Chapter 14

The General and His Pet

"Welcome," said Jaehyun when Jinyoung and Dongwoo arrived at Jaehyun's pack house. "Hello," said Jinyoung as he got out of the truck after parking behind a jeep. "Territory checks huh?" Asked Jaehyun. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "Usually Byungchan is on it but Kris asked us to do it," he said.

"No one's stopped here for a territory check," said Jaehyun. "Well, I don't think anyone had a reason to?" Asked Jinyoung. "You usually keep Ithaca closed off," he said. Jaehyun hummed in response.

"Jaehyun, leave them alone will you?" Asked Daniel as he came outside. "It's a normal thing, I know Byungchan stops by when he can," he said. "You've been letting people into the territory without telling me?" Asked Jaehyun as he turned to Daniel.

"I always met Byungchan in the next city," said Daniel. "He's needed as a part of the information network," he said. "I know how much you hate having unannounced visitors but," he said, scratching the back of his head. "What the hell is up with you and keeping Ithaca on lockdown anyway?" He asked. "I'm in my right in doing so," said Jaehyun. "Yes, but you've been keeping important people out," said Daniel.

"You know, not everyone is after Wonpil, or the territory in general," said Jinyoung. "You update Moonbin every few months, and I get information from him," he said. "Kris is the main holder of the information network," he added. "So everything ends up going to him and trickling down to me as I pass it on to everyone I know," he said.

"Speaking of the information network," came a voice, causing everyone to turn to spy Eunki walk into view from behind Jinyoung's truck. "You weren't at the meeting spot so I had to hunt you down," he said, looking at Daniel. "Sorry, Jinyoung arrived," Daniel said with a dismissive shrug.

"It's not even that," said Jaehyun as he eyed Eunki before shrugging it off and shaking his head. "Someone's been catching the humans' attention," he said. "Mark and Jisoo hunt animals, and Taeyang goes with them," he said. "So it's not them," he said. "Isn't Taeyang off with Yuta doing a mission right now?" Asked Daniel. Jaehyun nodded.

"We should take this inside," said Jinyoung. "I believe you have a few questions for me," he said. "Ah, concerning one of our own," said Daniel as he nodded. "We'll take this inside then?" He asked, turning to Jaehyun. Jaehyun nodded. "Come on in," he said, turning and walking back inside with Daniel following after him. Jinyoung, Dongwoo and Eunki follow them inside.

"What do you mean by someone's been catching the humans' attention?" Asked Jinyoung once they sat around the livingroom. "Not sure," said Jaehyun. "But newspapers about missing hikers have been popping up every week," he said. "So I'm keeping Ithaca on an even tighter lock down," he said.

"I can tell you it's not me," said Eunki. "I never hunt in your city, and even then I only hunt one human," he said. "I'm not one for attention," he said. "No vampires come around here often from what I know," he added. "Since Mark, Jisoo and Taeyang occupy the area," he said. "I think it's due to respecting others' territories," he said.

"Where are your vampires anyway?" Asked Jinyoung. "Hunting," said Daniel. "They left just before you got here," he added. "Mark is just as stubborn as Chani is when it comes to sticking to the vegetarian diet," he said, shaking his head in amusement.

 

~



"So," said Jinyoung. "You had a question concerning one of your own," he said. "Seokwoo, or Rowoon as he was known in his last life came back as a dog," said Daniel. "I don't know if he was brought back as a contract or not," he said.

"As far as I'm aware, if he was brought back as a contract, he'd have the smell of what he was in his previous life," said Dongwoo. "What was he in his last life?" He asked. "A vampire," said Daniel.

"Where is he now?" Asked Jinyoung. "Seokwoo! You can come on down now," called Daniel. Seokwoo came downstairs after a few minutes, and Jinyoung, Dongwoo and Eunki turned to look in his direction. "Well?" Asked Seokwoo as he kept his hands in his pants pockets.

"Who marked him?" Asked Eunki as he turned to Daniel. "No one?" Asked Daniel as he blinked. "You're smelling the scent of a vampire?" Asked Jinyoung as he turned to Eunki. "It's the blood I'm smelling," said Eunki as he tried to explain it. "Animal-humans normally have a distinct cross between a human and an animal smell in their blood," he said. "I smell just the vampire, along with the animal smell," he said.

"Do you remember anything about coming back?" Asked Jinyoung. Seokwoo shook his head. "Not particularly no," he said. "Did you have anything on you when you were adopted by your now owners?" Asked Jinyoung. "I don't remember," said Seokwoo. "He didn't come with anything," said Daniel.

"I can't say for sure that he's back via a contract," said Dongwoo. "But from what Eunki said, that may be the case," he said. "Do you have any tattoos or anything on you?" He asked. "On my left shoulder," said Seokwoo as he moved up his shirt sleeve to show them. "Just like Mingi's," hummed Jinyoung.

"Who knows about how to bring someone back using a tattoo?" Asked Daniel. "Other than Seonghwa?" Asked Jinyoung. "No one," he said. "When did you come back?" He asked. "A couple years ago now?" Asked Seokwoo as he shrugged. "Whatever documents they had on using a tattoo as a contract was destroyed," said Jinyoung. "And Seonghwa is the only one who knows how to bring someone back using a tattoo," he said.

"Do you know where Yeosang and Mingi are?" Asked Dongwoo as he turned to Eunki. "Back in Toronto last I checked," said Eunki. "Stopped there to check on Chani a couple days ago and Mingi was at the coffee shop passing on some information," he said. "I can go see if he can come over, if you let me," he said, looking at Jaehyun. Jaehyun nodded. "I'll allow it," he said.

"There's still so many questions I have," said Daniel. "We'll get them answered," said Jinyoung. "But Dongwoo and I won't be here for that," he said. "We'll be leaving within the next day or so," he said. "You got a few more territories to check huh?" Asked Jaehyun. Jinyoung nodded. "Alright," said Jaehyun.