Three

A Night of Miracles

As soon as she reached their house, Momo's nose greeted with a good smell from the kitchen. Could it be Mina is trying to cook? Momo shook the idea out of head.  She remembered that she made Mina promised her  that she cannot cook if they is nobody at home. Anything could happen while Momo is not there. 

 

Taking her shoes off, Momo rushed to the kitchen.

 

"Mina, did you try to cook ag— Eh?! Eomma!" Her sentence stopped midway as she a very familiar figure in the kitchen together with her girlfriend. So that's where the good smell come from.

 

"How did you got here?" Momo hugged the old woman as she grinned widely. "I asked Mina for the address, Mo." She replied with the same grin. Momo nodded and saw Mina standing at the side and reached to hug her. 

 

"Hi, babe." Momo greeted as she tightened the hug, eliciting a giggle coming from the younger. 

 

"How was work? You came early today," Mina commented as they released the hug and caressed Momo's cheek. Momo leaned in the touch. "Same old, Mitang." 

 

"Okay, how about you go take a shower first? The dinner will be ready by then," Mina suggested. "You're stink," she added in the end but she made it clear so Momo can hear it.

 

"You! Eomma! Mina is bullying me again!" Momo reported. She had this ugly pout on her face right now. The old woman looked at them and chuckled. "Mina, is right, Momo. You stink a little as you hug me just now,"

 

"Eomma! Not you too!" Now Momo is really upset with both people. She crossed her arms and made her pout uglier. Mina knew the gestures a lot, so she laughed. Reaching forward, she pecked on Momo's cheek and whispered, "If you don't shower now, you won't get some on your lips again." 

 

Momo's widen her eyes in horror. "Yes, ma'am!" With that, she left the kitchen in a dash and into their small bedroom. Their eomma shook her head at Momo's childish behaviour. 

 

Mina waddled beside the old woman. "I'm sorry you had to witness that. Momo can be childish sometimes," Mina said.

 

The old woman laughed. "It's a good sight. I'm happy that you guys get along well despite the  different personalities. You seemed more mature than her just now." She said with a chuckle in the end. Both of them know that Momo can be adult and a child at certain times.

 

"The soup almost finish. Do you want to give a taste?" The old woman asked as she scoop some in the spoon and blew on it. Mina nodded as she leaned in and taste the broth. "This is so good, eomma." She commented. "It had been such a long time since we eat home cooking meal."

 

Hearing that, Mrs. Jang frowned. "What do you mean? Don't you cook at home?" 

 

Mina shook her head. "You know my condition.  Momo does not like it when I'm cooking alone. She said anything could happen." 

 

Mrs. Jang nodded. "She's right." 

 

"We seldom cook at home. Momo always brought home take out food when she comes home or we just order some from here." Mina said again.

 

"Your fridge must be empty," Mrs. Jang replied. "You two are still young. You should eat a proper meal to stay healthy." She commented. "This cannot do."

 

"From now on, I will bring you two some side dishes so you can eat with rice. You can use the rice cooker, right?" 

 

Mina nodded. "But eomma, it will be a burden for you. We're fine just eating take out foods. It's not that Momo doesn't cook at home too." Mina resisted. The old woman sighed and turned to face the girl after she turned off the stove.

 

"If it's for my children I wouldn't mind, Minari." She said, caressing Mina's head. The kind gesture from the older woman almost brought Mina tears. She hugged the old woman , feeling grateful to meet someone so kind and willing to be a mother figure for both Momo and her.

 

"What are you guys doing? Hugging without me?" There comes Momo in her duck shirt and a track suit. Towel was hanging on her shoulder after having a fresh shower. Mrs. Jang smiled at the latter and opened one arm for Momo to join the hug. "Come here,"

 

"I love family hugs," Momo commented ad ahe nuzzled her face between the two. "I love you guys too." 

 

Both were smiling while keeping the warmth as they hugged.

 

* * *

 

After a hefty dinner, Momo was helping Mina washing the dishes. Mrs. Jang came into the kitchen while bringing a few tupperwares towards the fridge.

 

"These are the leftovers. Reheat it tomorrow for breakfast or lunch." She said. 

 

Momo looked at the older woman. "Thank you, eomma." She replied then proceeded helping Mina. 

 

"Wow, there's really nothing in your fridge." Mrs. Jang commented, looking at the almost empty fridge. "I already told Mina that I'm going to bring you guys side dishes every week. You two should eat proper meal from now on."

 

Momo washed her hands and wiped it using the kitchen towel. 

 

"You don't have to, Eomma." Momo said. "We are—"

 

"I don't want to hear anything from you. Even Mina don't get to say anything." Mrs. Jang replied.

 

Momo looked at Mina, thinking, then back to the older woman again. 

 

"If you said so. Thank you, eomma."

 

* * *

"It's getting late. Eomma should spend the night here, don't you think?" Mina said to Momo. Momo looked at the time and frowned. "You're right. I should tell eomma to stay."

 

"Eomma?"

 

The old woman was packing her things when she heard Momo's calling her. "What is it, child?"

 

"Mina suggested for you to spend the night here. It's already late and it's not good for a woman to roam outside alone." Momo said.

 

"That's right, eomma. You're a woman too. You can stay on our bed while we can lay down on the futon." Mina continued.

 

"Oh no. You don't have to. I will take the futon instead." Said Mrs. Jang. Truth to be told, she felt like she had breach the couple's privacy. Although what Momo and Mina said is true, but still. 

 

"How about this? You and Mina take the bed. I will sleep on the futon. We have extra blankets too." Momo suggested. She felt Mina holding her hand and she doesn't hesitate to grab it back. 

 

"Great, I want to sleep with eomma too." Mina said, smiling. If there's one thing Mina had missed, she wanted the moment where she sleeps with her parent whenever she had a bad dream when she was a kid. Since her parent is long gone, there's only Momo to calm her down during rough nights.

 

That night, they slept as they arranged themselves. Their house never feel this warm until they met their new family.

 

* * *

A week later, Momo came home tired from work. However, Mina felt strange as she sensed Momo behavior which is getting weird day by day. Usually, Momo will always have the time to sit and have a conversation with Mina until its late after the dinner. 

 

Nowadays, Momo returned later than usual, feeling extra tired and sleep early as soon as she had her late dinner. Mina really wanted to ask what causing her so tired but she decided to keep it mum. 

 

As Momo took her shower, Mina collected Momo's used outfit for today. She checked every pocket is there on the clothes because that's what you are suppose to do before putting it in the washing machine. 

 

However, Mina's hand felt something inside Momo's pant pocket. A paper was inside the pant. Mina found it weird. It wasn't a receipt of buying things or something similar. It was a name card. Moreover, Momo always crumpled unimportant slip and kept it in her pants because she forgot to throw it away.

 

But it was neatly folded.

 

Many questions ran inside her head as she felt dizzy. Shaking her head, Mina kept the card with her and proceed washing their dirty clothes.

 

* * *

To be continue...