Chapter 2

AT SUNSET RIVER

Chapter 2

 

September 3, 2019, 7:45am

‘Fake it ‘til you make it, Mark. Fake it ‘til you make it.’ Mark chanted in his mind while he’s looking at himself in the mirror of the school’s comfort room. He slowly closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. As he was about to exhale, he heard someone enter. He turned his head and he was met with huge twinkling dark orbs.

“Tuan.” Jinyoung acknowledges the man in front of the mirror.

“Park.” Mark said back. “How was the questioning yesterday? Did you admit your crime already or did you lie once again? That’s what you’re good at right?”

Jinyoung snorted at that. “Classic, Tuan. Can’t move on?”

“Don’t put the spotlight on me. I asked you first.”

“Well, if you insist. I need not to admit anything. I didn’t do any heinous act or whatever it is you’re trying to suggest. You know, for someone who lost a lover, you don’t seem to be sad anymore. Plus, you were always with him all the time. Why is it out of all coincidences, when he was shot, you weren’t with him? I don’t think those circumstances will keep you off the hook either, Mark.” Jinyoung stated before he went inside a cubicle while the other scoffed at that.

“Unbelievable.” The Taiwanese muttered and left the comfort room.

A few seconds later, someone entered the comfort room while Jinyoung was doing his business. He doesn’t normally eavesdrop but the conversation between two people piqued his interest.

“Gyeom, you need to tell your father already. It’s the right thing to do. You know that.” Bambam.

‘What the hell are they talking about?’ Jinyoung kept listening to the two’s conversation.

“Bam, you know what might happen when I tell him. He might never forgive me. I’m scared.” Yugyeom answered in a distressed voice.

“But you know the truth will come out soon, right? You know that, right? And you are going to have to face more consequences if you don’t tell him yourself.” The other one replied.

“I know. But how is he going to look at me after I tell him? We shouldn’t have done those things, Bam.”

“But we did, Kim Yugyeom. We can’t turn back time. You need to decide quickly on this. Or I am going to tell him myself.” Bambam said sounding determined.

“Just give me a little bit more time. I just need the courage to be honest with him.” It went silent for a few seconds before Jinyoung heard the door of the comfort room open and close again.

Jinyoung slowly went out of the cubicle he’s in and checked the other cubicles if other people heard his friends’ conversation.

12:10pm, Lunch Time, Students’ Lounge

Jinyoung was staring at his two friends located at the sofa right in front of him. They seem to act normal aside from a few slip ups here and there when they become a bit jittery and too hyperaware.

“Stop that man, you’re being creepy.” Bam called him out. Jinyoung snorted, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Bam rolled his eyes, “You’ve been staring at us for quite some time now.” And raised his left brow at Jinyoung.

“I just find you two really…uhh cute.” Jinyoung shrugged.

“Uhmm…thanks?” Bambam frowned finding his friend’s behavior weird.

“What’s up, gentlemen? What are we talking about today? Jinyoung’s interrogation? Bambam’s diva attitude? The transferee coming here tomorrow who just arrived in town?” Jackson asked, ever the hyper mood lifter one of them. He sat beside Jinyoung and put his arms around Jinyoung’s shoulders.

“Oh, nothing. Just the man in your arm creepily staring at us for how many minutes this lunch.” Yugyeom laughed.

“Oh? You started noticing how much of a chopstick they look when they are together?” teased the man beside Jinyoung. Bambam threw a pillow in his face after he scoffed.

“At least we have legs.” Bambam replied.

“I have legs t-“

“Long ones.” The younger cut off Jackson.

“The disrespect.” The shorter guy muttered then turned to Jinyoung. “So, creep, how was the interrogation yesterday?”

“Yeah, dad said you aren’t off his list yet.” Yugyeom joined in the conversation.

“I was reminded before I left. It went okay. They think I have a reason to murder the guy because we were up against each other for the captain position this year.” Jinyoung shrugged.

Jackson coughed silently and nudged Jinyoung’s elbow. Subtly pointing at Jaebeom’s direction using his eyes. He was glaring at Jinyoung. The four went silent for a few seconds before Bambam started a new conversation, trying to break the uncomfortable tension.

“So, hey Jackson, you said something about a new transferee?” Jackson’s eyes lit up. “Yeah. I heard he’s quite rich. They’ve actually been here since summer break but there were complications in his paper so he’s only able to start school tomorrow.”

Jinyoung then wondered, “Since summer break? I never saw new faces back then. I was always out during break.”

“Well, it’s rumored that they never left their penthouse since they arrived. Their necessities were brought by their personal maid and butler.” Jackson added to his information.

“Huh. Another rich kid. Like the Ims.” Yugyeom said in a low voice.

“Yeah. Anyway, you guys up for Charlie’s later? Let’s go celebrate.” Jinyoung declared while smiling.

“I mean we’re always up for it. But celebrate for what?” Jackson asked.

“Well, say hello to the new Bulldogs Team’s basketball captain!” the varsity player announced.

The three congratulated him. Jinyoung decided he’ll try to get some information from the two youngest in a different time since the mood was too celebratory. They talked about different topics until the bell rang signaling the end of lunch break.

 

Charlie’s Diner, 6:30pm

“Hi, Charlie.” Yugyeom greeted the owner of the diner who was behind the counter. “Hey kids. Nice to see you today.”

The four of them always go to the diner with Mark ever since they were kids. It doesn’t matter if there are any occasions or none, they would always meet there. And Charlie Smith, the owner, have already grew fond of the kids as if they were his own.

While they were waiting for their order, Mark went inside the diner. And of course, Jackson, being the social butterfly that he is, called him over despite knowing the situation between the other guy and Jinyoung.

“Mark! It’s so nice to see you here. Come sit with us.” The shorter guy said while smiling brightly at his friend. Jinyoung, on the other hand, stepped on Jackson’s foot while looking at him harshly.

“Ow! What was that for?” He whisper-screamed. “What the hell, Jacks? Really? You’re making him sit with us? You know we’re not in good terms.”

“Ugh, come on. You guys need to move on already. You two are still not okay because of an incident that happened like, what, 3 years ago? Didn’t you guys age enough already? Plus. He is still our friend. And I’m pretty sure friends are what he needs right now.” Jackson said the rolled his eyes.

Bambam and Yugyeom were just snickering. Interested in what will happen next.

When Mark was done ordering, he walked to the guys. “You guys won’t mind, right?” he asked shyly while giving them a small smile. Jinyoung was obviously still avoiding him. But the younger’s plan of not being noticed failed when Jackson hooked his arm on his neck.

“No, we won’t. He won’t either, right?” Jackson tightened the arm around Jinyoung’s neck. “Ouch. Fine. Just don’t choke me to death.” And he started coughing when the muscled guy let go of him. Mark was about to sit beside Bambam but didn’t get the chance to when the two youngest stopped him.

“You can’t sit there. Sorry. We’re waiting for Bam’s friend, you see.” Yugyeom exclaimed.

“We are?” Bam asked.

“Yes. In fact, there he is right now.” And the bell of the diner’s door rang. A guy with bright features went in. Nice skin, branded clothes.

“Hey. Here!” Yugyeom shouted and the guy looked at them, perplexed while scanning the people at the table. But then a little smirk appeared on his face before his features brightened.

“Hi guys.” The guy said as he stood beside Mark. “Hi. So, you want to introduce yourselves for them?” Yugyeom asked.

The guy snorted. “Uhh…of course. I’m Youngjae. Choi Youngjae.” He said then looked at Jinyoung and beamed at him.

“Oh!” Jackson yelped. “You’re the transferee. Bam, you didn’t tell us you were friends with him.” Jackson said while staring at Youngjae who is staring at Jinyoung.

“Uhh…surprise…?” Bam said before turning his head to Yugyeom to glare at him. “Come on, those two need to fix their issues already.” Yugyeom whispered to the guy beside him.

Bambam sighed. “Youngjae, hey, come sit here.” The younger said while patting the seat beside him.

“Sure. I’m just going to order first.” The other replied.

“Well, Mark? You can sit now, you know?” Jackson smiled at him. Mark breathes in and out before deciding to just go with it.

In the middle of the meal, Jinyoung felt a hand on his thigh. He looked at it and saw Mark handing him a napkin. Everybody’s in their own conversation so no one really noticed. In the napkin, Mark wrote:

“I’m sorry for everything, Jinyoung. Let’s move on already and bury the past. Congratulations on being captain, by the way.

 

Ps. I need to talk to you later. I need your help. Please.”

“Really? Did you apologize because you need help?” Jinyoung whispered to which Mark whispers back, “No. I’ve been wanting to apologize since a while ago after the comfort room incident.” And he bowed his head down. He looks like he’s on the verge of breaking down.

Jinyoung then slipped a napkin on Mark’s thigh.

“I’m just messing with you. I’m the one who should be apologizing. I’m sorry too. Let’s walk home together. You can tell me about it then.”

Mark then lifted his head up then gave Jinyoung a sad smile.

 

On the way home, 7:30pm

“So, what is it, Mark?” Jinyoung started the conversation. Mark looks like he’s having second thoughts if he really should tell the younger about what’s been bugging him. “Hey. You can trust me. I’ll listen. And I promise no matter what it is, I’ll keep it private.”

“Jinyoung…” Mark slowly looked up at Jinyoung’s eyes. “We were supposed to meet that morning. 21st of August…”