DAY 9 | 9/20 KISSES

A Deal of 20

After the emotional day yesterday, the two girls were grateful that both of them don’t have any classes and shifts for the following day. Minju was grateful since she does not think that she could handle socializing to other people for the time being. Hyewon on the other hand is grateful that she could accompany the younger girl for the whole.

Knowing how difficult it is to move on despite it being a flimsy crush, Hyewon thinks Minju’s feelings for Yujin goes much deeper than that. With this free day, the older girl decided to help her roommate not to overthink too much.

She woke up feeling sore because of sleeping on the couch with Minju on top of her. Groaning, she opened her eyes only to stare back at brown orbs.

“Oh , sorry. Did I wake you up?” Hyewon asked the younger girl who only shook her head.

“No, I’ve been awake for a couple of minutes now.”

Hyewon nodded, feeling that the older girl is uncomfortable, Minju stood up from her position and muttered an apology.

“No, it’s alright. Don’t worry, a little stretch would do.” Hyewon answered while stretching her limbs. Oh God, that feels good.

Seeing that Minju is just standing there, Hyewon smiled and nudged her roommate using her leg to get her attention.

“Hey, wash up. I’ll prepare breakfast.” Hyewon said as stood up and pushed the other girl to the bathroom. Minju complied with no protest and Hyewon proceeded to the kitchen. Looking for anything to cook, Hyewon decided to whip up some simple bacon, eggs, and pancakes. I hope Minju is alright.

Heating up the pan, Hyewon started cooking. Few minutes into cooking, the older girl felt someone hugging her. She tried to see who it was only to see Minju peeking from her right shoulder, already washed up. Swollen eyes not much noticeable as earlier, Hyewon smiled at the younger girl.

“Wait a few minutes, it’ll be done soon.”

“Thank you.” Minju replied, still hugging Hyewon from the back.

Chuckling, Hyewon looked at the pancake she’s cooking. “Cooking pancakes are not that hard.” Minju shook her head and muttered.

“I’m not talking about the breakfast, you weirdo.” Then buried her head on the older girl’s shoulder.

Understanding what the younger girl is implying, Hyewon let out a soft laugh. Turning off the stove, she turned around to properly look at her roommate.

“I told you, I’d do anything for you.” Hyewon smiled and ruffled the younger girl’s hair. “Now go take a seat, and I’ll just wash up. You can go eat already. You must be hungry.”

Hyewon ushered Minju to take a seat and prepared the utensils needed, she then proceeded to go to the bathroom to wash up. Minju smiled at the retreating figure of her roommate, looking at the simple breakfast in front of. She wanted to wait for Hyewon when she heard the latter shouting.

“Don’t wait up! Eat up Minju-ah!” This caused her to smile. Feeling incredibly grateful for her roommate.

It was already 1 in the afternoon when they found themselves lounging at the couch in the living room. Hyewon playing with her phone and as usual, Minju watching her sappy drama. Feeling bored, Minju looked at the older girl who was busy with her phone.

“Can we do anything for the day?” Minju asked. “I’m getting bored.”

Hyewon looked at the other girl and scoffed, still focusing on her game.

“Isn’t my presence enough?” She joked, earning her a smack from the younger girl. Hyewon laugh hearing a groan from Minju and left the game to sit up.

“You’re bored of your drama?” Hyewon asked curiously.

“It’s a replay, I already know what would happen.” Hyewon smirked then hugged the younger girl, surprising the latter.

“Thank you! We can properly use our television from now on!” Hyewon exclaimed and climbed off from the younger setting up her gaming console. Curiously, Minju peeked to see what Hyewon was doing only to see a CD being inserted in the console.

“What’s that?”

“Uncultured swine.” Hyewon scoffed. Minju threw a pillow at the older girl who only laughed at the reaction.

“This is what you call a Gaming Console.” Hyewon explained. “And we’re going to play Mario Kart.”

Hyewon gave Minju another controller for her to use. She then explained to the younger girl the mechanics of the game.

“Minju this is child’s play so you’ll get the hang of it easily okay?” Hyewon then started explaining, seeing that Minju is listening carefully.

“So, who’s your character?” Hyewon asked.

“Princess Peach.” Minju nodded as she selected her own character. Hyewon rolled her eyes. “Typical.”

“I’ll be Yoshi.” Hyewon smirked at the younger girl. “Have fun losing, Princess.” Hyewon teased and started to put her game face on.

“Tell that yourself.” Minju laughed and seriously looked at the television showing their characters.

“What the ?”

“Come again?”

“What the ?”

Hyewon stared at the screen, not believing what just happened. She lost 10 consecutive games with Minju. Ten. How could that happen? She turned her head to see the younger girl smirking at her.

“Is it fun?” Minju teased the girl beside her.

“That’s unfair! You cheated!” Hyewon accused Minju and started spitting some absurd things justifying that the other really cheated. Minju can only laugh at the older girl’s face and shake her head.

“I did not. You’re just a sore loser.” Minju said. “Another game?”

“I don’t want to play with a cheater.” Mario Kart her childhood game, Hyewon can’t believe that she lost 10 consecutive games. To Minju nonetheless. The slowest of all when it comes to games. How the ?

“Stop sulking, let’s play another game.”

Hyewon not buying Minju’s act, started to attack the latter. She tackled the younger girl trying to get her controller. It must have been the controller! She shouldn’t win over me!

But to no avail, Minju was just too strong and taller than her. Putting her left arm up out of the older girl’s reach while her right arm tries to stop her roommate’s advancements. Hyewon was determined to get the controlled from her but suddenly fell on top of the younger girl.

Surprised, Minju looked up to the groaning girl on top of her. Hyewon looked up to see Minju looking at her worriedly. Seeing her eyes up close, she could not help but be lost in them. She could see how worried her roommate was, but at the same time, she could see hints of pain from yesterday.

As if hypnotized, Hyewon started leaning closer until she was a breath away from Minju. Still staring at each other, Hyewon slowly closed her eyes and tilted her head to the side. Minju followed suit, and they kissed. It was different from yesterday; this kiss was not harsh nor bitter. This kiss is very much different, with Hyewon’s pent up emotions, she could not help but be carried away.

Kissing Hyewon, Minju never thought that kissing the latter would feel normal. Like it is the right thing to do. She could feel how Hyewon is being carried away. Because of what? She would never know. Without her knowing she started to wrap her arms around Hyewon’s neck, which caused the latter to smile against their kiss.

Hyewon felt Minju’s arms around her, and also the controller she was trying to get earlier. Gaining control, she suddenly grabbed the younger girl’s controller and pulled away from the kiss. she immediately stood up and checked both of their controllers.

Minju was surprised with the sudden pull and saw that her roommate already got her controller. Minju groaned and rolled her eyes.

“I’m not cheating, you sore loser!” Minju protested, pouting. Hyewon laughed at the younger girl and gave her controller back.

“I know, I just wanted to kiss you.” Hyewon smiled softly as she sat down beside the younger girl. She then proceeded to start another game when she looked at Minju who was still staring at her.

“What?” Hyewon asked, grinning. Minju just shook her head and looked at the screen in front of them.

“Nothing, just thinking how I would beat you again.” She muttered. Thinking how to stop this deal, because I know I would just hurt you.

“Pfft, don’t worry Minju-ah. You’ll be the one losing now.” Hyewon smirked and the game started. They played Mario Kart until one of them surrenders. Let me tell you, it was a hard battle since both of them are pretty competitive.

It was already past 4 when they got bored of playing Mario Kart. Hyewon decided to go out to buy some take out for the both of them. Minju insisted to go with her but the older one convinced her to just stay at home and clean their living room.

Seeing that Hyewon has a point, Minju listened and waited for the older girl to arrive. As she was waiting, she thought of many things. How Yujin already has a girlfriend, and how she was about to confessed to the younger girl. She knows that it is unhealthy to overthink since she can’t help but to feel heartbroken.

But what she thought of the most is the deal between her and Hyewon. She knows that she would most likely hurt the older girl, and she wants to stop it as soon as possible. After experiencing heartbreak, she’s worried that Hyewon would feel what she’s currently feeling right now. I can’t imagine the pain she’s been through because of me.

Feeling guilty, Minju decided to put a stop on their deal. Not knowing the time, Minju heard the door opening. Looking at the clock, she realized that it’s been 45 minutes. 45 minutes of overthinking is tiring.

Sighing, she stood up only to be greeted by a grinning Hyewon. Showing 2 boxes of pizza, Hyewon walked to their table to put the foods down. Minju looked at the older girl who was obviously excited to eat their dinner.

“Hungry?” The younger girl asked.

“You don’t say? I’ve lined up for this!” Hyewon exclaimed and opened the two boxes. Minju smiled and sat down on the floor, joining the older girl. “So, I got us Pepperoni, and Triple Cheese since it’s your favorite!”

Minju smiled at what she heard, and looked at Hyewon who was already digging in. Feeling someone staring at her, Hyewon looked at Minju. The former chewed the food inside then asked.

“What? Not gonna eat? Appreciate my efforts, woman!” Hyewon pouted, pushing the box of Triple Cheese to Minju’s direction. The latter only chuckled and nodded.

“Alright, alright. I’m going to eat now.” She went to get a slice, seeing that the younger girl was eating, Hyewon started to devour her own pizza. Minju can’t help but to let her mind wander on the things she’s thinking about earlier.

Looking at the eating girl beside her, Minju stared at her roommate who was happily eating. She then thought of how she took care of her when she was crying yesterday, how supportive she was. She realized that even though Hyewon likes her, the latter still encouraged her to approach Yujin. She never showed any distaste when seeing the younger girl.

Then yesterday, she saw how Hyewon was worried about her. How there was no relief from her face when she heard Yujin already has a girlfriend, instead she was genuinely worried about Minju. The latter never felt that the older girl is faking her interaction or the way she was comforting her yesterday. She thought how lucky she is to have a best friend like Hyewon, to be loved by Hyewon.

Then the guilt starts to take place, because she knows that she could never reciprocate the older girl’s feelings for her. She knows that she would hurt her roommate, and their friendship would be thrown away. Minju could not afford to lose Hyewon as a friend, and if that means that she needs to stop their deal, then she would do it.

“ – okay?” Snapping out from her thoughts, she saw a worried Hyewon looking at her. Stop looking at me like that!

“Hey, are you okay Minju-ah? Does it taste bad?” Hyewon pouted. Minju shakes her head and looked at the pizza she was holding. She coughed and put the food down straightening position.

“Hyewon, I need to talk to you about something.” She seriously said. Hyewon sensing the atmosphere stopped eating and looked at the younger girl who was looking at her intently.

“About what?” Hyewon asked and chuckled nervously.

“You know what happened yesterday, right?” Minju asked which earned a nod. “So, you saw how broken I was?” Which also Hyewon nodded again, avoiding the gaze of the younger girl. Please don’t.

“I just want to clear things.” Minju said, waiting for a response. Hearing none, she continued.

“I think we need stop with ou – “ She was surprised with a soft pair of lips cutting her off. She saw the older girl closing her eyes tightly, and held on to the younger girl’s shoulders for support.

She felt how Hyewon squeezed her shoulder and did not move an inch from the kiss. A simple lip touching was happening between them, but Hyewon feels, knowd, like she’s begging. Pulling away, Hyewon stood up, not looking at Minju. Knowing that the latter’s expression is of surprise, she walked backwards while looking down.

“I’m full now. Please put the leftovers at fridge. Thank you.” She hastily left their living room and entered her room. Hearing a click, Minju was pulled from her daze and looked at the now locked room of her roommate.

She then heard her phone signaling her for a text message.

Goodnight. I love you.

  • Kwangbae

 

Inside her room, Hyewon could not help herself but to cry it all out. She knew what the other girl was about to say. She knows it’s the right thing to do, but she doesn’t want it. She already accepted the fact that her feelings won’t be reciprocated, hence she’s savoring the moments of their deal.

She knows how stupid she is for going on with the deal, but who are they to judge? They would not understand her emotions, her feelings, her love for Minju. They would not understand how much she loves the younger girl, how she would do anything for the younger girl. No one could understand.

They may know that she is currently hurting from this, but no one would understand the depth of it. But Hyewon already accepted that fact, she already accepted the heart break that was about to come. Because she knew, she knew that it was a lost battle from the very beginning. She knew that she never stood a chance.

And so, that’s how Hyewon was welcomed into slumber. Crying quietly as the darkness consumes her. Because somehow, she would feel no pain for the time being.