Chapter 2

from here

The trip to the hospital over and over again has been normal for Jimin ever since he was a kid, accompanying Taehyung with his mom and dad for frequent check-ups due to his asthma. So, another visit to the hospital was normal to Jimin which it shouldn’t be, should never be and he felt bad for Taehyung; he felt sad for his best friend which is why he has been there for him, there for him through his attacks and check-ups.

“You do remember you should not be cleaning anything at all, right? There are a lot of dust so it… wait for it… it triggers your asthma, Tae” Jimin scolded Taehyung, this matter should not be made light, this was a serious matter and it felt like Taehyung was not even scared of the consequences, it agitated Jimin because he was here feeling panicked and on edge because of Taehyung’s asthma attack early in the morning. Taehyung’s mom had tended to Taehyung once Jimin arrived at their home which was two blocks away from them; he dashed right away to their home as soon as Taehyung’s mom called for him.

There they were again, at the hospital, sitting and waiting at the rows of chairs at the hospital lobby; waiting for their turn. Jimin felt Taehyung freeze in his place, Jimin wondered and was worried over his best friend which is why he glanced at Taehyung in worry; “What’s wrong? You all right, Taehyungie?” Jimin worriedly asked, checking his best friend up and down, trying to check if there was something off with his best friend.

Taehyung nodded and calmed down, “Is that…” he trailed, eyes focused on the figure at the information desk. Jimin followed Taehyung’s gaze and saw a very familiar figure in front of them. There was Jeongguk once again, standing and talking to the person assigned at the information desk. Jimin grew curious but maybe it was just another coincidence, right? Jeongguk was just randomly here at a random time which coincidentally Jimin and Taehyung were also there. Jeongguk nodded at the person and made his way down the hall towards the doctor’s office.

“He isn’t with Yoongi this time” Taehyung spoke after a minute of silence, Jimin was still trying to figure the kid out, he was just too mysterious and it made Jimin want to know Jeongguk more ever since their encounter at the rooftop. The kid was unpredictable and a mystery.

“Maybe it isn’t that serious, right?” Jimin asked Taehyung as he was also trying to reassure himself. Taehyung nodded in agreement, “I bet it is nothing too serious, maybe a just a fever” Taehyung replied, they were playing guess and making assumptions on why the younger was here at the hospital for the second time or maybe it wasn’t the second time around for all they know.

“I mean, you both are basically friends now, right?” Taehyung asked, head tilting to Jimin’s direction. Jimin choked in surprise, eye furrowed in confusion upon hearing Taehyung’s comment.

“That encounter we had at the rooftop did not seal the deal of us being friends, Tae” Jimin replied, looking at the hall where Jeongguk disappeared to minutes ago. It wasn’t that serious at all, people visit hospitals all the time for general check-ups, he was not worried about a specific kid at all, rather he was curious. Just curious.

“You could still ask the kid, though.  You won’t lose anything if you just ask him about it, just say you are worried about him as a student body president, that usually works” Taehyung suggested, winking at Jimin who just rolled his eyes. No, he isn’t getting involved in his schoolmate’s personal issues.

Jeongguk had dreaded the day, he woke up tired and with a migraine. This wasn’t normal yet in his case, it was actually normal as ed up as it sounds. He tossed and his bed, trying to fight the wrenching pain in his head, like someone was drilling on his skull and trying to crack it open. Clutching his head and squeezing his eyes were his only resort, trying to wish the pain to disappear, he was sick of it.

Yoongi woke up hearing sniffs and muffled groans that immediately made Yoongi’s motors function and without a second he was already beside Jeongguk, he was caressing the kid and whispering words of comfort but it wasn’t effective in this case. Jeongguk now had tears in his eyes, eyes spilled with tears as he furrowed his eyebrows in pain, “Y-yoo..yoong..gi” he stuttered, couldn’t even coherent a proper word.

It pains Yoongi seeing Jeongguk in this situation, usually, it was a little migraine here and there which disappears with a single tablet but Yoongi saw this was much worse than it usually is. Yoongi caressed Jeongguk’s hair and trying to wipe off the beads of sweat trailing down his forehead, “I-..it h..hurts” Jeongguk whimpered, Yoongi was angry at nothing in particular more so at himself for being unable to help the younger one other than consoling him.

Jeongguk took his medicine once he felt the stinging feeling in his head, he immediately swallowed the tablet yet it still did not recede, it was honestly so painful he would wish he could just die or faint on the spot. He felt like vomiting and his head pounding, this wasn’t his day obviously. Jeongguk fainted after the dreadful minutes of suffering; he could not take the pain any longer which resulted to him fainting like a frail little boy. Yoongi hiccupped, tears spilling from his own eyes as he witnessed his best friend slash brother faint on his bed, he looked weaker than usual, cheeks sunken and the shadows under his eyes were evident.

Once Jeongguk woke up, he already planned on going straight to the hospital; he does not even have the right state of mind to show up to class. Yoongi, on the other hand, was having a dilemma, he hated being the Organizing club president sometimes, the responsibilities he have was heavily weighing on his shoulder, he really wanted to just say it and accompany Jeongguk to the hospital but Jeongguk refused to do so, he wanted the older one to focus on his school responsibilities since it was already his last year in senior high, “You can accompany me anytime, but for now, just go. I’ll be fine” Jeongguk said, the pain seems to have receded and he was very much thankful for that, truly and honestly so thankful that once he woke up awhile ago, he closed his eyes then clasped his hands together, thanking the gods that he was able to see another day.

That was when Jimin and Taehyung saw Jeongguk at the hospital; it was no secret to everyone in the hospital that Jeongguk was a special patient, he was basically visiting every single day; getting check-ups and more check-ups every single day. They felt sad for the child but it’s not like they could help him, they just gave him the warmest smile to at least make the kid feel a tad better.

The same day at school, Jimin went to the rooftop to at least see if Jeongguk was there but to his luck, he wasn’t. He tried searching for the cafeteria, the school gymnasium or the field but nay, he wasn’t in every area. With his power as a student body president, he had the authority to access every student’s daily attendance, he scanned through the files and discovered the reason why Jeongguk was neither in the rooftop, cafeteria, gymnasium or field, and it was because he was not even at school.

Absent. A bold red mark next to his name for the current date, he wasn’t at school because he was indeed absent.  Jimin tried to shake his thoughts off his mind, it was normal for students to be absent at school so why was he worried over this new kid with an Okinawan accent?

The next day had no traces of Jeongguk, either. Jimin’s chest churned, he tried to shake the feeling off but it was stuck in his mind. His eyes would drift back to the rooftop, two encounters with the kid and now he’s already worried about him. That’s what a Student Body President would do, right? He worries for all of the students, that is his job and his responsibility.

It bothered Jimin’s mind all throughout the day, he could not get his mind off of what might happen to Jeongguk. What if his condition was really that critical? He is a new kid, Jimin, maybe that is why.

“Just say you are worried sick over him and go, Jimin” Taehyung teased, they were chilling at Taehyung’s backyard, trying to get as much sunlight they can get despite the dull sky above. Jimin was trying to distract himself by playing on the grass, trying to let Taehyung’s words pass right from one ear through the other. He flicked the grass one by one, he was distracted for a moment but his attention drifted back to Taehyung’s words once the latter spoke again, “It’s unusual of you to be caring about someone, though. You usually don’t care about the students at school which is ironic since you are the student body president”

Jimin rolled his eyes, attention fully at Taehyung now. He stared at his best friend intently, trying to prove a point that he wasn’t actually worried about the new kid, “I was just curious about his absences. That stains your record at school, you know? Even though you get full 100% on your grades yet you have a lot of absences, you’d repeat the same year again” Jimin explained, which was actually the truth but it felt like he was trying to cover his true intentions but he was sure he was just curious.

Taehyung snickered at Jimin’s explanation, seemed like there was an inside joke Jimin was not able to catch up, “Exactly, you don’t usually think about students’ attendance, so why is Jeongguk a little bit different?” Taehyung eagerly asked, pushing and pushing Jimin more to the edge to drive him to tell the truth.

Jimin had enough of the eyebrow wiggles and Taehyung’s sly smirk, “Let’s just drop it, okay? I am just curious at the kid. Is that a crime, Tae?” he flatly asked, earning Taehyung to cut his teasing short and nodded, “Yes, I apologize. I was pushing you again huh?”

Jimin nodded yet gave his best friend a soft smile, “Now, let’s just continue about your own theory of the evolution of the butterfly” he giggled.

The next day was another guessing game for Jimin; would he be here or not? Is he going to show up or not? He had no time roving from classes to classes since he was too busy with his quizzes and projects, remember that he is still a student before he’s a student body president. Time went quicker when one is busy with their review and classes and without knowing, it was already time for students to dash and make their way to the cafeteria.

Jimin spotted Yoongi by the director’s office but as soon as he took two steps towards the older one, Yoongi disappeared inside the director’s office, it seemed like Yoongi was much busier compared to him, he was after all the organizer of all events in the campus, already planning the programs and setups for the school festival on the second term.

Doing his usual routine, he grabbed another sandwich in the vending machine and got himself another juice box. He climbed through the stairs to the rooftop, half expecting if the younger one would be there or not. Impossible, how would he be up there in the cold? I’d probably be alone again in the rooftop, which is a good thing.

He twisted the knob and was welcomed by the blowing cold wind on his face, Jimin’s teeth clattered for a second but as soon as he adjusted from the cold, he took a step forward and closed the door behind him. The wind wasn’t that strong today, it was mild and tolerable; not the kind of wind the other time that got his eyes wet and nose running. The ground was still sprawled with petals, the maintenance really hasn’t had the time to clean all the petals on the rooftop but who could clean all these up when they’re beautifully sprawled on the ground?

Jimin didn’t want to look around and disappoint himself, so he decided to lean on the fence and enjoy the sight below. More students came out on the field and ate their lunches there than in the cafeteria which usually is filled with people and it was too much commotion and noise that is why Jimin loved to have his own peace and quiet at a place like the rooftop.

Some students were running around the field, playing soccer, shirts were gotten rid of to avoid sweating on it and smelling like an unpleasant smell once they are back inside the classroom. Jimin hummed as he pealed the plastic protecting the sandwich, he froze midway once he heard a familiar voice speaking, “Hey, President”. Jimin quickly glanced at the familiar voice and was relieved to see the doe-eyed, new kid in front of him on his usual spot, sitting against the concrete.

Jimin was unable to utter a word upon seeing the kid, the kid looked oddly different from the previous days he met him but Jimin wasn’t able to pinpoint which it was exactly. Eyes still glued on to the boy who was innocently smiling at him, seemingly like he was not MIA for two days straight. Jeongguk tilted his head, rather confused at Jimin’s frozen figure, “Earth to the president?” Jeongguk teased which snapped Jimin from his trance.

He swallowed a lump on his throat, opening and closing his mouth; confused as to what to say to the younger kid. Might as well the truth, right? The reason why he was MIA. Jimin twisted his body, now facing Jeongguk fully as he was leaning his back against the fence, Jeongguk remained on his sit, still smiling like a baby bunny, yes; he looked like a baby bunny.

“You haven’t been to school for two days, Jeongguk. Why was that so?” Jimin nervously asked yet trying to sound like a worried and curious student class president who was just doing his job responsibly.

Jeongguk eyes shifted into something that looked like he was surprised, “You notic- of course, you’re the student body president” he said as he still continued to softly smile at Jimin. Jeongguk just shrugged and adjusted his frame against the concrete, trying to lean in comfortably, “Just a mild fever, that is all. You have nothing to worry about, Mister President. I already gave my medical certificate to Miss Serizawa”

“Was that the reason why you were at the hospital the other day?” Jimin innocently asked, he was rather curious and is trying to confirm the information. Jeongguk froze; jaw clenched upon hearing Jimin’s innocent, curious question but of course, Jimin was not able to see his tensed reaction.

Jeongguk was good at everything especially concealing his emotions to people aside from Yoongi. Yoongi was the only person ever to see his vulnerable side, even Jeongguk’s grandmother was not able to see him unfold his vulnerable, weak side; he cares for her and he has truly avoided seeing her worry about him. So whenever he get migraines back in Okinawa, he had to it in and bite any article of clothing to prevent himself from making a single noise, having Yoongi on speed dial was convenient. Whenever Jeongguk calls him on the phone without any single sound, Yoongi would understand it right away and would quickly dash his way to Jeongguk’s house.

“Yes, you know general check-up and everything. It’s not a big deal” Jeongguk replied, eyeing and studying Jimin of any suspicion which Jimin had fallen for it, as easy as that; a single lie.

Jimin sighed in relief, it was a just a mild fever. Jimin had been so worried over nothing but it was much better than he had expected. He nodded and observed Jeongguk in front of him; there was something special about Jeongguk that got Jimin more curious of him. His doe eyes filled with stars, a vast galaxy that was filled with depths and secrets. His eyes sparkled in life yet as you dig in deeper, stare on it deeper; you could see the mystery beneath all the shine and shimmer. It may have been a cloak of protection, to protect himself from any pain with the use of the glow in his eyes.

Jimin chuckled to himself, he has this habit of trying to read people and usually, he got his instincts right but how can this innocent kid in front of him possibly hide the deepest secrets when he is just  16-year old? A 16-year old kid and may have lived his life running around in Okinawa and playing children’s game or computer games. Jimin shook his head to get rid of those thoughts and looked at Jeongguk again who has his gaze fixed on him, Jimin felt flustered for a second. The ring of the bell saved them or rather him from the growing tension going on in the air.

Jeongguk immediately stood up and had his hand buried deep inside his pocket as he approached Jimin, “Open your palm” Jeongguk said in which Jimin abided. Jeongguk took something out of his pocket and placed it above the elder’s palm. “Have a great rest of your class, President. Don’t stress yourself too much” and with that, Jeongguk walked back to the door, down to the hall and to his homeroom.

Jimin opened his palm, a cherry lollipop this time.

 

Yoongi was at his little office in their club room, trying to organize the program and its flow for the upcoming events. It was a little over 7:00 pm which he hadn’t notice, the halls were dark and the rooms were empty of students. It was basically like a scene in any cliché ghost stories, however, in Yoongi’s case he had been in this situation a lot of times already; he already got used to the silence and the random noise from a cicada.

He had been concentrating on his papers when the door slid open which startled the latter, he lifted his gaze and there appeared Jeongguk leaning on the door frame, Jeongguk who was supposed to be home before evening. Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows upon seeing the younger as he piled the papers over another pile of thick files, “And why are you still on the campus at this hour?” he asked, one eyebrow raised as he tried to sound strict in front of the younger.

“I should ask you the same thing, Organizing club president” Jeongguk snickered, approaching his best friend after sliding the door closed. Yoongi was rather impressed how Jeongguk was already back to his laidback, teasing and cocky self after experiencing the worst of the worst these past two days, stuck in the prisons of the hospital bed and it’s four walls, preventing the younger from getting out.

Yoongi cleared his throat, taking another pile of paper and set it down in front of him; going over the plans and the designs for every stage, “I am quite busy being the club president and you seem to have no activities with your club, why are you still here? You might fall sick-“ Jeongguk cut Yoongi off of his sentence before he could complete it.

“I told you to not talk about it outside” Jeongguk’s change of personality had Yoongi stiffen in his seat.  Of course, it was a sensitive topic after all. Yoongi understood that. Jeongguk’s gaze pierced right through Yoongi and would never want the younger to get overly angry or overly emotional, he knew the effects, so Yoongi nodded, “I am sorry, Guk. It slipped my mind” he apologized and kept his gaze on the younger, trying to see if he had eased which he did and is back to his smiling self.

“I waited for you downstairs by the gate and then by the water fountain but I realized you may perhaps be busy and I was right” Jeongguk smiled, standing beside where Yoongi was seated and tried to get a good look of what’s written on the paper. The younger hummed like he understood the contents of it well, “Sounds boring and ty” he commented, earning a head tilt from Yoongi.

“Jeongguk, language” Yoongi reminded the younger one who threw a disgusted look at Yoongi, “I can say those words, Yoongi” Jeongguk said but Yoongi was not having it, like a parent basically but he was not Jeongguk’s mom or dad.

“Just not in the campus, okay? Someone might hear you and it’ll give unnecessary problems” Yoongi explained, Jeongguk shoved the issue down the rag like he usually does if he wants to just move on and forget about it like it’s nothing serious and important. Yoongi understood Jeongguk so well, he knew him like the back of his hand and all his tantrums, Jeongguk was still a kid after all.

“You know what’s fun, Yoongi?”

Yoongi still had his gaze on the papers, trying to get this done as soon as possible so he and Jeongguk can go home and finally get some rest, “What?” he simply asked. Jeongguk walked away from Yoongi’s desk and then back and forth from one window to the other as he glanced at the dimly lit field below, “Arcade night is what’s fun” Jeongguk grinned, finally glancing at Yoongi who glanced back at the younger one, eyebrows furrowed once again. Are you sure? Jeongguk knew what Yoongi was trying to say without even using words, just his facial expression.  The younger one nodded enthusiastically, several weeks in Osaka and all he did was be in school, accompany Yoongi down the supermarket to buy some groceries and at the park; basically he was not exposed to the exciting side of Osaka, there has to be one, right?

Yoongi heaved a deep sigh and rubbed his eyes with his palm, “For someone like you, you really do have a good stamina” he groaned knowing there was nothing he can do once Jeongguk has already mapped out his plans tonight, there was no way to reason out with Jeongguk; the kid knows how to backfire and make you agree to him.

There they were at the arcade, flashing lights everywhere making one who isn’t used to it be blinded by them. Jeongguk’s eyes lightened in excitement, dashing his way towards the counter to exchange his cash with tokens and quickly got on to any arcade games. He started from the race car down to the motorcycle race, the basketball game, and the shooting game. He was having the time of his life, cheeks getting sore from the continuous laughter and smile he made.

Yoongi was looking at the younger from a distance, heart warm by the scene in front of him. The memories of the previous days gone like a wind and was replaced with this grinning and laughing image if Jeongguk. He wished it was like this every day, no grey skies but only rainbow smiles and giggles emitting from the younger’s lips. Yoongi wasn’t aware of the moist in his eyes, he quickly wiped it with the sleeve of his uniform; he has to be strong for Jeongguk and not the other way around.

 

“Loosen up oh my gosh, you are being so dramatic, Jimin” Taehyung overreacting let out a loud groan, he started pulling his best friend away from the doorframe, “Just tonight, please!” Taehyung grunted, never accepting defeat.

Jimin was currently holding on to the door frame of his house, never wanting to let go and join Taehyung on his nightly adventure. His parents were out on a dinner date which Jimin was not at all thankful for. If his parents were here, he’d still be having a deep slumber in his room far away from his situation right now.

“Just today, Jimin. My mom won’t allow me if you aren’t there with me. Please? Just give me this chance tonight” Taehyung pleaded using his famous trick in his book, the puppy dog eyes which Jimin would always fall for, “Pretty please?”

With that single puppy dog eye from Taehyung, Jimin surrendered and let his best friend drag him to whatever destination he has in mind. This is how they ended up at the famous arcade in Osaka at 8 PM, the streets still packed with people who are either about to go home or about to start their day by drinking and having fun. What was fun being an 18 year old was the non-existent curfew, once he reached the age of 18, his parents crossed out that rule which Jimin was so glad about. His parents had no issue with Jimin since he was the ideal son people wanted, a responsible son.

Being in the arcade was more fun than what Jimin had expected, nothing but warm laughter and more laughter emitting from their lips as they played most of the games inside the arcade. What Jimin didn’t expect tonight was seeing the doe-eyed kid in the arcade; Jimin froze in his place and have already forgotten about the game of whack-a-mole he was playing with Taehyung. Jeongguk wasn’t aware of his presence yet but he has never seen Jeongguk laugh this hard, head tossed and eyes firmly closed in laughter, the sight made Jimin’s chest warm in which he did not understand why.

“We lost because you stopped! What are you even staring at?” Taehyung whined as he was looking at Jimin’s line of sight. The former paused and realized, giving Jimin a nudge to snap him out. Jimin jerked as he was startled by Taehyung’s presence, “I’m sorry. I was in a daze” he explained as his gaze still fell on the younger one, having fun playing hoops with Yoongi.

“Might as well introduce me to your new friend, Jeongguk over there” Taehyung said, dragging Jimin to their direction before placing the toy on top of the whack-a-mole. Jimin held back, other hand gripping on the game they played a while ago; he did not want to budge, not this time. Taehyung held his grip tighter around his best friend’s wrist and pulled him.

“You really are on a roll today, Taehyung. Stop pulling me, I won’t go in their direction ever” Jimin grunted, forcing himself to walk off backward but Taehyung was too strong compared to him earning him to get dragged forward, towards the pair of boys, “Yoongi!!!” Taehyung yelled for Yoongi’s name, Jimin has never felt so embarrassed in his life. He wanted to hide from everyone and just bury himself 6 feet deep in the ground. How could anyone just randomly shout someone’s name out in public? Jimin wasn’t that surprised because he knew Taehyung and Taehyung wouldn’t give up easily.

Yoongi swiftly turned his head towards their direction and gave out a smile upon landing his gaze on to them. Taehyung waved enthusiastically at him which Yoongi waved lightly in return. This was no excuse for them to not approach them, Jimin was beat red in embarrassment. Once Taehyung knew Jimin had no choice, he let go of his wrist and slowly they approached the pair.

“Nice seeing you here Yoongi and… Jeongguk, right?” Taehyung started the conversation between two pairs, Jeongguk’s eyes rounded in surprise but nodded nonetheless. Taehyung gave him a warm smile, “I have heard a lot about you!” he added which earned a sharp nudge from Jimin to his side.

“Ow! What was that for?” Taehyung half-whispered half-yelled at his best friend who had enough of his extroverted-ness. Jimin was clearly the one suffering here; he was beyond embarrassed; he wanted to go home.

“What kind of things?” Jeongguk suddenly asked which caught Jimin off guard, he darted his eyes towards the younger that had his head tilted in curiosity as he was looking at Taehyung for answers. Taehyung panicked as he was flailing his arms around in “It’s nothing bad, I swear! What I meant was that I know you’re a new student and came from Okinawa, hearing from your strong accent but!!! That’s nothing bad at all!” Taehyung sheepishly smiled as he was rubbing his nape.

Jeongguk simply nodded and glanced at Yoongi who was glancing back at Jeongguk, they seemingly had a mental conversation with each other from the long seconds of them just staring at each other, “I forgot to introduce myself, I am Taehyung!” Taehyung greeted as he was extending his hand out in a handshake which Jeongguk shook in respect, “Nice to meet you, Taehyung” Jeongguk said as he smiled at the older guy warmly, “Wanna play?” he added which Taehyung accepted the offer and dragged Jimin excitedly nearer to them.

Jeongguk and Taehyung became close in a rather short time, Jimin could tell how these boys have the same interest and have the same wavelength when it comes to games and anything fun. Yoongi was situated beside him who claimed to have been tired from one game of hoops already. Jimin wasn’t really a person of activities so he was pretty worn out already from the games they played beforehand. Jeongguk and Taehyung, on the other hand, were still energetic and hyped up, still playing hoops.

“Funny seeing you in the arcade, Jimin” Yoongi started, gaze still on Jeongguk as he buried his hands deep in his pocket. Jimin noticed how Jeongguk and Yoongi usually do it, must be a thing in Okinawa. Jimin chuckled from Yoongi’s comment, “Yeah, not really my scene” Jimin replied, eyes gravitating to the younger one, smiling widely like of a rabbit. He’s so cute like a rabbit.

“Funny seeing you both here in your school uniform still” Jimin snickered, Yoongi dropped his head in embarrassment which Jimin was delighted to see, and seeing another reaction from Yoongi is rare since the latter seems to sport a blank look most of the time.

Yoongi nodded and nudged his chin towards Jeongguk’s direction, “That little sport waited for me at school and dragged me straight to the arcade. One thing about him is you can’t say no to him” Jimin hummed in acknowledgment, “He must be really a lot to deal with, huh? Full of energy and life” he added, seeing the younger one having fun for the first time.

“Full of life, huh? Is that what you see?” Yoongi simply asked eyes now at Jimin; the latter’s breath hitched. There was something with Okinawans and their gaze or maybe their whole character that made him so intimidated making Jimin’s hair on his neck stand up.

Jimin nodded, that was what he saw in Jeongguk except for the laidback demeanor the kid has. Jeongguk’s bright eyes reflected his excitement and Jimin couldn’t see the depth in it anymore but instead was replaced with youthfulness and innocence. Yoongi chuckled at Jimin, “Well then, I hope that is true”

Jimin and Yoongi were having a deep conversation about the usual topic about school and the responsibilities of being the club president and the student body president. It was rather a pressure on both boys and Jimin was glad he had Yoongi to vent it all out. Jimin and Yoongi had a very different scene in school, Jimin had always been the responsible type whereas on the earlier years of high school, Yoongi was always found in the back most of the library, not reading but rather sleeping the entire break period. They started having this bond a little after the first quarter of their first year in senior high; Yoongi became more responsible and have gained the trust of most people good enough to nominate him to be the Event organizer club president. Taehyung joined in the picture not too long since he was clearly Jimin’s best friends and sometimes after leadership training, Taehyung would join them which how they came to know each other or more like how Jimin and Taehyung knew and became friends with Yoongi.

“Guys, come on!” Taehyung called both of them who were deep into their talk about school; Jimin glanced at his best friend who waved at them to come with them into the photo booth. Jeongguk was leaning by the photo booth, looking at both Yoongi and Jimin; waiting for them to enter the booth together.

The four boys situated inside the booth tightly, Taehyung and Yoongi were in front which left Jimin and Jeongguk at the back, shoulder to shoulder. Jimin’s cheeks suddenly heated up by the realization of him and Jeongguk being closer physically, he blamed the cramped booth; it was too small which made him sweat. Yeah, that’s right.

3.. 2.. 1. Click!

“Smile, President” Jeongguk chuckled beside Jimin earnings a blush creeping to Jimin’s cheeks. Curse this heat. The four boys did indeed smile widely for the photo, four youthful boys innocently having fun in the arcade on a Friday night.

“Another one!” Taehyung excitedly announced, “Who has another extra token, though?” he added in which Jeongguk lent his extra tokens from his pocket and gave it to Taehyung.

“I know I could trust you, Jeonggukie!” Taehyung grinned wide and dropped all the tokens inside the slot, “Let’s make ugly faces this time!” Taehyung was obviously having the time of his life but who was him to blame? Jimin was also having fun tonight, forgetting all the pressure at school and just be a normal kid.

Jimin froze and tensed on his spot once he felt Jeongguk’s hand resting on the top of his head, Jeongguk glanced at him and giggled. Just before the camera captured their funny faces, Jeongguk yelled out “Tiny Jiminie!” and made a funny face earning a burst of laughter from both Yoongi and Taehyung. Jimin was still in shock and have forgotten all about the funny face plan he was supposed to show and instead, he was caught staring at Jeongguk; eyes wide and lips slightly ajar.

Right after they got their photos captured, Jeongguk ruffled Jimin’s hair and muttered a soft “cute” which made Jimin, even more, beat red than he already is. Taehyung dashed outside to claim the line of photo stickers and tried to look at the outcome.

“Jiminie, you are so unfair. You did not even do the funny face” Taehyung threw an accusatory glare at Jimin who was still flustered at the events inside the booth. Jeongguk was gigging at the side still looking at Jimin who was avoiding the younger’s eyes, “Jimin killed the fun. Whatever, we can do it again soon” Taehyung said as he got two strips of photos, “Luckily there are four copies each so I am going to hand it to you guys. Keep this as a remembrance or something you can reminisce to if you get older” Taehyung added as he distributed the photos to each one of them.

Jimin studied the photos and saw how he was looking flustered in the second photo because of one menacing kid called Jeongguk, “I like the second one better” Jimin felt Jeongguk’s breath near him, gazing on his cheek as the younger one was leaning down looking at the photo.

“This was all because of you, I wasn’t able to show off my funny face” Jimin pouted and glared at Jeongguk who was only a few centimeters away from him. Jeongguk chuckled and withdrew near Jimin, the latter heaved a deep sigh of relief; he almost died holding his breath.

“You can show it off to me anytime, President” Jeongguk half-whispered to Jimin which made the older one slightly shiver. He didn’t know he was able to see this side of Jeongguk; he wasn’t even sure what this kid is planning. If Jeongguk was planning on making a tomato out of Jimin, he might probably have succeeded.

It was nearing 10:00 in the evening and Yoongi knew it was probably best for them to separate from Jimin and Taehyung; it was time for Jeongguk’s meds. So they bid each other farewell outside the arcade before going separate ways.

“It was nice meeting you, Taehyung. We should really hang out again next time” Jeongguk clearly had a great time, he felt like he was having the best time of his life. Taehyung nodded enthusiastically, “I will surely wait for that time to come, Kookie”

“Kookie…”

“Is it fine for me to call you Kookie?” Taehyung worriedly asked in which Jeongguk nodded, he had no problem with it at all. Jeongguk glanced at the unusual silent Jimin by the side; eyes seem to dart anywhere but at Jeongguk, “See you at school, President!” Jeongguk teased which made Jimin look at him and once again flustered by Jeongguk’s words.

“You know you do not have to call me that outside campus,” Jimin said, Jeongguk discovered how it was so easy to get the older one flustered, thus, easy for him to playfully, “Like I said, I want to” he replied which earned a teasing nudge from Taehyung.

“Anyways, we got to go. See you!” Yoongi and Jeongguk bid goodbye and started walking deep into the sidewalk, a handful of people were still walking here and there, this was Osaka after all; another busy city filled with businessmen and women. Taehyung sighed contently as he and Jimin stood outside the arcade, still watching the boys’ retreating figure.

“You’re welcome” Taehyung simply said confusing Jimin, “What do you mean?” he asked, eyebrows furrowed at his best friend.

Taehyung smiled with a glint of something in his eyes, Jimin isn’t able to pinpoint what, “You have not regretted going out from the comforts of your home” Taehyung replied which confused Jimin even more.

“Talk straight, Taehyungie. You are messing with my mind”

Taehyung giggled as he was clutching his stomach, giggles turning to a fit of laughter. “It seems like Jeongguk and you have some kind of growing bond, huh?” Taehyung wiggled his eyebrows once again which earned a very hard nudge on the side from Jimin. Taehyung hissed in pain and pouted at Jimin who was shooting him daggers with his eyes.

“What was that for?” Taehyung continued to pout, however, Jimin was not having it. What Jeongguk did made him so flustered turning him into a life-size tomato which was totally embarrassing.

“Jeongguk’s a playful kid, which is all. You do not have to read between the lines, Taehyungie” Jimin explained and it made sense, Jeongguk was a 16-year-old boy who is going through puberty and is probably in that stage in his life where everything is just a playground for him, having fun and playing around.

“Whatever” Taehyung rolled his eyes in front of his best friend in which from Jimin’s experience, it was that look that says he wasn’t listening to Jimin at all, “You both look cute together and that is all” Taehyung commented before he zipped his lips together, literally hovering his finger on his lips and motioning like he was zipping his lips close. The conversation ended simply by Taehyung but Jimin’s mind was flooding with very random things and the image of Jeongguk’s wide smile.

 

“Have you been experiencing another round of migraine within this week?”

“No”

“What about cold sweats?”

“No”

Jeongguk was currently in his daily check-up, he didn’t understand why he had to be in the hospital for a check-up every single day ever since he moved from Osaka, it was truly such a waste of money. Yoongi and his grandmother explained that he needed this daily check-up for the meantime due to the change of environment and it was normal to miss home especially if it’s your first time. Heavy emotions are going to play along the road and it meant a risk in his health, his feelings needed to be neutral every single day. He was advised to never overexert his body, never to feel something extreme; that meant never to feel euphorically happy, extremely sad or angry. It would be a risk to his health.

This was the reason for his daily checkups, to monitor his health every day as he mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually adjusts to the new environment. The doctor said daily checkups would be over once their second term begins because that meant he had accustomed his mind and body by then.

The check-up didn’t take longer than 30 minutes, it was just a series of blood pressure checkups, what he did recently, the intake of what he ate and the amount of sleep he got. And after that, he was done and makes his way to the school. Yoongi would usually accompany him but due to his responsibilities, he couldn’t accompany him daily; just once or twice a week which Jeongguk understood. Jeongguk wasn’t selfish at all, he understood everyone had their own business and lives to live, and there were no ill feelings about it.

Jeongguk made his merry way out Dr. Shirahama’s office; he paused dead in his track once he spotted two familiar faces in the lobby. Jeongguk swallowed a hard lump in his throat, mentally panicking and trying to come up with a lie as to why he was here in the hospital. To visit his mom? His grandmother was in the ICU? A general checkup? His thoughts were jumbled but he can’t afford to mindlessly stay at the halls of the hospital. They were going to see him one way or the other. Jeongguk had no choice but to come up with something worth brushing over.

Jeongguk made his way out the halls and to the lobby, trying to ignore the two figures but had not succeeded when Taehyung called him out loud in the lobby early in the morning, eyes were now darting towards Jeongguk; all attention towards him. Jeongguk paused in his tracks and acted surprised upon seeing both Jimin and Taehyung.

“Hey, guys. Who’s getting their checkup between the both of you?” Jeongguk asked. Taehyung raised his hand which surprised Jeongguk, not like Jimin looked sick but he was rather surprised one of them were sick or was this not a daily thing? Jeongguk nodded, “General checkup?” He guessed which Taehyung denied.

“I am here for my asthma checkup” Taehyung answered, Jeongguk nodded in understanding as he prayed to the gods they won’t ask him what he was doing in the hospital alone.

“W-why are you here, though?” . Jeongguk mentally cursed but upon seeing the person who asked him, he suddenly remained calm. Jimin looked nervous in front of him, fingers fiddling at the hem of his shirt.

“I..uh.. general checkup. Just seeing if I am healthy or not since I have been getting these hard coughs recently” Jeongguk lied, exposing his real illness would just be really inconvenient and annoying; he does not want any pity towards his way.

“Cough?” Jimin asked, tilting his head like a cute kitten. Jeongguk faked a cough as he was covering his mouth with his palm, “Yes. See? Cough. I have to go now. Get well soon, Tae and see you at school, President” Jeongguk bid them farewell, trying to avoid any protruding questions, he really does need to get out of the hospital; he couldn’t last an hour in this place reeking of death and disease.

 

Jimin met Jeongguk at the rooftop once again, it seemed like their daily thing now as cheesy at it sounds. It was also the time Jimin was able to meet Jeongguk since their homeroom was rather far from each other. This place also served as their escape from everyone, from the crowd and the suffocation.

Jeongguk was at his usual spot as Jimin was at his own spot, winds were lightly blowing and it wasn’t cold compared to the previous days; summer seems to be fast approaching.

Jimin was so lost in his thoughts, summer is slowly approaching and that would mean almost the end of their 1st term. Once 2nd term comes, it’ll be almost the end of the chapter of his senior high life. Aside from his duties as a student and as a student body president, he was also busy studying for University entrance exams. He felt like he needed a push, he needed to study more so he could pass the entrance exam in January. Not that he was afraid of failure but he was afraid of the unknown future that lies ahead, he was afraid that he won’t be able to have a steady life after college. He worries a lot and that would drive him to work harder and handle no distractions.

He was snapped from his thought when a single petal landed on the tip his nose, it was endearing how it managed to float from the air and land on the small tip of his nose. He stared at it, crossing his eyes in the process before blowing it off his nose and landed back floating mid-air, slowly floating downwards to the field.

Jimin glanced at his back to find Jeongguk was staring at him; eyes lost in thought but were obviously staring at Jimin’s figure. Once Jimin tilted his head to meet Jeongguk’s gaze, the younger seemed to snap out of it.

“What makes you think so deeply at this time of the day? Cold and dull time of the day I may add” Jimin started softly, afraid to rattle the petals off of the trees from the vibration of his voice. Jimin stared fondly at the younger before him; Jeongguk seemed to have noticed his eyes which earned the younger a faint, dusty pink shade upon his cheeks.

“Home” Jeongguk softly answered and with that answer, Jimin understood. Not that he missed his home too since he was with his family, complete and healthy family living in Osaka with no traces of problems and misunderstandings. Jimin knew all too well that he was one of the lucky ones, lucky to be brought upon the Earth, under the comfort of a complete, happy family. No financial issues or differences of opinions within the household. He was indeed lucky and sometimes he wished he’d pass some of his lucks to his best friend, Kim Taehyung.

So with Jeongguk’s answer, Jimin made sure to never make this younger one feel so lonely than he was during his first day in school. He swore to keep him company until he graduates senior high and would make sure that whoever messes with Jeongguk would pass through him first. With a warm smile, Jimin approached Jeongguk and slowly kneeled before him as the younger one was seating on the concrete ground.

“I understand and from now on, I will keep you company and be your friend and maybe that’ll help you adjust well in this neighborhood” Jimin softly said, like it was a hum meant for a sleeping baby but he didn’t know why he had to be gentle with this kid before him, he just know he had to. He lifted his hand and ruffled the younger’s hair, “What do you say?”

Jimin studied Jeongguk, the latter was thinking hard and carefully. This kid before him seems to be more graceful than what he expected him to be. He had gentle, glistening eyes if you gaze on it longer and hair tousled by the wind, his soft waves dancing mid-air. Then the younger broke into a soft smile, a smile which brought a light tingling sensation inside Jimin’s stomach, he blamed the kid’s innocent looks for it. The younger extended his hands at Jimin’s direction which the latter took a little while to process, after a second, Jimin grabbed on to the younger’s hand; shaking hands as the younger firmly said “Friends” like settling a serious deal with a gentle smile which brought another tingling feeling inside Jimin’s stomach. It was rather odd yet it felt warm and sweet, like pop rocks popping inside your mouth or once it lands on something damp; it was that kind of feeling.

They held hands much longer than supposed to. Once Jimin realized it, he instantly retracted his hand from the younger which the latter was unbothered so. Jeongguk slowly stood up, dusting some dirt on his pants and glanced at Jimin who has still kneeling on the ground, “Are you not going to stand up, President?” he teasing said bringing Jimin immediately to his feet and pouted at the younger, he was rather childish but only to Taehyung but with Jeongguk, he seemed to loosen up to him faster than what he expected. Jimin needs to be cautious from now on, he does not want to be too comfortable with the younger one, it’ll just scare him away and he doesn’t want that, never.

“I told you, you can call me Jimin” the older one protested; pouting at the younger as the latter chuckled deeply, palm covering his mouth like a habit.

“And like I said, I like this better” Jeongguk smiled, setting his hand inside his pocket. Jeongguk was an inch taller than Jimin which made the latter tilt his gaze a little higher to the younger as they were standing on both feet now.

“Since we’re friends now, won’t you call me by my name?” Jimin insisted calling him President felt like there was a boundary between them. Jimin does not want that, he wants to be close to the younger, to know Jeongguk more and to be his real friend; no distance and no superiority between them, just two friends who call each other by their first name.

“Let me think about that, President” Jeongguk once again chuckled, bringing his hand over Jimin’s palm and handing him another lollipop. This now seems to be a habit of his. Melon flavor. Jimin read and with that, the school bell rang; a sign their lunch break has come to an end.

Both of them exited the rooftop together as Jimin unwrapped the lollipop and tossed it inside his mouth which Jeongguk does that same, too.

As both parted ways to go to their respective classrooms, Jeongguk did not fail to bid Jimin a goodbye, “See you later, President” and with that, the younger jogged to his room. Jimin huffed in his place, still glued on his spot as he watched the younger’s retreating figure slowly getting smaller and smaller until he made a turn to another hall.

Jimin made a mission to make Jeongguk call him by his first name. This riled him up and couldn’t wait to meet the younger once again. Jimin proceeded to walk to his homeroom, swirling the lollipop in his mouth as the sweet taste of Melon danced in his tongue. The tingling sensation still didn’t leave in his stomach even after Jeongguk left; Jimin chose to ignore it for the meantime. It was not a big deal, after all.


a/n: i meant new chapter every week after chapter 4 :D