이십 삼

The Real Me

After hours, we finally arrive back home. I see the whole Cha family outside, all have red eyes from crying.

''Oh Taekwoon, we were really worried. We really thought you wouldn't return at all.'' a young woman cries.

I faintly smile at her. I get off the carriage and I look around me to take in what I had missed in the mean time. It's been a while since I have seen broad daylight, even though I wasn't away for almost a day. I wonder how Lord Cha managed to find me so quick, because this is the fastest I have ever been found.

Hakyeon rushes towards me and wraps his arms around my neck. He continues to cry, while his head is being burried into my shoulder. I was taken aback by how fast he rushed towards me, which resulted in my sudden gasp, but I'm glad he is here and that he was waiing for me.

''I'm back Hakyeon and I'm not leaving either. This is my home and not wherever I was taken to.'' I assure Hakyeon, who is bawling like a child.

Miyeon is the next one to approach me and she also gives me a hug, although hers is shorter than Hakyeon's hug. Miyeon smiles once she withdraws from the hug and a sigh of relief escapes .

''I'm glad you have returned, because we really thought you would never come back. I'm relieved to see my father has found you and has safely returned you to us. Now I hope that they will never come back again.'' Miyeon smiles.

I hope so too, but I can't guarantee that Daejung will do just that. Daejung made a whole show back there and, I learned about this, vampires can't lie at all. Which means that Daejung will definitely return here to take me back for good.

''You must be Taekwoon right?''

A female voice asks from out of the blue. Hakyeon stops crying and he releases himself from me to step aside, since he too wants to know who this woman is.

An older woman, who I believe is in her 40s, smiles when our eyes meet. She looks good for her age, but I do notice that her skin is really pale. Is this her natural skin tone or is she like Daejung, my ''dad''?

''Ehm, hi.'' I carefully say.

The woman approaches me carefully, while Hakyeon wraps both arms around my waist and holds me tight against him. I don't want to let her know what is going on between me and Hakyeon, since I'm not sure myself. To me, Hakyeon is a good friend. But I don't know what I'm like to Hakyeon himself.

''I'm Choi Min Ah and I was looking for you actually. I have no idea what is going on here, but that is something I do not care about at the moment. The reason I'm here, is that I heard of you. People have been telling me about you and I had to see you with my own eyes. Taekwoon, I'm your mother.'' the woman explains.

My heart drops as I look at Hakyeon. This woman is my mother? Or does she claim to be? I mean, people can claim whatever they want and people would still believe them anyway. 

I look back at her and I see a determined look in her eyes, as if she tries to tell me that she isn't lying. And as if she heard my thoughts, she takes a paper out of her small bag and hands it over to me. While still being sceptical, I unfold the paper the woman just gave me. And the minute my eyes rest on the paper, my heart drops once again... this woman wasn't lying at all.

''B-But why did you take so long to find me? Why didn't you come to me sooner?'' I ask, while tears fill my eyes.

The woman takes a few more steps, just to place a hand on my shoulder. She then pulls me in for a quick hug, but releases me shortly after.

''Because I never stopped looking for you. You see, I wanted to see you. But wherever I went and asked, I could never find you. It's like you disappeared in front of me time and time again.'' the woman explains.

I'm still confused, not sure how to respond to this. Just one moment I was held captive by the vampire who was my dad, while I meet my biological mother in the next. This happened way too soon, maybe a little movie like ''too soon''. But I guess that also answers my question as to where my mum is, since Daejung claimed she was still alive.

The woman brushes with her hand through my long locks and smiles. But at the same time, tears show up in her eyes too.

''You've grown so much my son, I literally thought that you were dead. But how are you like? As in, are you fully human or not?'' the woman asks out of curiosity.

I feel a lump in my throat. I hate myself so much for being a part of both the human race and also being partially a monster, which is a vampire. I can tell she can feel my hatred for myself and how I have become, but she doesn't say anything.

''I'm partially human, I'm also partially a vampire. But I hate it being partially a monster, that is the most ugliest side of me.'' I answer her question, full of disgust.

The woman in front of me looks me straight in the eyes, but her smile doesn't fade. Should I be happy or should I be creeped out? I don't know, as I feel like I can't answer my feelings about that.

''I'm glad you weren't born fully as a vampire. I know how annoying those creatures can be and how they can kill humans, but you at least still have human feelings and you can still act human too. You're not like your father, whose goal is to take away as many human lives as possible. I didn't leave your father for nothing, I left him right after I discovered his true self. I had heard about the attacks from those creatures and I didn't want to believe it at first.

But then, I discovered your father's true identity. I was so heartbroken by what I saw, I didn't recognise him anymore. I left him the morning after he went on a hunt again, I had learned that vampires sleep during the daytime unless they wear something that'll protect them from the daylight. Your father didn't have anything on that would protect him, so he only went on a hunt at nighttime. I had staged everything, so that your father wouldn't look for me after I left. And for the longest time, I managed to stay out of his hands. But at the same time, I wanted to look for you aswell. Your father was the one who dropped you off somewhere in the middle of this village and he still wanted to search for you, so his short term memory didn't kick in. Your father never took any responsibility, so it's not me who abandoned you. It was your father himself who abandoned you.'' she explains.

Hakyeon's grip on me tightens a little, while my mind has become a tornado. I am so confused, I don't know what to think. So Daejung has been lying to me? It was never him who wanted me back, but it was my mum? Why did Daejung held me captive? Why do the vampires call me ''a long lost jewel'' if they clearly hate halfbloods like me?

''You're okay, Taekwoon?'' Hakyeon asks concerned.

I shake my head. Ofcourse I'm not okay. I just got out of the hands of Daejung and now my mum shows up, telling me that it was my dad who abandoned me at this place and not her? This confirms to me even more what a horrible monster Daejung actually is. There's no way I'll be able to forgive him for this, if there is something to be forgiven. Vampires have no human feelings at all and don't even care when someone is mad or when someone is in panic, neither does Daejung.

''Why don't you come inside with us, miss? You can catch up with Taekwoon while enjoying something to drink.'' Lord Cha says.

My mother looks at him and smiles, followed by a nod. She releases her hand from me and it's Hakyeon who takes me with him inside. However, she does talk to Lord Cha when she joins us inside. I can tell that she is relieved that she found me again, especially because of how dangerous Daejung is like. Well, I haven't seen the darkest side of Daejung yet. But I have seen what he might be capable of and come to think of it... I think he actually was ready to turn me into a fullblood vampire. I mean, why would he have looked for me otherwise?

''I'm glad you're back again, Taekwoon. I missed you a lot and I was worried to death.'' Hakyeon whispers.

I look at him and I smile at him. I don't want him to be worried about me, when I just literally returned. And yes, I get it that being a few days missing might feel like forever. But again, I'm back and I'm not planning to let Daejung take me once again. So I must continue to train with Hakyeon in order to become stronger. I also am too well aware of the fact that the Raveners are with an entire army, while I'm just on my own. I don't want Hakyeon to be involved in this matter, as I believe that this is something me and Daejung have to take care of.

''Don't be, I'm back. And besides, I won't let this monster take me away another time. I cannot let that happen.'' I ensure Hakyeon.

Hakyeon smiles, but it's a weak smile. It's like he cannot believe my words and that time will tell if he can believe me or not. I wish time was on my side and maybe it will be, I just don't want Daejung to come back and to take me away again.

My mind then takes me back to the first time I met Lord Cha. He told me that I wouldn't be able to run as fast as a vampire, my mind makes me believe I can, but I am immortal? I don't wanna think about Hakyeon aging and dying one day, leaving me behind in this eternal life. It's great I won't grow old and die, but why can't Hakyeon? I also don't wanna bite him again, because what happens if I accidentally turn Hakyeon into a vampire? Is he going to be a halfblood like me? I don't think he'll be a fullblood vampire, considering the fact that I'm a halfblood vampire and I guess that we aren't as strong as fullblood vampires.

My mother, it's still weird to call her this way, is still in a deep conversation with Lord Cha while expressing her doubts about my safety. Daejung is a smart vampire and he won't give up easily, especially knowing that I'm staying with Lord Cha. Daejung knows that and he'll keep his eye on me every move I make. Well, at nighttime maybe. Daejung doesn't have anything he can wear that'll protect him from the daylight, I have the necklace that holds the power to so many things. I feel like it's not just making it able for me to walk in broad daylight, but it's also holding me back from going all the way on anyone. I mean, I only lashed out once... I still had the necklace on. But will I lose full control over myself when I take it off? I'm kinda scared and I'm not ruling out that Lord Cha might use that against me during the upcoming training sessions...

~~~~~~

A/N That's right everyone! I'm back. I may not post too often, because I work six days a week and that leaves me without any time to write something. But let's be honest, I'm happy to work on these stories again.