PwF 16

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How is Johnny doing overseas?”

Sojung was on the phone with her father-in-law. She had sent Johnny to Singapore to check on the company there, she wanted him to expand his knowledge on the customer market.

“He’s doing well. He’s been reporting back to me for the past 2 days.”

“That’s good. Thank you.”

“Why are you thanking me, dad?”

“It’s because of you, that Johnny’s changing for the better. He’s even okay to go for a 3-day overseas trip. He wouldn’t go no matter how I asked.”

“He should be given the credit.”

Sojung’s office door opened and Mingyu walked in. She gave him a small nod.

“You’re still the biggest reason behind his change.”

“Thanks, Dad, but I still believe change comes from within Youngho. If he doesn’t want to change, no matter what I say or do, he still wouldn’t become better.” She said lightheartedly. “Sorry, I have to get back to work.”

“Oh, go ahead. Thanks for chatting with me.”

Mr Seo hung up and Sojung took a deep breath. She glanced at Mingyu, “What’s the matter?”

“There’s been a phone call for you,” he handed her the piece of paper. “From a Yuta Nakamoto.”

“Oh, he’s one of Youngho’s friends.”

Mingyu pointed to the paper, “He didn’t say much, just told you to call him back.”

She nodded and he excused himself. When the doors closed, she contemplated if she should call Yuta. She was curious to why he was calling her, they didn’t have any interaction before.

So why was he calling her now?

She shook her thoughts and picked up her phone.

 

“Hello?”

“This is Sojung.” She cleared . “May I speak to Yuta?”

“Oh my god! Guys, Sojung called me back. Hey, Sojung!”

She held her phone away from her ear at his excitement. She heard shuffling and pressed her ear on the phone again.

“What’s the matter?”

“The boys and I were wondering--”

She heard more whispers and discussions over the phone. She sandwiched the device between her shoulder and her ear as she continued with her work. Yuta cleared his throat after a few minutes of whispering with his friends.

“The boys and I were wondering if you could come out for lunch.”

“Just me?” She asked nonchalantly, her eyes pinned on her computer screen. “Youngho’s overseas.”

“We know he is. It’s a perfect chance for us to get to know each other.”

“Oh? Okay,” she agreed. “Where to? I’ll buy.”

“We’ll send you an address and nope, you’re not buying. We are.”

Sojung smiled and hummed, hanging up. She looked at the door, “Gyu.”

Mingyu popped his head in.

“I’ll be heading out for lunch, push my meetings back if it’s possible. Otherwise, postpone them to tomorrow.”

“You are actually free almost the whole afternoon, Young Miss. The next meeting is at 4 PM, and it’s a short video conference.”

Sojung nodded and grabbed her bag. He opened the door for her to step through but before he could follow after her, she turned around and stopped him.

“I’m meeting Youngho’s friends,” she said.

“I’ll drop you.”

“And won’t linger around?”

Mingyu wanted to protest but the look on her face told him to hold his tongue. He nodded and stepped aside, rolling his eyes. Sojung just returned his behaviour with an elbow to his stomach. A breath escaped his lips as he rubbed his sore skin.

 

“I’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

Sojung waved at Mingyu as he drove off. She smiled to herself and entered the hotel where the guys were waiting for her. She straightened her outfit, steadied herself and walked into the restaurant.

If there was one thing Sojung needed in her life, was some form of control of matters.

She wouldn’t go head-on into a situation when she didn’t have a plan.

Which was why she was contemplating if it was the right choice to come to lunch.

Alone.

Without Johnny.

She took a deep breath, shaking her thoughts away.

 

“Hey, Sojung’s here!”

Sojung gave the guys a small wave as she approached the table. Jaehyun got up from his seat and pulled out Sojung’s chair for her. She sat down, making the rest of them follow suit.

Yuta and Mark nudged each other, Taeyong called for the waiter to bring the menu over.

“Sorry to pull you from your busy workday,” Jaehyun spoke up. “I hope we didn’t affect your work.”

She shook her head, “It’s alright. I didn’t have any important meetings lined up for the afternoon.”

The waiter came and handed the menu to Taeyong, who then offered it to Sojung.

“Look through the menu first, we’ve already sent in our orders.”

She scanned through the pages only to order a small salad.

“That’s all you’re having?” Jaehyun pointed out as Sojung returned the menu to the waiter.

“Yeah, I had a heavy breakfast.”

They sat in a short silence before Mark spoke up.

“How have things been since the marriage?”

“Has Johnny been good to you?” Yuta added. “If he’s done anything wrong, tell us, we’ll hit him for you.”

Sojung let out a small chuckle, unintentionally mesmerising the men at the table.

Who knew the cold, unknown Princess of Samsung who gave Johnny so much stress would look so pretty when she laughed. 

The waiter came with their orders, Taeyong moved aside to give him more space to set the food down so that Sojung didn’t have to. When her salad arrived, Yuta asked the waiter for an empty plate.

“What’s the plate for?” Mark asked.

“I’m giving Sojung some of my steak. The salad’s just too little for lunch.”

Upon hearing Yuta’s words, the other three started to cut a small portion of their meals and placed them on the plate for Sojung. She was surprised at their behaviour and tried to stop them but they were insistent on feeding her.

“You guys are just too sweet,” she watched the plate pile up. “I--”

“Don’t say no. Just eat up.”

She gave in and they started their meals. There was this warm feeling in her chest.

Sojung had been surrounded by men her whole life.

They were there to protect her, to shield her in case of any Clan or gang wars. They were her guards, her family. It was because she grew up with these men that she didn’t see them as friends.

Now that she was married, she had been learning new things every day.

Especially the term friends.

Sojung found herself feeling a lot of different emotions while digging into her food, feeling happy that Johnny’s friends were treating her like she was their friend too.

She fed herself a piece of Taeyong’s steak. She looked up and saw the quartet looking at her in curiosity.

“How does it taste?” He asked.

“It’s good,” she smiled. “It tastes good.”

 

*

 

Mark and Yuta patted their stomachs in satisfaction when they finished their food. Taeyong and Jaehyun were discussing work when Sojung got to her feet.

“Where are you going, Sojung?” Mark asked. “Desserts not up yet.”

“I’m just going to the bathroom, I’ll be right back.”

She left the table and once she was out of their sight, she went to the counter and pulled out her card. Handing it over to the staff, she pointed in the direction of the table.

“Put everything from that table on this card. I’ll take it when we’re done.”

“Yes, Miss.”

She then went off to the toilet.

 

*

 

After dessert, the boys gave each other looks, deciding through their eyes who was going to get the bill first when the staff came to their table, to return Sojung’s card.

“This Miss has already paid the bill, Mr Yuta.”

The guys sat up. Taeyong shook his head.

“I thought we said it would be our treat?”

Sojung smiled, “It’s alright. You guys can grab the next one. This meal’s on me, take it as a thank-you for making my day.”

She took the card and got to her feet. Her phone rang with a call from Wonho.

“Yeah?”

“Young Miss, Mr Wang is here in the office to see you. Mingyu has gone to pick you up.”

“Got it, I’m done here too.”

Sojung hung up and faced the four friends.

“I have to leave now, thank you for lunch.”

“Bye, Miss Oh!” Mark waved. “Oh wait, Mrs Seo!”

Jaehyun smacked him on his head, “You’re making her sound so old!”

“Just call me Sojung,” she shook her head in amusement. “Or Jung. Up to you.”

“Oh? Then, Jungie it is!”

The group felt another presence with them and saw Mingyu waiting at the entrance. They never said it but they were a little intimidated by the male.

All decked out in black, with that look in his eyes.

Sojung realised who the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter