Chapter 2: It's an emergency!

Dear Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their shy and awkward morning greetings, thank goodness they were both still fully clothed, Joohyun apologises for the intrusion and thanks Seulgi for letting her spend the night. Joohyun was surprised to find that they both lived in the same apartment complex, except her luxurious apartment was situated on rooftop penthouse. Of course, she did not privy that information to Seulgi, since she had only known the other woman for less than a day. It was fortunate that the close proximity of their apartments allowed Joohyun to race home and freshen up just in time for work. The woman was not keen to go to work today though, not because she was still feeling effects of the alcohol but because it would be her first day in her new post.

 

Professor Bae Joohyun had just been newly appointed as the director of obstetrics and gynaecology at Seoul National University Hospital. She was still very uncomfortable with the thought, there was much to live up to. Professor Kwon, the former director and also her mentor, had nominated her for the position and she just could not decline. Being the youngest consultant in the department, she felt that accepting the position was disrespectful to her seniors.

 

"Taeyeon, Tiffany!" Joohyun parks her car and quickens her pace to catch up to her colleagues. The married couple worked in the same department as her and were her good friends.

 

"Oh hey!" Tiffany waves.

 

"Good morning dearest Director Bae." Taeyeon grins.

 

Joohyun shakes her head in denial. "Please don't. I am so not ready for this." 

 

Tiffany squeezes the woman's shoulder in encouragement. "Nonsense, we all voted for you because we know you're most suited for the job."

 

"You all voted for me because you just didn't want to do the job even though I specifically told you to vote for Doctor Gong." Joohyun grumbles.

 

"Don’t be silly." Tiffany retorts. Although it was partially true, with being deputy director as well as ITP coordinator, Tiffany knew exactly how tough a job it was and she could not even begin to imagine the responsibilities of being director. However, no one could deny how effective and efficient Joohyun was. The woman possessed great leadership qualities and thus won the department election by a unanimous landslide.

 

“Hey, I’d rather you than that old coot any day,” Taeyeon was referring to doctor Gong, who had been working at the hospital the longest and was also the oldest consultant on the team. Needless to say, the man wasn’t very happy when it was announced that Joohyun, who was in his own words "still wet behind the ears", was chosen to be the new director. A typical patriotic male who just could not accept a female to be his superior.

 

Joohyun puffs up her cheeks and frowns. "I still think he would do a better job than me, he has way more experience."

 

“Enough with the modesty. Your skills are way better than him. Besides, the old man still practices with techniques he learnt in the dark ages. Hasn’t he heard of modern medicine?”

 

Joohyun sighs, Taeyeon did have a point there. There was many a time when Joohyun did not agree with the old doctor's methods of treatment however, due to his age and many years of practice, she politely chose not to voice her opinions, unless of course patient safety was at stake.

 

“Shh, Tae don't say it too loudly.” Tiffany puts her finger up to her wife's lips. Taeyeon smiles and kisses it making Tiffany roll her eyes.

 

“Anyway, I had a sneak peak at the CVs of the new registrars and some are quite...aesthetically pleasing.”

 

"Tae, tell me you did not sneak into my office and look at the files on my desk."

 

"Not at all. No sneaking for me. I just waltzed in. Ain't no one going to stop me since I am your wife." Taeyeon puffs out her chest proudly.

 

“Tiffany, I don't know how you put up with her and why the hell you married her." Joohyun shakes her head.

 

"Yeah, sometimes I do question my life choices…But I'm stuck now 'cause of the kids." Joohyun smiles, she could see how much love was pouring out of Tiffany's eyes for her wife even though her words were saying otherwise. She hoped she could find someone to love and some who would love her the way Taeyeon and Tiffany did.

 

"But babe, that's what I do. I need to check my specimens out so I can make beautiful babies."

 

"Eww. Kim Taeyeon, please, that is enough. Come Joohyun let's leave her behind."

 

"Hey, how dare you leave me! I am the Goddess of fertility. I am the mother to your children!"

 

Tiffany and Joohyun scuttle away in embarrassment, leaving the head of reproductive endocrinology and infertility alone in the basement carpark.

 

***

 

The city of Seoul looked vastly different during the day compared to last night. Seulgi took in the sights of Seoul as she cycled down the footpath. The country girl did not own a driver's license, let alone a car. Her lifestyle back home meant she never needed one. She used to live within walking distance to the hospital and if she ever needed to go anywhere her trusty little orange scooter would do the trick. Thankfully, Seungwan had a bike to spare which cut the thirty minute walk down to a fifteen minute bike ride. The streets were already so busy early in the morning, she was grateful the bike allowed her to dodge the morning traffic. She arrives at her workplace with a few minutes to spare. Fastening a chain lock around the bike she secures it to the bike rack located in the staff carpark. Slinging her backpack over her right shoulder she makes her way into what would be her workplace for the next 6 months - Seoul National University Hospital.

 

Seulgi waits patiently in front of the elevator, pressing for level two once she got on. Two other people also caught the same lift as her, the woman looking heavily pregnant and quite uncomfortable.

 

“Just breathe honey.” The man encourages the woman, who Seulgi assumes to be his wife, she’s got one hand holding the railing and another around the mans shoulders for support. “Arghh God!” He groans as the woman pulls on his hair when she feels a contraction.

 

"I need to sit, I need to sit, my legs feel weak." Her legs give way and she is slowly lowered to the floor by her partner.

 

"Miss are you okay?" Seulgi kneels down next to the woman.

 

 “S-something's wrong." The woman clutches her belly. "This doesn't feel like when I had Haejin and Yoojin. It's much more painful."

 

"Miss, I'm a doctor. Would you mind if I examine your belly?"

 

“Ahhhh.” The woman groans.

 

"Describe the pain to me." the fox-eyed doctor places her hand on the woman's abdomen.

 

"Ahh, stop, stop! It hurts when you touch." tears stream down the woman's face.

 

"Sorry Miss, I'll be more gentle but I need to feel to know what is going on. Is the pain constant?"

 

"Yes, yes." The woman nods, perspiration dotting her forehead. "I can't, I can't do this anymore doctor. God save me!"

 

Suddenly, the floor was painted red. Seulgi realises the woman's waters have broken and the heavily blood stained liquor confirms her suspicions of what was going on.

 

She's having an abruption.

 

The doors to the lift open and they are met a few people donning white coats.

 

"Call for help. I thinks she having an abruption!" Seulgi commands.

 

***

 

Joohyun casually

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter