Chapter 12: My Colleague 1 is reliable

My Colleague 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonbyul was surprised by the effort that the radio station had taken to wish her happy birthday. When she entered the broadcasting room, she noticed that the curtains were completely drawn. She paused, looking interested, before someone reminded her to get ready for the broadcast.

When her first gift arrived, she smiled at the effort the person had made to wrap her chocolates. “Happy Moonbyul day!” was printed on the top of the package, attached with a ribbon. Since she was asked to wear it, she did it obediently, her interest in the guest strengthening.

Who would go to such efforts? Another fan? She was now worried that she would not be able to sustained a conversation with the guest.

“OK, now the special guest is supposed to arrive,” narrated Moonbyul. “I still have no idea who this guest might be. It is a secret to me.” She closed her eyes and waited for the familiar opening of the door to indicate the entry of the guest.

To her astonishment, the most melodic voice that she had a chance to sing with echoed in the studio. Her eyes shot open, and her heart fluttered at the sight that greet her.

Her Solar. Her partner. Her Yongkong. Her Squishy. Her Yong-unnie.

She serenaded her with a birthday song sweetly as she did a little delightful dance of rolling her hand to side to side, her eyes curved with happiness.

And she was falling in love again.

Oh, this woman.

She could only respond in awe.

The older woman presented her a fresh cream strawberry cake, with lovely strawberries that looked like snowman decorating the top of the cake.

“How?” Her eyes briefly took in the corgi dog balloon she had bought for her too. “How?” She could not hide how pleased she was to see her lover again.

A mischievous smile brightened her face as she sat in the seat intended for guests, which was on the opposite side of the long table. “I was hiding behind that curtain.” She gestured to curtains behind her as she fished out her earphones to connect to the system and did the usual sound check.

She simply could not look at her, entranced by her sweet Yongsun completely. “I noticed the curtain when I first came in, but they asked me to do my sound check.”

Yongsun brushed her hand carelessly over her hair to tuck her hair behind her ear and Byulyi mirrored it mechanically. “Yes, I was worried that I couldn’t surprise you. My heart was racing when you approached just now.” She placed a hand on her chest for emphasis.

Byulyi held her gaze steadily, briefly reminding herself that they were on camera, so she tried to hide just how fast her heart was beating at the sight of her. “I didn’t expect you, Solar-unnie. I didn’t. I mean how did you actually do it? Didn’t you have a fitting?”

“Ah, that reminds me. I haven’t introduced myself. Good evening, I am Solar of MAMAMOO. It’s nice to be here again.” She did the familiar moustache gesture of MAMAMOO. “Right. How did I surprise you?” Her smile became jubilant. “I got that fitting done in the morning so that I can come here before you do to surprise you. It was very tough to surprise her. Moonbyul-ssi was actually over my place.” She slowed down, choosing her words carefully. "She was wondering why I did not change out into comfortable lounging wear or remove my make-up since I am at home.”

“Yeah, that’s her habit,” smiled Byulyi. She remembered the impromptu song writing and song recording session and her gaze softened. It was hard to remain professional with her as a surprise guest. She glanced at the comments that rolled in on the screen and decided to answer the question. “I was at Solar-unnie’s place to wash up. It was closer to the studio.”

Yongsun merely smiled. “I think she just like the scent of my shampoo.” Her eyes gleamed with mischief.

Byulyi’s eyes widened a little. Oh, her lover was digging her own grave. “I do, Solar-unnie.” She considered finishing the sentence but held herself back, choosing to clear her voice. She played the list of songs for the night as she helped her girlfriend to pack the cake.

“Thank you for the surprise. How did you become today’s surprise guest?” asked Byulyi when the first series of songs ended.

“Manager-nim called me and asked me to appear on this program on your birthday. I agreed straightaway. He had to help me to shift some things around to make this possible.”

“You agreed straightaway?” laughed Byulyi, surprised. “Do you have evidence of this?”

She huffed in faux irritation. “Moonbyul-ssi, it’s your birthday. I wouldn’t miss the chance to surprise you. Of course, I want to stay with you until the end of your birthday.” There was also the thought that there were others who would willingly appear on this radio show to surprise her girlfriend on her birthday.

Byulyi merely melted at her words. She was glad that they were on the opposite end of the table otherwise she might do something inappropriate.

She was amazed that her lover, with her short attention span, accompanied her until the end of her shift. She entertained herself with the three corgi balloons she bought, messing around with them to pass time as she listened to her radio broadcast.

Only she would remember that she had missed her Corgis.

This woman.

The rapper had to admit that she rather touched that she would do something like hanging out while she was working. Neither of them had been resting sufficiently due to the promotion of their new album. Her gaze drifted to her often as her lover played with the balloon with a seriousness that made her smile inwardly.

Soon, her shift ended at the of midnight.

The couple fooled around with the balloons on camera before calling it a day. “Squishy. you didn’t drive. How did you come here?”

“Taxi. I was hoping someone would send me home,” grinned Yongsun, laughing at her own joke as she picked up the cake and cradle it while Byulyi grabbed the three corgi balloons.

“With these things? You must be a sight,” teased Byulyi as they fell in step and headed to the carpark to her car. She stuffed them to the back of her seat roughly before she slid into the driver seat as Yongsun entered. She held the cake tightly, concerned that she might tilt the box and destroy the beauitful cake. Byulyi reached to take her hand into hers lovingly as their gaze met again.

Yongsun’s gaze gentled at the sight of her affections in her eyes.

“You make my birthday wonderful, Squishy. Thank you.” She wanted to lift her hand to her lips but she stopped, knowing that they were still in public.

Yongsun had no such hesitation, she lifted the back of her hand to Byulyi’s lips expectantly.

Byulyi merely laughed, her nose crinkled as she pressed her lips softly on her back of her knuckles, hoping that it was enough to convey all her gratitude and love. How could someone make her feel so much? Her heart was far too small to contain all the feelings she felt for the woman next to her. She closed her eyes and inhaled the sharp antiseptic scent mixed with her sweet scent before she lowered their hands slowly. When she opened her eyes to look at Yongsun, she could see that she was similarly affected.

She broke her gaze and looked forward as she played with the handle of the cakebox idly. Her cheeks were crimson.

Byulyi smiled to herself before she ignited the engine and drove them home, a task that Yongsun usually did since she was a far more competent driver than her. It took a good space awareness to get a license to drive a truck at first try.

It took a while for Byulyi to grab the three corgi balloons out of the car as Yongsun carried the cake. “Reminds me of my puppies.”

“We can see them when our schedules are less packed,” advised Yongsun idly, shutting the door to the passenger's seat.

“We?” She turned to look at her enquiringly, surprised by her answer.

Yongsun's brows furrowed slightly.

“Can’t I visit them?” snapped Yongsun, her pace quickening. She was always welcomed at the Moon family since she was a close friend of Byulyi.

Byulyi had to jog to catch up with her girlfriend quickly, nearly dropping one of the puffy balloons. “Squishy. What’s wrong? I was surprised that you wanted to come along.”

“Why are you surprised when I usually come along with you when I am free?” fired Yongsun.

“Squishy, can you please walk slowly. I find it hard to catch up with you—”

“Don’t you have longer legs? Why are you walking so slowly?” She reached their door soon and keyed in the password to enter. She didn’t bother helping Byulyi to hold the door and the taller girl had to use her back to stop the door before stepping into the apartment.

“Yong.” She threw the balloons on the ground, freeing her hands finally.

“Can you be nicer to them? I bought those dog balloons for you.”

She ignored Yongsun’s protest and tried to hug her.

Yongsun grimaced, pushing her away with her hand as she put more space between them. However, Byulyi was determined in holding her. Soon, Yongsun gave up and allowed her to embrace her.

“Yong, I don’t know why you’re angry. We can visit my family when we are free. I am surprised that you wanted to visit them with me. It didn’t occur to me that you might want to meet my family so soon.”

“And why can’t I do that?” objected the older woman, scowling.

Byulyi met her gaze helplessly. “My family knows about us. They know we’re together, together.” She took her hand and laced their fingers together. “Unnie, are you ready for that?”

“You obviously aren’t,” decided Yongsun finally, studying her earnest expression. She did not know how to feel about that.

Byulyi thought about it for a while, cocking her head slightly. “Yes, I am not.” Yongsun’s gaze became murderous immediately and the rapper persisted. “We have your parents to think about. It has been on my mind for a while.” She reached to caress her face tenderly before dropping her hand to rest on Yongsun’s waist. “Are you ready to meet my parents as my better half, not my good friend?”

Yongsun paused for a while, realising the implications of visiting her family. She sighed, running her hand through her hair. “Will I suggest it if I am not okay with it, Byul?”

She smiled affectionately at her. “OK. We’ll do that. We do that when we’re free," concluded Byulyi. Her face brightened up with her smile.

“No, you can go on your own,” decided Yongsun as she headed to the bedroom to remove her make-up. "It's nice to have the apartment to myself for a while."

“Yong-ah,” whined Byulyi finally, following her into the bedroom. She pouted at her, knowing that her lover was not exactly angry with her.

“I just remember something I wanted to do during the radio broadcast.”

Yongsun stared at her through the reflection of the mirror.

Byulyi wrapped her arms around her waist as she leaned in and kiss her lips tenderly. “I love you. Thank you for tonight. I think I fell in love with you again when you stood in front of me doing this ridiculous dance as you sang the birthday song.” Her lips curled in a faint smile as she recollected that image. Never was she more beautiful than that moment.

Yongsun turned to face her, entranced by the sheer love in her eyes. How could she, with a look, make her feel that she was her universe?

Byulyi rubbed her thumb along her bottom lip as she gasped. “You’re the spring I am waiting for.”

“Byul, you don’t say such things to me in the heat of the moment.” She grasped Byulyi’s hand tightly, looking small. She knew that the rapper was refering to the lyrics that she had wrote in the afternoon. She had assumed that the lyrics was an appeal to her to consider their fleeting romance as an enduring love, rather than waiting for this mysterious correct person.

Byulyi shook her head lightly as she laughed hoarsely. “I can assure you that it is not in the heat of the moment, Yong. It’s very difficult not to fall in love with you. Over and over again. You have such a beautiful soul,” whispered she breathlessly, freeing her hand from her painful grasp to cup her soft cheek. “You’re so wonderful. My heart is far too small to contain the feelings you evoked.” She moved Yongsun’s hand to her chest where her heart was. “You’re my spring."

Tears welled in her eyes as she stared deeply into her eyes.

“Why are you crying, Squishy?” cooed Byulyi as she carefu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter