44444

Summer of Some Regret

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a Friday evening when Mark was back with his friends. Renjun, Jeno, Chenle, Jaemin, Jisung, Donghyuck and himself all sat on Jeno's back porch, the setting sun bouncing off the windows of his neighbors and hitting his porch just right. 

Jeno was packing a bowl in his pipe, leaning over Jaemin (who was sitting on his lap). Chenle watched in fascination, resting his head on Renjun's shoulder as they squeezed onto one lawn chair. Jisung was trying to fix his juul, and Donghyuck was looking at his phone. 

"Don't your neighbors mind?" Mark asked. The buildings around Jeno's flat were packed in tight. 

"Yeah, but not enough to get me in trouble. Anyways, my parents smoke too so the blame is equal." Jeno lit the bowl, inhaling the smoke and holding it in. 

"Your parents smoke weed?" Mark asked with surprise. 

"Yours don't?" Jaemin responded. Jeno passed the pipe and lighter to him and exhaled, the smoke blowing around the porch. 

"My parents are big stoners. Almost as much as me," Jeno explained. Jaemin finished taking his hit and passed it to Jisung. 

The pipe made its way around the circle twice, Donghyuck helping Mark with the lighter. Mark and Chenle were pretty high, but the others were unfazed. 

"That was...not enough," Jeno complained, playing with the strings of his hoodie (that Jaemin was wearing). 

"Bong, bong, bong," Jaemin whispered loudly. Soon, Jisung and Donghyuck joined him. 

"Fine, fine," Jeno responded with a smile, kissing Jaemin on the cheek and pushing him off his lap. "If baby wants the bong, baby's gonna get it."

Jaemin smirked as Jeno went into his room to go get the stuff. 

"What's a bong?" Mark whispered to Donghyuck. 

Donghyuck chuckled at Mark, his lips. "You'll see," he answered in a low tone. 

Jeno emerged from behind the sliding doors just then, carrying a baggie of more weed and a fairly large, oddly shaped glass cylinder. 

"Mark's never had a bong rip," Donghyuck said, outing him. Jeno grinned and down, Jaemin climbing right back onto his lap.

"You're in for a treat then," Jeno answered, taking his first hit with a relaxed exhale. 

Mark watched closely as the others took their hits, passing it around the opposite way from before. Jeno of course did it easily, as he was the stoner of their group, but Jaemin, Jisung, and Donghyuck didn't have trouble either. It looked pretty easily, actually, other than the whole lighter thing (Mark had yet to master flicking a lighter on, to his embarrassment).

Finally, it was his turn, and he took the cylinder in his hand. The water sloshed around so Mark gripped it tighter, running through his mind how he'd seen his other friends do it before.

"Lighter?" Donghyuck offered, knowing Mark's difficulties. Mark nodded and Donghyuck lit the flame. 

Mark put his lips around the rim, tasting Jaemin's cherry chapstick on it. "Take it easy," he said gently, looking Mark in the eyes before lighting the bowl. 

Mark began to inhale, and as soon as he began, he didn't know when to stop. He could already feel the burn in his lungs so he put it down on the table. 

Immediately, he began to cough, violently. His throat had never hurt this bad in his life, not even that time he'd gotten strep throat as a kid; his eyes were tearing up and he didn't even notice Donghyuck's panicked expression, the boy gently rubbing his back. 

He tried to say '' but he couldn't, god damn he burned his throat too bad, and Donghyuck ran to go get him a glass of water. He returned quickly and put it in Mark's hands, Mark downing it as quickly as he could but did it hurt bad. 

Finally, the coughing (sort of) stopped. 

"You okay dude?" Jeno asked. Mark managed to nod, another cough ripping its way through his throat. 

Renjun looked at Mark suspiciously but picked up the bong anyway, taking a hit for himself. Soon enough though, there was a companion to Mark's frantic, uncontrollable coughing. 

Mark tried to talk but it still couldn't come out, he didn't think he'd ever been in this much physical pain before other than that time Chenle's older sister tried to pluck his eyebrows, and Renjun was just coughing up a lung next to him too. He could vaguely hear the other boys talking around him but he couldn't really make out their words. 

The sudden overwhelming urge to vomit took over, was it the pain in his throat or the weed? Mark couldn't really tell but it was urgent so he stood up, pushing his way past his friends and back into Jeno's house. 

He ran to the bathroom, bent over the toilet. The was starting to hit him and he could barely keep himself up at that point, when suddenly--

~~~~~~~~~~

When Mark came to, he was laying down on Jeno's couch with Renjun sitting over him. He saw Renjun breath a sigh of relief. 

"Are you okay?" Renjun asked, his own voice fairly garbled. Mark tried to speak but nothing came out, and Renjun handed him some water. 

Mark sat up, downing the whole glass in one straight go. He made grabby hands, gesturing for more water, and Renjun got up to get him another. 

After about three more glasses Mark was finally able to speak, laying down so his head would stop swimming. 

"I think I passed out," he croaked. 

"I know, we were really worried. I told the others to leave us alone though; I was afraid they would bother you." 

"Thanks," Mark responded. "A-are you okay?"

Renjun nodded. "Yeah, I burnt my throat too but not as bad as you." 

"I-I love you, you know that? I love you so much dude." Mark sat up to try and give Renjun a hug but his head felt weird so he laid back down again. 

"I love you too," Renjun responded, petting Mark's hair affectionately. Just then Chenle peeked in through the doorway, giving the two friends a strange look. 

"Are you alright?" Chenle asked worriedly, ignoring how strange it was that Mark and Renjun were being affectionate (despite them being best friends since they were fourteen). 

"Yeah, I'm alright," Mark responded, his voice going out, so Renjun got up to get him a glass of water. 

Chenle began to talk just then but Mark could not make out a single word that he was saying; it all just seemed like a blur. 

"Yeah," he chuckled in response, trying to not seem too weird. Chenle gave him another confused look and began to talk again, but Mark still had no idea what he was saying. 

"Wha?" Mark asked just as Renjun returned with the water, sitting back down with a sigh. Mark downed it all, entirely forgetting that he was talking to Chenle, so he gave up and went back to the others. 

Renjun laid down next to Mark, staring up at the ceiling. 

"I think I'm....really high," Mark said with a chuckle. 

"Me too," Renjun answered. The two friends looked at each other and giggled. The giggling grew louder and louder, they couldn't stop, it grew into laughter. Somehow whatever this was just seemed like the funniest ing thing in the world, laughing so hard they were wheezing, Renjun falling off the couch. Mark's throat hurt so bad, this laughing was way too much but he just couldn't stop. 

After what seemed like thirty minutes Mark and Renjun managed to get it together, sitting back down and coughing from the pressure they'd put on their burnt throats. 

"Renjun?" Jeno called from the other room. 

"Coming," Renjun responded with a cough, getting up and clutching his head for a moment before walking into the other room. As Mark waited, staring up at the ceiling, the sick feeling began to come back. Nothing made sense, everything was fuzzy and swimmy, and he felt pretty nauseous. Plus, his throat hurt like a , even after all of that water. 

"Jeno wants to know if we can all come in," Renjun said. 

"Yeah, sure," Mark answered. Renjun gave them the okay and the others soon began to come back into the living room, flopping down on the couch. Donghyuck came over slowly but wore a worried expression, looking over him. 

"Are you alright?" Donghyuck asked with genuine concern. 

"Mmh," Mark responded. He was feeling worse than before actually. Donghyuck's eyes widened and he looked, panicked, to Jeno. 

"He's fine," Jeno mouthed to Donghyuck, but Mark didn't notice because he was too far gone at that point. "Don't worry," Jeno mouthed, touching Donghyuck's arm. Donghyuck sat down on the couch but still looked over at Mark. 

"How're ya feelin, dude?" Jeno asked, Jaemin cuddling up to his side as he the TV. 

"Kinda sick," Mark admitted, coughing. "I think I wanna go to bed." 

"Don't do that! You'll miss the best high!" Jisung said, leaning on Jaemin. 

"Come on, let's go to the kitchen," Jeno said, gesturing for Mark to follow. Donghyuck made a move to get up too but Jeno stopped him. "I'll take care of him, I do this all the time," he whispered to Donghyuck. "He needs less stimulation. Stay in here." 

The two of them walked into the kitchen, and Mark took a seat at the kitchen table. Jeno went to go get him some water. 

"How's your throat?" Jeno asked. Mark just made a face and Jeno tossed him a cough drop, Mark missing it by a lot. With his head swimming he bent down to pick it up, grimacing all the way. 

Jeno sat across from him, passing him the glass of water. 

"I'm sorry," Mark croaked out. "I feel like I'm a bother." 

"Nah, don't worry about it." 

"Are you sure?" 

Jeno nodded. "Yeah. You just took too big of a hit. Inhaled too quickly; I guess your throat isn't used to it. You'll be alright; I've seen much worse." 

"Thanks, dude," Mark answered, giving Jeno a smile. "Could I have another zinc?" He asked. 

"A what?" Jeno responded. 

"Zinc." 

"A...a cough drop?" 

"Yeah, a zinc," Mark spoke. Jeno held back his laughter and got Mark another cough drop. Mark seemed satisfied, putting the cough drop in his mouth, so he didn't press. 

Jeno began to talk a little but Mark couldn't really register what he was saying, nodding along every so often. 

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, right?" Jeno asked. 

"Yeah, of course dude," Mark responded. Jeno held back more laughter, just as Renjun walked in. 

"How are you Markie?" He cooed, giving Mark a big hug and leaning over his shoulder. Mark giggled, turning into that never ending throat burning laughter once again. "I love you best friend!" 

"Go away," Jeno responded at Renjun's strange affection. 

"I just wanna help!" Renjun whined in a high pitched voice. "Let me help!" 

"Renjun...can you go?" 

"Fine...but you're mean," he whined, clutching the doorway and almost falling over. "Big meanie! Jeno's mean!" He yelled. 

"Dude, he's so high. Way more high than me," Mark responded with a chuckle. "Could I have another zinc?" 

Jeno had to cover his mouth to stop himself from laughing but dutifully got Mark another cough drop anyways. 

"Feeling better?" 

"A bit," Mark answered, but it was mostly because he was distracted from how he felt. He was really nauseous, even still, and his throat hurt a lot (although the cough drops helped). 

Just then, Donghyuck poked his head in the doorway. 

"No, we don't need help," Jeno said. Donghyuck pouted. 

"Donghyuck can stay!" Mark cried, seeing his sad expression. Donghyuck giggled and wrapped his arms around Mark's shoulders, kissing the top of his head. If Mark had been any less high he would've been freaking out, but for now he just giggled. He barely even noticed Donghyuck's hands all over him. 

Jeno began talking and again, Mark had no idea what he was saying, but suddenly he felt nauseous again. Like...emergency nauseous. He pushed Donghyuck away from him without a second thought, his legs like jelly as he tried to stand, and he haphazardly gripped the sides of Jeno's kitchen sink. Suddenly he began to vomit, his head swimming and pounding as his vision blurred in front of him. 

Donghyuck watched this go down with wide eyes as Mark emptied his stomach, staring in shock when he was done. 

"Could you take him into the living room? I need to clean this up," Jeno said unfazed, while Donghyuck went to go grab Mark. He began to wipe the vomit off his mouth on his sleeves and Donghyuck grabbed some paper towels, wiping his mouth for him. 

"Oh my god I'm so sorry," Mark said, still sort of in a state of shock, to Jeno. 

"It's fine. Wouldn't be the first time I've cleaned barf," Jeno responded as Donghyuck led him into the other room. The time to process the fact that he'd just thrown up in front of his crush would be later. Now, he just sat down on the edge of the couch and thought. Well, not really thought, nothing coherent was happening in his brain then. Just sort of...looked, at the weird swirling colors of the TV and Jeno's living room. 

When he came back to reality, he noticed Chenle and Jisung trying to play video games, Renjun tucked under a blanket with just his eyes poking out, and Donghyuck sitting to his right. 

"Do you want a cough drop?" Donghyuck asked softly, handing Mark one. 

"Zinc!" Mark cried gratefully, taking it from Donghyuck's hands and popping it in his mouth, his vomiting entirely forgotten for the moment.

Suddenly, what felt like an ice cube caressed Mark's ankle. Mark cried out, way too dramatically, and looked over at Renjun.

"I'm c-cold," Renjun said simply, despite the fact that he was underneath about five blankets. Mark simply looked at him, not knowing how to respond.

"I'm tunneling...into a tunnel...of my own tunnel..." Renjun spoke, staring wide eyed at absolutely nothing. Mark still didn't know how to respond again so he just leaned against Donghyuck's shoulder, his breath probably still smelling like throw up (but Donghyuck didn't push him away).  

Jeno came back in just then, holding a box of cinnamon toast crunch. Without a word Jisung grabbed it out of his hands immediately, he and Chenle devouring the entire box in what felt like seconds flat. Jaemin pulled Jeno onto the couch and climbed all over him as Jeno looked at his phone. 

"You smell good again," Mark spoke, blatantly sniffing Donghyuck's clothes with the scent of his girly perfume. 

"I'm glad you think so," Donghyuck answered wistfully, but Mark didn't actually hear him. 

"Are you feeling better?" Jeno asked Mark, and Renjun hid under the blanket. 

"Yeah, I feel much better after I threw up...oh my god I forgot I threw up," Mark said while laughing. 

"I will never forget cleaning it up," Jeno mumbled under his breath, but only Jaemin heard him. 

"Anything we can do to make you feel better?" Jisung asked. 

"Can we watch spongebob?" Mark asked quietly. 

"Sure," Jeno answered, turning the TV to nickelodeon. 

Mark honestly had no idea what was happening in the episode; he couldn't understand nearly any of the words the characters were saying. But the animation had never looked so amazing. In the intro, when spongebob's eyes popped out, both he and Renjun jumped in their seats, and all in all it was just super ing trippy. 

Mark was far from sober by the end of the episode but he definitely felt much better, like he could probably interact with an adult without too much of a problem. 

"My parents are coming home soon, and I'm afraid you all gotta get out of here," Jeno said once it was over. 

"It's alright," Chenle responded, tugging Renjun and Mark into the hallways to put their shoes on. 

"What's going on?" Mark asked worriedly. 

"You two are coming to my house. I'm not letting your strict parents see you this high," Chenle responded. 

"How are you sane?" Renjun asked as he struggled to tie his shoelaces. 

"I didn't take a hit off the bong. I got freaked out when you guys both started coughing up a lung." 

"Bye!" Renjun said cheerfully as Chenle dragged his two friends out of Jeno's house, very unused to being the responsible one of the bunch.

As soon as the door was shut, Mark's face fell. 

"I threw up in front of Donghyuck," he spoke in the gravest voice. 

"Oh ," Renjun responded worriedly. 

"Come on guys, the uber's here," Chenle responded, leading them to it. Mark would have to deal with these consequences later.