Companion

Allegra

          I lean my body backwards, and hurriedly get up. "Oh my. Sorry." I try to laugh it off and wipe my face. "I got carried away... A minute." I speedwalk to the bathroom, and lock myself inside. What was I doing? Why did I even shed tears? You're overdoing this.

          I take deep breaths for a few times and make sure my eyes look fine until I decide to come out. Chanyeol is sitting silently on the sofa, and I shoot him the most cheerful smile I could flash.

          "Jia... I'm very sorry."

          "No, no, it's okay." I sit next to him. "Me too... I don't know why I cried."

          He’s sitting there with ankles crossed, and he bends down a bit to stretch. He looks longingly at the window. “It’s still pouring.”

          “Yeah…” I sigh. “At least the light’s now on.”

          Chanyeol stands up and picks up his shirt from the heater. “Oh, it’s dried already.” he says, and turns off the electronic. After wearing the shirt back he throws himself to the sofa and audibly grunts. “What should we do?”

          I cross my arms. “Are you hungry?”

          He sits up, and looks at me. “Do you have something to cook?”

          “Um…” I drag my tone. “The ingredients may be there. But I’m not particularly a good cook.”

          “I’ll do it.” Chanyeol confidently says. I raise my eyebrows. We move to the kitchen, and raid the refrigerator.

          “So what do you usually eat? Ordering deliveries?” Chanyeol asks after he realizes that most of what’s inside are my roommate’s food.

          “I… just don’t. Sometimes I get too lazy to eat.”

          He shakes his head slowly. “So you eat to live. I live to eat.”

          I laugh. “Well, people are different.”

          We collect the ingredients for spicy rice cakes, and Chanyeol assigns me with the task to slice green onion. Hearing me heaving a deep breath, he looks up from slicing the fish cake and makes small crying noises. “You must find cooking troublesome… No wonder you just skip your meals.”

          “No, I…” I hold back my laughter. “Maybe you’re right. I hope to learn how to enjoy making my food and eating from what we’re doing now.”

          “Oh, that’s too high of an expectation, I feel pressured.” Chanyeol curls his fingers. He heats up the pan after our preparation is complete and skillfully starts cooking. His movements are natural and relaxed, and I just watch from across the counter in silence.

          “You must’ve made a lot of meals.” I comment.

          “Only simple ones.” he shrugs. “Now, this is my own secret touch.” he reaches for the crushed garlic container and takes a teaspoon.

          “Oh? I thought you’re not going to use it.”

          “Hehe.” he giggles slowly as he stirs the mixture. “Let me know the difference.”

          The rice cakes are done, and we move to the living room in front of the kitchen, sitting on the floor behind the table. “Oh, I’m nervous. I don’t think someone ever tastes my cooking other than my family.”

          “Eh, it looks good. I’m sure it’ll taste nice too.” I pick up my chopsticks. It indeed looks mouthwatering, though. I think I haven’t been this excited to eat for a long time.

          I take a bite and chew slowly. “Oh.” I exclaim. “It tastes stronger. In a good way.”

          “Yeah, I like strong seasoning. That’s why I modify the regular recipe.” Chanyeol looks proud of himself. “How is it overall?”

          I nod, and give him a thumbs up. “Certified. You’re good at cooking.”

          Chanyeol looks pleased, and we continue eating. After that, we do the dishes and stand near the kitchen counter to digest the food.

          “But with garlic, it indeed made the smell…” I smack my tongue a bit. Chanyeol apologetically grins. “Do you want to brush your teeth? I have spare toothbrushes.” I say.

          We head to the bathroom, and I take out a hotel toothbrush pack from the counter. “My roommate and I collect these free toiletries, in case there are people visiting.” I say, and Chanyeol looks fascinated.

          “My mother does the same.”

          I laugh, and we start brushing our teeth side by side. Actually the space in front of the sink isn’t much, but it’s too late to separate now. I let my eyes down a lot, getting embarrassed by myself. Our shoulders sometimes brush against each other.

          “My roommate sometimes complains if we use the bathroom together because she feels intimidated with my height.” I tell Chanyeol. “She’ll freak out more if she meets you.”

          Chanyeol laughs and almost chokes. After taking turns gargling, we go back to the living room again, but the rain still shows no sign of stopping. I sit on the sofa, and sigh. “It starts getting dark.”

          Chanyeol plops down to the floor, and lies down on the carpet between the sofa and the table. “What are you doing?” I ask.

          “I feel sleepy.” he mumbles.

          “Then go up here.” I stand up, and point to the sofa.

          “No, it’s too short for me anyway. Can I have a cushion instead?”

          I hand him one, and he uses it as a pillow. He lets out a long breath and stretches. “Loud rain and a full stomach call for a nap.”

          I snicker in affirmation. I lie down on the sofa, and look at the ceiling. I spy Chanyeol crossing his legs from the floor.

          “Jia?”

          “Yes?”

          “Thanks for helping me today.”

          “You’re welcome.” I respond. “On the contrary, I apologize for making you a bit uncomfortable a while ago.”

          “Don’t say that. If you feel better after expressing your emotions, you don’t need to feel sorry.” Chanyeol says, his voice is full of encouragement.

          “You’re so nice.”

          “Can I ask you something?”

          “What is it?” I answer, feeling a bit jittery inside.

          "If you’re okay with it, can we keep hanging out? Just like today you helped me, you can ask me anytime if you need something. Or if you want to talk about something, don’t hesitate to call me.”

          I freeze in the outside, but I actually feel so touched that I can’t instantly respond. My mouth parts a bit, trying to process and think of an answer. What have I done to deserve such a caring companion? I finally nod. “The same goes to you.”

          I hear Chanyeol saying a tiny ‘yay’, followed by one hand reaching up to my side for a high-five. I smile, and pat his palm. He softly grabs my hand and sways it for a few seconds. “I’ll close my eyes for a bit.”

          “Alright.” I say, and only his deep, relaxed breath is heard afterwards. A few minutes passed, and I try to make no sound as I turn to look down, peeking at him. Is he really sleeping? He has one hand above his head, and one knee lifted.

          I go back to my position, and place my hands above my stomach. A lot of things happened today, didn’t it?

          I inhale, and close my eyes. You experience new things everyday.

*

          I open my eyes with a shudder, and I catch my breath. I look at the clock and it’s been half an hour since the last time I saw it.

          It’s currently silent now as the rain has stopped, and I sit up. I look to the side, and Chanyeol is still there, clearly in the dreamland with his mouth open a bit.

          I try to move as soundlessly as possible to get away from the sofa, and go to the bathroom to fix my appearance. A few strands of my hair proudly stand on its own, and I shake my head.

          “Jia?”

          I see Chanyeol walking slowly to the bathroom with his thick post-sleep eyelids and fluffed up curly hair. “Oh… You woke up?”

          “Can I go to the bathroom?”

          I stay alone in the living room until Chanyeol finishes, and he glances at the window. “Finally.” he says with a hoarse voice. I give him a glass of water and we sit on the sofa.

          “Thanks.” he says. “It’s time to go home, then.”

          “Ah. Then…” I go to my bedroom to take something and initially hide it behind with my hands as I come back. “Um… I know it’s not much, but… Can you give this to your sister?”

          I reveal an Allegra box wrapped in a piece of ribbon, and give it to him. He looks dazed for a second, then slowly takes it. “For my sister? Really?”

          “Yeah. Just think of it as a promotion. I was hesitating, but hearing that your sister likes feminine things, I think she’d like it.”

          “Wow…” Chanyeol looks at the box, his eyes sparkle. “Which style is it?”

          “It’s a surprise.”

          He laughs, and holds it carefully. “Thank you so much. You’re so kind to people you haven’t even met.”

          “No, it’s nothing.” I say slowly. “Be careful on your way home.”

          Chanyeol grins from ear to ear, and waves as he goes out. “I’ll get going. I’ll tell you how my sister reacts to it!”

          He disappears from the corridor, and I close the door. I stick my back to the wall near the shoe rack and smile to myself. For the first time in a while, I feel so happy, like my heart is going to burst.