Chapter 1

from here

It was a rather cold April when Jimin had dreaded to go back to school, thinking about the hours in those five days he won’t be able to spend them with his best friend. He was 18, his last year of senior high and as much as he wants to celebrate the last year of his high school life, he has already felt the pressure in the air hanging as his parents expects him to do his utmost best.

“There won’t be any difference, though. We would still meet every day, we would still go down at Miss Yagi’s backyard to ask for fresh strawberries every weekend and spend the rest of that day hanging at the Nakanoshima Park” Taehyung positively said, trying to exhaust the pressure and sadness in the air, especially Jimin’s brooding features.

This is how Jimin was, he was always been the type of person to adapt last, to adjust last like how people seem to move on past the celebrations’ special occasions like New Year, Lantern festivals, Thanksgiving or even as simple as a birthday event, he’d feel empty and just crickets mentally ringing in this chest. He loved events and celebrations, holidays; seasons especially summer where all people gather anywhere near any kind of body of water. He loves celebrating life and just the mere existence of every being. He appreciates the gift of life and the idea of a long lifetime.

This is why Jimin was dreading, dreading to go back to the plain walls of the school. He loves learning and discovering new things each day but it would have been better if Taehyung was with him.

“Here you go again with your attachment issues. It’s all right. I will be here in my room, waiting for you to finish your class and once it is over, we can at least hang around at the river to let off some stress and enjoy the scenery, okay?” Taehyung chimed, he knows this will ease Jimin and it did as he caught the sight of the growing smile forming in Jimin’s full lips. “See? That isn’t that bad, right?”

Jimin nodded, “I guess we can do that” he smiled, eyes glistening at the thought of sitting by the river and appreciating the frogs and fishes nearby, the soft rays of the April sun.

“Yuki and Taichi will be there, though. There wouldn’t be any problems with that, right?” Taehyung asked, he knew it would take Jimin a little while to have him attach with people that are not Taehyung, he has social anxiety and that meant having the anxiety to approach unfamiliar people even though they have been homeroom classmates for longer than three years.

“I feel like they’re much better off without me. I couldn’t even relate to half of their conversation. They keep talking about sports and you know I am not a big fan of those” he complained, pouting as he crossed his arms across his chest, “I’d rather talk to the sky than listening to their endless conversation about some Giants, Toyo Carp and other things” Taehyung just chuckled, seeing the growing lines of frustration evident on his best friend’s forehead.

“Hey, come on. I can feel something different in the air; I think this year is going to be a little bit different for you. I can sense it” Taehyung assured Jimin which made the latter scowl and roll his eyes.

“It’s just your asthma, Tae”

“Hey!” he exclaimed, throwing the nearest character cushion in Jimin’s way which Jimin easily dodged, “I was actually being sincere and I do really sense it! And here you are, making fun of my asthma” the comment made Jimin chuckle and stare at his best friend fondly, “I don’t know what I would do without you, Tae” Jimin suddenly said, earning a surprised reaction from Tae which softened a second later, “Me too, Jimin. Me too.”

 

“Now, what should you say once you introduce yourself in class tomorrow?” Yoongi asked, trying to practice basic greetings in Japanese with Jeongguk as the latter still wasn’t familiar with the ways in Osaka as he was brought up speaking the Okinawan dialect.

Ohayou namae wa Jeon Jeongguk desu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu” (Good morning. My name is Jeon Jeongguk. Nice to meet you) Jeongguk recited like he was back in his pre-school years, trying to practice the formalities. Yoongi patted his head, proud of the phrase he taught Jeongguk as they were riding the train to Osaka, where they will be staying at for three months.

“That was actually good but I can still hear your accent but that is all right, who gives a damn, right?” he said, earning a smack across the head from Jeongguk, “Language, bro” he said as he smirked at the reaction given by Yoongi, a scowl forming on his lips, reminding Jeongguk he is not fond of getting smacked by a person younger than him.

“Tell me straight in the face that you have never said those words around me or Obaasan” Yoongi said, shooting daggers to Jeongguk, the latter sheepishly rubbed his nape as his grin widened, “Who gives a damn” he snickered.

It was Yoongi’s turn to smack his best friend across the head, fond of the younger’s stupid antics, “Okay. We still have a long way to go” Yoongi said as he sat up straight, “What about the word ‘thank you’?”

Nifeedeeburu”

Yoongi heaved a deep sigh, looking at his young best friend sheepishly smiling like he didn’t care about anything at all, the basic personality of an Okinawan. Yoongi blamed the Okinawan state of mind as Jeongguk refused to acknowledge the huge difference between the Osakan and Okinawan dialect.

Yoongi knew Jeongguk like a book, he knows all his weakness, the secrets he has under his sleeves, the troubles he has and the nightly trauma the younger one has some other days. Yoongi was so familiar with Jeongguk and he knew Jeongguk refused to get accustomed to the new dialect he’ll be speaking for the entire term they’ll be staying in Osaka.

Jeongguk knew the Osakans were going to bully him about his dialect, about where he came from but Yoongi assured him most Osakans are kind, warm and friendly but still, he wouldn’t want to risk seeing the younger one getting teased at and bullied at just because of his origin.

“Jeongguk, you know I am doing this for your, right? I am not letting you do this just to blend in, you know that, right?” Yoongi pleaded, adjust his seat on the bust-up train to look at the younger one in the eyes, “Do this for me, yeah? You are my brother and I will look out for you but I cannot be always there for you, you know that” the older one sincerely said, holding on to the hands of Jeongguk as he stared him in the eyes, the sincerity evident in his almond eyes.

Jeongguk nodded silently, neck bent as he stared at Yoongi’s calloused hands, “I know you are and I thank you for thinking of me. I will try my best but it’s hard but I will try” the younger eagerly said, meeting Yoongi’s eyes and smiled.

“We can do this, I am positive. This is a major step for you, being away from your hometown for 16 years and suddenly spending your time in a new city, adjusting to new faces and new environment but let’s just take it slowly. Step by step, my friend, right?”

This brought Jeongguk to grin wide, nodding at the older one, “An adventure with you is always fun, Yoongi” he said, making Yoongi’s heart leap and churn. Feeling happy and grateful was an understatement for Yoongi, words cannot explain how happy he is to be able to spend new adventures with Jeongguk and this is just the start.

He promised Jeongguk’s parents to guide him and protect him; he kept the promise close to his heart. A promise he will forever keep, serving this as a gift for Jeongguk’s parent, serving this as a parting gift, as well.

“Mom and dad will be so proud of me”

“Yes, they will”

Jeongguk’s life had been grey skies under the vast, clear sky of Okinawa but that never stopped him from smiling. The first time he rode a bike and fell? He laughed it off and dusted his knees, getting back on the bike and trying it one more time. His first heartbreak? He smiled it off and wished the other person a happy life ahead. That time Yoongi and he fought and had never spoken for a whole two weeks? He barged into the older’s house, getting sick of him sulking and just gave him a warm hug, smiling when Yoongi hugged him back.

His parents’ funeral? He smiled, seeing them off. He smiled as tears cascaded down his cheeks.

What comes, comes.

He was taught about that ever since he was a kid, he was taught that their lives were already planned out and the consequences of their actions are all part of the plans for their future but the future? Jeongguk does not have that. What Jeongguk only have is the now, the present and he promised to his parents, to his grandma and to Yoongi that his life won’t come to waste, that he will spend all of every day like it is his last. He wanted to make sure there wouldn’t be any regrets. Live a life with no regrets and just fill them with good memories.

Jeongguk stared out the window of the train, the green trees and clear sky of Okinawa has now transitioned to the grey sky of Osaka and its greenery replaced by several tall skyscrapers. Jeongguk had never seen a sight like it, the sun blurred out by the clouds earning a soft ray from the sun. Totally different from Okinawa.

“So different” he whispered to himself

“You have your hoodie, right? It’s going to be cold out there” Yoongi reminded Jeongguk which the latter nodded, fishing for his black hoodie inside his duffle bag, “I am going to be so culture-shocked, I’m gonna look so stupid” Jeongguk ranted, fiddling with his fingers.

“I am going to be here every step of the way” Yoongi reassured him, standing up as the intercom crackled alive signaling the passengers they have arrived.

 

“I told you I’ll be fine. Go. You’ll be very late” Taehyung insisted, trying to shove Jimin outside the doctor’s office as Taehyung’s doctor was still discussing something with his secretary.

“And I told you classes start at 8 and it is still 7 for goodness sake, Tae. I can catch a bus 30 minutes before the time. You can chill” Jimin said, now sitting beside Taehyung in front of the doctor’s desk.

It was not another minute when Taehyung’s doctor sat back on his swivel chair, pulling up Taehyung’s records in his iMac before facing the two boys in front of him who were looking fondly at the photos on the desk, “Taehyungie, what happened now?” Dr. Sekiguchi started, he had known Taehyung ever since he was a child, so he was actually familiar with Taehyung’s condition.

“He sniffed Miss Yagi’s flowers in her backyard knowing there are pollens in the flowers. Doctor Sekiguchi, I think you need to plug Taehyung’s nose from now on. He seems to ignore that fact that pollens trigger his asthma, and not just normal asthma but rather a severe one” Jimin continuously blabbered, scolding Taehyung as he side glared his best friend.

“Thank you for explaining it to me in details, Jiminie. As for you Taehyung, you need to be careful about your health. You won’t get better if you keep this up” Dr. Sekiguchi warned him, taking his stethoscope around his neck, “Let me see if you really did your medications every day” he playfully said as he was giving Taehyung rounds of test while Jimin scooted farther, eagerly observing them.

“There seems to be nothing oddly wrong, just be sure to take your medicines daily and avoid sniffing flowers. Do you still have enough medicines to go by for the rest of the week?”

“He needs Leukotriene modifiers, Dr. Sekiguchi” Jimin replied in Taehyung’s place.

“Indeed” Dr. Sekiguchi wrote the said medicine in his note and gave them to Jimin, “You know where to go, right?”

Jimin and Taehyung nodded.

After the doctor’s appointment, they made their way straight to the pharmacy, buying the necessary medicines. Taehyung’s rants faded into Jimin’s ears as he caught his sight on the young boy entering the halls of the hospital, he and his companion seemed to have sported Jimin’s school uniform.

Who is this kid with Yoongi? Jimin wondered as the pair grew nearer and nearer. Yoongi caught Jimin’s eyes and shortly nodded at him which Jimin nodded back in return.

“I’m going to be late for my class just because you woke up late. Great” Jimin heard the younger boy as they passed by the pair to the farther hall of the hospital.

Jimin snapped in his daze when he felt a sting on his side, “Ouch!” he glared at his best friend, nudging his waist back in revenge, “That hurts, you dimwit”

“That’s what you get for ignoring me. You seem to be eyeing Yoongi’s company. If you are one e, I would end this friendship right now, Jimin” Taehyung said, crossing his arms across his chest, looking at the direction Yoongi and his companion disappeared to.

“You are unbelievable, Tae. I was just curious. I think he’s a new student since I have not noticed him at school” Jimin exclaimed, his mind still replaying the look in the younger’s does eye, he looked youthful yet the eyes will never lie, eyes are a window to every person’s soul. He could see the piercing gaze from the younger which intimidated the latter. He shivered just by the thought of it.

“A strong Okinawan accent, nice. You should keep an eye on him if he does go to your school. A person like him gets bullied a lot. Osakan people or not, he will be bullied by his accent” Taehyung told him, Jimin nodded in agreement, “No reason for people to bully someone different” he softly said, as they made their way out the hospital before checking if the medicine they got was the right one.

 

Being the student body president last year gave Jimin the pressure and the stress he had never imagined. So, when most of the whole students in the campus nominated for him in the majority, he felt the crippling pressure and stress coming back again. He heaved a deep sigh, walking his way towards the stage and stood there beside the nominated students.

“Jimin? Would you mind giving the campus a short speech before they go to their respective homeroom?” The school director asked but to Jimin it screams demand, demanding him, the previous student body president to send them a non-sense speech which will be going unheard by the rest of the student.

Jimin walked to the center and took the microphone from the school director; he heaved a deep sigh, preparing himself for the impromptu speech.

“As a new school year has begun, for starters, let us welcome all the new students of this campus. Give them the warmest smile and greet them as you meet them in the hallway. Be kind to one another and do not forget all your responsibilities here on this campus. A new school year means new lessons, new knowledge, and new people.  Remember, time goes by so fast, so do not forget to make the most out of your high school and senior high school life. Once we set our foot out in the real world, we would think back on those days where life was simple and less stressful. Once again, let’s just enjoy our school year and make the most out of it. Meet new student, befriend them, be kind and most especially focus on your dreams. Thank you”

Right after the speech, each student chorused a loud YES which startled Jimin. As the bell rung for the first subject for this school year, each student aligned themselves properly as they made their way to their homeroom.

This is going to be a long day,  Jimin mentally said to himself.

 

“Have you not sniffed a single flower today, Tae?” Jimin asked, sprawling under the shade of the tree at the park where Taehyung promised Jimin to take him, he glanced at his best friend who was chewing on his favorite sandwich, the egg sandwich topped with a lot of mayonnaise. Like how Taehyung likes it.

“I have not sniffed a single flower, do not worry. However, the stress upon reading Physics formulas might trigger my asthma. This does not sound good for me” Jimin was so accustomed to Taehyung’s likes and dislikes, studying was one of those things he despises quite a lot. He was totally different from Jimin, whereas, the latter loves studying, analyzing and memorizing.

“You are being dramatic. Never in my life have I heard about someone having an asthma attack because of a physics formula. Clench your teeth, Tae. This will be our last year as a senior high” Jimin said, rather feeling distant as he tilts his gaze on to the grey sky of Osaka. Would life be fun if it was easier? Would life seem bland if everything was easy? Jimin had these questions in his mind, trying to understand all people’s limits and how some people quit easily and some people just clench their teeth and proceed with the struggles. I guess it would have something to do with how they were brought up by their parents, their environment and the people around them. Your limits is dependent on your past experiences and it all depends on you if you want to push it farther or just let it fall, see it crumble on the ground. Speaking of parents…

“Tae”

“Yeah?”

“Your mom, how is she? She isn’t stressed with all the workloads, right?” Jimin faced his best friend in curiosity, the last time he saw Taehyung’s mom was when they threw a surprise birthday party for Taehyung at their home. It was December, today was April.

“Mom is holding it up pretty well but no job is easy especially when you’re juggling two jobs. I talk to her and let her blow off some steam from time to time. It’s the least I can do” Taehyung warmly smiled at Jimin, eyes soft as he was thinking about his mom who has been such a strong woman in his life.

Taehyung’s mom was someone Taehyung wants to be in the future, he wanted to be as strong as her, as responsible and as selfless as her. Without his father in the picture, his mom and he have been partners in crime. He’d cheer her up and support her when she feels burnt down due to work and she’d be there for him during his asthma attacks, his problems, basically everything. She is the definition of a superhuman for Taehyung.

“That’s great, Tae. I should really get my timing right and greet her when I see her. I know her birthday is still months away but when that day comes; we should throw her a simple birthday dinner. It would probably mean so much to her” Jimin suggested, feeling so thankful to Taehyung’s mom. Jimin has been very close with Taehyung’s mom and he’s confident to say that he considers her as his second mom, a kind of mother every child wants and Jimin feels rather warm at that thought.

The thought of it warmed Taehyung’s heart, thankful for the blessings he received and thankful for having Jimin as his best friend. He could never ask for more, to be honest. Despite his asthma, he is contented with what he has now. He is contented with his life, the people around him and the gift of life. “Thank you. She would really love that, Jiminie” Taehyung softly said, as he turned his gaze to the grey sky of Osaka, leaning both elbows behind him and heaved a light sigh.

“I love this. I wish we could stay like this forever. Peaceful and solemn” Taehyung smiled, speaking as he tilted his head towards Jimin, trying to see any reaction from him.

Jimin nodded; “I wish we could stay like this forever, too” he smiled as he craned his neck facing Taehyung, “What do you sense, though?”

“Like what I told you, I sense something great is going to happen this year and it’s a good kind of great,” he said, gaze drifting like he was thinking of much deeper, “I sense a change in the air but it’s something good”

Jimin hoped what Taehyung said was right; he hoped everything will be even greater and better than the months prior. Despite the blessings he have received in this life, he craves for more and for something better, he didn’t understand where this hunger came from but he needed something to feel more and to experience more, he needed the thrills, he craves for the thrills.

 

“You need to stop, s-stop” Yoongi heaves, resting both his arms on his knees to catch his breath, trying to catch up his energetic friend. They have been roaming the streets of Osaka as per Jeongguk’s request, the younger wanted to explore and familiarize himself with the streets of his home for the rest of the school years. So, there they were, walking and running around the dark sky of Osaka as it was already 8:00 in the evening when Jeongguk decided to take a walk around and go sightseeing. Yoongi expected this would turn our differently as to what the younger said.

“Catch up, Yoongi!” Jeongguk grinned, eyes glistening from the reflection of the dozen lights surrounding him due to the neon logos and characters on every building in Osaka. The light danced and Osaka was alive at night.

This was so different from Okinawa; the streets were packed with lots of vehicles, people crossing from the other side of the road and busking everywhere. He was thrilled from the sight, so he took out his disposable camera and took snapshots of the lights, buildings, people, animals and Yoongi who was still struggling to catch his breath.

“As a person with an illness, you clearly are energetic” Yoongi heaved a last, heavy breath and stood straight, walking towards the younger one. The view of Jeongguk surrounded by these dozens of lights warmed Yoongi’s chest, his smile also gave away how excited and happy the younger is. Heck, he was always been happy, even back in Okinawa; Jeongguk was nothing but all smiles and laughter. This kid has suffered a lot but that didn’t stop him from smiling and giving smiles to the people around him.  And that may be what made Yoongi look at the positive side of all things, search for the goodness in people. Jeongguk had been a good influence in his life and would never ask for nothing more as long as he gets to see Jeongguk smile and get all excited like today, like an innocent child who hasn’t discovered the bitter reality of the world.

“I can’t blame you for your low stamina and short legs” Jeongguk snickered and snapped another photo of Yoongi. Another thing about Jeongguk is his passion for everything he does.

He takes a photo of every memorable place, he takes a photo of every person that holds dear to his heart, takes a photo of every beautiful sunsets and sunrise back in Okinawa, the beautiful glistening water of the beach as well as every festivities in Okinawa. Yoongi understood his purpose of all these and it breaks his heart to know the exact reason why.

Jeongguk and his disposable camera are inseparable, he brings it to him every time he’d know the day would be filled with fun and adventure; sometimes he’d also bring it in normal days just to capture the quiet and the peacefulness.

“Don’t you have a video camera? Why don’t you try taking videos?” Yoongi suggested, thinking about how Jeongguk would use his creativeness in video making. Jeongguk scratched his nape and looked sheepishly at his older friend, “I’d need a stable laptop and software to do it and it’s quite expensive for a student like me”.

“I’ll help you. Let’s save our allowance and hopefully by the end of the year, we would be able to buy you a laptop and software. What do you think?”

“Y-yeah, we can do that” Jeongguk agreed, eyes evident with excitement.

If Jeongguk can be very creative with his photography, Yoongi was positive he could also be creative with his videos and he was looking forward to that day to come.

 

“President, the chess club is still missing 7 members. What should we do?” Makoto, the school’s vice-president reported, clipboard in hand as they both were walking the halls of the school, checking on every club applications.

“They should do well on their promotions and list all the perks of joining the chess club. You, Makoto, when you think of chess, what would be your first thought?”

“Brains, silence and boring, Mister President” Makoto firmly answered, trailing beside the student body President.

“Exactly! They should change that and make it seem like the club is fun. No one wants to join a club that is boring. Am I right?” Jimin glanced at the Vice-president which nodded in agreement, “That makes sense, you are right. I will go and report this to them. Excuse me” Makoto said before beelining his way to the chess club.

During Jimin’s first year of being the student body president, he was pressured and stressed; he didn’t have someone to seek advice to, he had no one to ask for help. But this year was different; he felt like he had the hang of it, he had done this last year so he was familiar with all the process and what every club should need. He listed everything in his notes, after all. He had it all under control. He was more responsible now which he was proud of, it gave him the confidence to do his work and responsibilities.

Jimin halted in his track upon seeing the new kid, the new kid he saw in the hospital the other day. He was observing him; the new kid was silently looking at every club, probably thinking which club had his interest. Jimin noticed how the kid’s eyes would always gravitate towards the camera club. It was Jimin’s job to help every student but he didn’t know why he was having second thoughts helping this kid out, it couldn’t be the intimidating vibes he was feeling the other day seeing the kid, would it?

Jimin took a deep breath and readied himself before approaching the kid, slow steps approaching the kid at the corner of the court where every club had installed their little station. He didn’t know why he was so nervous, fingers clamped around his clipboard and throat dry; it must be the kid’s appearance or how he presents himself, his posture and how he towers almost everyone despite looking like a kid.

He was nearing the kid, eyes still on the camera club, eyes seemed interested but what held him back? Jimin stops dead in his tracks, already in front of the kid. He cleared his throat, trying to ready himself as the kid was not yet able to sense his presence.

Here he goes.

“Hey, new kid. What’s your name?” Jimin smiled, the kind of smile he gives off to everyone when he is trying to start a conversation; a friendly, gentle smile.

The kid seems to have been startled by his sudden presence, seeing the reaction made; doe eyes round in shock as he stepped back a little.

“Hi. The name’s Jeongguk” the kid replied after calming himself, returning back to his comfortable stance.

Jeongguk. Cute name.

“You’re new here, right? Let me guess, first year of senior high?” Jimin asked, trying to start up a conversation with Jeongguk, trying to make him feel welcomed and comfortable.

Jeongguk nodded, Jimin noticed his quietness. Was he normally like this or was he like this because Jimin was a mere stranger in his eyes?

“Oh!” Jimin chirped, “My name is Park Jimin, the student body president. If you have problems with the clubs or anything school-related, you can approach me anytime. I can help you out with anything” he said, confidence in his voice like how he should be, he was the student body president after all.

Jeongguk nodded. He nodded and didn’t say anything after that.

Oh, this is awkward.

Jimin cleared his voice once again, trying to really hold a conversation with Jeongguk. It felt like he needed to talk to him, to at least interact with this kid. It’s just something about this kid that makes you want to interact with him. What is this?

“Do you have a club in mind, Jeongguk?”

Jeongguk’s eyes gravitated to the specific club once again, Jimin followed his line of sight and smiled, “Camera club?”

Jeongguk nodded, “Camera club but I don’t know if I would be good enough” he admitted, eyes staring longingly and Jimin felt warmness in his chest. He didn’t know what made him do it, maybe because Jeongguk was a new kid in school or was it because he felt Jeongguk was really interested in photography yet does not have the confidence to approach the club; Jimin held on to his wrist and dragged him to the camera club. Jimin didn’t know where this sudden burst of confidence came from; he really just wanted to help Jeongguk out.

“P-president, I don’t think I am fit for the club” Jeongguk tried to hold back but looking at the kids’ lanky figure, it was easy for Jimin to give him a little pull and drag him to the camera club, “Don’t worry, Jeongguk. Camera club members are very friendly and approachable. Don’t be too nervous” he reassured him. Jeongguk was beyond flustered at this point, so he surrendered and let the school body president drag him to the said club.

“Takuma, good morning” Jimin greeted, unaware of his hand still wrapped around Jeongguk’s wrist. Takuma stood up upon realizing Jimin, the student body president was standing before him, separated from their little stall.

“Student body president, it’s nice to see you” he greeted as he bowed to show his respect. Jimin smiled and leaned towards the stall, examining the list of students applying for the club, “Who’s this new kid with you, President?” Takuma asked.

Jimin glanced back at Takuma, noticing how the latter’s gaze fell on to the hands still around Jeongguk’s wrist. Jimin quickly unlatched his hand around Jeongguk’s wrist, heat rushing to his neck. Jimin cleared his throat and carefully looked at Jeongguk. The kid had his lips pursed, hands behind him looking like he was really nervous.

“This is Jeongguk, first year of senior high. He seemed really interested in applying for the club but he was too shy” Jimin explained, earning an understanding nod from Takuma, who in fact was the club president.

“Everyone is welcome to the club. We would love to have as many members as we can to join the club. It will be fun, seriously! We have all sorts of activities, photography-related or not” Takuma explained passionately, grinning in excitement. Jimin glanced back at Jeongguk who seemed to finally relax the tension on his shoulder, eyes glistening in excitement upon hearing Takuma’s words.

“That does not seem bad, right Jeongguk?” Jimin said, earning a nod from the kid.

“Do you have your photos with you? I mean, we accept everyone basically but if you do have your photos on you, it would be fantastic” Takuma politely said. Jeongguk then fished for his photos in his bag, slowly pulling out what seems to look like a photo album. Jimin leaned in, trying to take a closer look at it as Jeongguk slowly handed them to the club president.

“My forte is usually film cameras” Jeongguk softly spoke as Takuma place the photo album on the desk and slowly scanning the photos, taking his time studying the photos.

Takuma hummed, Jimin was impressed by the photos. Most were taken in what seemed like Okinawa, beaches and the clear sky evident in most snapshots. Photos of people, field of nothing but the trees, cows and the fence, photos of a garden and a little hut beside it. The photos were like telling stories and what seemed to catch Jimin’s eyes was the constant photos of a person which he recognizes as Yoongi, there were a lot of photos of him and another person, an old lady.

Jimin felt something, maybe because the photos were exceptionally beautiful and personal like they were invading someone else’s memories.

“They’re actually so good. I am very impressed!” Takuma exclaimed; eyes widen in glee. Jimin couldn’t agree more, the photos were really heartwarming and pleasing to the eyes. It was evident how Jeongguk’s photos had set into one theme, reality. Jimin was so used to photos of the sky scrapper, photos of landscapes and nature which seemed really great but what gave Jeongguk’s photos was how raw it looked; this probably what they mean when they said photos speak a thousand words.

“Your subject is really fascinating” Takuma complimented earning a shy smile from Jeongguk, “Thank you, Takuma-san” he bowed.

“What made you want to snapshot about these specific photos? I promise you, this is not an interview. I am just really curious” Takuma asked, leaning on to Jeongguk’s direction; very immersed in the conversation of photography.

“I just wanted to snapshot the beauty of life and nature. I usually take photos of the days where I feel like something good is going to happen or even just days of laziness and being in your own comfort” Jeongguk explained, eyes evident with passion and excitement. Jimin grinned, he was happy seeing how passionate Jeongguk was talking, the love for photography was clear in his eyes like it was what he was made to do, click and capture every single moment of life.

Jimin felt something, he felt proud.

“Photos to look back to in the future, correct?” Takuma assumed.

Jimin glanced at Jeongguk; waiting for the latter’s response. The light in his eyes faded slightly, staring at the photos on the desk, staring at it longingly like those were memories from a decade which really wasn’t.

“In the future?” Jeongguk softly whispered, “I hope so”

Jeongguk seemed to have snapped out of his gaze, slightly panicking at his unusual action. That caught Jimin’s attention. He was suddenly curious about this kid’s story.

“I mean, of course! For the future, to reminisce on those days. I am really sentimental, so I love taking photos of things that I would want to remember in the future” Jeongguk explained, back to his usual self; the shy and excited boy. But Jimin was still curious.

“Welcome to the club, then!” Takuma smiled, extending a hand to Jeongguk. The latter shook Takuma’s hand excitedly, eyes almost disappearing on how happy he is.

“Thank you so much!” Jeongguk squealed, bowing in the process. His action earned a loud laugh from Takuma, hand on the desk; keeping himself from falling on how loud he was laughing, clearly amused by Jeongguk. Jimin was, too. He was so amused by the kid and was not able to notice the approaching figure towards them.

“Yoongi!” Jeongguk exclaimed. Jimin diverted his attention Yoongi, hands digging inside his pocket and eyes set to Jeongguk.

Jimin remembered Yoongi as a person with a cold nature, lips always in a grimace. So why did his eyes speak differently once Jeongguk was in his line of sight? Why did his grimace turn into a smile? Did they have something unspoken between them or was it just him thinking absurdly?

“Did you get in?” Yoongi softly asked, different from how he speaks to people on the campus, very different from how he commands s.

Jeongguk nodded enthusiastically, “Student body president Jimin helped me. I wouldn’t be able to get in the club without his help” Jeongguk chimed, glancing at Jimin who was startled by the sudden mention of his name. Yoongi glanced at Jimin’s direction, too; eyes bore to the latter’s eyes, studying him and observing him.

Yoongi’s lips broke to a slight smile, acknowledging Jimin, “Thanks for helping him out, Mr. President”.

“It’s my job, after all. It’s really nothing” he replied, eyes trailing back to Yoongi’s then to Jeongguk’s. With an awkward cough, he slowly dismissed himself; saying how he still have other clubs to go and check. The both intimidated Jimin. “Are Okinawans really that intimidating?” he asked himself.

 

“How was your day at school?” Jimin’s mom asked upon Jimin’s arrival from school. He took his time taking his shoes off before approaching the kitchen island where his mother was, “Club application, it was tiring but at least I get to help students out especially the new students” Jimin said, placing his bag on top of the kitchen island before sitting on the stool, too tired to do anything else.

“Where’s dad?” Jimin asked, propping his elbow on the kitchen island as he rested his cheeks on his palm.

“Well, your dad was supposed to ask you a favor but he knew Taehyung would be trailing behind you so we dismissed the thought of it”

“What is it about?”

“Something related to flowers” Jimin’s mom flatly said, earning a snicker from Jimin, “Yeah, that would be a bad idea” he replied

“So, how are the music classes going? Are your students exceptionally good?” Jimin chimed, interested in the field of his mom’s occupation, and so is his dad. Both his parents are teachers at Osaka School of Music, after all.

“Not as good as you, son” she giggled while seasoning the dish she was cooking for dinner, back faced to Jimin.

Jimin rolled his eyes, he had an interest in music especially into singing but it wasn’t his passion; it was just a hobby. Jimin’s passion was something else, it was too personal to tell his parents yet but maybe someday, he’ll be confident enough to tell them what it is.

“I know what you’re trying to do, mom”

“Oh, come on!” Jimin’s mother whined, finally facing Jimin with a wooden spatula on hand; “You could easily be a singer, an artist, you know?” Jimin’s mom whined, approaching Jimin with her wooden spatula then resting both elbows over the island.

“What is it that you are planning for your future, son?” his mom asked in pure curiosity, “How are the college applications coming along?” she added. Jimin stiffened, he had applied to a total of three universities the week prior which was understandable to have not received any email back, and it was too early. 

“I promise to tell you soon, okay?” Jimin reassured his mom, making her twitch in curiosity, “You trust me, right?”

“He’s using the trust card. Wow, Jiminie” his mom over-reactingly placed her hands over her chest, glancing at Jimin, “I do trust you but I have my limits, son” she added before giving her attention to her dish once again.

Jimin snickered, “I promise I will tell you soon, okay?”

“All right. All right. Now get out of my kitchen and go change, Taehyung has been waiting for you at the park” his mom said before shoo-ing him away with her wooden spatula. Jimin quickly got to his feet, slung his bag over his shoulder and dashed towards the stairs to his room.

 

The air was cooler today than it was yesterday, Jimin wrapped on to his knitted scarf as he was burying his hands inside his pocket; walking his way to the park to meet Taehyung. What a weird place for Taehyung to chill at in the cold, he said to himself.

As Jimin spotted Taehyung sitting beneath the tree, leaning on to it; he slowly made his way to him and slowly kicked his side. Taehyung immediately whipped his head towards Jimin’s direction, squinting his eyes in annoyance.

“I assume you know that it is cold in here, right?” Jimin said, sitting beside Taehyung after groaning, complaining how it was now hard for him to crouch down, blaming his age. He is 18.

“I felt like being in the cold right now” Taehyung huffed, looking like there was something bothering his mind and it made Jimin pause his antics and seriously faced his best friend, “What’s making you feel down today?” Jimin carefully asked, giving Taehyung space to process his thoughts into words.

Taehyung heaved a deep sigh, tilting his head to the heavens above as the wind playfully blowing on to his brows locks. Taehyung looked ethereal under the blur rays of the sun but Taehyung would look more beautiful under the sun’s strong rays, tan skin glistening under the sun and eyes turning into a lighter shade of brown. That suits him best, not the dull light from the spring sky.

“I was just thinking about the future and how it would turn out for me. I know I am blessed but would someone even love me despite my illness?” Taehyung asked longingly. Jimin’s heart churned, hurt to seeing his best friend question himself. If Taehyung could just see himself if he could just realize how loved he is, how it is easy to love him. Not even a spot of bad is in Taehyung’s blood for he is the kindest person Jimin has known; kind, thoughtful, humble, and down-to-earth, a face with a good personality and a person who encourages you to be better. That’s the kind of person he is and Jimin wishes Taehyung could see that.

“You do not have to question that, it should never linger in your mind since you are deserving of love, Taehyung. Do remember that. You made me feel loved and you taught me so much in life, the teachers would envy you of that. You taught me to be humble and to be kind. You taught be to be patient and to be contented in life, Taehyung. So, why… why do you have all these thoughts crawling in your mind?” Jimin’s eyebrows knitted in confusion, palm rubbing on to Taehyung’s back to give him comfort, he never wanted to see this side of his best friend. If his words give him reassurance, best believe he would tell Taehyung these words every day.

“I had a lot of time to think while waiting for you and I wondered what it would be like to run around without thinking of the consequences after. What it would feel to smell the flowers your significant other offers you. I wonder what it would be like to be a normal person at a normal high school.” Taehyung’s eyes looking distantly at the sky, too many thoughts in his mind to spill and too many wonders and what-ifs in his mind that would remain as it is. It’ll never change; his illness would never disappear like a bubble popping with a single gust of the wind.

“You are normal, Taehyung. You should never question that. I would be here all the way with you. We are soulmates, right? We made a promise to never leave each other and you know how we take promises seriously, right?”

Taehyung nodded, eyes leaving the grey sky.

“Every step of the way, Taehyung. Every step of the way, I will be there for you and I will be holding your hand because I am your best friend and I care for you and love you” Jimin reassured him, eyes staring right through Taehyung’s which was slowly wet with tears, not because of the cold wind blowing but because of how emotional they were both feeling.

There are days where they question reality and their purpose in life and this is one of those days. The weather wasn’t helping either, the weather best for tucking yourself in your covers and playing soft music to match one’s emotions. The cold brings solemn to people.

“Thank you, Jiminie. I seriously am thankful for you and for coming into my life” Taehyung sniffed, coming too close for his tears to fall, and if it falls then there would be no stopping it.

Jimin softly chuckled, ruffling on to his friend’s brown locks, “Stop being so dramatic and give me a hug!” he giggled as Taehyung tackled him to a very tight hug. A hug could mean a thousand things but Jimin knew what this meant and he also felt the same way. Thank you for existing in my life.

 

“I would really want to join any camera club, seriously” Taehyung huffed, Jimin was glad he was back to his normal, quirky self. They retreated back to Taehyung’s home to spend most of the night since the wind was getting colder and colder the more you spend your time at the park.

“Too bad you’re not enrolled in our school. No outsiders allowed, remember?” Jimin teased as he sat on Taehyung’s swivel chair beside his study table while Taehyung was lazily lying on his bed.

“That is just pure torture for me but how fun is it in that club? Do they go photo walks always?”

Jimin shrugged, “I am not even part of the club so what do I know?”

“Stupid, I thought you were the student body president? So much for the title, you don’t even know each of their activities” Taehyung huffed once again, rolling his eyes as he crossed his arms across his chest, something he would usually do when he’s annoyed.

“I am the president but there are too many clubs at the campus, they’d submit proposals for every activity they do but I just forget some, okay?” Jimin surrendered, it was not easy being the student body president but he does not have the time to complain, sure the responsibilities are stressful but they gave him this role because they see him suitable for it, they see him as a person who is responsible and trustworthy. He shouldn’t betray their trust.

“I understand, I am just messing with you” Taehyung chuckled, now lifting himself up and leaning on to the headboard of his bed, “Anything interesting that happened in school?”

Jimin thought hard, from the first activities to the last but no matter how he tried to dig them, his mind would always fall to his first encounter with the doe-eyed boy named Jeongguk.

“Spill it. I know that look. That look screams, I remember one thing but I do not want to mention it since it is irrelevant” Taehyung teased, wiggling his eyebrows earning a scoff from Jimin, “I hate you for being able to read me so well, what the hell”

“Spill it. I do not have all night, Jim boy”

It was Jimin’s turn to huff and roll his eyes, “Remember the kid at the hospital with Yoongi?” he said, letting Taehyung try to remember that day.

“I believe so….” Taehyung trailed, unsure of it.

“The day after you sniffed on the flower at Miss Yagi’s backyard?”

Taehyung’s eyes lightened in realization then nodded enthusiastically, “I do! That kid which I told you to look out for? Why? Did someone bully him?” Taehyung’s eyes suddenly dimmed, serious upon thinking of the possibility that the new kid was bullied.

Jimin shook his head, “No, no one did” he reassured Taehyung which brought smile to the latter, “Then what about him?” his eyes lightened once again in curiosity.

“We was having a hard time approaching the camera club since he claimed he was not good enough which was false since I saw his works and Tae, if only you were there to see it with your creative eyes for art, you would’ve smacked his head and tell him how amazing his photos are because it was honestly beautiful like you were actually there, in that picture, in that specific moment in time” Jimin excitedly rambled which brought curiosity to Taehyung, Jimin had never been this excited talking about another person’s work.

“You seem to be really into these photos. I mean, clearly, you are upon seeing you like this” Taehyung giggled, teasingly smirking at Jimin’s way which made Jimin’s eyebrows knot in annoyance.

“I was thinking of you and how it would be exciting if you have seen it too but whatever. You’ve clearly misread me”

“What’s his name?”

“Pardon?”

“What’s his name? The guy we saw at the hospital who joined the camera club and whose photos got you rambling like a lovesick puppy” Taehyung elaborated, clearly having fun teasing at his best friend.

“I was not rambling like a lovesick puppy, what the hell did you eat while I was gone? And his name is Jeongguk”

Taehyung nodded, locking the name in his mind in case Jimin would bring him up once again in their conversation. He softly smiled seeing Jimin’s pout, teasing Jimin had its perks - seeing him pout adorably like a little puppy.

 

The following days after, people were busy with their responsibilities being a student and being an active member of their respective clubs, it was the end of class when Jeongguk darted towards Yoongi’s club room, now familiar with the halls as he ran his way there, hair tousled in the air as he had his school bag draped over his shoulder. Around this time, Jeongguk was positive the members of the organizing club still weren’t in their room yet considering it was only a minute after the bell rang for dismissal.

“Yoongi!” Jeongguk chimed, opening the sliding door aggressively; shocking Yoongi who was on his desk, probably trying to organize their plans for the future school activities.

“Jeongguk, I swear to god. You almost gave me a heart attack” Yoongi dramatically exclaimed, clutching on to his chest as he was sending daggers to the younger one, “What do you want this time?”

“Keita-san and I are going to walk around the neighborhood and take some photos, so I will be going ahead,” Jeongguk said, asking for Yoongi’s permission since he and his family was basically his guardian, so it would be very wrong to not ask their permission.

“Are you familiar with the corners and the road that leads to our house, Jeongguk?” Yoongi asked, earning an enthusiastic nod from Jeongguk, “Yes! I was able to familiarize it already!”

Yoongi nodded in approval, “You go then, but please remember to be back by 8:00, okay?” he added, reminding him that he still has a curfew to follow since, after all, he was still a kid.

“Yes, dad! I shall be back by then” Jeongguk joked around before Yoongi could retort, Jeongguk was already out the door, speeding to his friend who was waiting for him by the school gate.

There was nothing to worry about Yoongi tried to convince himself, mind drifting at Jeongguk going around the streets of Osaka unsupervised by a guardian but Keita was there, and he’d take care of Jeongguk, right? He’s sure he will or he’d be meeting Yoongi’s fist if ever Jeongguk was hurt.

He has been very protective of Jeongguk, 12 years of friendship wasn’t a joke and the journey of it was full of chaos and tears. Jeongguk did not deserve any of those experiences, the trauma of it all and the loneliness crawling inside him every passing day. Yoongi had been so protective of him ever since that day, September 1, 2004, Jeongguk’s birthday will never be the same ever again. It angered Yoongi, yes it did but it was hopeless to dwell on the anger and the rage when everything had been done. He was hopeless, hopelessly trying to console the younger one on that exact date; trying to tell him and reassure him that everything was going to be okay. He lied. How is everything going to be ever okay when he just lost the two dearest people in his life?

So, it was in Yoongi’s nature to be very protective of the younger one; no matter how little the issue is. He’ll still protect him and take care of him like what a brother would do. He loves Jeongguk and he will go through anything for him.

Though he was busy with the papers on his desk, his mind was still drifting at Jeongguk’s whereabouts. This must how being a parent feels like, constantly wondering and worrying where their child is and what they’re doing at this very second.

But something amazing about Jeongguk’s trait is how responsible and self-aware he is even as a kid. He knows his responsibilities, he’s hardworking and passionate. Once he sets his mind on to something, he will surely achieve it. “All people need is a second chance and they’ll be able to achieve it”, words coming from Jeongguk that one-time Yoongi was astounded upon seeing Jeongguk’s portrait painting.

Basically, there was nothing to be worried about but still, Yoongi worries and worries in most days, especially regarding the kid’s health. It was not like he is getting worse but he was not getting any better, too. It was just stagnant.

“Hello, club president!” Yoongi’s train of thought was cut short upon the arrival of his co-members, slowly coming in one by one and slowly filling the room. Yoongi smiled at them as he stood up, bowing in greeting; “Good day, everyone. Let’s all start out meeting and we will shortly start assigning groups for a specific errand. Got it?” Yoongi announced, his stance different than what he was on the outside of these doors because once he enters this room, he already got his club president mindset activated, it was nothing personal; just trying to be professional so people would have to pay him with respect.

“Got it!” All the members chimed as they dragged their chairs to the long table for a long, busy meeting

 

Another thing Jimin hates about being the student body president was the fact that he had to be at school even before the expected time. He had to check proposals from every club, had to meet with the school director every other day and check every single classroom for any damages and etc. So, here he was, at the early hour in their school campus; trying to check all the submitted papers to be approved or declined and trying to review his notes for a long quiz on history later. He was stressed and not in the best mood today.

It took just a little push to drive Park Jimin on the edge; it took just a little impatient remark from the president of the science club for Jimin to burst, face red and fist clenched in anger. He slammed his palm against his armchair and abruptly stood up, staring up at Riku, the science club president.

“I told you I have to go through all my papers, read them and decide if it does not go against the rules set for each clubs, Riku. I just can’t skim it all and approve, that is not how it works” Jimin explained, face beat red but he honestly tried to calm himself. His outburst earned an audience around them, mostly from his classmates inside the homeroom, silently observing their exchange.

“Can’t you just put our file at the top of the pile and read them first? I just need an update as soon as possible, president Jimin” Riku begged, tapping on his toes; a sign of impatience.

Jimin huffed in annoyance. Unbelievable. Jimin placed both hands on either side of his hips, straightening himself and giving Riku a stern look; “Your club submitted late, your proposal gets to be reviewed late. Period. I don’t need any word from you; it’s never going to change my mind. Either be patient or I’ll just give it a direct reject. You pick.” Jimin said, trying to keep it very professional.  As much as he wants to shout and make a scene, he didn’t forget his position as a student body president. What would his co-students think if the student body president were to suddenly make a scene? An unnecessary problem.

Jimin took a quick gulp of his cartoon milk and angrily set it down on his desk, creating a loud thud sound. He rather woke up at the wrong side of the bed, his day really started off in a bad note. His co-club leaders know how the system works so; why in the hell do they not understand it? They’re in high school for goodness sake; he does not have to repeat himself over and over again.

It was a lunch break when Jimin had enough of his day. It was when Riku came back to his little office, eager strides as he approached Jimin on his desk. Jimin heaved a deep breath and readied himself for what’s to come. Riku had a determined demeanor evident in his eyes; Jimin really didn’t want to have an inkling bad blood between his co-club leaders and him. He tried to keep it casual and calm between every clubs, trying to meet their needs and wants. Jimin wanted peace and understanding between everyone but sometimes, he couldn’t have what he wants huh?

Riku planted both palms against Jimin’s desk, facing him; face very serious and determined. Jimin just knew Riku didn’t want to hear ‘no’ for an answer. Jimin tried to remain calm like a responsible student body president he is as he crossed his arms across his chest, either trying to feel like authority or maybe it felt like he was protecting himself from Riku’s incoming outburst.

“What is it this time, Riku?” Jimin roughly asked, tensed at the heavy air inside his office.

“Just this time, please? I really need you to get this proposal up for approval as soon as possible today, president. You know my club and I never broke the rules and went against it, right? You know that better than anyone else that the Science club has been very obedient and responsible all throughout the years. We are responsible and reasonable members, president. Have you seen us having a feud with other clubs? Have you seen us rebelling and disrespecting your choices?”

“You seem to be doing the exact thing today, Riku” Jimin said as he kept his face blank without emotions or any reaction. This is the pressure of being in his position, the avoidance of being biased of any particular club; that would really stain his reputation of being the student body president.

Jimin saw the way Riku clenched his jaw, trying to control himself from bursting. Riku closed his eyes and took a deep breath; trying his best to calm himself, “Mister President, this is just the first time I am begging here in front of you, stripping my self-pride away just for this proposal” Riku pleaded, “Please? Please?”

“Why? Why is it so important for you to have this proposal approved as soon as possible? You know I am never biased and this would likely turn all club’s eyes to the Science club, right? So why risk it? I know Science club has not gone against the rules, so you know I am probably going to get this approved no matter what. So, why can’t you wait for even a day or two to get this approved?” Jimin tilted his head in curiosity as he still had his arms across his chest, observing and studying Riku’s eagerness.

Riku stood straight, taking his palm off of Jimin’s desk; “This is a trip to the planetarium, this is not just any other ordinary viewing but a rather memorable moment for us if we can get there on time. There’s a meteor shower in two days time and we have to travel up the mountains, to the countryside to be able to see it evidently”

“Where is that?”

“It is at Nakano ZERO Planetarium, President” Riku replied firmly.

“Thank you for explaining it well to me, you should have done this the first time you came to me to avoid this feud but I will see and seek advice from our professors and director on how I should proceed with this” Jimin explained, though he still needed to follow strict rules and if the issue is critical and very so needs the advice of the higher up, he’d go to lengths for the club. Riku seemed reasonable but it still gave Jimin this heavy burden over his shoulder, the pressure to have it done or the Science club would have wasted a perfect opportunity to see a Meteor Shower and gain more knowledge on their field.

Riku quickly bowed at Jimin, over and over; a sign of gratefulness. Jimin stood up and politely bowed this time and then gave the guy in front of him a pat on the back; “I hope you’d be there on time for the Meteor Shower, I will do my best” Jimin sternly said, staying true to his words. His mind is already preparing what to say to their school director. He knew they were going to approve of it no matter what since it was a great opportunity and also, nature won’t postpone for them.

After the stressful encounter, Jimin decided to just munch on the sandwiches in the vending machine as he was too tired to go to the cafeteria and fetch himself some healthy meal. He was worn out and needed some air to breathe, that’s when he decided to grab some sandwich and juice then made his way to the school rooftop, and this was the best place to clear one’s head and just relieves all the stress weighing on one’s shoulder.

Steps after steps onto his way to the rooftop, and just as he opened the door to the rooftop, the wind blew strongly on his face, ruffling his hair in the process.  Jimin made an effort to cover his face from the strong blow of the wind as he stepped on to the rooftop, the door closing behind him. The sky was nowhere clear at this time, it still painted boring grey and Jimin’s could wait until it clears out and exposes the beauty of the clear, blue sky he loves. Sakura petals were scattered on the ground, which he guessed was probably caused by the continuous blowing of the wind on a cold, spring day. No one bothered to clean the Sakura petals on the ground, he does not blame them; it looked so beautiful sprawled on the floor randomly like it was set to be there and decorate the also boring gray-colored cement.

Jimin slowly made his way further on the rooftop, juice, and sandwich still in hand; never had taken a bite on it nor sipped on it for he was rather distracted at the beauty of the trees beneath him. The trees filled with colors of white and light pink, almost embracing their soccer field and it warmed Jimin despite the cold April wind still blowing and messing with his light brown locks. Jimin shivered a bit, he was wearing a thick jacket over his school uniform, doesn’t want to risk catching a cold on their first weeks at school.

Jimin closed his eyes, basking in the cold wind prickling on his skin and the comfort feeling of the soft blowing of the wind, tousling his hair and ruffling his jacket and pants. He smiled, a comforting smile; relieving all the stress and the pressure even just for a while.

He opened his eyes once again, eyes starting to wet as the wind prickled his eyes, the wind was indeed cold and the sniffing was inevitable. So, he sniffed and wiped the tears in his eyes caused by the spring wind; it was common.

What he did not expect was the sudden voice of a person, he was not aware that there would be a single soul in the rooftop aside from him. I mean, how brave of them to come out at the rooftop and freeze to death but then again, so was Jimin. He swiftly turned his neck towards where the voice came from, causing his neck to make a cracking sound.

There he saw.

There he saw the doe-eyed kid but right now, he wasn’t the kid who was shy in front of him and the Camera club president but he looked so calm and solemn like it was his nature to be in this environment, to blend in within the scattered petals and the wind. He really just looked so calm and untouched. Jimin’s heart skipped a beat; he blamed it for being surprised there was some other person in the area. Jimin must have looked like a kid who just saw a ghost in front of Jeongguk.

Jeongguk tilted his head in curiosity, leaning on to the concrete pavement as he had his foot sprawled on the ground while other his knee bent; letting his elbow rest above it. He didn’t look anything like a kid at all, he looked intimidating and laidback.

“Why are you crying?” Jeongguk asked one more time hearing Jimin didn’t answer his question the first time.

Jimin snapped from his daze and shook his head, “I wasn’t crying, it was because of the wind” he explained which was the truth. Jimin wasn’t sure if Jeongguk believed him or not but he saw him nod in understanding.

“Your food is getting cold, Mister President. You might want to finish it before it becomes a brick” Jeongguk said, eyes on the food in his hand which he totally forgot about. Jimin swallowed a lump in his throat and nodded, “Oh, I forgot about this” he simply said which earned a little smile from the younger one causing Jimin’s chest to warm up, it suddenly wasn’t cold anymore; Jimin thought.

Jeongguk patted the space beside him, signaling for Jimin to take a seat beside him and indulge on his sandwich peacefully without the struggles from the wind and the possibility of having Sakura petals flying inside his mouth.  So Jimin joined Jeongguk on the concrete ground, knees bunched upon his chest as he rested both hands on his knees. There was a respectable amount of space between them, not too near nor was it too far. Jeongguk eyes gazed at Jimin’s face, Jimin could feel it in his skin but he was too flustered to look the kid in the eyes; what is there to be intimidated at? He is just a kid who started his first year of senior high, what is there to be scared of? Jimin nodded mentally and met Jeongguk’s gaze. Jeongguk broke a soft smile and lifted his gaze up in the sky yet Jimin seemed to have his gaze locked on Jeongguk, it was odd.

Jeongguk gave out a light scoff, eyes seemed to bore the sky like he was eager to create a hole in the sky and break the grey skies into a clearer, blue sky. Jimin broke his gaze and started opening his sandwich, peeling off the sticker very cautiously like the sound alone could break Jeongguk’s trance and he wouldn’t want that, he just didn’t want that.

“The sky…” Jeongguk started after a minute of peace and as Jimin was halfway finishing his sandwich and his box of apple juice. Jimin looked at him curiously, what is with the sky?

“The sky here is too lonely, too boring. The sky here makes people think of dark thoughts, makes them think of something twisted and crazy, too different from the Okinawa sky” Jeongguk explained, eyes still eager to shatter the dullness of the sky, eyes dreading the color. Jeongguk swiftly looked at Jimin, eyes now focused on him and Jimin never felt so exposed from the eyes of the younger, piercing, and doe eyes like it held all the secrets in the world that Jeongguk only knows.

“Do you think so, yeah?” Jeongguk innocently smiled, waiting for Jimin’s response. The latter felt the pressure to just nod and agree and so he did. He nodded and agreed, “The sky is lonely, plain grey sky and cold winds. It just makes you want to bury yourself in your duvet and close your eyes, wait for Summer to come and melt the dullness shade of grey in the sky” and he did respond, he didn’t know why he suddenly spoke of those sentences, it may have been the effect of being in Jeongguk’s presence, it made him feel sentimental and calm.

“Well, I think I just heard the bell ring and that marks the end of our moment” Jeongguk grinned; he grinned like of a little boy which had surprised Jimin, it too made Jimin smile in return. Jeongguk immediately stood up and buried his hands in his pants, probably looking for something in there.

“Cheer up, President” Jeongguk grinned, once again, the grin that shows his set of white pearls, clean, straight, white pearls. Jeongguk handed Jimin a lollipop, it was rather random yet Jimin reached out to accept it.

“Jimin, call me Jimin. You do not have to call me President” Jimin spoke, fingertips slowly fiddling and playing with the lollipop stick.

Jeongguk nodded and grinned, a knowing glint in his eyes as he said, “But I like calling you ‘President’, Mister Student body president” before striding his way towards the door leading inside the warm environment of the campus.

Jimin was still frozen in his place, still sitting on the ground and fiddling on the lollipop. He gazed down on the object in his hand and lifted it to the sky, “Strawberry flavored lollipop” Jimin softly said to himself and buried it deep in his jacket pocket.

In the end, he was not able to finish his sandwich and apple juice.

 


a/n: updates are every weeek except for the first three chapters. feedbacks are deeply appreciated :D