Chapter 3: she saves the day

Dear Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun spins around in her chair, flipping though Seulgi’s CV while she waits for the woman to arrive. She was due to take the new doctor around the hospital for an orientation after lunch.

 

“Hankook Hospital.” Joohyun mutters to herself. She browses through the registrars' list of achievements and publications, eyebrows rising at the number of articles the trainee had published. “Not bad Kang Seulgi, not bad at all.”

 

“Yes, I agree, she’s not bad at all.” A voice interrupts her thoughts.

 

“I meant her CV.” Joohyun waves the papers in front of Tiffany’s face.

 

“But this ain’t bad either.” Tiffany points to Seulgi’s photo on the papers.

 

“You’re spending too much time with Taeyeon and now you’re turning into her.”

 

“Hey, only I can make fun of my wife.” Tiffany lightly slaps the director on the shoulder. ”But seriously Joohyun you really need to give this relationship thing a serious thou-, geez, speak of the devil." Tiffany scoffs as she reads the name flashing on Joohyun's phone.

 

Park Bogum.

 

"Why do you hate him so much?" Joohyun reads the message.

 

"I don't hate him, he just irritates me...Plus he’s probably slept with half of the female staff of this hospital. Just gross." Tiffany shudders.

 

"We're just good friends." Joohyun sighs. "He’s helped my family and me so much over the years since medical school."

 

The Parks were one of the major investors of Bae medical supplies and Bogum was a great study buddy when they were both still in medical school. At one point in time Joohyun could imagine a future with the man. However, he had changed drastically over the years with wealth and status getting to his head.

 

"Well your parents are already getting them wedding invitations printed. And for your information I will most definitely not be the only one who will be saying NAY to this abominable union!"

 

It was true that Joohyun's parents were very fond of the sweet-talking, handsome, plastic surgeon. Their families often gathered for dinner and the elders were always trying to set their children up much to Joohyun's chagrin.

 

"He's asking me to be his plus one to the hospital gala." Joohyun reads the message.

 

“Tell him you already made plans.”

 

“I can’t, my parents are sponsors and they’ll expect me to be there.”

 

“This is why you need to get into a relationship stat so you can get him off your tail.”

 

A knock on the door ends their conversation.

 

“Professor Bae? It’s me Seulgi.”

 

“I’ll be out soon.” Joohyun answers back. “If only things were that easy Tiffany.” She sighs. “You’d best be off to clinic or you’ll be late.”

 

***

 

“So this is the birthing unit. My favourite place. We have 10 birthing rooms. 5000 deliveries a year.” Joohyun was showing Seulgi around the hospital.

 

Seulgi was still in disbelief that this small mighty woman was older than her, had completed her training and was also director of the whole department. She had achieved everything that Seulgi had ever wished for. The young doctor was all heart-eyes, as if she was looking at her favourite idol. 

 

Keep cool, calm and collected Kang Seulgi! She tried hard not to fan girl. 

 

“You travelled quite far to get here no? All the way from Hankook hospital?”

 

“Ah yes, I just got here yesterday.”

 

“And then went clubbing straight away that night?” Joohyun was talking casually, as if they were friends still sitting on the park bench sharing drinks.

 

“My friend dragged me out. Do you know Wen-"

 

“P-professor Bae.” A young woman runs up to them, looking out of breath.

 

“Oh Minnie, what’s wrong?”

 

“Professor Bae, there’s an unstable ruptured ectopic in ED, Professor Gong and Dr Sumni are already scrubbed for a torsion.” The resident says. “We were going to take her to theatre next but now her blood pressure is dropping and she’s tachycardic.”

 

“Alright, I’ll call Sunny to open another theatre, tell ED to prep the patient and bring her theatre immediately. Seulgi, let’s go.”

 

As the two were scrubbing a fuming male stormed into the operating theatre.

 

“Professor Bae, how dare you interfere with my surgeries!”

 

“Professor Gong, that was not my intention. The resident told me you were scrubbed in for another case and this patient became haemodynamically unstable while waiting in ED.”

 

“Hmmph, well I’ve finished that case so I will take it from here.” The man began to open a set of gown and gloves for himself.

 

“Nurse, change the set up to open.” He shouts.

 

“No, please leave it as it is.”

 

“Professor Bae, you just said you were not going to interfere!”

 

“I am doing this in the patient’s best interest and I am not going to let you perform a laparotomy on her.” Joohyun snaps on her gloves.

 

“She’s bleeding out, you’re not going to see anything laparoscopically!”

 

“Seulgi, please go and prep.” Joohyun gestures for Seulgi to enter the operating theatre leaving the two professors alone in the scrubbing room. “She is a young girl, do you not care what it will mean for her if she wakes up with a large scar across her abdomen?! If I can’t do it then I’ll hand over to let you open her, but I’m not letti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter