* 열 다섯

The Real Me

When it's time for lunch, I make my way back to the Cha family and they all seem very curious how it's going. I really hate myself right now and I wonder why I was born like this, but those questions can only be answered when I meet my biological parents. I have a hard time to accept that the man who raised me might not be my adoptive dad, but I see him as my biological dad. Same counts for my mother and my siblings, I see them as my biological family.

''Well Taekwoon, how is it going?'' the Lord asks and I take a seat next to Hakyeon, the only spot that remained to be empty. All the eyes are burning on me, but I do everything I can to ignore it. Hakyeon has two younger sisters and one younger brother and all of them look at me with curiosity shown in their eyes. I make eyecontact with the Lord and I keep my mouth shut. I'm not doing it on purpose, I just can't seem to open my mouth and to share with him how it went. It felt like real horror to me, because I am exposed to this monster side so many times already that I started to hate myself.

''I appreciate the information that I get when it comes to how vampires are like, because I slowly start to see the pieces falling together. I have to get used to the training sessions, because they're quite tough.'' I explain and I look at the amulet of my necklace. I wonder how this necklace has been able to protect me for so long and how a necklace like this is able to keep me under control. But I'll keep it on me, because it feels safe and I only have had my first practice. I'm scared that something might happen if I take it off.

The Lord chuckles at the time I look up again. He wants to open his mouth to say something, but a scholar enters the room and looks immediately at me. I'm startled by this visit of a scholar, whom I never had any connections with. But the tone of his voice concerns me, as if something bad has happened. I shouldn't think too much of the scholar being here, because this is a place I haven't been before and I meet new people who seem strange to me at first sight. Maybe they aren't that strange, maybe they work here or are connected to the Cha's for another reason.

''Can I please talk to you in private?'' the scholar asks and the concern in his voice is only increasing. I get up after nodding and I follow him to an empty room, a room which the Cha's haven't used for the past 5 years. The two of us take a seat on the ground and I can't help but ask why the scholar is looking for me. Right when he looks up to me and starts to speak, I understand why he has concern in his voice.

''Behind closed doors, we were trying to figure out where your mother was. Even we were aware of your mother's disappearance and we wanted to look for her, so that we could give you and your family some answers. But we decided to tell you first before we are going to inform the rest of your family about it. What I want to tell you is... your mother has been murdered by the Raveners. The reason was to capture you and by killing her, they thought you would definitely come and look for her so that they could kidnap you.'' the scholar explains and my eyes widen, as sadness takes over at the same time. What? Was that why the Raveners came to our house and tried to take me with them?

The scholar scoots closer to me and places his hands on my shoulders for comfort and it lasts only for about 5 seconds. I start to cry after losing the battle of holding back the tears and it doesn't take long before the scholar pulls me close and wraps his arms around me for a quick hug. I bury my face into his shoulder and I cry uncontrollably. Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to be different? Different in the wrong way? But I need to beat the Raveners to show them that I can't be messed with. They need to leave me alone and let me live the life I want, same counts for Sang Chul.

''You're safe here, Taekwoon. I hope that this tragic news will motivate you to do well in the training sessions that are still ahead of you. I will ask your family to come here to grief, because it's not safe for them to stay there if they want to be close to you in this dark time.'' the scholar says as he rubs over my back. I hope that I can count on his words, because I don't trust anyone at this point. Why did the Raveners had to kill my mother? Did they seriously do it to take me away in the end? Why is everyone outside so obsessed with me? 

I hear footsteps at some point, but I can't even look up right now. I finally have the answer to why my mother was missing, but to know that she was killed by those who want to make us their puppets... I will never forgive the Raveners for this. I will make sure that I'll get revenge and I don't care if some of the Raveners have to die, I will make sure they experience the same pain as I feel right now.

''What's wrong with him?'' Hakyeon asks out of the blue and I let go of the scholar immediately, while looking at Hakyeon with teary eyes. Hakyeon's expression turns from curiosity to sadness. The scholar gets up and tells Hakyeon what he just told me. Hakyeon bows at the scholar, who does the same and leaves the room shortly after he bowed to Hakyeon. Hakyeon gets on his knees and pulls me in for a hug without wasting any second.

''I am so sorry for you, Taekwoon. I'm sorry you have to go through this pain, but you're safe here. We will protect you in here, we will do everything it takes to keep all those nasty figures away from you. We need to get you ready before you are going to face them and when you're going to look for those lost pieces of the puzzle, you never know who will cross your path.'' Hakyeon tries to comfort me, as he is rubbing over my back with his hand. My chin is resting on his shoulder and I slowly wrap my arms around his waist, something Hakyeon seems to accept. I can't wait for my dad and my siblings to visit me, I can't wait to cry in their arms. I only want my family near me and I want their support as we go through this pain together. We have the answers on why she was missing, but now I want to give her a proper goodbye.