Chapter 5: we are not God

Dear Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Seulgi, there's a 32 week bleeding placenta praevia en route via ambulance." Yeri slams down the phone. "And from what the paramedics say it sounds like she's severely haemorrhaging."

 

"Why now?" Seulgi groans. "It's 15 minutes before the end of my shift."

 

Yeri shrugs. "Babies don't wait for no one."

 

Seulgi shakes her head as she proceeds to call the obstetric consultant, anaesthetist and theatre staff to alert them of what was possibly coming.

 

The ambos arrive shortly after, pushing the gurney through the birth unit doors. It was looking just as Seulgi had imagined. A pregnant woman was lying on the stretcher, clutching her belly and looking as pale as the sheets covering her.

 

"Cho Miyeon. 25 years old. Previous caesarean section 2016. Says she has a low placenta, 32 weeks pregnant. Started bleeding heavily since an hour ago. We found many soaked towels at home and en route she probably lost another 300-400mls. Likely EBL reaching a litre now. Contracting about two in ten. Two lines are in with two bags of fluids running. She's a JW." Seulgi receives a hand over from the ambulance officer.

 

JW. Jehovah's witness.

 

Seulgi hated hearing those two words. In her area of work those two letters were like a death sentence.

 

"Does she have an advanced health directive?"

 

"Yes, here." The paramedic hands over a few pieces paper. 

 

No whole blood or blood components including autologous blood. Consents to derivatives of primary blood components…

 

Seulgi's heart sinks the more she reads.

 

"Minnie, please call theatres and have them prepare cell saver, let them know she is JW. We will have to head to OT soon."

 

"Miyeon? Hi, My name is Seulgi, one of the obstetric doctors. Miyeon, you are bleeding heavily and are going into labour we need to perform a caesarean section immediately, it's the only way that this bleeding will stop. I am sure they have told you in the antenatal clinic that you can not have a l birth with a placenta praevia. I just need to clarify some things. Miyeon, I expect you will bleed a lot more during the operation. We need to transfuse you and I understand that you are a Jehovah's witness, would you consent to a blood transfusion?"

 

"No doctor, anything but that."

 

"Miyeon, listen to me, there is a high chance that you may not make it if we don't give you blood."

 

"No doctor, I can't, it's against my religion."

 

"Would you accept cell salvage? Your own blood that we collect during the operation, filter and give back to you?."

 

"Yes."

 

"Seulgi, theatre three is prepped and ready." Yeri notifies.

 

"Okay, let's go." Seulgi directs and the wardsmen start pushing the bed. "Miyeon, we are going for a caesarean now. I'll notify your next of kin."

 

The woman lifts her hand and wraps it around the doctors forearm squeezing gently.

 

"Dr Seulgi, please…please save my baby."

 

***

 

Joohyun meets Seulgi at the theatre scrubbing bay. Seulgi quickly gives her a rundown of the situation.

 

"I know you are capable Seulgi but I don't want you to feel like you have to do this if you feel out of your depth. I can be primary operator if you would like." Joohyun offers.

 

"Thanks Professor Bae, But I'd like to primary if you don't mind."

 

"Of course."

 

It was times like these that Seulgi felt that she should have never chosen obstetrics and gynaecology. A profession where there were always two lives at stake - both mother and baby.

 

She could save them both but this time the mother had already chosen.

 

Save my baby.

 

The registrar's heart sunk as she opened the abdomen to find multiple thick blood vessels coursing like a maze across the anterior wall of the uterus.

 

"Yeri, call Dr Lee to theatre now for assistance. It's an accreta. Seulgi what did the ultrasound say?" the director asks.

 

"Anterior placenta extending across the os 5cm posteriorly, no evidence of accreta."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter