9

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Minhyun's eyes widened at that moment when he saw the look in Dongho's eyes change. His heart stopped but his hand was different. He shoved Dongho away and his whole body shifted to the other corner of the couch to get away from him. He looked at Dongho who chuckled softly and sat on the floor.

 

"Did I scare you? I'm sorry," Dongho apologised while going back to his cheerful facade. Minhyun felt his heart beat like mad and he was in a confused state.

 

"Did you just try to kiss me?" Minhyun blurted out and Dongho shook his head.

 

"I wouldn't do that without asking. I just wanted to see how you'll react with me being that close to you. After all... If I can't even be that close to you, I don't think dating is possible, isn't it? Before this too, you always avoid holding hands for too long." Dongho stood up and patted his pants. "I think I should go home now."

 

Minhyun didn't know what to say as Dongho picked up his bag and walked towards the door. 

 

"And I'm sure whatever it is, Baekho will never do anything to hurt you. He... Cares more about people than I do." Dongho smiled thinly and left. He made his way back home and opened the door, already expecting Baekho to be there sitting in the dark while hugging his legs. "Baekho." 

 

"Eh. Dongho, you're home. How's Minhyun?" 

 

"You should go over and see him yourself. I left the door open for you and... You might have to comfort him for me. Turns out I'm really bad at trying to convey my feelings." 

 

Without hesitation, Baekho got off the couch and rushed next door. Dongho gritted his teeth and went upstairs. 

 

Minhyun jumped a little when there were small knocks on his front door before it opened and Baekho peeked inside. 

 

"Minhyun? Are you there?" came the small timid voice. Minhyun gazed up slightly at the door and down again as Baekho entered his home and closed the door. "Um... Im really sorry about earlier. W-what you heard. I-I rejected Minki, of course." 

 

Minhyun didn't want to hear that now. He didn't want to see either of them because...because they looked alike. One reminded him of the other and vice versa. 

 

"Uh... That's all I wanted to tell you."

 

"Baekho."

 

"Yes?!"

 

"Things like... Kissing and hugging. Holding hands... Do you want to do them with me too?" Minhyun asked while tightening his grip around his legs. Baekho became flustered and fidgety. 

 

"E-eh?" 

 

Minhyun looked at him and his eyes widened slightly. Baekho gulped with red cheeks and one hand reached up to cover them. 

 

"I-I mean... Sure, I would. B-but if you don't w-want, I wouldn't," He replied awkwardly and Minhyun smiled. 

 

"Hmm... I've always thought Dongho was easier to talk to... More honest too but I think sometimes too honest." 

 

"Eh..."

 

"But there's something about you too. You're clumsy with words but I feel calmer somehow. I ran away earlier because... I think I felt something but I didn't want to let it fester so I avoided you because... What if I've been lying to myself all along?"

 

Baekho took small steps towards Minhyun and sat on a separate couch as he listened to the other talk. Contrary to people's beliefs, Baekho was a good listener. He didn't mind listening to Minhyun talk for hours and hours. After all, he thought the other had a pretty voice and one that was able to coax Baekho into wanting to hear more. 

 

"What if... I do feel something for you two and I just.... Don't want to accept that?" 

 

"Because we are guys?" 

 

"And friends. Childhood friends. What if I lose both of you at the end of this? I don't want that. Or what if I just think I feel something more so I don't feel left out? Or so I won't hurt your feelings but it ends up horrible anyways?" 

 

Baekho fiddled with his fingers as he looked at his toes.

 

"It's also unfair if I don't give you both a proper response. You could move on and find someone else...." 

 

Baekho just nodded absent mindedly. "But I think it's fine if you need time too. It's all a first for all of us, isn't it?" 

 

Minhyun chuckled and nodded. "Yeah... I mean, I never thought my best friends would suddenly confess to me. Its still bizarre."

 

"It is. To me too. I... I never thought there would be a day where you find out t-that I have.... Um.... Feelings for you," Baekho whispered and pulled at his fingers just to keep his nerves down. 

 

"And suddenly I feel like a dense idiot." Minhyun sighed and tilted his head upwards as he leaned against the couch. Talking to Baekho was a different feeling from talking to Dongho. It almost felt like he didn't need to hold his words back with Baekho and he didn't know why. Was it because Baekho was more carefree? 

 

"No, Dongho is the idiot. So am I." 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"We shouldn't have been so sudden with the confession and the date and everything. We basically threw everything onto you without warning even though you were just trying to fix our relationship. I admit it was petty of us to be so against one another because of our... Feelings for you and to let that affect you too. 

 

Minhyun was somewhat relieved to hear Baekho say that. At least he wasn't the only one who thought everything suddenly progressed too fast as if someone was playing a speed run for a game. 

 

"Ah... So... Are you feeling even a bit better now?" 

 

Minhyun nodded and stood up, giving his body one long stretch. "Mhmmm. Thank you. Oh. How rude of me. Do you want something to drink?" 

 

"No, it's okay. I should go back over. Any longer and Dongho will start sulking too." 

 

"Oh. How do you know Minki?" 

 

"Hmm? Ah... Well, that. He was being surrounded by a bunch of thuggish seniors once and I thought that I should help him but turns out he didn't need the help. That seemed to have made him think we were friends though." 

 

"I see but isn't that fine? To be friends even for such a simple reason." 

 

Baekho got up and shrugged. 

 

"Since everyone else except the soccer club avoids you too."

 

"I guess. I should probably apologise to him..."

 

Minhyun smiled and stepped closer to Baekho. He noticed Baekho's cheeks turned red and he said nothing about it. He just gave it a poke and chuckled before walking away again. Baekho blinked in confusion as he placed a hand on his cheek. 

 

"Maybe Dongho is right. Maybe I do like you more." 

 

"Eh?" 

 

~~~

 

Minhyun stood outside his house, waiting for the twins since it was always them waiting first but not today. After what he had said the day before, Baekho had become beet red and left since his parents came home. Minhyun wondered why he said that and if Baekho had told Dongho but he doubted Baekho would. That's just how he was like. Always making sure he didn't hurt others. The gate opened and Dongho came out first followed by a yawning Baekho. Minhyun adjusted his blazer and smiled. Both twins flinched when they saw him. One turned red and the other looked guilty.

 

"Good morning."

 

"Morning," Dongho replied and put on a smile. Baekho just nodded and crossed his arms nervously.

 

"Dongho, about yesterday," Minhyun started but Dongho shook his head.

 

"It's okay. It was my fault for being so assertive."

 

"No, let me finish," Minhyun said firmly and Dongho nodded. "You're right that I can't hold you like you want me to and I also don't have an answer to both of your confessions right now but if you'll give me more time, I'll make sure to give you a proper answer." 

 

Dongho nodded and gripped his bag. "Is that all?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"What about the dates? Can we still go on the dates?" 

 

Minhyun gasped softly. He didn't mean to forget about the dates. He was a little too caught up with their confession to think about it. "I... I guess we can still go. Both of you. I'll give both of you your chances. I've decided to face this head on s-so bring it!" 

 

Dongho and Baekho were both surprised but seeing that Minhyun was now enthusiastic about giving them both a chance, they weren't going to back out either. 

 

"In that case," Dongho said and took a step forward. He held Minhyun's arm. "Can we walk to school like this?" 

 

"EHHHH?!" 

 

"Oi! That's not fair!" Baekho hissed and pulled on his twin. Minhyun turned red and took a step back. "Minhyun!" 

 

He looked at Baekho and flinched. "Y-yes?" 

 

"I-I-" Baekho became red with embarrassment, hands lifting up as he stared at Minhyun's other arm. "C-c-c" 

 

Dongho smirked and stepped closer to Minhyun on purpose. Baekho jumped and bit his lower lip. 

 

"A-ah! Forget it!" Baekho squeaked and was about to rush off but Minhyun grabbed his arm instead. 

 

"I-I mean... If Dongho gets to do it..." 

 

Dongho pouted but Baekho brightened up before he cleared his throat and turned away. "Just... If... A bit." Baekho held Minhyun's sleeve instead and Minhyun swore his heart probably plummeted. Dongho took notice, of course and frowned. 

 

"That's cheating," Dongho grumbled and Baekho glared at him despite his red cheeks. 

 

"What's c-cheating?! Y-you held his arm! I'm just h-holding his sleeve." 

 

"Alright, you two. Let's go to school before we are all late," Minhyun said, feeling exhausted despite it just being morning. Baekho held his sleeve and Dongho held his arm in the end as the trio marched to school. Once they reached the school gates, Baekho pouted since he had to let go first but he still did. 

 

"I...the field." 

 

Minhyun stopped and Dongho had to as well. "Oh. Okay. Good luck with practice today." 

 

Baekho flinched and smiled. Minhyun blinked as Baekho waved and hurried off to the field before turning to Dongho. "Huh." 

 

"Hmm? What's wrong?" 

 

"Could you smile?" 

 

Dongho tilted his head and smiled naturally. Minhyun jolted and chuckled softly. "Maybe it's just my imagination." 

 

"What is?" 

 

"It's nothing big. I can head to class with you today since I only have a meeting after school." 

 

"Yay," Dongho cheered as they headed to the class. He was happy he didn't scare Minhyun away and that Minhyun was allowing them to chase him. He still did wish Minhyun's attention was all on him but he couldn't afford to be greedier right now. He just had to do his best so Minhyun would look his way. "Minhyun, what would you want to do on dates?" 

 

"Hmm? Uh..." Minhyun rubbed his neck as he gave it some thought. "I don't know. I've never been on one. Anything is fine, isn't it?" 

 

"But I want it to be memorable," Dongho said softly. He slowly moved his hand away from Minhyun's arm as well since other students were arriving and he didn't want to make Minhyun uncomfortable with their stares. 

 

"Mmm.... In that case, is there anything you want to try? Maybe we can go like bungee jumping or something like that?" 

 

Dongho gasped since he knew Minhyun had always been more adventurous with trying new things compared to him and his twin. It wasn't like they weren't but probably not as much. "That's frightening, isn't it?" 

 

"Hmmm... I heard some places let you jump with instructors so there's no need to worry, right?" 

 

"That's true..."

 

"Sky diving would be exciting!" 

 

"I don't think they'll allow students to take that," Dongho chuckled. 

 

"Then we can just do simple dates then. Like what we always do. They're still a nice memory and we can relax and chat." 

 

Dongho nodded and gave it some thought. He hoped he could come up with something that'll make Minhyun happy.