DAY 19 | 19/20 KISSES

A Deal of 20

Waking up, Minju slowly stretched herself and sat up from her bed. Memories from last night hitting her like a truck, strong emotions running through her veins. Minju needs her best friend in this situation. She contemplated if she should text Chaewon at 8 in the morning.

Typing a message, she immediately deleted it and decided to just talk to Chaewon when they meet. Minju stood up and looked at the time seeing that she has 2 hours to prepare before her first class starts. Walking out of her room, the dorm was oddly quiet. She expects Hyewon to be at the living room since she knows that the older girl’s class won’t start until 11. It’s only 8. Where is she?

Looking around, the older girl was not in the kitchen and bathroom. She decided to knock on the older girl’s room hoping for a response. But to no avail, no one answered. She tried to turn the knob and was surprised that the door is unlock. Peeking, she Hyewon’s bed completely tidy with no sign of the girl. The room was oddly clean despite Hyewon being too lazy to clean her room sometimes. Odd, where is she?

Closing the door, she went to the kitchen to prepare some breakfast when she saw something on the table. A box. Out of curiosity, Minju opened the box and was welcomed by the sight of pancakes and bacon. She then noticed a note attached to it.

Went out early. Breakfast for you. Take care!

  • Kwangbae _-

Smiling at the gesture, Minju eagerly sat down and devoured the breakfast bought by the older girl. It didn’t take her too long to finish it, putting box in the trash, but keeping the note. She quickly went out to get her phone to text Hyewon.

Thanks for the breakfast!

  • Minjuri

She then waited for a reply, but a few minutes passed there was still none. Looking weirdly at her phone, she walked to their living room. Why isn’t she replying?

Looking at the time it was still early for her to prepare, but with nothing to do, the younger girl decided to just go to their university early. Minju stood up and entered the bathroom to take a shower, hoping it would take her mind out of things.

Checking if she got all her things, Minju went out of their dorm and locked it. She then checked her phone hoping for a reply from the older girl, but only to be disappointed. Maybe she’s busy.

Arriving at their university, as expected, there were only a few students at the moment. Minju started to talk around, not knowing where to go. She still has so much time before her classes starts, she hopes that she could bump into Chaewon since that girl always arrives early.

But to her surprise, she saw her roommate, sitting at a bench with a tree shading enough part of it to shield her from the sun. The younger girl is certain that hunching figure form the distance is Hyewon. She decided to approach the girl, who she thinks is busy playing her phone.

Indeed, Hyewon is playing with her phone. She’s busy playing?

She cleared trying to get the other girl’s attention, but Hyeown was too focused on her game. She decided to take a seat beside the girl, waiting for her to finish the game. 5 minutes into scrolling through her phone, she heard Hyewon groaning. Turning to her right, it seems like the older girl is already finish with her game.

“Finish?” Minju asked simply, which surprised the older girl, causing her to jump slightly.

“What the – “ Hyewon shouted making her snap her head to her left to see her roommate looking at her.

“Minju!” Hyewon breathed out. “You don’t just sneak on people like that!”

“You were too focused on your game.” Minju shrugged her shoulders. “You didn’t even reply to my message.” She muttered under her breath.

“Why are you here,” Hyewon asked and looked at the time. “it’s just 9. Your class starts in 10, right?”

“I could ask you the same.” Minju stared at the older girl, who only looked away.

“I’m busy.” The older girl shrugged.

“With playing?”

Hyewon clenched her jaw, because she went out early to avoid the younger girl. She’s aware that their deal is about to end, and perhaps she’s both of them a favor. She didn’t expect to see Minju in the university so early in the morning.

She then quickly stood up surprising Minju, making the latter to look at her weirdly. Minju was about to ask Hyewon when she was cut off.

“I need to go!” Hyewon hastily said. “Make-up classes for uh, some Philosophy class.” She just spit out any subject and quickly walk away from the younger girl.

Minju sat there stunned with the sudden departure of her roommate. Furrowing her eyebrows, she sighed to herself. You don’t even have Philosophy because you hate it.

Okay, Minju might be stupid, but she is not that stupid. She isn’t blind either. She knows that Hyewon is acting weirdly since the morning. Saying she has Philosophy class when in fact, she hates that subject to the core.

And now, with both of their classes finished, she saw the older girl walking along the hallway. She knows that Hyewon was about to go the library, hence, she asked if she could tag along. She definitely saw a little bit of hesitance, but the older girl agreed.

She noticed how Hyewon was quiet along the way. Okay Hyewon is a quiet person, but she’s not this quiet when they are both together. Knowing the older girl, Hyewon should have been annoying the out of her already.

So, no. Minju is not stupid nor blind to see that there is something bothering the older girl. Since they sat down at the library, she noticed that her roommate is often staring into space, as if deep in thought.

It makes her feel weird, to be this quiet when they are both together. When the older girl is not spacing out, she could see that Hyewon is looking at her phone, typing something. She could see the older girl’s phone often lights up indicating a new message.

‘Can you see that person everyday loving another person and the possibility of not having that person in the future?’

Remembering what Yujin said, it suddenly made Minju feel uneasy. Trying to get the other girl’s attention, she quietly tapped the table which caused Hyewon to look up from her phone.

“Hyewon, are you okay?” She worriedly asked.

Surprised at the question, Hyewon immediately soften up and smiled warmly at the younger girl. She nodded her head and gave Minju a reassuring smile. She then turned to look at her phone, in which Minju followed her sight, and saw someone calling her.

The younger girl saw the incoming call, with Hyewon quickly standing up and excusing herself to take the call. Why is her mother suddenly calling her?

Shaking her head, Minju focused her attention on the book in front of her, hoping to get herself together and finish her work. 20 minutes in, and Minju was unsuccessful and Hyewon is still outside. As she is about to stand up, she felt someone walking near only to see Hyewon already finished with her call.

But the older girl was sporting an unreadable expression. Not bothering to look at Minju, she quietly sat down and spaced out again. Staring at the silent girl in front of her, Minju is now deadly worried. A call from her mother, and then this? What’s happening?

“Hyewon-ah,” She softly called. “Are you really okay?

Feeling a touch on her hand, Hyewon pulled herself out from her thoughts only to be met by Minju’s worrying gaze. She sat up properly, and smiled. Forcing herself to smile as sincerely as possible, hoping that the younger girl would not notice it.

“I’m hungry, do you want to eat outside?”

Checking the time, Minju nodded her head since it was already lunch. Putting all of her things inside her bag, she turned her head to asked if the older girl is good to go. But Hyewon was staring at her phone again.

“Hyewon?” She called out.

Hearing her name, Hyewon quickly looked up to see the younger girl already ready. She quickly stood up and pulled Minju out of the library.

“Let’s eat at Chaeyeon-unnie’s café?” She asked with a small smile on her face.

“Sounds like a plan.” Minju said as she let herself be pulled by the older girl. Maybe she’s just really hungry.

She’s not. It was painfully obvious that hunger is the reason why the older girl is acting weird. Of course, it would not be that simple. Who is Minju kidding?

Arriving at the café, both of them were greeted happily by Sakura and Chaeyeon. Hyewon was actually surprised to see Chaeyeon that time, expecting the girl to be busy in her office.

“Why, didn’t you miss me?” Chaeyeon teased Hyewon, making Minju smile.

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon pushed the girl away. “No, I didn’t.”

“I know you missed me.” Chaeyeon laughed. The girl was about to tease Hyewon more when Sakura stopped her. and like an obedient puppy, Chaeyeon followed the older girl. Smirking, Hyewon knows how whipped the younger girl was for Sakura.

They were then led to a table, not bothering to order since Chaeyeon said that they should leave it up to her. Minju appreciated how the older girl was talking to her, but she could see right through her that she’s forcing herself. It’s bothering the younger girl and has been itching to ask Hyewon what the problem is when their food suddenly arrived.

And now, 10 mintes after the food arrived, it should be expected that Hyewon would almost finish her own in a blink. But the older girl was spacing out, mostly playing with her food. Eating little bits of the delicious food in front of them. Minju not having it anymore, decided to call Hyewon’s attention.

“Hyewon.” She tried, but it seems like it fell into deaf ears. The older girl is still not looking up, obviously consumed by her thoughts.

“Hyewon-ah.” She called louder than before, but to no avail the older girl is not responding.

“Hyewon-ah.” She called and grabbed the latter’s hands resting on the table, surprising Hyewon.

Hyewon, surprised with someone suddenly grabbing her, was pulled out from her thoughts. Unfortunately, she was too jumpy at the moment, causing her to knock off the drink near her. Spilling its contents on to Minju

“!” Hyewon stood up looking at the mess she made. “I’m sorry!”

Minju seeing the juice spilled on her, quickly stood up from her seat also. Groaning, cursing herself why she decided to wear a white skirt out of all days. Just, nice.

She then turned her gaze to the older girl who was worriedly looking at her skirt, repeatedly apologizing. Knowing that Hyewon did not mean it, and it was a complete accident, she said reassuring words that it’s fine.

“No, it’s alright.” Minju reassured. “I don’t have any classes after this. Don’t worry.”

She smiled at Hyewon, who was still guilty and still apologizing. Minju then excused herself to go to the comfort room, hoping to somehow fix the stain on her skirt. Hyewon did not protest and let the girl leave. Leaving her there standing, staring at the spilled juice.

“You look so out of it, Kang-chan.” She heard someone saying only to see Sakura looking at her worriedly.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” Sakura suggested. “I’ll clean this up, don’t worry.”

Hyewon followed the older girl, sitting down and sighing for the nth time of the day. She’s trying her best to act normally, but she just could not erase from her mind the deal, her mother. Everything. She’s thinking too much that she didn’t notice she’s been staring at Sakura.

“Snap out of it Hyewon.” Hyewon surprised with the voice behind, turned to see Chaeyeon frowning at her.

“What?”

“You think I don’t know?” Chaeyeon chuckled, surprising the quiet girl at the question.

“H-how,” Hyewon stuttered. “How did you – “

“Heard it from my parents.” Chaeyeon answered Hyewon’s unspoken question. Looking at the girl, the café owner could not help but to feel sorry. Hyewon does not deserve what ever is bound to happen.

Hyewon could only nod her head avoiding the gaze of the girl. Sakura obviously knows what they are talking about, but she didn’t need to in their conversation. The older girl also feels sorry for the girl, but she knows how Hyewon doesn’t want to be seen as someone helpless, so she just kept quiet.

Seeing that Sakura is already finished cleaning the mess, Chaeyeon decided to leave Hyewon alone but not without squeezing the girl’s shoulders.

“Please. Live your life.” She whispered.

Hyewon clenched her jaws and nodded, looking away from the two who was walking away. She wants to live her life; they don’t know how much she wants to live her own life. But she needs to do this. No one is forcing her; she just knows that she needs to do it.

Standing up, she decided to follow the younger girl who went to the comfort room. Knocking slightly, she entered the comfort room and locked it. She was greeted by the sight of her roommate, wiping the stain on her skirt.

“Hey.” She said.

“Hey, you.” Minju smiled slightly, and turned her focus to her skirt.

Hyewon could only rub her own face with the mess she made. Guiltily, she approached the younger girl, getting some paper towels and trying to do her best to help. Minju observed the older girl helping her, who was guiltily looking at the stain on her skirt. But she knows that guilt is not just because of what happened earlier, it holds something more. And Minju plans to know it. She needs to.

“Hyewon,” She called, but the older girl was not looking up. “Hyewon, look at me.”

Shaking her head, Hyeown did not dare to look up and continued her ministrations by wiping the skirt. But she felt a hand holding her wrist.

“Hyewon, look at me.” Minju whispered. “What’s up with you?”

Hyewon decided to look at Minju, who was worriedly looking at her, waiting for her answer. She just shakes her head and, pushing away Minju’s hold on her.

“Nothing,” She muttered. “Let me just help you.”

Hearing the answer, the younger girl could not hep but to scoff. Feeling anger bubbling inside her, she could not help herself but to raise her voice.

“This is not nothing!” Minju exclaimed, stepping away from Hyewon. “You’ve been all over the place the whole day!” She reasoned out.

“I’m just stressed.” Hyewon simply said, not minding the anger in the younger girl’s voice. “Don’t worry.”

“Bull!” Minju cussed out, making Hyewon wince internally. The younger girl does not usually cuss out, she knows she annoyed the hell out of her roommate for her to say that.

“That’s not how you usually handle stress!” Minju continued. “And, you know it.” She stared the older girl down.

Not denying nor confirming what the other girl just said, Hyewon shrugged her should nonchalantly. “Maybe, just let me help you.” Hyewon stepped forward looking at the stain skirt.

“Hyewon, look at me.” Minju whispered, begging the older girl. Hearing the tone, the older girl could not help but to follow. Meeting her roommate’s gaze, she knows she could not hold herself any longer.

“Are you okay?” Minju whispered. She doesn’t care how worried she sounds like at the moment, she just needs an answer. Looking – seeing the older girl in front of her, she could see how troubled Hyewon looks. This is the first time for her to see Hyewon looking so helpless, pain swirling in her eyes. She was about to ask again when she was cut off by a hoarse whisper.

“Can I kiss you?” Not waiting for answer, the older stepped forward and immediately captured the lips of the frozen girl in front her. Flipping their positions, with Minju leaning on the sink, Hyewon continued to kiss the younger girl.

Surprised by the kiss, Minju could not help but to follow the older girl. Holding the latter by the shoulders, she could feel the pent-up anger Hyewon is holding. She could feel the harshness that the older girl is giving with how sloppy the kiss is. It is very much different from the kiss last night. Minju is certain that something is bothering, greatly bothering the older girl.

Hyewon then suddenly stopped and pulled away, panting. Seeing that the older girl is not looking at her straight in the eyes, Minju squeezed Hyewon by the shoulders.

“Are you okay?” She softly asked again, as she also tried to catch her breath. She was then surprised when Hyewon quickly shook her head as answer. The latter then hugged Minju tightly by the waist, as if her life depended on it.

Minju was about to talk when she felt the body against her shaking. And a sob followed. The younger girl slowly hugged the older girl by the neck, and rubbed her back. She doesn’t know why Hyewon is crying, she doesn’t know what to do. But she could see that Hyewon needs her right know. And she would not leave the older girl alone.

“Hey, hey” She whispered. “It’s going to be alright.”

Hyewon just continued to sob, hugging the younger girl tightly than before. Minju didn’t notice that a tear slowly rolled down on her own cheek until she felt it reached her chin. Wiping it away, she hugged Hyewon back with the same intensity, hoping to console the broken girl.

“It’s going to be alright.” She repeated and kissed the older girl’s head. And that’s how the two spend their whole 10 minutes. With Hyewon clinging onto the younger girl, and the latter consoling the broken girl. Minju would not ask the problem, she wouldn’t want to pry even though she’s worried to death. But she just let Hyewon cry on to her shoulders, whispering reassuring words, hoping to alleviate some pain away.

When Hyewon managed to composed herself, she pulled away from the younger girl. Looking at the latter’s shoulder she was about to apologize when she was cut off.

“If you apologize again, I swear.” Minju said, trying to break the ice.

It was successful, since she managed to get a chuckle from Hyewon. Shaking her head, Hyewon muttered.

“Thank you.”

“You look like .” Minju joked, and Hyewon looked at the mirror behind the younger girl. Indeed, she looks like . She immediately went to the sink to wash up, with Minju waiting behind. Satisfied with her look, she glanced at the younger girl who was waiting for her.

She smiled slightly and walked to the door, opening it, she beckoned Minju to go first. Following the younger girl to their table, they were greeted by their unfinished lunch. Not having the appetite to eat anymore, Hyewon was about to pay when she was stopped.

“It’s in the house.” Sakura stated as she hands out a plastic bag to Minju. “You could take this home.”

Hyewon was about to protest when CHaeyeon appeared behind the older girl. “No buts.”

Glaring at Chaeyeon, who was returning it with a glare, Hyewon rolled her eyes. “Thank you.” She muttered. Minju could only stare at the interaction. When she saw her roommate standing up seeming ready to leave, she said her thanks to Sakura and bowed.

As they are about to walk away, Hyewon was stopped by a hand on her shoulder. Looking beside her, Chaeyeon was smiling at her sadly. “Think about it carefully, Hyewon-ah.” The café owner said softly. Minju did not miss it, staring at Chaeyeon. Does she know?

Confused and curious, a deadly combination, Minju was about to ask Chaeyeon when she was pulled away by Hyewon, holding her by the wrist. Looking at her roommate, she decided to just follow the girl not wanting to stress her out.

But that does not mean she would leave it at that.

Arriving at their dorm, Minju is of course still worried for the older girl. The latter was quiet the whole walk to their dorm, but she just let her be. Not wanting to bother, since Hyewon needs some space. The older girl then immediately went inside her room leaving Minju by herself.

Sighing, Minju put their shoes on its proper place and went to the kitchen to put the meals given to them by Chaeyeon and Sakura. She then went to her own room to change into much more comfortable clothes, not forgetting to put her stained skirt into the hamper for dry cleaning. She went out and walked to their living room.

Not being used to the silence of their dorm, she looked at the older girl’s door. She contemplated if she should knock over there, but decided against it. she went on to turn on the television, hoping for something to take her mind out of things for the time being.

She fished out her phone when she was too tired to look for a channel. She stared at the messaging icon and decided to message someone. Hoping for that person to reply as soon as possible.

Does Hyewon have a problem?

  • Minjuring

She breathed out in relief when she received a reply a few seconds after.

Why?

  • Yenaduck

She’s acting weird the whole day.

  • Minjuring

Maybe she’s just stressed?

  • Yenaduck

She cried to me. I’m worried.

  • Minjuring

Staring at her phone, she was waiting for a reply when none came. Groaning, Minju was about to throw her phone on the couch when she heard it. Indicating a new message

I’m sorry Minjuring. I think you should ask her yourself.

  • Yenaduck

Sighing in defeat she put her phone down and groaned again. As if I haven’t tried that yet. She’s confused with the vague answer of Yena, and then add that to the confusing words of Chaeyeon. It’s too much for Minju’s brain to handle. But at the same time, she’s too worried for her roommate.

Deep in her thoughts, Minju was snapped out of it when she heard a muffled voice coming from Hyewon’s room. It seems like she’s talking to someone on her phone. You see, Minju hates people who eavesdrop on other’s conversations. But obviously, it’s not her fault that she could hear Hyewon talking through her door.

“I said I’ll do it!”

“I’m sure about it.”

“Don’t worry.”

“Just please, don’t pester me abou – “

“No, I’m sorry.”

“I’m just stressed.”

After hearing that, Minju was still staring at the older girl’s room hoping to get some idea what and who she is talking to. But she immediately averted her gaze when she heard the door clicking, indicating that Hyewon’s coming out of it.

Minju immediately acted that she was too focused on whatever is playing on the television, hoping that the older girl would not notice that she was listening to her phone call. Hyewon then went straight to the kitchen to get some glass of water.

Minju could see in her peripheral vision that Hyewon is frowning and muttering God knows what to herself. She completely turned her head to the girl in the kitchen, still irritated from her call.

“Mario Kart?” She suggested, getting Hyewon’s attention. Looking at the younger girl and glancing at the television she asked.

“What about your drama?”

Minju just shrugged and answered. “Could look it up in the internet.”

Weirded out by the suggestion, Hyewon slowly nodded and washed the glass that she just used. She then slowly walked to the other girl sitting on the couch.

“You sure?”

“Just put it in.” Minju rolled her eyes. “Or you’re just scared to lose?” She teased.

Hyewon laughed slightly and went on to set up their console, getting the two controllers she went and flopped herself beside Minju, handing her the other controller.

“Ready to lose?” She asked jokingly.

Minju scoffed at what she heard. “Please, we both know what happened last time.” She hopes that somehow, Hyewon would be alright and open up to Minju regarding her problem. Because the younger girl badly wants to help out.

They played Mario Kart for hours, Minju unexpectedly enjoying every second of it. especially when she completely dominates over Hyewon who was frowning by the second. Banters are thrown every after round, teasing and hoking with each other.

Hyewon smiled to herself, thankful for the younger girl beside her who is busy controlling her character on their race. Somehow it took her mind from everything. She knows that Minju is worried about her which is why she suggested doing this. She is also aware that Minju wants to know the problem. But she could not just blurt it out, when Minju is part of the reason why she is being out of it lately. Finishing the round, Hyewon sighed and put down her controller.

“Thank you.” She said softly, making the other girl smile. Minju then kicked the older girl lightly as answer.

“What’s bothering you anyway?” Minju asked the million-dollar question, praying that Hyewon would finally answer.

“I, it’s just, “ Hyewon tried to croak out an answer. shaking her head, she sat up properly. “Minju, please answer me honestly.”

Staring straight to the older girl, Minju asked. “What is it?”

“Do you never,” Hyewon trailed off. “Never see me anything more than a friend?” She finished quietly.

Minju was stunned, speechless. She was expecting an answer, but she was not expecting to be asked with that question. It seriously came out of nowhere. Is that what’s bothering her?

Minju furrowed her eyebrows, thinking of an answer. Because to be honest, she doesn’t know in herself if she could see Hyewon more than a friend. Yes, she might have certain realizations last night, but she is still not sure about it. But Hyewon is there sitting in front her, waiting patiently with a small smile plastered in her face.

“I – I’m,” Minju stuttered out. “I’m sorry. I don’t know.” She said softly, looking at the ground.

Biting her lips, Hyewon forced herself to smile. At some point, she was hoping for a positive answer. but observing the younger girl, with how she contemplated on giving an answer, she should have expected this one. She breathed out a laugh. Of course. Of course.

She then slowly leaned in, lifting Minju’s face to look at her. She smiled slightly and whispered. “I’m going to kiss you, alright?”

Minju could hear her heart beating loudly, she could literally feel it beating the out of her chest. She doesn’t know why but she could hear a hint of pain on Hyewon’s question. And then she was suddenly kissed, and everything seems to stop.

Hyewon’s kisses were always different, her first kiss with the older girl it was like a water in the middle of the desert, as if she has been waiting for a long time for that moment. The kiss last night was full of peace, soft and gently just like the older girl. While the kiss earlier in the café was harsh, quick, passionate, like that’s the only thing that could keep Hyewon alive.

Hyewon might be good in hiding her emotion, but it could never hide it when she kisses the younger girl. It takes Minju into different dimensions, with each kiss they share. But this kiss, Minju could not pinpoint the emotions attached to it. it was soft, yet Hyewon’s holding her tightly. She could feel Hyewon softly caressing her cheeks, but she could also feel her other hand clenching on to her shirt.

And as softly as she came, Hyewon slowly pulled away from Minju. It was not as long as like their other kisses before, but Hyewon’s stare shook her to the core. It’s screaming something, something that Minju needs to know. But the latter could not read it, and it’s making her frustrated. Hyewon is speaking to her through her eyes but Minju could not understand what she’s trying to convey.

Pulling away completely, Hyewon sat up properly and smiled. Minju was still staring at the older girl who already turned her attention to the television. Hyewon then stood up, getting both of their controllers. Turning of the gaming console, she changed the channel to some drama.

“I have a shift in an hour,” She said trying to start a conversation. “I’ll just get ready.”

Before she could completely walk away, she stopped on her tracks and looked back at the still quiet girl.

“Minju-ah,” She called out, making the latter look at her. “Forget my question.” She smiled and entered her room, leaving Minju in the living room all alone.

As she is getting ready, Minju was thinking about what happened earlier. The kiss. The stare. The question. Everything. Something just doesn’t add up. It would not be just about the deal if Hyewon is this stressed, right? Chaeyeon-unnie knows something about it, but it seems more serious.

She then heard Hyewon walking out from her room, all ready for her shift. The older girl looked at her and smiled softly.

“Don’t wait up for me.” Hyewon said and walked to the door. “I love you.” And then she left.

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes Mr. Kim.” Hyewon said softly. “I’m sorry.”

“Why so sudden?” The man asked Hyewon. “You seem like getting the hang of it.”

“Just some emergency.” Hyewon vaguely answered.

“That’s a far place to go.”

Hyewon just smiled and nodded. “I know.”

“Does your friends know?”

“Some.” Hyewon looked away.

Nodding his head, Mr. Kim stood up and offered his for a shake which was accepted by the younger girl.

“It was nice having you to work for me then.”

“It’s a pleasure.” Hyewon smiled and took her leave.

“Hey!” Mr. Kim shouted for her attention. “Get those pastries over there. Those might be the last ones you could get for free.” He joked making Hyewon chuckle. Bowing to the older girl, she proceeded to walk out of the store. One day and one kiss to go. She smiled sadly to herself.