyoung straight in his eyes. “Pythons.”

Sunny Trails- Python’s Base

Python is a well-known gang in their town. They’ve always looked intimidating in Jinyoung’s eyes. He and Mark watched from a distance for a short while before deciding to look for someone who looks sweet enough to not attack them on their first attempt.

“Hi. Please excuse us but can we ask you something?” Jinyoung said after approaching a man that looks like he’s in his 30’s and who he heard was called Rattle. “Sure. How may I help you?” He asked in a creepy low voice way and smiled also in a very creepy way. Jinyoung gulped. Maybe he wasn’t the right guy to approach.

Sensing the younger’s fear, Mark took charge of the situation. He showed Rattle a picture of Hyunwoo. “Do you happen to know if he showed up here last summer?” he interrogated. The Python member’s demeanor changed from a creepy one to a scary one. “Sorry, we don’t tell those kinds of information to anyone unless you ask the boss directly.” Then the guy smirked.

Jinyoung gulped again and Mark held his hand and squeezed it to try and calm the younger down. “Who’s your boss, then?” Mark asked as he leaned his head to the side while staring eye to eye with the older man. “Classified. Can’t tell you.” He said as he turned back and entered the bar again where all the rest of the Pythons are.

Jinyoung inhaled deeply and sighed. “Well, that was pointless.”

“It was…for now. We’re going to go home and rest for today but we are not stopping here.”

“Mark Tuan, have you lost your damn mind?” the younger asked incredulously.

“This the only lead we have right now. I’m not losing any chances.” Mark said seriously.

“You are unbelievable. Fine! Let’s risk our lives then.” Jinyoung hissed unbelievably.

Arzenville High, Student’s Lounge

The whole squad was seated in their usual place and was discussing about random things when Youngjae suddenly spoke louder than everyone, making them focus on him.

“So, I tried snooping around my dad’s office to see if he knows anything about the anonymous paying the mayor but I didn’t find anything. Seems like he’s more innocent than I thought. But don’t worry, I’ll keep trying to look for something about the anonymous person.”

“Seems like he’s not exactly the devil himself anymore, huh?” Jinyoung asked and smiled at the younger and the latter smile back brightly at him. Mark raised his eyebrow at the whole scene he was witnessing and decided he didn’t like how he felt about it for some reason. So, he cleared his throat and reported to them about his and Jinyoung’s progress.

“Well, guess who went to the Scales Base last Saturday night?” Bambam gasped upon hearing the question. “No way. You guys went where all the Pythons were? Wasn’t it scary?” the guy asked.

“Oh, it’s terrifying alright? But apparently, someone’s not going to stop until he squeezes some information from them.” Jinyoung retorted.

“It’s going to be dangerous, Mark. Are you sure you want to do it?” Jackson questioned cautiously.

“Yes. I have to. For Hyunwoo.” Yugyeom shook his head at that and spoke, “Just be careful, alright? You know how dangerous those people are.” The youngest reminded.

“Really? Be careful? That’s it? No one will try to convince him otherwise?” Jinyoung scoffed. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“We already decided to investigate on our own anyways, why stop now, right? So, just do it. Besides, it will put Mark’s heart and mind at ease if we solve this.” Jackson said while looking down. He wanted to stop them, of course. But he also wants to solve everything not just for Mark, but also for the town. The fact that someone might be a killer who is walking amongst them does not sit right with him. “But we’re coming with you.” He added.

“Oh no, we aren’t.” Bambam countered.

“We will. Come on. Let’s just think of it as…exploring. Exploring a part of town that you’ve never been to since you were always scared. Think of it as facing your fears too while you’re at it.” Youngjae suggested and chuckled.

“That’s right. So, we’re coming with you two. End of discussion.” Jackson stated firmly and smiled like he just won a debate.

Scales Base (Python’s Base) in Sunny Trails

The whole squad went inside the bar not minding the fear they’re feeling. It’s now or never.

One member of the gang noticed them. A big man with ginger long hair and overgrown facial hair. “Hey! You are not allowed here!” He growled. The whole bar came to a halt. The music stopped and everyone turned their heads to look at what was happening.

A voice boomed through the whole place saying, “It’s these es again. You kids won’t stop until you learn your lesson, will you?” It was Rattle with a cigarette between his fingers as he walked towards them.

“Calling us es when you’re here rotting instead of working out there.” Bambam bravely answered. “You do not want to go there, little boy.” Rattle threatened him.

“We demand to meet the boss.” Mark declared. Everyone was glaring at them now.

“Who do you think you are to just come in here and demand for the leader?!” the man with the long red hair shouted and grabbed Mark’s collar. The Python’s were about to attack the others as well but someone shouted before the whole thing escalated.

“That’s enough! What the hell is happening here?” Everyone stopped what they were about to do and faced their whole body to the person who spoke showing how much respect they have for him.

Mark’s eyes shot wide and got speechless. “Mark?” The boss asked.

Jinyoung just stood up from the ground from when a Python pushed him hard and looked at the man with a seemingly familiar voice and got surprised.

“Dad?” It was Mr. Park. Jinyoung’s father. “You? You are Python’s leader?” His voice shook.

“Let’s talk to the office upstairs. All you kids follow me. As for Python’s, you will never harm these children, you hear me?” He commanded to which everyone shouted a “Yes, sir!”

Mr. Park started walking back upstairs to his office. Jackson looked at Jinyoung with a questioning look, silently asking what that was all about. The younger shrugged, “I have no ing idea.” Then they started following Jinyoung’s dad. Youngjae glared at Red, the giant guy who jumped at Mark, one last time before turning his head and began walking behind the group.