20

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Baekho did eventually come back home but he refused to leave his room. Even when his parents tried to convince him, he stayed inside. Dongho was worried about his twin but decided it was better to let him be for now. If Baekho thought he hated him and wanted him gone, what could Dongho even say to make anything better? Dongho texted Minhyun that Baekho was home safely but even when the student council president came over to try his luck, Baekho ignored the knocks and calls. He didn't even reply to Minhyun's texts which really upset the student president.

 

The holiday went by without any luck of getting Baekho out from his room and the day they needed to go to school again, Dongho didn't think this could last any longer. He didn't even see their parents off when Dongho pleaded him. He was quite sure Baekho still ate since the tray of food he left outside his room would always be finished and cleanly put away but he couldn't let Baekho just keep himself locked up in his room. He got up early and freshened up as always. He made his way to Baekho's room and breathed in, placing his hands on his eyes just to be sure they weren't wet before knocking the door. It opened slightly and Dongho felt a little hopeful but what came out from the room made his heart run cold. Baekho's hair was black and down just like his own. He wore no piercings or earrings and he even had his blazer on. Dongho almost thought he was looking in a mirror for a split second and it horrified him because it was how Baekho hated to look. 

 

To look like him. 

 

"B-Baekho..." 

 

"Morning," Baekho replied him through gritted teeth. Dongho blinked his eyes, relieved that he hadn't burst out into tears again.

 

"Morning... Your hair."

 

"Yeah. Don't mind it. We have to go to school, right?"

 

"Uh... Yeah."

 

Although Dongho wasn't used to it yet, he couldn't do anything about it. He didn't dare comment on it further too. He locked up as they headed out and waited for Minhyun who was equally shocked to see the twins looking identical.

 

"Baekho, Dongho," Minhyun blurted out at the sight of them. He could tell them apart easily after spending years with them but the sight of them looking alike again still managed to shock him.

 

"Morning, Minhyun," Dongho said stiffly, still a little stunned from the initial shock.

 

"Morning."

 

"Morning," Baekho said as well. Minhyun smiled and nodded before trying to act nonchalant about it. They walked to school silently and was about to part ways when someone grabbed hold of Baekho's blazer.

 

"Dongho sunbae," a junior said and Baekho turned around. Dongho flinched and hurriedly smiled.

 

"I'm Dongho, Chan ah," Dongho said and the boy gasped, letting go of Baekho and immediately having a spooked expression.

 

"I-I'm so sorry!"

 

"It's okay." Baekho shrugged it off and headed to the field. Minhyun pursed his lips and decided that trying to act indifferent was making him more nervous so he went after Baekho. He held Baekho's hand and the other immediately pulled away. 

 

"Baekho, talk to me," Minhyun said softly. 

 

"What do you want?" Baekho replied him and Minhyun furrowed his brows. 

 

"Both Dongho and I know you hate to look the same so why did you change your appearance?" Minhyun asked and Baekho turned away. 

 

"Why does it matter? Blonde or black. I'm still me, right?" 

 

"Yes, you are but.." 

 

"But what? You can't accept it even though you were the one who preferred if I looked like Dongho too?" 

 

Minhyun gasped and shook his head. "I... I wanted you... No, I just want you to be happy however you looked." 

 

"It doesn't matter, Minhyun. Looking like this will make everyone else happier, right? So it's fine," Baekho muttered and Minhyun shook his head. 

 

"Not you." Baekho didn't say anything and Minhyun felt guilty. He tried to reach out for Baekho again and the other stepped away. "Baekho... If you ever need someone to talk to, I'll listen. I promise you." 

 

"Yeah... I hear you."

 

"And one more thing... You matter to me a lot, Baekho. I don't want you to think that nobody cares about you or nobody wants you because I do," Minhyun said honestly. He felt like tearing up since it felt like his words wasn't reaching Baekho who just nodded and started to walk away but he held it in. His fists balled up. 

 

"Dongho? No, wait. Baekho! Your hair and clothes," Daniel exclaimed. Baekho just gave him a half smile and headed to the changing room to switch out for his PE clothes. "Something bad happened? You know, they do say people change their hairstyle when they feel like letting go of something." 

 

"Mmm...," Baekho just mumbled, not in the mood to talk much as he started to stretch and warm up. 

 

"You okay, dude?" 

 

"If I say no?" 

 

"You could always talk to me." 

 

"Thanks but I think I'll pass. Ten laps, race you?" Baekho offered and Daniel nodded. They started off to a sprint and went around the field. Baekho felt like screaming. He felt like letting out all the emotions he had held back yet he only felt numb even as he dragged his legs across the field as always without rest. Faster and faster, wishing to break free from this mold he had put himself in. 

 

"You're so fast today," Daniel panted as they finished all ten laps. "Holy crap. I didn't know you could... Run that fast. Were you holding back this whole time?" 

 

"Maybe," Baekho replied. "Daniel... I... I'm thinking about quitting soccer after we get to enter the nationals and play it." 

 

"What? But you're great at soccer." 

 

Baekho clenched his fists. "I know but it's not what I want." 

 

"Oh. Well... Its your choice ultimately although it'll be such a waste." 

 

Baekho nodded and headed to the field to practice as Daniel watched him with confused eyes. He knew something must have had happened during the holidays but Baekho wasn't the type to just open up so he didn't know what to do except to let Baekho do whatever he wanted. 

 

"Dongho sunbae!"

 

"Sunbaenim!"

 

"Ah! Dongho!"

 

Minhyun stared at Baekho who looked even more worn out as usual at the end of the school. Dongho was equally worn out too as the two kept getting mixed up since they looked identical again. The three of them headed home together for the first time in awhile since there was no practice and Minhyun didn't have to attend a meeting either.

 

"I'm so... Tired. Why were there so many... People... Finding for me today?" Dongho wheezed softly.

 

"Who told you to be so nice to everyone?" Baekho growled as he had to handle being mistaken for his twin constantly. The two couldn't even take a break as they went from clubs to classrooms and the field together just to help out the other students.

 

"Well, the camping trip is coming up so I guess everyone is trying to make sure that everything will be smooth sailing when the seniors and our year leave," Minhyun said and ruffled both their heads.

 

"It's not like I want to be nice to everyone," Dongho scowled at Baekho who hissed back at him. "Nobody told you to change your hairstyle back. That's why we keep getting mistaken today and why you get dragged along."

 

"Alright, you two. If you start bickering now, I'm leaving," Minhyun sighed and that managed to shut the two up. Dongho made sure there were no other students nearby before he held Minhyun's sleeve.

 

"Minhyun ah, can I hold your hand?"

 

"Eh?"

 

"There's no one else nearby and surely Baekho wouldn't mind either."

 

"Uh... Sure," Minhyun said, giving in easily. Baekho fumed as Dongho held Minhyun's hand and he twitched. "Baekho?" Minhyun held his hand out to Baekho who flinched. "It's only fair to treat you two the same, right?"

 

"Ugh..." Baekho stared at Minhyun's hand. He really wanted to hold it since he didn't get to hold it much during their date as well but Dongho unintentionally shot a glare at him and he held back. Minhyun sighed and grabbed his hand instead. "M-Minhyun."

 

"Come on, you two big babies." Minhyun squeezed both their hands and kept walking. He remembered holding both their hands last time whenever they went out on rare family outings with Minhyun's family but that was when they were much younger. He didn't know when he became more conscious about hygiene or intimacy and stopped holding onto them. Their hands were larger than his now and fit perfectly within the frame of his hand. 

 

"Your hands are getting clammy," Dongho spoke up and Minhyun gasped, pausing in his steps. The twins both walked a little further ahead and stopped, turning around just in time to see Minhyun's blushing face. They both blinked and exchanged glances. 

 

"Dongho, Baekho, we should talk about this properly," Minhyun said. Baekho raised his brows. He knew what Minhyun was planning but he wasn't sure about going through with it now. He was fine with them just hanging out with one another as always but Dongho seemed more than ready. 

 

"Are you sure?" Dongho asked though since he didn't want Minhyun to force himself. Minhyun nodded and smiled. 

 

"Let's go back to my place first." 

 

The twins sat antsily on the couch for different reasons while Minhyun prepared tea for them. He placed the cups on the table and took a seat himself before gazing at his childhood friends. They looked just like they once had. Black hair, innocent faces, identical outfits. Minhyun used to have a difficult time telling them apart but he soon figured that Dongho was the one who stayed super close to him all the time while Baekho would always be there if he needed help. 

 

"Firstly, I want to clear up something. Baekho." 

 

Baekho flinched and looked at Minhyun but hurriedly averted his gaze again. 

 

"Will you talk to us about why you decided to change your hair color back? And why you decided to dress appropriately?" Minhyun asked. He was distracted the entire day because of that and now that they were all alone in his home, he figured there was no better time to ask. "Do you really think nobody would want or need you? So you decided to go back to looking like Dongho?" 

 

"Minhyun," Dongho muttered nervously. He didn't want Baekho to have another outburst and hurt either of them. 

 

"No, I need to know, Dongho." 

 

Baekho gritted his teeth and fiddled with his fingers. "That's right... Everyone only needs Dongho. Even today... You saw how it was like." 

 

"Baekho, that's not true," Dongho squeaked. 

 

"Do you really think that?" Minhyun asked again and Baekho bit his lower lip. "What about soccer then? Do you think Dongho will be able to take your place? What about your childhood? Do you think Dongho will be here if there was only one of you?" 

 

Baekho gasped and squeezed his hands. "I... They could have find someone else to fill the spot and... And Dongho wouldn't have to suffer if I wasn't here." 

 

"That's not true!" Dongho snapped and gripped Baekho's arm tightly. 

 

"Ow." 

 

"I know I haven't been the best brother but I've always been thankful that you were with me. You were always... My moral support and you always let me... Do things my way. I'm sorry I took them all for granted," Dongho said, tearing up a little but holding it in as he crumpled beside Baekho while holding his arms tightly. Baekho was stunned and uneasy. "I'm sorry it took me so long to apologise. I'm sorry if I made you feel hurt or left out. I promise I'll try to be better."

 

Baekho bit his lower lip and slowly moved his arms. He wrapped them around Dongho, pulling him into a hug. Minhyun smiled warmly at the two of them. Baekho looked at Minhyun and furrowed his brows before burying his face on his brother's shoulder.