PwF 15

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yuna, are there any physical archives of Kia’s history?”

Sojung had her tablet with her as Yuna, an intern with Kia, was in her office.

“There is an archives room in the basement. It’s mostly the older employees working on watching the files and no one is able to touch them.”

She got to her feet.

“I want to see a digitised version of the marketing plans and campaigns from the 1990s. Notify a couple of people free to work on it, to get it done. ASAP.”

Yuna nodded and scurried off. She ran to the office where most of the employees were and relayed Sojung’s orders to the team.

“What?” Kimmy huffed. “Isn’t that someone else’s job? Since when has it been our responsibility?”

Yuna shrugged, “I’m just telling you guys what I heard. Anyway, she just needs files between 1990 and 1999. So, hurry up.”

Ryan went up to Mia and slung his arm around her shoulders.

“Let’s go.”

Kimmy gave Mia a huge kiss on her cheek and sent the pair on their way. Ryan and Mia grabbed their laptops and headed down to the basement. The moment they were out of view, Ryan tugged on Mia’s wrist, pressing her against the wall.

 

“Finally, we’re alone.”

Mia giggled, “Hey, we’re still in the office. Someone might see us.”

His palm was against the wall, bracing himself in front of her. She leaned forward and kissed him on his lips before darting away into the archives room. She started working on the tasks at hand, not wanting to suffer under Sojung’s wrath when she felt arms wound around her waist from behind.

“Stop it, let’s complete our tasks first, then we’ll have fun.”

Ryan shook his head and dipped in for another kiss. Mia was caught off-guard and accidentally knocked over two boxes. Papers were scattered all over the place.

“!”

The pair quickly picked the papers up and in their panic, didn’t notice the different labels on the boxes. Mia went around the corner to look for the documents based on the years when she bumped into an elderly janitor. The elder fell to the ground, hurting her back.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” Mia reached to help the old lady up. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

The elder’s hand flew to her back, little groans left her lips. Ryan came running over, Mia was worried over the old lady.

“Why don’t you sit and rest, I’ll finish what you have to do after I’m done with mine, okay?”

“No, no. It’s okay, little girl. I just need to nurse this old back of mine.”

“It’s my fault you fell, please let me help.”

The elder lady chuckled, “You stubborn girl. Okay then, you can help me shred old papers and pack them into the recycle bags.”

“Why do you need to shred them when they’re gonna be thrown away?”

“Sensitive information, missy.” The older woman hit Mia’s head. “Thank you.”

“No problem, auntie.”

 

***

 

Mingyu stood outside Sojung’s door with a note in his hand. He was contemplating if he should tell Sojung about the appointment.

“It’s near lunchtime, so this should be okay right?” He asked himself. “Since it’s lunch.”

The door slid open, Sojung folded her arms while gazing at Mingyu teasingly. He handed her the note with an address written on it.

“What thing’s at lunch?”

“Young Master asked me to inform you that he wants to meet you.”

She took the paper and nodded, turning to her table to take her purse. Mingyu stood by the door, tasked to send her to the restaurant.

 

Sojung arrived at the posh-looking place, the counter staff ushered both of them towards one of the VIP rooms. Sehun was already seated inside, sipping on some wine. Sojung shook her head at his actions and sat down beside him.

“Drinking so early in the day?”

“There’s always time for alcohol,” he refilled his glass. “Do you want some?”

“No thanks. Have you ordered? I’m starving.”

“Hold on, there’s one more person.”

The doors opened and Jongin stepped in. Sojung got to her feet, greeting the male. Sehun watched his sister and stifled a laugh when he noticed how bashful she was acting.

“Hey, little lion. I didn’t know you’ll be here today.”

“You’re still calling her that?” Sehun laughed. “It’s been years since I last heard it.”

Sojung kicked him under the table, “Shut up. Kai can call me whatever he wants.”

He made a face.

“Sure, sure. Whatever you say, baby.”

Jongin chortled and interrupted their banter with a clap.

“Come on, let’s order. Lucas, Mingyu. Sit down and have lunch with us.”

The two guards glanced at each other, then at their respective leaders before settling down at the table and looking through the menu. Jongin tilted his head at Sojung.

“Grilled fish? Or lemon-squeezed?”

“Black pepper,” she stuck a tongue out at him.

Jongin hid his smile and ordered her preference while Sehun decided on his. The waiter poured him a glass of wine, and he offered it to Sojung.

“What about wine?”

“I still have to return to the office later, so no thanks.”

He reached to mess her hair, “Hardworking little lion.”

She pushed his hand away, huffing, “I’ll break your hand.”

“I’ll like to see you try,” he teased. 

Sehun saw their interaction and smiled to himself. 

He always thought that Jongin was a good match for Sojung, be it their looks or personalities.

Jongin knew about their lives, they didn’t need to hide what they do or who they are. Jongin was even able to patch them up if they got hurt. 

Besides, Sehun saw how Jongin looked at his sister.

If only Sojung’s not married.

“Kai, do you have a girlfriend?”

Jongin gave his friend a look, baffled at the question.

“You’re asking me that?”

“Just answer the question.”

“Nope,” he glanced at Sojung. “Still single.”

She shied away from his gaze, the look in his eyes was giving her the feels. It was pressuring. Jongin noticed the slight change in her demeanour and looked away with a smile.

“I’m focusing on my career now since there’s much for me to do as Head Surgeon. I have research papers to write too, so I’ll have no time to date.”

Sehun just nodded in understanding, “Well, honestly, you’ll make a great pair with the baby here. She’s a busy one too.”

“Se.”

She shot him a look.

“I’m just saying.” He shrugged. 

 

Mingyu’s phone started ringing, Sojung glanced up at him as he motioned to her he would take the call outside. He answered but even before he got out of the door, he let out a curse and detoured back to Sojung, handing her the phone.

“Kia’s in trouble.”

She took the phone, dumped her napkin on her seat and left the VIP room.

 

“What is it?” Sojung barked. “You better give me good news.”

“I’m so sorry… I… I was clearing documents and working on the archives thing you requested… But-- I… I’m so sorry, Miss Oh.”

She huffed, “Get to the point, Miss Jeon.”

“Boxes were overturned and I-- I accidentally shredded an old document.”

She took a deep breath to steady her anger.

“How old?”

“Like first-gen agreement papers old.”

Sojung shut her eyes, taking another deep breath, “I want to see you and those involved with this problem in my office. I’ll be back in 15 minutes.”

She turned around when she heard the door open, it was Jongin. She patted his arm when he tried to say something, he nodded and kept silent.

“I don’t care who’s fault it is. I want to see you all.”

She hung up angrily, pinching her nose bridge.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s work. Excuse me.”

She side-stepped him, entering the VIP room and motioning for Mingyu to move. She gave her brother and Jongin an apologetic look.

“Someone made trouble,” she said simply. “I have to go.”

Sehun nodded at his friend, Jongin grabbed his keys.

“I’ll send you two.”

She shook her head, “Mingyu drove.”

Jongin took Sojung’s purse from her, not taking no for an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter