Her Smile

Her Smile, His Everything

 

The idol tailed closely behind the fuming blonde down the hallway to the fashion designer’s office.

“Stop following me, Taeyeon!” she groaned, as she entered her office.

Taeyeon followed. “Listen to me just this once. Don’t collaborate with YG, just don’t. They’re trouble. Just because Tyler knows of them doesn’t mean he actually knows them.” he let out, rubbing the back of his neck vigorously. “Yah! You cannot just walk away when you don’t like where this conversation is go-!“

Jessica spun on her heels to face him, causing the idol to stop abruptly, his eyes ready to pop out because of her sudden closeness. They were mere inches apart. He immediately took a step back. “Why? That’s exactly what you did.” she viciously spat

“I- I -”

“What is it this time, Taeyeon?”

Jessica saw him squint his eyes. She hated when he would do so. She found it such a silly habit; she rolled her eyes.

“That was months ago, Jessica. I said I was sorry. I needed- I needed time to think.”

She let out a scoff, loud enough for Taeyeon to react.

“What was I supposed to do, huh?” he challenged her, “He was always with you!”

“He had to be with me! I told you time and time again he’s an investor for my fashion line.”

“Right. And now, your boyfriend,” It was his turn to scoff. “You expect me to believe that he was just an investor?”

Taeyeon immediately regretting what he said after noticing the solemnness grow on his ex’s face. “You really didn’t trust me, huh?” she whispered.

When Taeyeon didn’t say anything, she spat, “There’s the door, Taeyeon. You know your way out.”

“Jessica“

“If I told you I cheated on you with Tyler, which I didn’t,” she emphasized, “Would that put you at ease? Is that what you want to hear?”

Taeyeon’s mouth fell wide open, but no words were coming out. He squinted his eyes once more before closing his mouth.

“That’s what I thought. Believe whatever you want to believe, Taeyeon. I’m done.”

“Jessi-“

The only response was a loud slam of the door. What just happened? He just wanted to protect her from the controversies YG came with. And why did all their “conversations” lead to fights about that one day? That one day where he made the biggest mistake of his life.

He blinked a couple of times, noticing that he was all by himself in her office. He was awfully bad at getting his point across. He trusted her! It’s just, well, he was scared of losing her to someone who deserved her more than he did. Or so he thought. He shook his head before running after his ex.

He opened the door, noticing Jessica walking down the well-lit hallway. He ran after the fashion designer, grabbing her arm to spin the latter around, saying her name in the process. Shock and anger were written all over Jessica’s face before yanking her hand away from his grip.

“I told you I’m done, Tae-“

“Break up with Tyler,” he interrupted, taking a step closer towards her.

Jessica took a step back instinctively only to find her back up against the hallway walls. When she said nothing in return, Taeyeon continued, “Please break up with him.”

fell wide open at his words, but quickly recomposed herself and confronted him. “What the hell are you talking about, Taeyeon?” she spat, trying to get pass him.

He stretched out his right hand abruptly to stop her, “I still love you, Jessica.” He confessed quietly, but loud enough for her to hear.

The blonde shook her head with vigor as her eyes began to brim with tears.

“No, you don’t. You don’t even trust me.” she corrected him, successfully running past him now as he stood still in shock over her answer.

“But I do.” He reiterated; Jessica’s back turned toward him. “You still love me too Jessica. I know you do.”

She took a shaky breath as she blinked back the tiny droplets that threatened to fall. No, he did not get to do this! She marched back over to where he stood, her hands now on her hips and fire in her eyes.

“Stop pretending like you still know me, Taeyeon.” She hissed at him, jabbing her index finger into his chest as she went. “We haven’t had a real conversation in months. You don’t know squat about me, not anymore.”

Only the sound of her heavy breathing could be heard until Taeyeon decided to speak up

“That hurts,” he informed her, grabbing the hand that jabbed him to hold her gaze, “Both physically and emotionally.”

He squinted his eyes out of habit, “No one will ever know you better than I do Jessica, no matter the circumstance. And you know that.”

She wrenched her hand out of his grasp and made sure he knew, “You’re wrong, Taeyeon. Tyler understands me in ways you never will. He’s been there for me when you weren’t, Taeyeon. He was there when I needed you most.. So tell me, how could I possibly still be in love with you when I love him?”

“Sica,” he murmured, reaching out for her again, an earnest look in his eyes.

She stumbled slightly as she stepped away from him as a response. She needed to get away from him, from everything that he was promising her. “Goodbye, Taeyeon.”

No, he couldn’t lose her again.

“You have six smiles,” he whispered from behind her, causing her to pause in her steps.

She did not, however, turn around to address him. Jessica stayed precisely where she was. She knew looking at him would mean losing control of her emotions again and Jessica had enough of not being in control for one day.

“You have six smiles, Sooyeon,” he repeated, louder this time, taking a deep breath before he elaborated, “One when something really makes you laugh. One when you’ve done something to make your parents and Soojung proud. One for Soojung alone. One when you’re uncomfortable or just trying to be polite. One when you win an argument or when you get your way. And one, when you think someone’s acting like a total idiot. That last one? That last one’s reserved for me; I get that one a lot”

Jessica instantly clasped her hand over when she realized that the last one, he had just mentioned, was on her face this very moment.

“You also have a habit of covering your smiles with your hand but that’s not the point.” He gingerly chuckled at his own humor before clearing his throat.

“Does Tyler know about your smiles, Jessica?” he challenged her, although he made no move to stop her from leaving. “Well, does he?”

Time seemed to stand still for a moment.

“I have to go,” Jessica broke the unbearable silence, disappearing off into the distance.

 

-

 

“Tell me about my smiles, Tyler” She let out, while her boyfriend, too busy marking her exposed neck with wet kisses. She called his name once more, sharper this time.

The latter pulled back and stared at her blankly upon hearing her simple request. “What does that even mean, Jessi?” he chuckled. He dove into her neck once again.

“How many smiles do I have?” she asked, this time pushing Tyler off of her. She heard her boyfriend groan when she sat against the head board.

“Uh, I don’t know? Two?” He spills, now sitting across his girlfriend.

“Two?”

Tyler nodded. “Yeah, I mean you smile with your teeth, but most of the time you smile without showing them.”

Jessica disappointingly stared at him before nodding.

“Why do you ask?” Tyler leans in to capture her lips, however, Jessica stops him.

“I like them both, Jessi.” He informs her once he notices her lack of interest.

Jessica shakes her head. “I have to go,” she says, getting off the bed and making her way to the door.

Tyler groaned, “What did I say this time?” Confusion evident on his face.

 

-

 

After overlooking each performing group’s fashion, Jessica noticed a manager frantically running around backstage looking for the Dream Concert director.

She furrowed her eyes when she noticed it was Taeyeon’s manager. She called his name, catching his attention.

“Jessica, it’s been so long. How are you?” he bowed before smiling at the blonde. She noticed how out of breath the latter was.

She greeted him with a smiled before asking, “Is everything okay, Yul?” her hand was holding the manager’s arm to put him at ease.

“It-it’s Taeyeon.” The mention of the name immediately got Jessica’s attention. “He’s refusing to perform in today’s concert. I need to let Mr. Kwon know.” He hesitated, “This whole week, Taeyeon’s been canceling schedules left and right. He’s been so difficult to work with lately.”

She remembers Twice talking about how quiet and heartbroken their senior seemed during their final outfit check. She remembers Nayeon telling her members, ‘It seems like he’s going through a break up.’

“Where is he?” was the only thing Jessica said.

She made her way towards to idol’s dressing room after informing Yul to not worry and that she had everything under control.

Taeyeon heard a knock on his door before it slowly opened.

“What are you doing here, Jessica?” Taeyeon questioned before she could get a word. He was sitting on one of the chairs facing the vanity mirror. “If you’re here to try and get me to go out there and perform tonight, you’re wasting your time. I realized I’m not much of a fan performing at a concert ran by the boyfriend of the girl I’m in love with.”

Jessica inwardly chuckled. He was such a baby.

“He’s just wanting to make a difference, Taeyeon. He loves to make people’s dreams come true, we both know that.” she teased, speaking to him through the dressing mirror.

“Gee, thanks Sica,” he commented sarcastically, not having caught on to her humorous tone. She remained silent as she watched him stand up to make his way across the room, away from Jessica. “Like rejecting me wasn’t enough. Now you have to back him up and rub your perfect relationship with Tyler in my face too?”

There it was again. She could feel her ‘you’re an idiot’ smile forming on her face. Yes, she did reject him, but she didn’t have the courage to say what she had wanted to stay since their previous encounter.

Now was different.

“You have five smiles.”

She sees Taeyeon wear a confused frown, before repeating, “You have five smiles, Taeyeon,” taking another step towards him with every smile that she listed. “One when someone compliments you. One when you’re singing or just doing something you love. One when you’re with your fans. One when you’re trying to hide the fact that you have absolutely no idea what’s going on or what someone’s saying. I get that one a lot. And one… when you’re looking at me.”

Taeyeon’s hands were now on her waist, Jessica’s arms looped around his neck, and his smile? Well, he was looking at her, just as she mentioned.

“Does this mean you broke up with Tyler?” he clarified, his words a mere whisper against her lips, having gotten close.

She nodded ever so slightly, their noses brushing lightly against each other.

Before he could say much else, she captured his lips with hers and Taeyeon lost himself in her gentle touch. Their kisses became more and more heated, as she found herself with her back up against the vanity dresser, her legs wrapped around his waist and her hands tangled in his hair. When Jessica finally remembered Taeyeon had a concert to get ready for, she pulled away from him, her gasping for air and Taeyeon groaning in frustration. She laughed when he took note of the extremely disappointed look on his face.

“We can continue this after your performance,” she promised him, wiping some lip gloss from the corner of his mouth with her thumb.

“Fine” he agreed, as he grabbed her hand that was cupping his cheek to kiss it. “So, does Tyler know about your smiles?” he teased.

Jessica slapped his arm with her other hand as she quickly walked away from him. However, Taeyeon immediately pulled her back.

“What’d he say when you asked him?” he pestered, she was now in his arms.

She only shook her head, embarrassment written clearly on her face. Taeyeon chuckled, finding her embarrassment cute. He nudged her to tell him the answer.

“He said I have 2 smiles. One with my teeth showing and the other, well not..”

Taeyeon let out an ahjusshi laugh, his head flinging back in the process. He immediately felt his girl hit his chest. He continued to laugh as he felt her tiny hands against him.

“You mean your gummy smile?” His grip around her waist tightened when he felt her trying to push him away.

“Taeyeon!”

“What?” he was smiling now, chin dimple and everything.

“You’re the worst.” She poked at his dimple on the left side of his chin.

He let out another chuckle. “I love your gummy smile. I love-” He groans, “I love all your smiles, I love your laugh - especially when one eye cutely disappears, almost like a wink. I especially love-”

Taeyeon then felt soft lips on his. Before he could respond to the kiss, she pulled away.

“-when you do that” he completed his sentence, still in daze. He watched her in pure love as a shy smile formed on Jessica’s lips. God, he loved her. He let out a sigh, “I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me most. I’m sorry that I pushed you away. I’m sorry that I didn’t trust you. I was insecure, I felt like I didn’t deserve you. Seeing you with him got the best of me. I’m so sorry, Sooyeon.”

Jessica shook her head, “You deserve all of me, Taeyeon. I mean it.”

“I know that now.” He said, his forehead now against hers.

“I love you.” She responded; a new smile grew on her face

The same smile made its way to Taeyeon’s - the fifth smile that she had mentioned. “I love you more, Sooyeon,” he said against her lips.

“Your fans are waiting.” She tilted her head towards the door.

“Right” he let out a chuckle, before looking around the dressing room. “I need to change. A little help? Should I wear something from Blanc and Eclare?” he suggested while wiggling his eyebrows.

“Dispatch is going to start speculating, Taengoo. You’ve been wearing Blanc and Eclare everywhere you go” she chuckled.

“So, you’ve noticed.” he winked at her, causing the girl to blush. “Can’t help it, I find the CEO gorgeous.” Taeyeon leaned over to steal a kiss, her blush one tint darker.

Taeyeon let out a chuckle. “I don’t care if they catch us, Jessica. I love you and I want the world to know that. I want you to know that.”

Jessica responded by throwing herself onto her boyfriend, rewarding him with a deep kiss.

Their kiss was cut short with the pounding on the door from his manager telling the idol that he is needed on stage in 10 minutes.

Jessica chuckled when she saw her boyfriend’s disappointed face once again. She quickly helped him get dress for his solo stage performance, of course, wearing his favorite brand.

“I’ll see you after the concert, love?”

Jessica shyly nodded before pulling the idol in. Taeyeon smiled as he felt her open lips on his and then slowly let them shut.

Taeyeon kissed her once more because well, he had another minute to spare.


Yeah, I still ship our Taengsic. Happy 0922 Day, everyone. 

I would love to see how everyone is doing. 

Love,

22