Third

Lucky

 

Jimin was walking casually on the empty hallways with her boyfriend. Class already started but it's not like they cared to be late. Plus, they aren't actually late yet as they know that their teacher for the period wouldn't come due to an emergency, in fact they were tasked to relay it to their classmates, reminding them to use the time to self study and not loiter around.

On that moment, they were passed by a girl crying and frantically running down the hallways. Jimin halted her steps as she watched the girl passed by, head hung low and hands trying to wipe tears running down her face. Jimin watched as the girl ran farther and farther away from her, taking a turn to take the stairs at the end of the long hallway.

Jimin was confused and worried. Why is she crying? Why is she running? Who hurt her? She has a lot of questions. She wants to run to the girl and comfort her but she chose not to.

"Let's go" she told the guy beside her to continue walking

"Aren't you going to follow her?" he asked

"Not my business" she simply said as she started walking "Come on" she looked back to the guy noticing that he hasn't taken a step yet.

"I know you are worried about her" 

"I'm not"

"I know that face Jimin. That crease on your forehead, the look you gave her. You may not say it but I know you still cared. About her. About them" Jimin wasn't able to answer, because she knows it's true even though she keeps thinking it was not. "It's okay. Go ahead. I'll tell the class what Ms. Son said"

"But.."

"Don't worry, I know I can't make them self study but I'll make sure the class won't make too much noise. You know I'm also scared of Mr. Lee from the next class" he said, pertaining to the strict teacher who was teaching the class next to them at this time

Jimin nodded "Thank you so much, always" She said before running down the hallways to where the girl went. She was thankful that he understands her. He always do.

Jimin ran down the stairs looking for the crying girl. "Jaehee!" she call from the stairs, she saw the younger just about to turn the corner of the lower floor. The younger stopped upon hearing her name and looked up to Jimin, shock was evident on her face. Jimin ran down to the younger and grab her wrist. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Uhmm...." Jaehee cannot speak. She was shocked that Jimin would be worried. Due to the mixed feelings she have earlier she didn't even notice the older earlier "I...."

"Tell me" Jimin repeatedly said but Jaehee seemed to be too shocked and ended up crying more "Shhh.. it's okay" The older was surprised when the girl suddenly hugged her, burying her face on her chest. She slowly reached her hands to the younger's back and caressed it, trying to calm her down. She swear, if someone was bullying Jaehee, she won't waste a minute to teach them a lesson

When she felt that Jaehee's cries subside and she calmed down a bit, she slowly break the hug to look at Jaehee's face

"Are you okay?" She asked, the younger girl nod. 

"Better... thank you" Jaehee finally let go of Jimin and stepped back, wiping bits of tears and probably sweat off her face. She looked at Jimin, noticing her wrinkled uniform, and maybe a bit of her make up. "I'm sorry"

Jimin looked down to her uniform "It's okay. Can you tell me what happened?"

"I... I can't" Jaehee said after thinking for a while, Jimin is not her 'friend' anymore. She just can't tell her about her worries just like she used to.

"Why? Jaehee... if something's bothering you, you can--"

"It was nothing"

"You wouldn't cry like that if it's nothing! Is someone bullying you? Tell me are those girls outcasting you again?" Jimin can't help but raise her voice a little. Her frustration over seeing Jaehee crying and the thought that the younger is hurt by others is making her mad.

"No, it wasn't like that. I'm not being bullied. I'm fine"

"Then what?"

"I don't want to tell you!" 

"Is it about Jihyo?" Jimin asked making Jaehee freeze on her spot. Jimin knows she was right. But can't help to think, why is the topic recently being brought back. First Jiyoon and now Jaehee. They haven't spoke of that name for so long. "I'm right?"

"Fine. It is about Jihyo"

"What about her?"

"She's mad at me" Jimin thinks Jaehee was crazy. How could someone who was long dead be mad at her. Even alive Jihyo doesn't get mad. 

"How could you say that?"

"I.. I didn't take care of Hyewon" she said, the older didn't answered and just continue to listen to Jaehee's words "Hyewon got into an accident"

"What accident?" The word just automatically ticked something in Jimin's overprotective unnie self

"She got hit by a ball when the class is playing volleyball. She's unconscious and was brought to the clinic. It was not serious, but she seemed off these past days and obvious that she lacks sleep"

"Then it wasn't your fault. Why are you crying? And how can you say that Jihyo's is mad?"

"I saw her!" 

Saw her? Just like what Jiyoon said the a last week. Jimin somehow is starting to be creeped out. Are they being haunted by their friend?

"But.. that was impossible Jaehee! Jihyo's dead"

"I know. But.. I was in the restroom. I was crying because I failed to take care of Hyewon and then I saw her... she's there.. she's probably mad at me"

"Jaehee.. Jaehee calm down. That was impossible. Jihyo won't be mad at you. It was probably a random student. You said you were crying it could be that you vision's blurry and didn't saw her properly"

"No! I'm sure! It was Jihyo!"

"Jaehee!" Calm down, that was impossible" 

"That's why I don't want to tell you! You won't believe me!" Jaehee said before running off. Jimin would follow her again, but she knows she shouldn't stay in the halls for too long during class hours, beside she knows she need to give Jaehee some time. With that in mind, Jimin head back to her own class

 

Jimin reached her classroom and entered the door. Her classmates gathering with their own groups doing random things, but obviously none of it was studying. I mean, who are they kidding, if the teacher is out these kids are definitely rejoicing. Fortunately they were at least contained in the classroom and not loitering around the hallways, because they will surely get in trouble. 

She get back to her seat, sighing. "How was it? She okay?" Her boyfriend asked after plopping himself on her table

"Yeah.. I mean I don't know. She's not okay" She looked out the window "And I can't do anything about it" 

"I don't know what's going on, but I hope everything turned alright" he reached for her hand squeezed reassuringly

"Thanks" Jimin smiled, although still worried 

 

"Tsk. Gross" Soeun looked at her old friend and her boyfriend disgustingly seeing their PDA moment. She saw her got back from somewhere, messed up uniform blouse. But it was not the guy, because he arrived earlier announcing the free period. On the back on her mind, she worriedly think of what happened to Jimin. Logically, it was easier to ask the girl but she would not do that. Heck, they swore not to speak to each other again some months ago. Jimin who has been on her side since middle school suddenly became a stranger. 

Soeun go back to talking to some of her classmates and half heartedly laughing when one makes a joke. It was kinda funny, but not that funny. Not as funny as the jokes and antics Jimin and Jiyoon made. God, those two made her lose her breath whenever they were together. Their trio was so tough back then but somehow, everything changed.

Soeun's eyes wandered to the eldest of world-cup babies, that's how they used to call their trio. Jiyoon was on her own world, headphones on and eyes on her book. Soeun wondered what novel the girl was reading now. A blank notebook in front of her. Soeun recognized it as her idea notebook. Idea's for a new song or any other thing. Soeun wouldn't know what runs on the girls mind, but seeing her alone again left a pang in Soeun's heart. When they first met Jiyoon, she was always alone. Soeun and Jimin promised her she wouldn't be alone again-- but turns out they were the same people to broke that promise.

 

 

- ♥ -

 

 

Soojin entered the clinic after her last class for the day, she wanted to check if Hyewon have woken up yet. "Oh, Soojin-ie? You weren't going home yet?" asked by the nurse who's working on her computer

"I was about to. I just want to check first the patient earlier?" she asked. The nurse looked at her with understanding eyes. She knows Soojin's connection with the girl

"She's awake now. But I told her to rest until the bell rang. I think she hasn't left yet"

"I see, thank you" 

"I was about to call her parents to pick her up, can you do that for me instead?" the nurse said standing up "I'll just have these papers submitted to the vice principal. You may lock the door before going out"

"Yes, Miss Park" the student said and went to the last bed, curtains still down. 

"Hey" she said. Hyewon was now sitting on the bed, looking out the sky that was turning orange. 

"Unnie?" The younger looked at her, surprised by her appearance 

"How are you feeling?"

"I.. I'm feeling better" Hyewon said

"Okay. Good to know, I just wanted to make sure you are" Soojin awkwardly stood there, holding the curtains that separates the beds in the clinic. "I'll just call your parents to pick you up"

"No need.. I can go home by myself. I already got enough rest"

"If you say so" Soojin awkwardly agreed. They suddenly heard knock on the door and a faint voice

"Excuse me?"

"Jaehee?" Soojin said looking at the new comer who already has her bag on her back and another pink backpack on her hand

"I just came here to give this to Hyewon" Jaehee said pertaining to the youngest's bag. She still cannot see Hyewon due to the curtain blocking her view. She was about to leave the bag on of the couch near the door when Hyewon called her name.

"Jaehee-unnie"

Soojin realized that the curtain was still down so she pushed it away to the corner. "Yeah?" Jaehee answered

"Thank you, I heard you helped me" the youngest said with a slight smile

"It was nothing. I'm not the one who carried you, you could thank Junghwan instead" Jaehee said

"But still, I want to thank you" 

"Okay" Jaehee walked to the bed where Hyewon was and handed her bag "I'll go ahead" she continued and was about to leave after Hyewon got her bag

"Unnie" Hyewon said and looked at Jaehee and Soojin "I saw her"

Jaehee stopped walking and looked back at the youngest with wide eyes, does she also? was what she thought. Soojin just stand there obviously clueless , but it seemed that Jaehee knew what or who Hyewon was talking about

 

"I saw Jihyo unnie" Now Soojin finally get Jaehee's reaction.