Chapter 20: My Colleague and I

My Colleague 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three red roses.

Kim Yongsun found a stalk in her wardrobe while she was dancing absently in front of it, choosing an outfit for the day. The second stalk was hidden in the underwear drawer and the last stalk was placed prominently next to her makeup products. After dressing up, she collected the three beautiful stalks of red roses and placed them in a glass vase on her kitchen table. It joined six other stalks of red roses. Byulyi must have cleared the three other dying roses in the morning when she left for work. She stood for a while to admire their beautiful bloom.

The living room had the faint scent of fresh roses from Byulyi’s constant efforts.

How many roses did that make again? Thirty-three roses. Three roses for every day since their proposal, eleven days ago. How her lover could sustain the effort of surprising her with flowers daily was simply mind-boggling.

By the eleventh day, the singer had sort of unravel the bizarre pattern of romance: flowers as a way of a countdown to their ceremony. Maybe it was also a way to assure the guilt of rejecting her daily.

Yongsun slid her magnificent engagement ring down her fourth ring until it nestled securely at the base of her finger. Once again, she was amazed by the sheer beauty of this piece. It looked like a piece of art rather than an engagement ring. The small diamonds littered around the side of the band shone like tiny stars against its silvery background. Gold, intertwined with the band, outline these diamonds brought out the splendour of the stars. Then, there was the centrepiece of her band, a minimalist version of a sun, with its rays stretched towards her knuckles—the sun. This ring was not made to be alone, although its individual beauty was remarkable. It could only be completed with Moon Byulyi’s elegant band. At first glance, the ring shared no similarity to hers beside continuing the starry theme embellished by gold outline. Besides, it had a simple but prominent curve, a white new moon, dotted with small diamonds: crescent Moon and stars. When the two rings were stacked on each other, it would complete an Eclipse that outshone the stars. Her finger traced along the edge of the yellow diamond where the crescent would meet, sighing to herself. The rings that Byulyi had bought for them was perfect. It embodied them. They were beautiful and magnificent, but they were a rare celestial phenomenon together, the sort that stole breaths from onlookers. If it didn’t then its price tag would. Her crazy fiancée had decided to personalise the bands at Lorraine Schwartz and had Jin from BTS to pick it up in secret when he was in the US briefly for work. That crazy woman had to cut back on spending for a while.

She sighed again before she reached for her mobile. “Baby, you should just cave in and alter your band.”

Her response was automatically, and it was no different from the other replies she would receive when she broached this topic. “No, Squishy. I think my ring is perfect.”

She rolled her eyes at her comment. “I bought that jewel because it reminded me of you, Crinkles.”

“No. I don’t like kitschy rings. Look at what I usually wear? When I finally wear my band, it will be the most ostentatious of the whole lot.”

“You got me a bloody gaudy ring,” countered Yongsun as she pursed her lips.

“Baby, you carry it well. I don’t. It’s probably why Jin was laughing his arse off when he caught sight of the rings for the first time. He didn’t think I would wear them.”

She run the pad of her thumb against the stars adorned on the side of the band. “Don't change the subject. For me? I will do anything if you agree to use the jewel on your band.”

“Good try but no.”

“You’re taking the couch.”

“Rule 1, baby.”

Yongsun chortled brightly at her answer as she headed out of their apartment to start her day properly. She knew that after her individual schedule, she would eventually meet her fiancée again for KCON tonight. Her manager had decided to pick her up again which gave her more time to rest.

She greeted the manager warmly and asked about his family before she returned her attention to her conversation with Byulyi.

“Anyway, thank you for the roses. They were pretty.”

“You found them? That’s quick.”

“Uh huh. I am surprised that you did not squash them by accident. Two of them were hidden quite well."

“Of course, I am Moon Greasy, the Queen of Events.”

Yongsun chimed in peals of laughter, amused by her lover. She could not help the joy bubbling from her at the thought of having the privilege of being with her. “Sure, but no more surprises at our binding ceremony.”

“Neither of us have control over it.”

Yongsun sighed, knowing that it was true. Somehow, their families, Hyejin and Wheein had taken over the planning of the whole ritual like the little brats they were. The only thing that they had choice was their clothes and vows, even that needed their approval just in case the couple decided to make light of the ritual.

How could they not trust them to be serious?

“Your fault, Squishy. I was OK with signing it with you at the lawyer’s office and you had to bring up ‘WGM’. Our kids became strangely scary after that."

“Wheein knew that I put in some effort into it because I thought that it was the only way I would experience a wedding. Anyway, if I had done so much for a staged ritual, I should do more for ours.” Her fingers flew over the screen quickly as she waited for her response.

It was clear that Byulyi was busy because she did not reply any more.

When the other woman had responded, it was after her photoshoot with a luxury brand. The shooting went on for hours and it was closer to evening. “As you decreed, Squishy. Happy wife, happy life.”

Yongsun chuckled at her offhanded comment, knowing how her eyes would gleam with mischief as she typed that.

“Cheesy.”

“Too bad. I don’t practise a refund policy. Get something to eat before our performance."

“Great. I am glad we finally agree on something. I would rather have you for dinner, but I’ll settle for something else to sink my teeth into.”

“My reputation and skin thanks you, Kim Yongsun."

“You’re ridiculous.” She had her dinner before they headed to the studio for KCON.

Yongsun stepped into the waiting room reserved for MAMAMOO.The three other members of the group were already inside, chatting animatedly. Her heart was filled with warmth as they were engaged in a very excitable conversation about the merit of different flowers. They had already changed into their black performance outfits.

“My corgis would ruin them,” protested Byulyi firmly, folding her arms across her chest as the soft material of her coat rustled. “Why can’t we keep this simple?” Whine entered her voice as she clutched on Wheein, carefully not to wrinkle her black long-sleeved top.

“How could a gathering of both your families and us be even simple?” protested Hyejin, shaking her head as she examined her long black nails. “Your guestlist is small but it must not be lacking compared to my sister’s wedding.”

“C’mon, Jinie,” urged Byulyi, annoyed. “We’re the rapper line. You should help me.”

“Who was the one who came out with the idea of the contract?” demanded Wheein sharply, glaring at the rapper fiercely.

“Me?” She pointed to herself cautiously, knowing that it was a losing battle.

“You ought to expect this.” Wheein clapped her hand together, delighted.

“For the love of everything that is good, we’re bad at parties! Haven’t our 6th year party proved that?” Her gaze suddenly fell on her as if she had sensed her presence. Her face lightened up immediately with an affectionate smile as she closed the distance between them. “Unnie, you’re here!"

Yongsun could only smiled sweetly at her as their gaze attracted and connected. Byulyi leapt on her feet and pulled her into a quick embrace before taking her hand and leading her towards the two younger singers lounging. Now, Yongsun felt complete next to taller woman.

“Unnie! You’re here,” greeted Hyejin, her gaze soft. “How was the shooting?”

“Stop!” Wheein flashed a ‘T’ sign before turning to face Yongsun, a stern expression on her face. “Unnie, what would you say to red, blue and purple flowers?”

She pursed her lips as Byulyi rested her hand on the dip of her back. “For?”

“Bouquet.”

“Good idea,” approved Yongsun, nodding to herself. “I trust your taste, Wheeinie.” She flashed a thumb-up as Byulyi curled around her. The taller woman busied herself by tidying her black hair absently.

Wheein brightened up as she shot a smirk at Byulyi before she whipped her mobile out to finish her arrangements.

Byulyi caught that action from the corner of her eye. “You’re not booking it in your name, right?”

“No.” The two older members relaxed immediately at her quick response.

“It’s in Jinie’s name. Our pretence is that we are planning another surprise blessing for her elder sister and her brother-in-law.”

Byulyi smacked her forehead with a hand. “And that will help?” She sighed to herself.

Wheein frowned as she held up a finger. “Unnie, you know of any other newlyweds? It’s easier that way. At least we can explain that it is a celebratory party for a wedding but not exactly one?” Her dimple deepened as she smiled.

“I guess that will work if her elder sister did not marry two years ago,” deadpanned Byulyi before patting Yongsun on her behind. “Get changed. Your outfit is over there.”

Yongsun kissed her cheek quickly before she fetched her outfit and changed into it.

“Oh that,” decided Wheein finally. “Oh right, it is 2021.”

Hyejin waved it away as if it wasn’t a problem. “You’re paranoid. It just some nondescript decorations for the garden. And you cannot complain about the decorations because we’re paying someone to do this—”

“No, I should be the one footing the bill,” protested Byulyi, running her hand through her hair. “It’s Unnie and my—"

Hyejin straightened herself immediately. “No. We don’t get to throw either of you a bride-to-be party. We didn’t help you much with your proposal too so that’s settled!”

“I don’t get a say?” demanded Byulyi pleadingly.

“Nope. You just settle the legal arrangements. We’ll arrange a day for you to shop for clothes,” decided Wheein as she worried her bottom lip. “I think Hyejin would be with you.”

“The legal arrangements are completed. We have a non-disclosure contract with him too."

“Wheeinie, there is also the vows,” reminded Hyejin absently, combing her hand through her long hair.

Yongsun returned to the changing room, fully dressed.

“Vows?” clarified Yongsun and she looked at Byulyi for answers.

“Yes, we’ll need to submit our vows to our kids for approval. Deadline?” teased Byulyi, her eyes curved with mirth. Byulyi reached to adjust her outfit when she noticed a crinkle on her jacket. She wore a black tube with a sheer long-sleeved jacket matched with black trousers that flared at the bottom. She attached a golden tassel to give it a more traditional feel. It matched the sewn-in golden dragons and emblems on Byulyi’s coat.

“What vows?”

“Something we say to each other before we sign the deed,” explained the rapper nonchalantly.

Yongsun nodded. “Why don’t I write that part for you and you write one for me?” Her eyes brightened at the thought.

Byulyi shook her head, bringing her arms up to her chest in a ‘X’ “You’re gonna ask me vow to do something weird like letting you sleep in.”

Her eyes widened immediately. “You mean you won’t let me sleep in on our rest days?”

“That’s cruel,” complained Wheein, aghast.

Hyejin nodded fervently.

“ suggestions,” countered Byulyi flatly. “She would include very weird suggestions.” She trembled at the thought.

“Like?” asked Wheein innocently, cocking her head.

“Not falling for it,” countered Byulyi sagely before winking at her playfully.

“OK. What will you ask me to vow?” asked Yongsun, curious.

Byulyi considered for a while, putting a thumb on her lip. “Spit less at me?”

“Hey! That’s a natural reaction. I don’t mean it!” She shoved at her. “Be serious, Byul!” She gave her a warning look. Byulyi merely wrapped her arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to comfort her but she released her after a squeeze.

“Don't leave marks in obvious places,” tried Byulyi again, nodding to herself sagely. She shifted her crop top slightly upward. A neat row of love bites along her rib caught their attention. The rest of the members leaned in for a better look.

Yongsun leapt to stand between her lover and the rest of the group protectively. How could she reveal herself to others? The leader yanked the top down fiercely as she blocked her from sight. “Aish! Don’t do that!” Her cheeks were a bright red. It did not matter to the leader that they usually changed in front of one another.

The two younger members snickered at their leader’s possessiveness and shame.

“You were asking for it,” refuted Yongsun fiercely and she shoved the taller woman away. To work off her embarrassment, the leader smacked her on the chest several times as the taller girl curled up and chortled loudly.

Tears filled in her eyes as she continued to howl in laughter. Soon, the rapper dusted herself and straightened her outfit. “I did nothing to deserve this. I don’t even know why the waitress slipped her number to me!” Byulyi shook her head in exasperation as she braced her arms for more attack. “It was a fact that she had a pretty smile. That comment just slipped out.”

Hyejin rolled her eyes openly at the rapper’s answer. Ah huh, that was her Byulyi-unnie alright. She could not help complimenting beautiful women.

Their leader’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“No, no, no. I think just agree on a few terms and do a handfasting ceremony. Let’s just skip this vows thing.” Wheein lifted her hands and leapt between the couple who looked like they were going to bicker again.

Byulyi cocked her head slightly. “That Irish tradition of handfasting?” She tidied her hair by running her hand through it.

Hyejin whistled, impressed. “I’m never looking down on your knowledge, Unnie.”

“What’s that supposed to mean—”

“What is handfasting?” asked Yongsun, interested.

They searched on Youtube for a video of a handfasting ceremony and Yongsun nodded in understanding. “We can ask Apa to do that for us. Both of our fathers. I think this would work.” Her eyes curved with pleasure. By tradition, their fathers should have a chance to give them away. This had been on her mind because she did want to force them into engendered positions so that the traditions worked: Byulyi and she were both women.

“Can we skip some of the questions like ‘Will it be your intention to make her angry in the future?”

Wheein giggled, seeing the severe expression on Byulyi’s face when she posed that question quietly.

“Of course, we know that answer is a yes. I don’t think we will include that question unless we want you to bicker during the ritual."

Hyejin laughed at the frustrated look on Yongsun’s face. The leader rolled her eyes as she folded her arms across her chest.

“That will be another thing we agree on today. What a surprise,” giggled Yongsun theatrically, covering . It was Byulyi’s turn to glare at her, unimpressed.

Hyejin and Wheein shared a knowing look with each other, catching on immediately. Ah, the couple was still bickering on the use of jewel. “You have to decided soon if you want the rings to be ready for the ceremony,” prompted Hyejin, jumping into the issue. “Unnie sent us an image of that gem. I think Yongsun-unnie should alter her ring instead since it has such a beautiful shade of blue.”

Yongsun covered her engagement ring possessively. “My ring?”

Byulyi rubbed her pointed chin thoughtfully. “That jewel is also in oval cut. 2 carats? If I remembered correctly, that is also the size of her yellow diamond.”

Byulyi reached for her left hand and extend her fourth finger so that they could look at it. “Will it work with this band?” The two metals were melded together exquisitely to extend theme of unity, but it posed an aesthetic problem since not all jewels would play well with it.

Wheein and Hyejin stared at the ring as one of them searched for the photograph of the jewel on her mobile. The jewel was a Star Sapphire, a rare sapphire that was a deep and rich royal blue. Its clarity and shade increased its scarcity. The only reason why Yongsun had bought that breath-taking and unique jewel off an auction on an impulse because it reminded her of a star in the evening sky: a white star would gleam if the jewel were placed under light. “It might be a better fit,” decided Wheein, biting her bottom lip. There was a long pause. “Solar-ssi likes blue.”

The nuance was that the public would not pay too much attention to the ring, seeing it as a fashion statement.

“OK, will it look nice with my ring?” asked Byulyi thoughtfully, scratching the side of her nose. “I would hate if the Eclipse was ruined because of the change.”

“OK. It will look like a lunar eclipse when the sun covers the moon since it is such a deep, royal blue,” remarked Wheein, nodding to herself. “The white gold crescent would match the sapphire.” She tapped her chin with a finger. “Unnie suits something darker too, not this bright yellow—”

“Hey, I like this colour too.” Yongsun withdrew her hand sharply. She looked around the room and noticed that everyone was nodding. “Wait, we have decided? Don’t I have any say in our bands?” She turned to stare at her partner for an answer.

“You just did,” grinned Byulyi brightly, her nose crinkling adorably. “Unnie, you don’t have much preference for the centrepiece anyway. I know you only like the concept of the rings. I’ll contact a craftsman after our performance.”

“And the diamond?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter