Chapter 1: a surprising turn

Dear Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All Kang Seulgi wanted right now was to bury herself under a pile of warm blankets and have an early night. The days activities had taken a toll on her. She was up at 5am catching the ferry to mainland Jeju, taking a taxi to Jeju airport, flying to Gimpo airport, then riding the subway to Jongno district. All the while carrying a backpack and dragging her suitcase behind her. Her friend, Seungwan, had offered to pick her up from the airport but she did not want to bother the girl any more than she had already. Her generous, hamster-like, friend had kindly offered the spare room in her apartment to crash in for the next 6 months. This was also the reason why she could not turn down Seungwan’s request to spend the night out, her first night in the city of Seoul. It was so different to back home. Traffic was still heaving at this time of night. Things were so much more louder, busier, rushed. She digs her hands into her jean pockets, lifting her head to gaze up at the skies. Even the sky was different, the stars paling from the effect of skyglow. Her first night away and she was already homesick. The pair stop in front of a lane way where colourful lights and loud blaring music were adding to her headache. Seungwan grabs her hand and drags her into crowd. Seulgi groans, she was so not dressed for the occasion.

 

“Hey you made it.” A tall raven-haired girl hooks an arm around Seungwan’s waist and plants a kiss on the shorter girl’s cheek.

 

“Yes, and this is my childhood friend that I mentioned,” Seungwan gestures towards the newcomer. Seulgi was feeling quite self-conscious in her red plaid flannel shirt, faded jeans and worn converses. She was so underdressed compared to these city-slickers. Her closet only consisted of shirts and jeans. “Kang Seulgi, she’s going to be working with us for the next 6 months.”

 

“Oh, so you will be my senior then.” Sooyoung holds out her hand, “I’m Park Sooyoung, or Joy, one of the first years.”

 

“Ah hi.” Seulgi shakes the younger girl’s hand. “Seungwan has mentioned you a few times.”

 

She receives an elbow in her ribs as Seungwan quietly whispers “It’s Wendy, not Seungwan.” Seulgi keeps forgotting that her dear friend would rather be known as Wendy, it would take some time to get used to.

 

“I hope they were good things.” the taller girl shoots a glance at her girlfriend who had both arms wrapped around her waist.

 

“Of course!” Wendy gives a stiff grin.

 

“Hi, I’m Kim Yerim. You can call me Yeri.”

 

“I’m Moon Byul-yi, Nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you all. Please take care of me.” Seulgi slightly bows.

 

“Any friend of Wendy’s is a friend of ours.” Moonbyul drapes an arm around Seulgi’s shoulders.

 

The night goes by better than Seulgi expects. She easily warms up to Wendy's friends. The cocktails and shots loosen her up and pretty soon she’s feeling buzzed and showing off her moves on the dance floor.

 

“Wow, you’re not bad.” Yeri praises.

 

“Yes, my homegirl is very talented - study, music, dancing, art, singing you name it.” Wendy slurs.

 

“So Seulgi, you got a significant other?” Joy asks as they’re grooving to the music.

 

“No.” Seulgi shakes her head and smiles sheepishly.

 

“Ah, that’s the one thing she’s not good at.” Wendy laughs and Seulgi’s cheeks flush in embarrassment.

 

“Don’t worry, we can all help you there.” Moonbyul winks. “Just tell me your preference and I’ll hook you right up.”

 

“Guys or gals.” Yeri chimes in.

 

“G-girls.” Seulgi says in the softest of voices.

 

“Haha, why so shy country girl? We all bat on the same team. ‘Cept Yeri of course she bats for both sides.”

 

“That way I get the best of both worlds.” The youngest smirks.

 

“Gross, seriously your taste is disgusting.” Moonbyul sticks out her tongue.

 

Seulgi excuses herself to go to the bathroom, narrowly missing Yeri swing a fist, which was meant for Moonbyul, at her. Wendy and Joy were holding both girl's apart and trying to diffuse the situation. She smiles as she sees the drunken scuffle out of the corner of her eye. These girls will make her time away from home a bit more bearable. She exits the bathroom only to catch sight of a disturbing scene that sobers her up.

 

"Bogum, I said stop it!"

 

"Why? I'm your fiancé, we're going to get married soon anyway." the man continues to plant open mouthed kisses on the woman's neck.

 

"I never accepted your proposal." The woman tries to push the larger man off her. 

 

The scene made Seulgi's blood boil. Just despicable.

 

"Excuse me, but I think you should leave the lady alone." Seulgi taps the man on the shoulder.

 

"Mind your own business." The man, who reeks of alcohol, grabs the woman by the hand and begins dragging her outside.

 

"Ow, let me go!"

 

"She said let go." Seulgi takes hold of the woman's other hand. "And you should before I report you for harassment."

 

The man glares at the fox-eyed woman. "I'll let you go today but you can never escape from me." he snarls through clenched teeth and walks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter