Chapter 12 - Of Royal Balls and Enemies Met

Lady of the Breathnach Manor

 





 

Eithne gazed at herself in the mirror, trying to recognize the person she saw looking back at herself. She looked almost too elegant and graceful to be herself, too royal. The door opened and JB quietly entered, dressed as a royal guard, a ceremonial sword at his side. In his gloved hands he held a very elaborately decorated box, which he set on the dressing table before her, then opened gently to carefully take out a circlet crown with so many diamonds that Eithne caught her breath. With delicate hands and precision focus, JB carefully wove the crown into her up-do, took a step back to study her, then reaching once more into the box pulled out a similarly designed string of diamond and pearl necklace, which he placed around her neck and fastened gently.

 

“You wear the legacy crown with the same grace as your queen ancestors did in days long since past.” he said quietly, his hand lingering with affection against her exposed skin, fingers slowly tracing down her bare shoulders to where her off shoulder dress began. Leaning down he placed a slow, lingering, sensual kiss on her neck and then shoulder, then looking up to make eye contact with her in the mirror said, his lips curving upwards into a gentle teasing smile, “I do not wish to ruin your makeup my lady, so this will have to suffice for now. Should you wish it, I shall grant you more following the ball.”

 

Eithne gave a soft hum, her eyes closing as she leaned her head back against him, his hands once more caressing her exposed skin, his eyes appreciating his downward view of the cleavage revealed by her dress. Opening her eyes and seeing the direction of his gaze she smiled and slipped her hand over his to interlock her fingers with his.

 

“How does my lord like the view?” She asked, a teasing lilt to her voice.

 

“Ah my lady, it is one that the greatest of artists in ancient times could have only dreamt of imitating, one that lights a fire in me and drives me towards that which cannot be done at this moment.” JB replied, his eyes turning to hers with a look that was at once sensual and mischievous, his other hand slipping down her coller to rest dangerously close to her bosom.

 

“Also to be granted me if I so wish after the ball?” she replied, returning tease for tease as his eyes took on a predatorial look.

 

“My lady,” he whispered, sultry voice deep and husky as he made intense laser focused eye contact through the mirror. “You need only ask and I shall fulfill it.”

 

A knock sounded at the door and Jaebum took several steps back, his face immediately taking on a stoic expression as the door opened and Himchan entered.

 

“Ah, marital bliss, can’t even look her in the eye can you.” Himchan said, hitting Jaebum on the shoulder with a mischievous twinkle in his eye as he passed. “My lady everyone is waiting, are you ready?”

 

Eithne nodded and stood, adjusting her long red skirt and long white gloves, then with a smile took Himchan’s arm and was escorted out, Jaebum following several paces behind, hand resting on a ceremonial sword that designated him as the lady’s personal security, flashing cold eyes doing their best to deter and strike fear into any and all with ill intent.

 

The two great wooden doors into Himchan’s great hall were closed, on one side stood Yugyeom, the other Jinyoung. They gave a brief nod as the three arrived.

 

“Inside is secured, the others are mingling and keeping their eyes open.” Jinyoung said quietly. “Bambam and Jackson are covering the other door, Yugyeom and I have these two, no open threats, though Jaebum. Your father and his entourage are here. Youngjae is keeping a shadow on them. Just, beware.”

 

Himchan nodded and motioned for the doors to be opened, and with a pull Jinyoung and Yugyeom pulled the doors open and Yongguk announced for all the gathered merry makers, “The Lord Duke Himchan and her Ladyship of Breathnach, Miss Eithne Breathnach!”

 

Polite applause followed as the guests all turned to look at Himchan escorting Eithne, both out of curiosity over him being her and over seeing the lady of whom much gossip had been swirling. Himchan waved his hand in acknowledgement, then added,

 

“I welcome all my guests here today, as we introduce Lady Eithne into society as the rightful heir of Breathnach, but I must correct my dear friend here and disappoint all my lords who hoped for a chance at winning her hand, as I have had the advantage of meeting with my lady first, and it has been but a few days since a marriage contract was drawn up here at my duchy, witnessed to by my dear friend and minister to the council, Kai. My Lady Eithne has entered into a marriage contract, forging her commitment to our kingdoms, and it is my greatest privilege and honor that she has chosen me to be her in life. Now let us celebrate, for not only has the empty throne at Breathnach been filled after 499 years, but let us also drink to there being more heirs to the legacy of the Kings and Queens for thousands of years to come!”

 

There was a low hum of surprise amongst the guests as they clapped and turned back to their food and gossip. Himchan signaled the live orchestra to strike up and swept Eithne off into a fast waltz across the dance floor. For a good ten minutes they danced and spun alone on the floor as the rest looked on, then gradually more couples joined in until the floor was full of couples dancing together. At last the orchestra struck up a slower, easier to follow song, and Himchan at last broke the silence.

 

“How did you think my lady.” Himchan asked in a low voice, a self satisfied grin on his face as he whirled her about on the dance floor.

 

“Your way of announcing that I was married in such a way as to make it seem I were wed to you was so deviously done that I doubt anyone noticed that you didn't actually say you were my husband.” Eithne smiled. “I think many young ladies have been thrown into consternation, I saw many an envious eye looking at me as you spoke.”

 

“Oh but perhaps that is not on my account my lady, it may be they were actually envious of you and your stunning presentation.” Himchan replied, grinning back. “Just remember if anyone asks about your marriage to me, you are to blush and get shy, let them make their own answers, come to their own conclusions.”

 

Eithne nodded, and Himchan pulled her closer to whisper in her ear, “Poor Jaebum, I’m certain he wishes he were dancing with you in place of me now.”

 

Eithne smiled, blushed, and shook her head. “No, I think he prefers to be on the sidelines, where he can see everyone else and watch out for threats.”

 

“Ah, well observed and well understood.” Himchan nodded approvingly. “You know your husband well. And now I see that you begin to weary, shall we retire this floor and take a glass of punch for our labors?”

 

Eithne nodded with a smile, and moving her hand to his arm, allowed herself to be escorted through the tangle of dancing couples to the table where drinks were being served. In the corner of her eye she could see Jaebum not five feet to the side of her, back against the wall, alert eyes scanning the people around her, looking far too handsome to be ignored, but she dared not acknowledge him, lest someone catch the look of tender affection and admiration that involuntarily came to her eyes when looking at him.

 

Jaebum was under no such need to avoid looking at his lady, as he was obviously the leader of her guards and therefore in charge of keeping his eyes on her and her surroundings, and unlike her, he was easily able to disguise the feelings of his heart with a cold and threatening exterior. He observed a group of ladies approach Himchan and Eithne, and after introductions all around interlocked arms with her and began to walk off with her in a group. Eyes focused on her, he moved forward through the crowd, only to suddenly feel a hand on his chest, stopping him as he crashed into them. Startled, he turned to look away, catching an equally startled looking lady as she tripped back from the unexpected run in.

 

“I’m sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going, but what a god the fates have brought me. How like destiny to bring me to a collision with you.” the girl cooed, laying fawning hands on either of his arms and giving him the biggest, sweetest, most innocent of doe eyes he’d ever seen a girl assume for the purpose of flirtation. “How say you to a turn on the dance floor?”

 

Straightening her upright, taking a step back with a slight bow, he replied in his deep voice, “My apologies madam, the fault was all mine in not looking to where I was going. I am currently on guard duty but should fate be on your side then we shall certainly have a dance together before long. Pardon me but I must stay with my ward.” and he left her, nearly swooning as she rushed off to tell all to her girl friends.

 

She had disappeared. He didn't see her anywhere in the room, and panic set in as his pace quickened, his eyes scanning the room fruitlessly.












 

Eithne stood alone in the orangery, looking up at the great Sicilian orange tree, tugging nervously at her necklace, a growing sense of danger churning in her stomach. That group of girls had insisted she show them the castle’s orangery, and somehow along the way most of them had decided to go to the restroom and broken away, assuring her and one other girl that they would soon catch up.

 

The last girl insisted on continuing into the gardens, holding onto Eithne’s arm and hurrying her forward eagerly until they had entered and begun walking through, but as soon as they had reached the orange tree she decided that the other girls must have gotten lost and once more insisted that Eithne wait by the tree so as to be found quickly, while she retraced their steps and to find and bring the other girls.

 

As soon as the girl had run off Eithne glanced around and realized that somehow the group of girls had not only managed to separate her from Himchan and the other guests, but also had orchestrated it in such a fashion as to have lost Jaebum as well, and left her without any aid should she need it. It is nothing, she assured herself. I have magic too after all, none can hurt me if I can somehow use it.

 

She heard the sounds of swishing robes, and turning, came face to face with a group of men, all dressed in long elegant garments, one being to the forefront slightly in such a way as to display his leadership over the rest who followed after. The man leading smiled, but his eyes were cold and cruel, and though he feigned surprise it almost seemed as if he had expected to find her there.

 

“Ah, what an unexpected surprise, meeting you here. May I congratulate you on your fortuitous nuptials with the Duke of this castle.” he said, stopping just before her. “It was a well thought out strategy, expertly timed.”

 

“I was assured that I would find none better.” Eithne replied with as much dignity as she could muster. “We have grown fond of each other since my arrival at the castle, recent events hurried the process somewhat, though I’m sure, given more time, matters would have ended with the same results.”

 

“Ah. Fortuitous, very fortuitous indeed.” the man said, his faux smile widening as his eyes searched her features. “I do not blame him, for with a castle full of men, the arrival of a beauty such as yourself would easily have turned a heart of stone into one of a lovesick lad. I see you love him not yet, though he is stricken with you. Marriage contract out of necessity to strengthen your claims, is it not?”

 

“That is a very assumptious assertion, coming from the mouth of one who owes allegiance to the house of Breathnach.” a very cold male voice said, as a steel point of a blade pressing against the skin of the neck of the man before her, forcing the group of councilors to take several steps back as the man with the weapon continued to bear down upon them threateningly. 

 

“Ah Jaebum, you have found us. Lay off with your sword, we were merely speaking.” the man replied, his faux smile unchanging, as if it had been plastered in place, grimacing slightly and taking another step back as the sword tip pressed uncomfortably against his throat.

 

“It is well known the threat that the Northern Clans have expressed in the past, there is to be no more such speaking unless it is through a public declaration of peace and allegiance, followed with a show of goodwill.” Jaebum replied sternly, taking another step forward and forcing them to take yet another step back.

 

“You are blind my son. Protecting and giving to another that which is rightfully yours.” the man said, his smile disappearing to give way to a look that was just as cold and hard. 

 

“Ah but I am not one to murder and steal from others to claim for myself what does not belong to me.” Jaebum replied, a mocking smile turning up the corners of his lips. “For even what influence you have now is not yours by right, but merely taken from those you have killed, those whom you claimed as family and friend.”

 

“How dare you.” the man replied, eyes flashing in anger. “How dare you insinuate that I would have your mother and the grand master of the council before me killed, on what basis do you level such an accusation.”

 

“Ah, perhaps it was let slip accidentally, in the midst of being tortured.” Jaebum replied, his tone biting, as he cocked his head to the side in a mocking pose of thoughtfulness as if he were trying to recall the exact details. “I suppose the council is well informed of how you sentenced your own son to be scourged and tortured for the sake of you gaining power over Breathnach?”

 

“Come, we need not listen to anymore of these wild accusations.” the council master said abruptly, turning on his heel to leave, his pride hurt but not diminished as he sashayed out of the orangery with s close on his heels.

 

“My lady, you are unhurt.” Jaebum quiered in a low tone, not yet turning to look at her as he watched the retreating figures intensely.

 

“I am unhurt.” Eithne confirmed quietly.

 

“Then let us return at once to the dinner room, and dont allow anyone to take you away from Himchan.” Jaebum instructed quietly. “Lead the way, I shall follow behind.”