Chapter 10

AT SUNSET RIVER

Chapter 10

 

Bloodrose Mansion, 9:00AM- Hyunwoo’s wake

“Good morning to everyone here with us today.” Jaebeom started his eulogy. Everyone living in the town is there today. Jinyoung, Mark, Jackson, Bambam, Yugyeom, and Youngjae are there too. The first two mentioned was seated in the upper left corner among the row of seats provided inside the Ims’ mansion.

The two of them was keeping an eye on Mr. Im and Mr. Tuan. Yugyeom, Bambam and Jackson were located near the entrance of the house, taking note of every person who entered Bloodrose mansion. Youngjae was entertaining the guests with Jaebeom, socializing amongst the crowd.

FLASHBACK

Arzenville High Student’s Lounge

“Well, do you have any plans?” Jinyoung asked.

“As a matter of fact, I actually do have one in mind since last night already.” Jaebeom said while giving them a huge smirk on his face.

“Pray tell?” Mark questioned.

“We’ll be having Hyunwoo’s wake in the weekend. Everyone in this town is invited. Of course, the whole Im clan would be there too. First, Mark and Jinyoung, the suspect under my list is my father. Do you guys have any other lead?” the guy with slit eyes asked.

“We do but we’re not sure about it yet so we can’t really disclose any information for now.” Jinyoung answered awkwardly as he felt Mark tense up beside him knowing that his own father was the other suspect.

“So? We’re not really…sure about father either but I disclosed, didn’t I?” Jaebeom tried to push for details.

This time, Mark spoke, “Yes, right. But unlike you, we don’t have evidence. Just suspicions so…” then the older shrugged.

“Fine. Anyway, going back to the plan. I need you two to keep your eyes on my father for any suspicious activities or something. Yugyeom, Bambam, and Jackson, you’ll be keeping tabs on who enters our house so if something out of the ordinary happens inside during that time, we can easily track down everyone. Youngjae, we’re going to have to distract to guests to keep them from suspecting that something’s happening right under their noses.”

“Okay. And then?” Bambam leaned towards the Im’s second son.

“Then while everyone’s busy, Jinyoung will go to my parents’ bedroom. First door on the second floor.” Jaebeom added.

“I’ll come with him.” Mark proclaimed. Jaebeom agreed thinking the job would be a lot easier if two people are on it.

“Look for any clues connected to Hyunwoo or the gun.” Jinyoung nodded in understanding.

“Okay. Let’s do it.” Jackson agreed. They all looked at each other’s eyes while sharing knowing looks.

END OF FLASHBACK

Jinyoung subtly tapped his finger on Mark’s thigh. He pointed his lips towards one corner of the room where only a few people were. Mark frowned with what he was witnessing. He squinted his eyes to try and see more clearly.

Currently, Mr. Tuan and Mr. Im were looking like they are having a pretty serious, one can say heated, discussion. If Mark’s father’s frown and the other’s frantic hand gestures were results of it. Too bad Mark couldn’t read lips.

When Jaebeom finished his speech for his brother, Mark saw his father coughing while looking around then started walking away. Jinyoung then whispered in his ears, “Mark, get ready. It’s time.” And if he felt shivers travel down his spine caused by the feeling of the younger’s breath hitting his neck, no one would know.

Jinyoung saw Jaebeom’s subtle nod towards him. He grabbed Mark’s wrist and waltz to the second floor stealthily. When they think everything is in control, they went inside the master’s bedroom and immediately started searching. They opened every drawer and put them back again in their places. Jinyoung was going through some folders when he found a certain piece of paper. A receipt to be specific.

“Mark.” He called. The older walked towards him then looked at the paper he was holding. “What the hell?” Mark asked. They found a receipt for the gun. Nothing much, really. Just that two guns were bought by Mr. Im and the seller’s name is not indicated. Just the initials KC in them.

Suddenly, they heard footsteps coming closer towards their location. The two of them almost stopped breathing. The door opened and luckily, Jaebeom and Youngjae were the ones who opened the door. “Did you guys find anything?” the latter asked.

“What the hell, Jaebeom! You almost gave us a heart attacked.” Jinyoung exclaimed. They really though they were going to get caught in there.

“Sorry. Parents went out to boast about their syrup processing. Im’s legacy, they said.” Jaebeom smirked and shook his head thinking about how his parents could actually think of that just after his brother’s wake. It’s like they almost didn’t care at all. Jaebeom felt he was the most heartbroken when he heard the news about Hyunwoo’s body found at the river. But he realized no one was a devastated as hid older brother was that time, Hyunjae. He wouldn’t go out of his room and locked himself ever since. Until he decided to move away for college and for himself to heal from recent events.

Jaebeom was even sadder then. He lost his twin and his younger brother. And now, he was left with his parents who even looked indifferent about his brothers’ leaving the house and the life on Earth. Jaebeom sighed.

“Hey, you okay?” Youngjae tapped his shoulder. He didn’t realize he zoned out already. He looked at Jinyoung, “I’m sorry, did you say something?” The younger scoffed.

“Jaebeom, why don’t you rest first and we’ll all talk about it later, yeah?” He suggested, lowkey worried about the son of Im.

Jaebeom hummed. “Maybe I should. Do you guys mind a sleepover tonight? I’ll just say I can’t handle being alone tonight because of too much sorrow as an excuse. We can discuss everything then.”

“I’m down. My first overnight in my new town.” Youngjae smiled.

Jinyoung looked at Mark, waiting for his answer. The latter then gave a nod towards Jinyoung and the younger nodded back. Mark directed his eyes to Jaebeom’s and he gave him a warm smile. “We’ll be there.” Jaebeom raised his eyebrows as his eyes travelled from Mark to Jinyoung then back to Mark again.

“O-kay. I don’t know what those staring and nodding at each other for but I’m just going to assume you guys are aliens and somehow developed telepathy with each other.” The Im stated. Youngjae snorted, “Let’s go. I’m pretty sure these two found something. Otherwise, they won’t agree with the whole sleep over thing. We need to leave now before anyone notices our missing presence and find us here.” He reminded the three.

They all walked back to the hall and reunited with Yugyeom, Bambam, and Jackson.

“Sleep over. Tonight. Here.” Jaebeom said without much explanation.

“Sure. That would be fun!” Jackson exclaimed. “Will you be there?” he asked Youngjae. The younger nodded while the former smiled excitedly.

“Mark!” They all turned their heads to the person who called their friend’s name. “Dad, where have you been? You look like you’ve been through a windstorm.” Mark looked at his father weirdly. “Well, it is windy outside and I went there to catch some air.” Everyone was just listening to their conversation and Mr. Tuan acknowledged their presence then shifted back his attention to his son.

“Anyway, we need to get going. Your mom needs to be somewhere and I’ll be sending her there.”

“Oh, sure. But I’m going back here later. Me and my friends are going to have an overnight.” Mr. Tuan looked at his son with raised eyebrow showing that he does not approve of the plan his son has with his friends. Mark noticed the expression in his father’s face and sighed. “Dad, I am going. Like it or not.” He said in a low voice that only his father can hear.

Mr. Tuan cleared his voice, tilted his head to look at Mark’s friends once again and back to Mark. He suddenly smiled then, “Of course. Sure. No problem, son.” He stated.

“I’ll see you guys later, then.” Mark said and waved good bye to the others while walking behind his father towards the door.