Epilogue

The General and His Pet

Jinyoung looked up at the sky after he finished hunting with Chani, observing the clouds floating by above the trees. "You've adjusted well," said Chani as he walked over after getting his kills, dragging a deer behind him on a sled. "That's saying a lot, coming from you," said Jinyoung as he turned to Chani, spotting the deer on the sled. "Jaemin and Yuto needed food huh?" He asked. Chani nodded, adjusting the rope on his shoulder. "Let's head back then," he said. Jinyoung nodded and started walking back with Chani following after him.

"Why did you come to me? You could've asked Seungsik to help you," said Chani as they were walking. "I wanted to get help from the person who's been hunting animals since they were turned," said Jinyoung. "I think Seungsik mentioned that he hunted humans before he joined the pack," he said. "Also, they left for Europe not long after I came to you for this," he said. Chani hummed in response.

"Things are going to be different with you no longer being general huh?" Asked Chani. "Some things have already changed," said Jinyoung. "JR acts a lot like I do, surprisingly enough," he said. "I mean, you said he was related to you, some things pass on through the generations it seems," said Chani. "I guess," hummed Jinyoung.

"How is he taking it?" Asked Chani. "It took some getting used to," said Jinyoung. "The others weren't for it at first," he said. "But after MK got his missions with him and they came back with MK having more respect for him than before," he said. "And when that happened the others started respecting him a bit more," he said. "That's good," said Chani.

 

~



"Things going well for you over there?" Jinyoung asked JR as JR had come for a visit. "Yeah, I'm no longer getting dirty looks from Changyoon and the others," said JR. "They really trusted MK's judgement on me it seems," he said.

"Well," said Jinyoung as he shrugged. "They're still trying to move passed one of their own leaving," he said. "Someone left the pack?" Asked JR. "Yeah," hummed Jinyoung. "It's a touchy subject for them," he said. "Was it their youngest?" Asked JR. Jinyoung nodded. "Ah," hummed JR.

"When are you coming back?" Asked JR. "Really soon actually," said Jinyoung. "I'm at the point where I don't need to worry about my thirst," he said. "I almost never get thirsty, but I usually hunt every couple weeks," he said. JR hummed, nodding.

"How is Dongwoo doing?" Asked Jinyoung. "He's doing fine," said JR. "He wanted to see you actually," he added. "But I told him that you probably weren't ready to see him," he said. "No, I'm not ready to face him just yet," said Jinyoung.

"Why were you mad at him anyway?" Asked JR. "I was ready to die," said Jinyoung. "I understand why he did it though, he didn't want to reveal that the contract was with you," he said. "But I wanted to die at the time," he said. "To atone for my sins I guess," he said.

"I didn't take you for the religious type," said JR. "I'm not," said Jinyoung. "But the guilt has been eating at me for a long time now," he said. JR hummed in response.

 

~



"You know," said Hoetaek as he walked with Jinyoung around the property. "I didn't think you'd be okay with everything after all that's happened," he said. "I've learned to cope," said Jinyoung. "I could've easily just had Yunho or MK kill me as soon as I woke up but," he said, shrugging. Hoetaek nodded.

"Why did you agree to let the others turn you guys into hybrids?" Asked Jinyoung. "Hyojong wasn't for it at first," said Hoetaek. "Same with Yanan but it just seemed easier on us," he said. "They meant to mark us but it ended up turning us which is odd," he said.

"Sometimes you end up getting turned, sometimes you don't," said Jinyoung. "At least, that's what I understand from asking Seungsik," he said. "With everything that's happened so far, this is nothing," he said. Hoetaek hummed in response.

 

~



"Look who finally decides to come back for a visit," said Sunwoo as he opened the door to spot Jinyoung standing on the porch. "Hey there," Jinyoung said, grinning. "Here to finally talk with Dongwoo then?" Asked Sunwoo. "For a little bit," said Jinyoung. "Come on in then," said Sunwoo before letting Jinyoung in, closing the door behind him. "Dongwoo! Jinyoung's here," he called, causing Dongwoo to run downstairs.

"Well," said Dongwoo as he turned to Jinyoung, freezing in his spot. "Let's have a chat," said Jinyoung as he put his hands in his pockets. "Outside then?" Asked Dongwoo. "Up to you," said Jinyoung. Dongwoo headed out the backdoor to sit on the back deck with Jinyoung following after him.

"How have you been?" Asked Jinyoung as he got comfortable, sitting on a bench and leaning back against the deck railing. "Been fine," said Dongwoo as he sat across from Jinyoung. "JR's careful with me," he said. "Making sure I was okay before he had to head out on missions and things," he said. "Where is he now?" Asked Jinyoung. "Out with MK and the others, bonding and such," said Dongwoo. "I see," said Jinyoung.

"Why did you do it?" Asked Jinyoung. "Do what?" Asked Dongwoo as he looked up at the sky. "Have San turn me," said Jinyoung. "Even after learning of why I was ready to die that day," he said. "Other than not revealing where my contract was?" Asked Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "I want to know the real reason," he said.

"Is it weird to say that I didn't want you to die because of that?" Asked Dongwoo. "I wanted you to at least die a heroic death," he said. "Dying that way just didn't sit right with me," he said, turning to Jinyoung.

"Is that how you died before?" Asked Jinyoung. "I don't remember to be honest," said Dongwoo. "I don't remember much about my previous life at all," he said. "But I at least felt like you needed to have a better death than that," he said. Jinyoung hummed in response.

 

~



"Are we on good terms now?" Asked Dongwoo once Jinyoung got ready to go. "I'd say we are," said Jinyoung. "Do you think you'll be ready to return anytime soon?" Asked Dongwoo. "I'll return soon," said Jinyoung. "I just have to finalize a few things," he said. "Let the rest of the information network know of the circumstances, and prepare for a trip back to Poland," he said.

"You're going home for a bit?" Asked Dongwoo. "For a week or so," said Jinyoung. "Then I'll be back," he said. "Have a fun and safe trip," said Dongwoo. "I will, keep JR out of trouble," said Jinyoung. Dongwoo scratched the back of his head. "No problem," he said. Jinyoung nodded, turning and sprinting off.