Wedding

Allegra

          "Jia, my sister told me she invited your part-timer to her wedding." Miyeon excitedly informs me as soon as she arrives at class the next day. "She said it was a super tall and good-looking man! What is this, why haven't you told me anything? Who is he?"

          I swallow. "Uh... It's Park Chanyeol from Business Administration."

          "How did he start working for you?"

          I try to explain the chronology since the photoshoot as shortly as possible, and Miyeon nods. "...and that's how Ahyeon unni asked him."

          "Oh, so, like a wedding date?" she hits my upper arm, and laughs hysterically.

          I close my eyes, and massage my nape. "If your sister has ordered so, what can I do?"

          "She's right, though. Oh my God, I want to see him! Should I walk to his faculty to find him?"

          I furrow my brows, and she crackles again. It's still in a few days, but I've started feeling jittery.

*

          On Saturday evening, I’m looking at myself in front of the mirror, and take a deep breath. I’m wearing a coffee-colored, fitted knee-length dress and and a hairpin I made from leftover beads I had. For the shoes I decided on dark brown kitten heels so I don’t tower too much. I still have quite some time until I meet Chanyeol to go together to Ahyeon’s wedding, but I’ve been ready since an hour ago because I was too anxious.

          I’m adjusting the hairpin when my phone rings, and it’s Chanyeol. Why is he calling? Did something happen? “Hello?”

          “Hi, Jia. Are you getting ready?”

          “Yeah… Why?”

          “We were going to take the bus, right… But I think it’d be uncomfortable, since it’s going to finish at night and all... So I’m borrowing my dad’s car.”

          “What? Are you serious?”

          “Yeah, I’m on my way. But don’t rush, I’m going to arrive on the time we agreed before. So take your time. I’ll wait in front of your building!”

          “Oh—okay.”

          Some time later, I’m grabbing my clutch as I walk outside the apartment, and look around. Is he here yet? I spot someone tall standing under the light post and he just happens to turn around.

          “Oh?!” both of us exclaim, looking at each other. Chanyeol is wearing dark brown suit piece with a shirt beneath—of the exact coffee color I’m wearing. It’s like we’re complimenting each other.

          “What is this—how can we—?” Chanyeol laughs in amusement. I look at my dress, then at him.

          “Should I change?” I say slowly.

          “What are you saying? It looks good on you.” he says. “I’m parking the car nearby, let’s go there.”

          He opens the car door for me, and I clumsily thank him. I sit still as he starts the car, and he asks me to put the address on the map.

          “How’s the papercut?” I ask as the car starts moving.

          He shows me the uncovered, dried wound on his finger. “It’s fine.”

          I exhale in relief. “Good to see.”

          “How can we match like this? So fascinating.” he glances at me and chuckles.

          “I know, right.” I laugh, then feel some cold sweat dripping. Miyeon will say something about this.

          After arriving we go to the bride’s waiting room first, and when I open the door, the sound of loud chattering is heard. A few bridesmaids are surrounding Ahyeon, and my eyes instantly go to their wrists. They’re wearing the bracelets, and I can’t hide my smile.

          Ahyeon herself looks amazing in white dress and puffy glittery skirt, and she lights up to see us two. “Oh my, Jia! Come here! You look so pretty! Wow, what is this, you two are color coordinating?”

          Before my face gets any redder, I hug Ahyeon tightly. “Unni, congrats on your wedding. You’re so pretty.” Chanyeol relays his greetings as well. The bridesmaids start whispering in curiosity, looking at us in amazement. I take a step back from the bride’s sofa, feeling nervous. Chanyeol stays next to me but he’s a bit more relaxed.

          “Thank you, Jia! Guys, she’s my sister’s friend, and the one who made the bracelets.” Ahyeon says proudly.

          “Oh, these are so pretty!”

          “I should check the other designs!”

          “Is that your boyfriend? Are you two models?”

          “I think they are. You know how models also have fashion brands.”

          Chanyeol and I stand there awkwardly listening to the girls. “I’m not a model, but… I do make bracelets. The card inside the box has all the information, please come by my page.” I shyly promote my brand.

          “Let’s take a picture together!” Ahyeon says, pulling me to sit next to her. There’s a standby photographer, and he takes a photo of me and Ahyeon. “Hey, come here!”

          Chanyeol was keeping a distance near the door when Ahyeon calls him, and he looks hesitant. Ahyeon commands him to stand behind the sofa, and a picture of us three is taken.

          “Sir, can you take a photo of these two?” Ahyeon points to me and Chanyeol, and I raise my eyebrows.

          “Unni, what—" I start to refuse.

          “You two are looking gorgeous, it needs a memento!” she even stands up and directs our position near the dressing table.

          “Okay, look here.” the photographer tells us. The bridesmaids are whispering in delight, and my palms are moist. “Can you two look a bit more… Friendly?”

          Chanyeol and I look at each other, and I quickly look away. What are we supposed to do?

          “Put your arm around his!” Ahyeon says, and I press my lips. Chanyeol gradually offers his arm towards me, and I cautiously do the pose. I’m sure my smile looks so weird.

          “See, they’re not models, look at how stone-like they are.” Ahyeon shakes her head, and her friends snicker.

          We excuse ourselves to go outside, and I let out a loud sigh once the door closes. Chanyeol grins as he shakes his head. “We couldn’t even say anything.”

          “That’s Ahyeon for you.” I wipe my neck. We walk to the wedding hall, and I see Miyeon and her parents greeting the guests at the entrance. She spots me and her jaw literally drops seeing me and Chanyeol.

          "Jia... Wow... You look stunning. Hi, this must be Park Chanyeol."

          He looks a bit surprised that Miyeon knows him. "Ah, yes. Nice to meet you."

          “You guys—whoa—” she still looks astonished. “Jia, you have a lot to tell me…”

          “I have nothing to tell you.” I mutter.

          "Anyway, it's going to start soon! Grab some seats. Sorry I can't be with you!" Miyeon waves and leaves with her parents.

          The other attendants start entering the wedding hall, and it starts getting a bit packed. A little boy is running and bumping into my legs, making me lose my balance for a second. Chanyeol catches my arm, and I'm sticking to one side of his body in an odd position.

          "Oh no—sorry. I didn't even wear high heels but still staggered..."

          "It's crowded, be careful." he helps me standing up properly again, and places a hand on my back. He keeps it there until we enter the hall, and that's how long I held my breath for no reason.

          The ceremony went smoothly, and we stayed until dinner. Once we go back to the car, I press my back to the seat and close my eyes. It has only been three hours since I left the house, but it felt so long.

          “Tired?” Chanyeol asks.

          “No.” I lie a bit. “That was some good energy out there.”

          “Indeed.” Chanyeol says. As he gets the car out from the parking area, he looks around the neighborhood as if he’s looking for something. “How about going somewhere first?”

          “Where?”

          He parks the car near the rowdy Itaewon streets, and I’m doubtful for a second. But he brings me to a calm alley near the blinding lights, and enters a small café. “This place has nice offers. I can’t drink since I’m driving, but you’d be okay.” he says as we take a small table on the corner.

          “Have you been here before?”

          “Yeah, with my sister.” he cheerfully says as he looks at the menu.

          We’re having small talks over drinks and snacks, and Chanyeol is telling me about his basketball team and matches. As he ends the talk, he looks at me seriously. “How about you, Jia? Do you have something to talk about? Maybe your worries?”

          My mouth opens a bit, and I look here and there. “Um… I’m not sure.”

          “Well, it’s okay if you don’t want to. I understand we’re not that close… Yet. Still, you need to let your heart out once in awhile.”

          I tilt my head. “How do you know—”

          “I have a few friends like you. They listen well to people, but they don’t say anything about them.” Chanyeol looks a bit frustrated.

          He’s not the first person who said that to me, but I’m still thankful he notices. “It’s been a habit. But… sometimes I do.”

          “I’m sure your friends will listen to you. Or you can tell me, if you want.”

          He earnestly looks at me, and I’m feeling genuine care through his big eyes. I smile, and nod. “Thank you so much. For now, well… I…” I stir the drink on the table. “Recently I have difficulty sleeping. Even if I do, I don’t wake up feeling nice. Night time… is tormenting me sometimes.”

          Chanyeol looks concerned, and I let out a small laugh. “It should pass quickly.” I say.

          He drives me home, and walks me to the building after we arrive. We stand facing each other under the light post, and Chanyeol breathes in.

          “I don’t know what happened, or what’s happening, but I hope your night isn’t painful.”

          I grit my teeth, and my eyes feel hot. As my vision starts blurring, I look down to the ground and blink repeatedly. This isn’t time for it.

          Chanyeol takes a step closer to me, and reaches for my shoulder. He pats it slowly twice, and smiles. “Go inside. Good night.”

          He waits until I enter the building, and I turn around to see him. He gives one last wave, and smiles. He finally walks away, and I set my sight at his back until he’s no longer seen.

          I hope your night isn’t painful.

          Those words fill my chest, and it feels warm after. I smile to myself, and feel sleepy, in a good way.

*

A Long Night (너의 밤은 아프지 않기를/lit. I Hope Your Night Isn't Painful) - Hyuk