First

Lucky

 

It was a pleasant day to go outside and enjoy the weather. Most of the students are excited to go home as the last bell rang. But three students are not excited for the ringing of the bell nor happy about the fine weather. They all begrudgingly head to the school library instead of enjoying the after school hours. 

Jimin, Jiyoon and Soeun decided (after a long argument) to meet in the library to work on project which three of them was assigned to. It was a group work, the groupings was randomly selected but the three of them did not like the result one bit. It has been almost a year since Jihyo died, and almost a year since their group broke. The three of them were really close. The most playful in their group who often plays jokes to the eldest and younger friends. But since the accident, they have been at each others necks. Arguing everytime they see each other.

"So what do you think?" Soeun asks after she explains her idea for the report. Jiyoon was obviously not listening, she was just looking outside the window and Jimin, although listening to Soeun, did not like a thing she said

"No, I told you that wasn't a good idea" Jimin said and opened her notes in front of the girl "We need to-"

"Jihyo?" Jimin was cut off when they hear Jiyoon call out the name they haven't heard or speak of for a long time. A name they missed calling. 

Jiyoon's jaw drop as she stood from her chair to go closer to the window, looking down the garden from the 3rd floor of the building where they are. She saw her. She knew that frame. The girl was wearing casual clothes. Sitting in one of the concrete bench that circled the big tree down in the side of the school's field, calmly looking at the surrounding.

"It's Jihyo!" Finally, Jiyoon was able to mutter a word again after being stunned, she looked back at the two other girls with wide eyes " She's there! Jihyo's there" She blurted out, a mix of excitedness and nervousness

Soeun and Jimin can't believe the words coming out from the shorter girl " What the hell are you talking about?" Soeun said while standing up

"Stop with your nonsense and work your here" Jimin commented but still stood up peek at the window "I don't see her"

"But she was just right... there " Jiyoon last word almost came out like a whisper, the girl wasn't there anymore when she look again.

"It was probably some girl with the same style" Soeun said coming back to her seat. She expected not to see Jihyo, but deep inside she knows she was disappointed. Because although she knows it was impossible, she hoped that Jihyo was really there. That Jihyo would come back

"But I was sure! She really looks like Jihyo!"

"Stop it!" Jimin said raising her voice "You know that it was impossible to see her! You know if you don't want to work on this project, fine. You don't have to bring Jihyo up to this conversation"

"I didn't want to bring the topic up, I just really saw her there! I won't use Jihyo's name for such lame things"

"Please keep it down, other students are here trying to study" They were stopped when the librarian gave them a warning. They said sorry to the librarian before settling themselves on their table again. With much more tension than before and a report due in a few days that still wasn't started.

 

- ♥ -

 

It was a few days after that incident. They all submitted their reports and was back to ignoring each other again. The class ended and all the students packed their notes, ready to go home "Dismissed. And by the way, Kim Jimin, Park Soeun, Shin Jiyoon, please stay for a while" The teacher said, their classmates look at them but quickly revert their attention to their own stuff.

"I'll see you downstairs" Soeun smiled at her friend she usually go home with

"Go ahead, I'll follow you!" Said Jimin to her boyfriend and their friends, it was a friday and they planned to have a karaoke trip after class

Jiyoon was about to put her headphone but just sighed upon hearing her name and settled her headphones around her neck instead. Once the room was empty, the three gathered in front of their teacher's table.

The teacher looked at them one by one before speaking "Why did you submit three different reports? You know that this is a group work"

The three stood quietly, as if trying to guess who will speak first "Well.. I'm sorry ma'am but it didn't work out as a group?" Soeun said, in between hesitation. She was only telling the truth though, after trying to work on the report as group, they just ended up doing it individually. The more they speak with other the more they fought, even over the simplest thing.

"They wouldn't cooperate" Jimin simply said

"We did. you just keep rejecting our ideas" Jiyoon blurted out

"Well it wasn't good enough?" Jimin retorted back

"As if yours is the perfect idea" Soeun said mockingly

"I didn't say mine was perfect"

"Stop" The teacher sternly said and they immediately stopped arguing "I don't want to see you arguing in front of me"

"We're sorry" the three said in unison

"Okay, I know you have personal issues with each other, but I also want to remind you, you should not let those things get with school works. This is a group work, this should be work on by the three of you together. Think of it this way, you are already in your senior year, you're gonna graduate in a few months, go to college and have jobs. If you have personal issues with your team members, it will gonna hinder the work of the whole team. Think of it as your training, you need to be professional" the teacher lessoned while three just listedned with heads hung low "I'm gonna accept your individual reports this time, but the next time I'll give a group activity and this happens again, it will be a fail for the three of you. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am"

The teacher sighed and gathered her things "Dismissed" she went to the door and stop briefly "I was expecting an excellent output from you three, you always have the most creative reports being submitted. You always made the class lively" the teacher sadly said before heading to her office.

The three was left in the empty classroom. Jimin was the first one to go, not before glaring at the two girls. Soeun just rolled her eyes to this and also went out. Jiyoon just sighed and the last to go out the classroom, she's too tired and just wants to go home.