Chapter 4: education

Dear Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun’s apartment was modern and cosy. Seulgi could see that the director loved her scents and smells.  Scented candles and reed diffusers were scattered around the place. It seemed the smaller woman also had a thing for soft toys by the way the sofa was overtaken by a family of stuffed bunny rabbits.

 

"Ah, excuse them." Joohyun chuckles shyly while moving the bunnies onto a nearby beanbag. 

 

"They're cute." Seulgi grabs the biggest one and takes a seat on the sofa, hugging the bunny on her lap.

 

"Make yourself at home while I make the hot chocolate."

 

While the director is busy making the sweet beverage Seulgi gets up to look around the apartment. It was an open design. The lounge, kitchen and study area was in one big open space. There were stairs leading up to a loft which Seulgi assumed would be the sleeping area. The younger woman starts studying the photo frames on a nearby bookshelf. A family photo of Joohyun with her parents and sister. A photo of Joohyun with colleagues from their department dressed in Halloween costumes. Plenty of baby photos of the director looking super cute, melting Seulgi's heart - those cheeks looked super squishable. Then there were snaps of her medical school years and what looks like med ball. She could see a few other consultants in the photo as well including Taeyeon and Tiffany. Joohyun looked dazzling in her purple satin dress but what made Seulgi frown what the fact that Joohyun's arm was linked with none other than Dr Park Bogum. She remembered the man from the first encounter with her small boss. She did not like the guy one bit. The junior doctor huffs and subtlety flips the frame so it faces down and goes back to have a seat on the sofa.

 

"I hope you like marshmallows." Joohyun places a steaming hot cup of coco in front of her junior.

 

"Oh thanks, I haven't had this in forever." Seulgi gladly takes a sip, revelling in the rich taste of chocolate.

 

“Oh!” Seulgi gasps as she suddenly feels something tickling her toes.

 

“Miss Daisy, where are your manners?” Joohyun picks up the mini lop, placing the rabbit on her lap.

 

“Ah she’s so cute.” Seulgi squeals and immediately schooshes closer so she’s sitting flush against the director reaching over to pat the bunny on the head.

 

“She’s the queen of this place.” Joohyun wiggles the rabbit's ears up and down.

 

Hearing all the commotion a curious patchy grey and white ball of fluff hops over to join the party.

 

“Gah! How many do you have?!?” Seulgi picks up the newcomer that was sniffing at her toes inquisitively. “I miss animals so much!” The younger woman hugs the fluffball to her chest.

 

“They’re all going to come hopping out now.” the director looks over her shoulder.

 

Seulgi eyes follow the directors gaze expecting an army of bunnies to come hopping out.

 

“Just joking, two is more than I can handle. Isn’t that right Miss Daisy and Mr Thumper?”

 

Joohyun chuckles seeing how cute Seulgi was rubbing noses with the bunny. She could see from Thumper’s face that he was not amused.

 

“I have a lot of animals back home. Well, my parents do on the ranch. Horses, goats, sheep, ducks, cats, dogs, llamas but never rabbits. Mind you there are wild ones that run around on the fields. Did you know that…”

 

The older woman smiles, leaning her head against her hand propped up by her elbow, watching the younger talk animatedly about her hometown. She could listen to the stories all day. How she wished she had such a happy and carefree childhood like Seulgi had.

 

“Whoops, sorry I got carried away.” Seulgi realises she's talked too much.

 

"No, not at all. You sound like you miss home."

 

"I do."

 

"Well, maybe we can have a weekend trip sometime? Remember you promised to take me to meet Pepper."

 

"Oh yes, Pepper will love you." Seulgi bounces up and down in excitement.

 

Joohyun could not believe the woman in front of her was a full grown adult. Seulgi seemed to be a child at heart. Her upbringing in such an environment was able to protect her innocence. The younger woman's hair was sticking messily out in different directions reminding the director of a lion cub.

 

"You look like a baby lion." Joohyun chuckles and reaches over to tuck some loose strands of hair behind Seulgi's ear.

 

Seulgi's body immediately freezes as the directors touch sends activates every nerve in her body. Seulgi's heart was pounding against her ribcage as she looks shyly into the directors eyes.

 

She's so pretty.

 

"Tell me why did you choose obstetrics and gynaecology?" Joohyun smiles lazily.

 

"You're going to laugh if I tell you." Seulgi shakes her head.

 

"We won't judge right Miss Daisy?"

 

"Well. Um…it was all because of a Korean drama I watched while in medical school."

 

"No way, the obstetrics and gynaecology doctors one?"

 

"Yes, that one!"

 

"That was so inaccurate."

 

"I know but at the time I didn't know any better."

 

They continue talking about everything and nothing until a message on Seulgi's phone makes her realise how late it actually is.

 

"I better get going, Wendy is panicking that I'm not back home." Seulgi stands up.

 

"Wendy?"

 

"Yes, she's my best friend."

 

Joohyun frowns sceptically at Seulgi's answer. The younger realises

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter