Chapter 11: My Colleague 1's Spring

My Colleague 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MAMAMOO was going to conclude their promotion of their tenth mini album, ‘Travel’ with another performance. Byulyi rolled her eyes openly when twisted her torso from side to side as she examined herself on the full-length mirror again for any more signs of hickey visibly through her outfit. After adding foundation over the bite mark on her clavicle, exactly right below the mandarin collar of the dress, she was satisfied that the cameras would not pick on it.

Her bloody lover decided that it was a fantastic idea to mark her properly. “If you feel really possessive, Squishy, leave your marks somewhere in which others won’t see.” Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted her lover entering the room.

Yongsun slid next to her, studying her reflection critically as she adjusted her hair again. “I did.” She nodded at her when she spotted her look of incredulity.

Byulyi turned to face her unrepentant lover who merely met her sceptical gaze indifferently. The leader of MAMAMOO touched the spot above Byulyi’s heart where a purple mark was, even starker since the rapper had such fair skin. It sat just below the V cut of the top. She could feel her heart beating against her hand. “I left one here.” She was a closet sap for leaving her mark above her heart but only Byulyi ought to know that. She trailed her hand down her chest slowly to her waist along her toned abdominal muscles, just along the hemline of the white top. “I left a few here.” Her index finger traced along her waist lightly. Then, her hand slipped to her inner thigh. “And another here.”

Byulyi inhaled sharply before she caught her mischievous hand with hers. The taller girl glared at her fiercely. “Weren’t you satisfied this morning?”

Yongsun slid her hand up her back carefully, along the stiff fabric of her top smoothly. “I dug my nails here.” She traced the nail wounds she left on her flawless back with her finger tentatively as her eyes followed its path.

The wounds had stung badly when the younger woman had showered in the morning. No matter how much she adored Yongsun, it did not stop her from hopping out of the shower to scold the sleeping woman for the marks she left on her. Yongsun, opening an eye drowsily, caught sight of her enraged lover, dressed only in a towel. The only thing that registered in her sleep-addled mind was that her paramour was only wearing a towel and that awakened the beast in her. Byulyi could only whine half-heartedly as her lover pulled her back into their bed and ravished her again.

The rapper’s whine regained her attention. She shook her head. “I want my Solar back, please. That’s not the worst. You left an imprint of your teeth here.” She pressed on the spot, right under the collar hard, scowling. “The makeup artist giggled at me when she saw the mark just now.”

It was an evidence that Yongsun live off meat since her two incisors left deep punctures on her skin.

“Ah, that’s new.” Yongsun merely gave her a nonplussed look. “It’s probably from this morning. It’s good that you’re conservative Moon.” She patted her shoulder comfortingly, brushing off her concerns. She tried to hide her smile at how petulant her lover was. Her mind, however, had drifted in the direction of finding out which make-up artist had assisted her in hiding the marks. Wouldn’t the makeup artist gasp instead of giggle if she saw a love bite on a supposedly single idol?

“Squishy, are you even listening?” She swore under her breath. “It will be a downright controversy if I gave you the same marks,” grumbled Byulyi, rolling her eyes. “All the marks will be seen.” She gestured to her outfit wildly.

Yongsun twirled around her in her most translucent white dress before giving her a twist. “Nope, I am good. No marks.” Her eyes curved with pleasure as she smirked.

“Aigo, this unnie,” groused Byulyi, running her hand through her hair, tousling it. “I am not as feral as you. No point talking to you about this now.”

Yongsun caught her around her waist playfully as she embraced her from behind. She placed her chin on her shoulder as the younger woman quietened. “Crinkles, you are very handsome with that top billowing behind you. You get all the cool outfits.”

Byulyi spun around and studied her performance outfit before she squeezed her belly. “Just watch the belly when there is a close-up,” smirked the rapper before putting a distance between them, waiting for the inevitable explosion when one tickled the dragon.

“Aigo, this woman!” snarled Yongsun, aiming a high kick in her direction.

Byulyi merely howled in laughter as she ran off to get herself mic-up. She waved at the younger members as she dashed off.

Wheein and Hyejin shook their head when they watched the older members playing around before the performance. Where did they get all that energy after a series of promotional activities? They were ready for their performance, waiting for their call.

“The boundless energy of thirty-year-olds,” whispered Hyejin to her good friend.

Wheein nodded at her, realising the date. They were supposed to celebrate after their promotions ended since they would be busy again the next day with their own work. They had compared their schedules and realised that they were completely packed the next day, which left tonight.

Yongsun soon appeared to get ready for the performance, wearing a look on her face that showed that she was out to look for trouble.

The two younger singers decide to remain quiet so that they won’t attract the attention of their leader.

“Maybe I will change my style and try some of your performance outfit if I don’t get into trouble,” quipped Byulyi finally, arms in akimbo. Someone added a white ribbon to her hair to complete the ensemble.

Yongsun smirked. “Maknaes, did you hear that?”

The rapper clicked her tongue. “Why are you so interested in getting me into revealing outfits?” Byulyi shook her head, completely in disbelief. She had allowed Hyejin to dress her up once and she had totally regretted it.

“Not into revealing outfits but performance outfits that I will actually wear,” amended Yongsun cheerfully. “You did gain some muscles so it will look good.” She placed a thumb on her bottom lip as she studied Byulyi critically. “I’ll take your cool suits.” Her smile widened with exhilaration.

The two younger singer traded looks between them. “Wait, are you unnies proposing an exchange of performance outfits?” Their styles were as different as the sun and the moon: Solar was provocative while Moonbyul was just simply cool.

“If I don’t get into trouble for wearing it,” added Byulyi firmly, her eyes narrowing.

“Why would you get into trouble—” Wheein realised what the rapper meant and covered her ears as she shrieked. “Too much information! TMI!” Her cheeks became bright pink. She pressed her heated cheeks together as she shook from side to side.

Hyejin gave her good friend an arched look before she marched up to Byulyi and grabbed her white collar and yanked it to reveal some of her skin. There was a spot that was obviously covered with foundation on her collarbone, and it was right under the collar. “Yong-unnie,” hissed Hyejin, glowering at the oldest member. “You need to have more restraint.” She rubbed her temple slightly. It was rare for the reserved youngest to scold any of them.

“I am sorry,” offered Yongsun, bowing slightly, contrite.

Byulyi held her hands up in surrender before Wheein stepped in to help her to adjust the outfit carefully to ensure that she was impeccable again. “Uh, it’s not that bad, Jinie” cooed the shortest singer, trying to placate the youngest member. She squeezed the arm of her good friend cautiously.

“It isn’t unless the camera picks it up. We’re not supposed to have those! It’s not professional and it will hurt Byulyi unnie’s reputation.” As the internet’s scapegoat, she was also their counsel when it came to their image. Even though her members were protective of her, there was extraordinarily little they could do to fend of the haters online.

Byulyi stepped in and pulled the youngest member into her embrace affectionately. “Maybe I don’t mind taking some heat for you.” She kissed the side of her head lovingly, trying to reassure her. “And I am OK right?” She stepped back and spun around slowly, showing off her outfit. Her gaze, however, was on the silent Yongsun, wearing an impassive mask.

“You’re right, Hyejin,” decided Yongsun finally, looking small. “I was careless.” She ran her hand through her hair absently.

Hyejin crossed the room and embraced her tightly. It was always hard for their leader to be apologetic. She did not want her leader to think that she was furious with her, just only over her negligence. Yongsun relaxed and returned the hug, resting her head on her shoulder.

“The bet is till on, right?” quipped Wheein humorously, clapping her hand excitedly. “I really want to know how you will look like dressed in each other’s concepts.”

Byulyi shrugged, folding her arms before her chest. “I’m game.” Her gaze did not vacillate from Yongsun but her gaze had softened when Yongsun smiled at Hyejin.

“Next performance?” asked Hyejin finally, looking at Yongsun for her input.

Byulyi checked their schedule on the mobile. “Yeah, that’s good. It’s a week away. Golden Disk performance? We’ll return to normal after that.”

“We better let our stylist know in advance since we probably need to tailor it a little to fit each other,” remarked the rapper offhandedly.

Yongsun gave her an affronted look, knowing that she was insulting her.

“Yong-unnie, you’re more curvaceous than me and you’re 1.8 centimetres shorter,” elaborated Byulyi airily before she dropped her hand to her flat abdominal. “There is this problem too—”

“Aish!” Yongsun closed the distance between them and smacked her hard. Byulyi merely guffawed, shielding herself with an arm. The two younger singers merely rested against each other and chuckled brightly.

Yes, they were fine.

Laughing like hyenas, the members of MAMAMOO headed to the backstage to prepare for their last performance for their promotions. They had their arms behind each other’s back as they fell in step and prepare for the performance.

The performance went off well although the final product was a little disheartening. The camera angles were terrible but there was nothing Solar could do about it as she reviewed the performance carefully as the three other members rested and waited for instructions. That was their pre-recording which gave them another chance for a second recording. Byulyi had took the idea seriously and contacted their stylist so that their idea would be realised.

“Are you that confident that Yong-unnie will practise more self-control?” asked Wheein, interested.

Byulyi lifted a brow. “Uh.” She scratched the side of her nose. “You’re not going to screech and run out of the room if I answer you?” She glanced at her mobile again. “Yes.” She wanted to elaborate further but she bit her lip and shook her head finally. “Will this help to lighten my eye bags?” She showed her a product she found online.

“Oh. Having insomnia again?”

“It’s the season,” murmured Byulyi finally. She ran her hand through her hair. “That end of the year thing and the lack of sunlight. You can’t really tell when I am wearing this much make-up.”

“Well, you have Yong-unnie now.”

Byulyi snorted. “You know that she will always fall asleep first. She can even sleep through a storm.” She shook her head, exasperated. She still remembered that night. She was genuinely worried about their safety when the storm picked up and all that protected them from the harsh elements was a tent. It was good that most idols kept late hours because she had chatted the night away with Joohyun-unnie to stay awake. She re-pitched the tent when it showed signs of collapsing, keeping the sleeping woman safe.

“Thinking of her?” teased Hyejin finally.

The rapper reached to tousle her hair violently as she laughed mischievously. Hyejin glared fiercely at her. “No, I am thinking of our time at the deserted island.” She shuddered violently at the thought. “I am not repeating that nightmare.”

Wheein merely laughed. “If Yong-unnie decides to try again, you’ll still follow her to the island.”

“God forbid. I will just have to convince her of other more worthwhile things to do.” She paused, putting a thumb on her bottom lip, a mannerism of Yongsun. “How about something about animal conservation.” She scratched her nose absently. “Isn’t there a need to raise awareness of Asian Black Bears?”

Wheein waggled a finger at her. “That’s a good one. There is a small population left in our country.” She clapped her hands together. “You can throw that idea out when she decides to do something outrageous.”

“That’s complicated. Why don’t you just rent a camping van and go somewhere?” offered Hyejin finally. “Didn’t she get a license just for this possibility?”

“No, that was for retirement, remember?” joked Byulyi. “I was kinda hoping that I could retire on her earnings as a truck driver—”

“You want to be a truck driver?” asked Yongsun, joining them finally. She had finished her work as the leader of the group. “I thought you said that it was a silly idea to get the license.” The singer put her arm around the rapper’s shoulder as she met her gaze lovingly.

“It is a silly idea for me to get the license when you have it,” corrected Byulyi, putting her arm around her waist. “I could always call you.”

Yongsun laughed as she pinched her pointed nose. “Yes, you can.” She shared a sweet smile with her. “We’re done. Let’s get changed.”

“Really?” asked Wheein, shocked. “I swear the camera was behind us most of the time when we were performing.”

Solar nodded. “We’re done though. Let’s get dinner.”

The members traded looks between them. The perfectionist in Solar meant that she always wanted the group to deliver the best performance but there was little to do when the problem was not them.

“Your treat?” prompted Byulyi offhandedly, attempting to get Yongsun to treat them to a meal again. It was a running joke to see if Yeba fell for it.

“Aish! I paid for the bills this month,” complained Yongsun, irritated. Byulyi shrugged, ending the conversation. They changed out of their outfits quickly. The two younger singers intentionally changed between them, acting as a physical barrier between the lovebirds.

“Wheein-ah, is that boxer ?” asked Yongsun excitedly, when she spotted it.

“Ah yes, Unnie?” countered Wheein cautiously as she dressed up, covering herself fully. She did not know how to answer that question when she was obviously wearing it.

“Yong-unnie, behave yourself,” chided Byulyi as she dressed up in another oversized shirt, a pair of jeans and sneakers. Hyejin could not help but be distracted by the number of marks that Yongsun had left on Byulyi: the large purple bruise above her heart and a few smaller the marks along the edge of her ribs. She had to cover when she saw the scratch marks on Byulyi’s flawless back.

Oh. Wow. Her shy leader was a deeply passionate lover.

The most problematic mark was the one on her collarbone. It was quite visible when she wore a T- shirt. She was glad it was winter since she could cover it with a scarf.

“I heard it is very comfortable,” continued the leader absently, ignoring Hyejin’s muted gasp of surprise. The two singers continued to expound on the wonders of this type of underwear. After Hyejin was completely dressed, she walked over to grab Yongsun’s hands suddenly so that she could examine her nails closely.

They were short and well-trimmed, nothing like her long and sharp ones which were painted white to match her outfit.

“What’s wrong?” Yongsun’s eyes widened as she looked at her youngest member, concerned.

“No, just wondering did you do something with your nails,” answered Hyejin slickly. “You are into nail art these days. What about pork belly?”

“With Soju?” asked Byulyi excitedly, clapping her hands together. “The weather is perfect for it.”

“You’re an old man, Byulyi-unnie,” giggled Wheein brightly.

Byulyi reached over to tousle her hair before she darted away towards the exit. “Last one to get into the car pays for the dinner!”

“You cheater!”

All of them swore as they ran to their ride, terrifying the staff of the studio with their stampede of footsteps. They tore down the corridor, barely avoiding the staff. When they reached the carpark, they clawed, pushed, and shoved just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter