Chapter 9: My Colleague 1 is confusing

My Colleague 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byulyi dropped her head into her hands as she sat at the sofa alone, cradling her head as she thought about their fight. She backpedalled the short conversation in her head, including the image of the teary look of shock and betrayal on her beautiful face, expressions that did not belong to her bubbly Yongsun. She hated that she sounded so selfish asking her partner to submit to the wishes of her parents just to keep them happy; but family was important, and her family loved Yongsun wholeheartedly.

The rapper was not going to bulged, no matter how Yongsun hated the idea. She could help her to get used to the idea or convince Yongsun’s parents to drop it completely. She climbed to her feet, stretching her muscles tiredly, there were chores to do before she could turn in. That would give Yongsun time to calm down and turn in.

Byulyi picked up the remains of Yongsun’s soul food and emptied out the remains, knowing that she had called it a night. She focused on the mind-numbing tasks of washing and rinsing the dishes, including the ones from lunch. Then, she emptied the food bin and took the trash out of the apartment. When she returned to the living room, she stood there, akimboed. “Sofa it is then.” She padded into the bedroom quietly and noted that it was completely dark.

A huddle on the right side of the bed under the covers could be seen. She stood at the foot of the bed wondering if she was finally asleep. The other woman’s breathing seemed to be even so Byulyi grabbed her pillow, her comfortable pyjamas and headed out of the door quietly.

She started her nightly ablution and changed into her pyjamas before lying on the grey sofa. Before she officially moved in with Yongsun, she had always lazed on this sofa when she hung out with her. Automatically, she got into a comfortable position, exhaustion finally creeping in.

She was nearly asleep when she heard a melodic voice.

“Byul, come to bed please.”

She crackled her eyes, blearily before they fell on a woman standing next to her. Yongsun was leaning over her, tear stains on her cheeks, looking at her wistfully. “Let’s go to our bed. It’s more comfortable.”

The howling wind outside their apartment punctuated the heavy silence in the living room.

Then, Byulyi remembered that she was sleeping on the couch alone. Her partner merely stared at her, a loose arm around her waist, hugging herself.  

A pain she did not know clawed deeply on Byulyi’s heart at the lonely sight of her suffering soulmate. She sat up carefully, swinging her legs off the couch.

A wistful smile appeared on Yongsun face when she realised that she had relented. She turned away, ready to return to their bedroom.

Her heart ached again. Her prideful and stubborn partner had abandoned her sense of pride to fetch her. Byulyi picked up her pillow and hurried after her. She placed her pillow next to Yongsun’s as she slipped under the heavy duvet into their bed. Instantly, Yongsun rolled into her arms, clinching on her waist like a lifeline as she settled against her chest. “Rule number one: no matter our disagreements, we must sleep together.”

Byulyi placed her hand on hers and squeezed it fondly as she dropped a kiss on the side of her head tenderly. “OK.” The soothing weight of Yongsun on her chest was lulling her to sleep again as she wrapped her arms tightly around her. She never wanted to let her go. “Yong-ah, I love you.”

Yongsun merely buried her face into her chest, tightening her hold over the taller woman in response. “We’ll talk when we can. We’ll work this out together.” She turned to press her lips on her chest where her heart thumped soothingly. All it mattered to her was that they were together, everything else would work out with time.

The couple had to rush off for another schedule that morning. This time it was to do photoshoots at the semi-detached building in the afternoon. It was a beautiful wintry afternoon with a hot sun. Byulyi was over the moon to meet the kids as they got ready for work.

Wheein shook her head absently when she realised Byulyi was flirting with Hyejin openly for the photoshoot even though the photographer had insisted that they had behaved like newlyweds.

She wore a large white jacket matched with jeans, looking dressed down compared to Hyejin. Several times Hyejin shrieked like a banshee when she found Byulyi staring deeply into her eyes. The taller girl enjoyed embarrassing the youngest member of the group since she always behaved so coolly.

She grabbed Byulyi around her arm. “If unnie sees you behaving this way with our Hyejin, she’s gonna hit the roof.”

Byulyi brushed her hair away from her face as she looked at the baby of the group. “She’s not here.” She gestured around the roof. “And we’re at the roof, Wheein. She can hit it since it is pretty low.” She tapped on the roof, making a point.

“Groom, you need to take more photographs with your bride!”

Wheein shook her head. “I’m not going to save you when unnie comes.” She patted on her absently before brightening up like the sun. “Ooh! That is firm.”

“Hey!”

“You’re not so bony!”

She followed the rapper to the landing of the stairs, sneaking a few s playfully, high on boredom.

The rapper ignored her and sat on the window still as Hyejin lay on her lap. The youngest member averted her gaze away from the flirty unnie desperately as the rapper tried to embarrass her by looking deeply into her eyes. That idiotic unnie could be so charming that she would send shiver down her spine with just a simple look and she wondered why Unnie had not combusted from the affectionate way she stared into her eyes.

The constant and unusual shrieks of Hyejin attracted the attention of Yongsun when she entered the set. She headed upstairs towards the source of the sound and found her partner fooling around with their youngest member carefreely. It was so different from the tensed expression she wore in the morning when they woke up, entangled in each other.

Their eyes met instantly when she reached the stair landing as if they were magnets. Yongsun never realised how much they orbited around each other until that moment. The carefree smile on her face faded slightly as it filled with plain affection for her.

Oh. Her heart fluttered at the sight.

“Ah. Great,” commented Hyejin, brushing her wavy hair away. “Can I return this greasy hamster to you, Unnie?”

“Hold on to her, Jinie” Wheein clung on Yongsun excitedly. “We’re up next.” She shared an affectionate glance with the woman clinging on her like a Koala. "I don't want Unnie to distract her."

“We’re barely married and we’re getting a divorce?” complained Byulyi, astonished. “How could you do that to me, my beautiful bride?” She clung on Hyejin, staring at her forlornly. “I am not an object to be passed around.”

“Byul-unnie, it’s known as an annulment,” answered the youngest member, matter-of-fact, allowing her unnie to cling on her. She wouldn’t blame her. It was in the middle of the afternoon and they haven’t had food. There was also the filming of the idol game show after this shoot which meant that their schedule would end late. “And you’re no object. You’re just a cute hamster.”

“Cute is not my concept,” complained the rapper, scowling.

The staff howled in amusement as Yongsun and Wheein got into position in the living room. They took several shots, sharing the armchair before they had to take group shots out in the sun again.

Yongsun, as the leader of MAMAMOO, examined the shots that was taken of the group to ensure that they were good while the other three members decided to annoy each other to keep their energy. The two youngest found some snacks and began having that too. The muscle under her eyebrow twitched at the entranced way Byulyi had stared at Hyejin as they behaved as if they were newlyweds. She squished the rise of irritation, knowing that Byulyi was just having fun.

They had dinner at a small family restaurant near the next filming studio. Byulyi sat next to her partner mechanically while the younger singers sat on the opposite side. Byulyi caught herself staring at Yongsun several times when she realised that she wasn’t talking as much. She tried to squeeze her thigh under the table but she pushed her hand away from her.

Byulyi frowned slightly but it soon faded away as she threw herself into the conversation with her Maknaes. After the quick dinner, they headed to the studio to film the idol game show.

Byulyi had to admit it was strange that neither she nor Yongsun was touching each other as often.

Being the protective unnie, she offered herself as the representative so that the other members would not have to go through any of the punishments. Yongsun gave her a knowing look when the camera was not on them as the host of the show made fun of all the members of MAMAMOO othering her: she was the only one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter