Chapter 6 - Knight Guardian

Lady of the Breathnach Manor









 

Eithne’s eyes flew open, her senses on sudden high alert. She sat up in bed slowly, taking in her surroundings. There it was. A rustling outside of her window, scratching? A cat maybe? Some animal that knew about the sliding windows and wanted in. Her eyes widened as the scratching sound was followed by the unmistakable reverberation of tapping. 

 

Hesitantly, she swung first one then the other of her legs out of the bed, sliding slowly, carefully, quietly out of the bed, standing still on the floor as she righted her nightgown and contemplated her next move. The tapping had now become light knocking, and wondering if somehow one of the boys had been locked out and was trying to find a way in, she crept carefully to the window, using her fingers to slowly separate the curtains to peer out.

 

At the level where she peered out was a yellow eye, staring right back into hers as if it knew she was there, had been waiting for her to reveal herself, and overcome by sudden gut wrenching dread she heard the voice of a girl screaming in terror before realizing that she was the one screaming.

 

The next moment a man stood between her and the window, one arm holding her firmly behind himself, the other held before himself in a defensive ready striking position, blue flames leaping and swirling around his open palmed hand as his body shielded her from whatever had been outside her windows. Seemingly seeing nothing, he turned towards her. 

 

He was dressed completely in black, a masquerade mask covering the upper portion of his face, revealing only his flashing silver blue eyes as his long wavy locks cascaded down the sides of his face and neck. There was something distinctly familiar about him, but in the darkness of the room lit only by the blue flames emanating from his hand and her shaken, half awake state Eithne didn't think to wonder about his identity, all she knew was he was protecting her and she was safe.

 

“Boss, someone was here.” the grim sounding voice of who she recognized to be Jackson said as he materialized from thin air next to the bed walking towards them, wiping the blade of a long thin sword with his gloved hand before sheathing it in a scabbard hidden under his long flowing cape. He also was dressed in all black, his eyes covered in a masque. But he also had a cape. Of course he had to have something dramatic like a cape.

 

Eithne turned back to the man standing protectively next to her, and looked at him more closely. He did resemble the person who Jackson usually called boss, and yet he didn't. And then he opened his mouth and spoke, and there was no question in her mind as to his identity.

 

“Are you hurt my lady?” his deep voice asked, concern evident in his tone.

 

Jackson switched the bedside lamp on as the rest of the boys took shape, walking towards Eithne in a group, brandishing various weapons and all wearing their own style of all black suits with masks over their eyes.

 

“A new infiltration spell was used, Youngjae plugged it up. We won't have any trouble here tonight.” Bambam said, twirling his double bladed daggers in both hands.

 

“Our fault boss, we knew they were bound to get suspicious and didn't ramp up our protective cover.” Jackson said grimly as the group gathered in a circle around Eithne

 

“The fatality of complacency.” Youngjae said simply.

 

There was a moment’s pause, then JB, with a sigh, said, “Right, well. Ears out, eyes on the alert. We’re up against a more sophisticated enemy and it’s vital we find out as much as possible so we aren't caught off guard like this again.” 

 

The boys gave curt nods all around, brandished their specific weapons, and vanished. JB turned his gaze to Eithne once more. “You haven't answered me yet my lady. Are you unhurt?” he asked softly.

 

“I am unhurt.” She affirmed in a quiet voice. He made a motion with his hand towards the night lamp and it switched off, plunging the room once more into darkness.

 

“Sleep, my lady.” JB said quietly. “I will be here, protecting you.”

 

Confused, her head filled with more questions than she could answer, Eithne obeyed the directive given her. The moment her head laid against the pillow JB walked over to her, touched her forehead with his hand, and she passed into deep, peaceful sleep instantly.

 

Jackson materialized next to JB once more, arms folded. “We’re canceling that trip into the village tomorrow right boss.”

 

JB shook his head. “No. I made her a promise. Spread out, keep an eye on everything and everyone, I’ll keep her at my side.”

 

Jackson gave a curt nod of understanding and acknowledgement, vanishing once more.






 

 

 



 

“Pretty sure I’ve seen this somewhere.”

 

Jackson twisted his lower lip upwards, then chewed on it with furrowed brows. “C’mon bro, tell me where I’ve seen this before.”

 

Mark and Bambam turned their heads to look down the street, which was closed off to regular traffic and crowded with stalls for the weekend market, carrying everything from homegrown vegetables to old antiques, to curiosities and collectables. At the book stall stood Eithne, in a knee length baby blue tea dress, her long hair hanging loosely down her back, her arms hugging an assortment of books to her chest while JB, standing next to her, gave fierce looks of defiant challenge to every male who so much as dared to look at her with open interest. 

 

“A Beauty, in a blue dress, holding books.” observed Bambam, his tone contemplative.

 

“A Beast at her side, scowling at the world.” Mark mused, his chin with his thumb and forefinger in overexaggerated thoughtfulness. The three were quiet for a moment, then Mark, dropping his hand, feigning sudden disinterest and adopting a nonchalant tone of voice, added. “Nope, don't think I’ve seen this before, Bambam?”

 

“Nah, you’re imagining things,” Bambam said with a shake of his head, agreeing with Mark as he cocked his head to the side with a good-luck-who-cares expression.

 

Jackson rubbed the back of his head in frustration, ruffling up his own hair. “Guys I swear, I’ve seen this somewhere, it’s driving me nuts.”

 

Mark and Bambam exchanged glances, laughed, high fived, and then abandoned Jackson to go look at a stall selling an assortment of cheeses. Rolling his eyes and muttering something about useless friends, Jackson meandered in the direction of the book stall, curious to see what Eithne had chosen to buy. 

 

“How ya liking market day?” Jackson asked, strolling up and giving Eithne a gentle shoulder to shoulder bump. A soft warning growl came from JB’s direction,but the two ignored him, Eithne returning Jackson’s bump more forcibly, knocking him off balance and forcing him to take several side steps so as not to fall. She laughed and stuck her tongue out in response to Jackson’s look of betrayal. 

 

“Fair play to you.” Jackson nodded in acknowledgement, swaggering back to peek over her shoulder in an attempt to see the books. “History? Boring. Genealogy? Wow. Double portion so boring. Why can't you read romance novels like a normal girl, you know, where she meets Prince Charming, but doesn't discover that it’s him until chapter three? OH!” his eyes widening as he suddenly realized something. Spinning on his heel he dashed off at breakneck speed, yelling for Mark and Bambam as he charged back in the direction from whence he’d just come moments earlier.

 

Eithne chuckled, looked at JB with a bemused expression and shrugged in bewilderment, wondering what could have triggered the sudden vanishing act. Ignoring the entire situation completely, JB took the books from Eithne and gave them to the seller to be wrapped, and while he was waiting for the books, she wandered onward until she came to a stall labeled ‘Magic Potions’, where she found an assortment of teas and herbs laid out for sale. 

 

Remembering the dreadful teas she’d been served at the manor she paused to examine the selection of fruit teas. 

 

“Ah, what a beautiful maiden we have visiting today. What ails you mistress, what magic potions are you in need of?” the stall owner said smoothly, his smile full of insincerity. But Eithne didn't blame him, he was probably tired after a morning of sitting around waiting for buyers. 

 

Smiling back she replied, “I’m interested in your fruit teas, maybe one sweet and one sour? Please advise.”

 

Coming around to stand next to her the man took a box of apple tea and mixed berry tea, holding it towards her as he examined her features closely. “These will cover your requests miss. By the way, I don't recall seeing you before and we rarely have tourists here. What brings you to our little corner of the world?”

 

Eithne brought first one box then the other up to her nose to give it a sniff as she answered, “I’m a descendant of the Breathnach’s, I’m staying at the manor and doing family research.” Turning the boxes over to read the tea ingredients, Eithne missed seeing the seller’s eyes narrowing as they flashed yellow, a smirk crossing his lips. The very next moment someone had suddenly snatched the teas from her hands, chucked them into the stall, used a hand on either side of her shoulders to forcibly move her to the side, and turning in surprise she saw Jackson had between herself and the seller.

 

Jackson gave the sweetest, fakest smile as he addressed the seller in the most biting of tones, “Hello, spawn of satan. What evils have you planned to carry out today?”

 

At the same moment JB arrived, pulling Eithne so that she stood shielded behind him, he now shoulder to shoulder with Jackson. The seller raised his hands in show of nonaggression, retreating to behind the stall set-up to retrieve the thrown teas and place them back on the table.

 

“I am only selling teas. Surely you can't have anything against that.” he said, his tone suave, his fake smile plastered to his features.

 

“Take her home Jackson, we’re done here.” JB commanded, his fierce burning eyes never leaving that of the tea seller, his hands reaching behind to take Eithne’s arm and pull her in Jackson’s direction.

 

“Boss.” Jackson acknowledged, his voice stern as he gave the seller one last long glare before wrapping a protective arm around Eithne’s shoulder’s and hurrying her off. Glancing back, Eithne saw the tense, confrontational stance that JB had assumed, and heard his low, threatening tone of voice, though she couldn't exactly make out what was being said. 

 

As if sensing something, Jinyoung, Mark, Bambam, Yugyeom, and Youngjae suddenly appeared running from every direction, falling into a protective formation around Eithne as they hurried her away from the market and towards the manor. Once they were out of sight of the villagers, Eithne noticed the boys exchange glances, their faces serious as they nodded in silence to whatever agreement they were making with their eyes. In unison they clasped wrists, Jackson holding one of Eithne’s hands, Bambam the other, there was a flash, and an astonished Eithne found herself in the living room of the manor, but before she could say anything to express her shock, JB materialized directly in front of her, expression grim, his eyes searching her for any signs of harm.

 

“She’s fine boss, we got her out of there before the demon had time to do anything.” Jackson said, his grim voice matching that of his leader’s expression.

 

“Welp, cat’s out of the bag now.” Mark said matter-of-factly, pursing his lips and shrugging. “By nightfall everyone’s gonna know.”

 

“Things bout to get reeeeal exciting yall.” Bambam singsonged, pulling his two ancient double bladed daggers from seemingly thin air, flipping and twirling them around in the palms of his hands. “Reeal exciting.”

 

“What happened.” Eithne asked, her face full of confusion, her voice low and trembling slightly, though she had put on the bravest face she could have managed, given the circumstancses.

 

“Eurion is a lesser demon that resides in the village to keep an eye on us and report back to his masters. Most likely he was the one snooping around your room last night.” Mark said, his lips pursing.

 

 “Perhaps it would be wiser to move her to a room in the center of the manor, second story. The one next to yours Jaebum.” Jinyoung said, receiving noises of approval from the other lads.

 

JB nodded in agreement, signaling with his hand for them to go and carry out the suggestion immediately, and they dispersed instantly.

 

“My lady, it is time you begin your training. But I sense that you have many questions.” JB said quietly, leading her to the recliner, seating her, then kneeling down on a knee before her.

 

“You told me the story of my ancestors. Now tell me about you, the others, this lesser demon reporting to his masters, who they are, who you are, what you do, and where I fit into this.” Eithne said, her voice calm, yet firm.

 

JB nodded, pursed his lips, and gave a low sigh.