Chapter 4

from here

Jeongguk lied, Jeongguk have no plans of accompanying someone at all like what he said. When he lied to Jimin, he really felt bad about it but Jeongguk wouldn’t want to risk Jimin knowing what the actual reason was. No one should know of his illness except for the Min family and his grandmother.

He had to sneak in the hospital entrance and made sure Jimin and Taehyung weren’t around by the waiting area. Once seeing the coast was clear, he immediately dashed towards the hall down to the office of his doctor, Doctor Sekiguchi.

Jeongguk didn’t feel so well after Yoongi and his little fight, that’s why he immediately planned on going to the hospital by his own once he knew Yoongi was busy on one specific date, unable to accompany him to the doctor which Jeongguk was grateful for.

So here he was, the migraine had been bothering Jeongguk for the past few days, medicines were able to help him but it could only lessen the agitating pain and not dismissing it. The thumping migraine would usually disappear in a day but this was not the recent case. As much as Jeongguk would hate to admit it, he was scared of any results.

Doctor Sekiguchi made some rounds of test and checkups for Jeongguk, checking for his blood pressure, CTA and lastly, MRA where Jeongguk was placed on a table that slides him into a magnetic resonance scanner. Once the test was done, Doctor Sekiguchi advised Jeongguk to stay and admit to the hospital ward for the night since this was a red light case for him, due to the days-long migraine he experienced.

“Doctor” Jeongguk called after he was situated inside the ward, thank god he was all alone inside. Doctor Sekiguchi lifted his gaze at the younger boy from his clipboard and gave him the warmest smile, “Yes, Jeongguk?”

“Will you call Yoongi after his class? I don’t want to scare him and he is really busy with school today, please?” Jeongguk pleaded, asking his doctor a favor which he obliged. Before leaving the ward, Doctor Sekiguchi reminded Jeongguk about an hourly visit from the nurse since he had no guardian with him for the moment. Jeongguk obediently nodded silently and laid down, feeling exhausted from the series of exams and tests.

It was slowly starting to get hotter and hotter as days grew closer to Summer. Yoongi had been pacing around from rooms to rooms to clubs to faculty. It was never easy to organize every school activities especially the major ones and he is thankful to all of his co-organizers for being so patient and responsible.

After school activities were the busiest in terms of walking in the hallways, it was always so full of students talking in groups or students also making errands for their club. Yoongi always tried to be useful to the club, too, just because he was the club president does not mean he has the luxury to boss everyone and make them do the errands. He wasn’t a boss but a leader who guides them and influences them to be better students and role models to the younger students.

Just when the sky started to shift to a lighter shade of orange, Yoongi decided to retreat to the club room and start packing to get home. As he was approaching the room, he collided with Jimin on the hallways, startling them both in the process.

“President” Yoongi greeted, acknowledging the student club president. Jimin nodded his head in acknowledgment.

“Yoongi, you can just call me Jimin” he replied which Yoongi nodded in return, “Okay, Jimin” he said, softly smiling at the younger president.

“By the way” Yoongi started as Jimin was looking, head slightly tilted in curiosity, “Do you know where Jeongguk is? I haven’t seen him all day at school” Yoongi asked, worried over his best friend and where he was at.

Jimin must know something when Yoongi sees his eyes widen, “Yesterday he told me he was accompanying someone today and that’s why he wasn’t in the campus all day” Jimin explained which confused Yoongi even more.

“Did he say who he was accompanying?” Yoongi asked. Jeongguk usually goes to Yoongi and ask for his permission or just tell him. This had been the first time Jeongguk had done this here in Osaka but frequent times in Okinawa which never ended good which is why Yoongi is so close to panicking, eyes darting from left to right; looking for something or any clues.

“He did not, just those words” Jimin apologetically said, seeing the growing worry in Yoongi’s face.

At this point, Yoongi’s only resort was to call Jeongguk but when he called the latter, it directly put him into voicemail. It was so odd for Jeongguk to be doing this which sent Yoongi pacing anxiously in front of Jimin who was also starting to get worried.

“I-I can help you find him,” Jimin said, reaching out for Yoongi to pat him on the shoulder to calm him down. Before the both could even take a step, Yoongi’s phone shrilled earning both to get startled.

Yoongi fished for his phone and immediately answered the call without sparing the contact name a glance, “Hello?” Yoongi answered while Jimin was standing in front of him in curious.

Yoongi recognized the voice was of Doctor Sekiguchi earning Yoongi to grow into panic mode, “How is he? Why did you call? Did something happen to him?” Yoongi bombarded the doctor with a series of questions, restless as he was stuck in the shadow, knowing nothing at all.

“Don’t panic, okay?” Doctor Sekiguchi calmed him down through the phone which apparently did not help Yoongi, it rather riled him up in panic even more, “Just tell me” he said, gritting his teeth, impatient.

“We have gone through a series of tests and the results will be released tomorrow morning, I advised him to stay in the ward since he is still feeling rather ill and it’s unsafe for him to be back sooner” Doctor explained, Yoongi nodded in understanding and is itching to just sprint his way to the hospital and see Jeongguk in flesh.

After their quick exchange, Yoongi ended the call and faced Jimin, “Is everything fine or should I still help you?” Jimin asked. Yoongi gave the president a pat on the back and shook his head, “I know where he is and thank you for helping me” Yoongi said.

“I didn’t do basically much” Jimin sheepishly replied earning Yoongi to chuckle, “Still, thank you and I do really need to go now. So, see you tomorrow” Yoongi said before dashing his way towards his club room to collect his belongings and made his way straight to the hospital.

Once Yoongi shoved the sliding door open to the ward, he dashed towards Jeongguk and see if he was doing well. Much to his surprise, Jeongguk was laying on the bed; dead asleep. There were cups and a half-eaten lunch on the bedside table, Yoongi’s heart churned at it. It meant Jeongguk had been feeling unwell since he usually finishes his meal without any trace left but looking at the plate, it looked like it hasn’t been touched at all.

Jeongguk tossed and turn in his sleep, eyebrows furrowed as if he was having a nightmare. Yoongi carefully fixed his blanket and covered him with it properly and he tried to caress the younger’s forehead, getting rid of the disturbance Jeongguk was feeling.

He looked like he hasn’t eaten for days seeing how hollowed Jeongguk’s cheeks were, his boyish featured replaced with a brooding, greyscaled version of him. Jeongguk looked unhealthy, truth be told. His lips were pale and chappy, the shadow under his eyes turned even darker than it was and the apple of his cheeks replaced with a sharp cheekbone which was never there before, it had always been the red, apples of Jeongguk’s cheeks.

“He looked sick when he got here,” Doctor Sekiguchi said behind him causing Yoongi to jump from shock.

“Did he came by on his own?” Yoongi asked which the Doctor replied with a nod, “He should have told me and you should have called, Doctor. This clearly was something serious” Yoongi firmly said, gritting his teeth in annoyance as he should be the first one to know.

“He did come by one his own but I should leave it to Jeongguk to explain the rest to you,” Doctor said, exiting before checking up on Jeongguk shortly.

Yoongi decided to buy some food and drinks for Jeongguk to eat once he wakes up and once he was back in the ward, at the same time, Jeongguk also woke up from his deep sleep. The latter was shocked the second he saw his best friend but eventually smiled apologetically at him, seeming like he had done something wrong which was half-true but it wasn’t something Yoongi should be furious about.

“Nice seeing you here” Jeongguk joked, voice much raspier than before yet he still smiled at Yoongi. The latter handed him a cup of water to which Jeongguk drank in one gulp.

“I was worried sick, you know that?” Yoongi deadpanned said, sitting stiffly on the chair beside Jeongguk’s bed. Jeongguk was still on his bed, saying he had no energy to move at all; he felt tired and that made Yoongi panic, asking the nurses to check up on him and make sure there was nothing wrong with his best friend.

The nurses reassured Yoongi it was nothing bad, Jeongguk caught a fever and had already drunk his medicines, he just needed to take some rest and drink more water, that eased Yoongi’s tension building upon his shoulder.

“You don’t have to worry about anything, Yoongi. I am perfectly fine” Jeongguk weakly smiled. Yoongi heaved a sigh, peeling a banana for Jeongguk and bringing it to the younger’s lips who took a very tiny bit to it.

“You look horrible, like a zombie” Yoongi complained, deeply concerned about the sudden depleting of Jeongguk’s health recently. Yoongi once more lifted the banana on to the younger’s lips who shook his head, declining it.

“One last bite” Yoongi said as to which Jeongguk proceeded to take another tiny bite. After that, Yoongi set the banana aside over the bedside table, “Are you tired?” Yoongi softly asked. Jeongguk weakly nodded in return and closed his eyes, quickly drifting off to sleep.

Yoongi decided to stay for the night, he was debating to whether skip class the next day or not but knowing Jeongguk, he’d blame himself if he misses even one class for him. So, he texted his parents to bring him a new set of uniform by tomorrow after he explained everything to his parents.

They’ll be able to hear the results tomorrow and whether Yoongi likes it or not, they needed to hear it. So they’ll know which step to make and what to prevent.

The next day came so fast, Jeongguk felt no nervousness at all or was it because he was having a fever and it was too tiring to feel anything at all. He was basically emotionally numb on this day, too tired to even lift a finger or open his eyes.

Before Yoongi could go and report to the school, Doctor Sekiguchi came inside the ward with the results on hand. Jeongguk could see the panic and fear in Yoongi’s eyes and he felt so helpless that his best friend felt that way, he should not have to feel that way but understands him, he always does.

“I should say it here without further dragging the elephant in the room” Doctor Sekiguchi started before scanning on to his clipboard. The doctor cleared his throat and face Jeongguk who was so weak to muster any coherent words.

“Yesterday we had a series of tests for you and exams. Seeing how slightly high your blood pressure was yesterday compared to the previous days was alarming, it could have caused a subarachnoid hemorrhage which meant that your aneurysm would have ruptured if your blood pressure was a little higher. Once it bleeds, you need to go under a surgery immediately but good thing it did not rupture which is great” the doctor explained, Jeongguk clearly heard him and felt nervous of the sudden mention of going under surgery.

Jeongguk was unaware that Yoongi was now holding his hands, more probably calming himself than trying to calm Jeongguk.

“If your aneurysm bleeds or ruptures, it will cause complications in your brain, it’ll directly damage your brain. You might be feeling a sudden severe headache that can last for hours or days, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness or even coma, Jeongguk. This is a serious issue, if it bleeds, it might also cause a hemorrhagic that can lead to paralysis or weakness of your arm or leg, trouble to speak or understand, it will also cause vision problems and seizures”

The look on Yoongi’s face broke Jeongguk as he was close to tearing up upon hearing Doctor Sekiguchi’s explanation. He wasn’t aware this was getting too serious and it was so overwhelming to comprehend especially when his fever prevented him from thinking clearly.

“Please be reminded, Jeongguk, you should not feel something too strongly. You cannot get overly happy or upset, you need to balance your emotions because feeling too much will resort to the following I said before” the doctor reminded him several times again, Jeongguk was sick of listening to it. He understood it too well and he loathed it so much.

Jeongguk weakly nodded in response, “I need to be careful. I got it. Are you done because I am so tired” he didn’t mean to snap but he was having the worst headache and time today that he just want to sleep it off.

“That was all. I should leave you to rest, we will be taking your blood in the next four hours. Rest well, Jeongguk” Doctor Sekiguchi said before exiting the room to his office to attend to another patient.

Yoongi was rather silent standing beside him. He had let go of his hand the moment the doctor was out the door, “You seem silent” Jeongguk softly said as he scooted to a much comfortable spot to sleep.

“You must have felt overly upset during our fight, right?” Yoongi asked and Jeongguk couldn’t lie to him so he slowly nodded earning Yoongi to heave a deep sigh as he closed his eyes, “I promise to never upset you anymore. I don’t want to see you so weak right now and as much as I want to be a good student, I want to stay here and take care of you” Yoongi said but Jeongguk was not having it.

“We swore to each other that no one gets in our way when it’s about our studies and especially now, that applies” Jeongguk firmly said even as weak as he is right now, he reprimanded his best friend to skip class just for this. It was not worth it, so Yoongi nodded.

“I think it would take me a little more days before I can get out in this hole,” Jeongguk said earning a chuckle from Yoongi, “Yeah, seeing how ty you look it would take you at least a week to recover and I will be here every day” he said. Yoongi will always be by Jeongguk’s side, supporting him and keeping him going during the roughest moments in his life, he’s thankful and in debt to him. So he’ll try to recover as fast as he can, take the prescribed medicines and do what the nurse asks him to do just to be back on track.

“Hand this to Jimin when you see him” Jeongguk said as he handed Yoongi five lollipops which the latter was confused at, staring down at the lollipop on his palm.

“I am his lollipop dealer” Jeongguk simply said before burying himself inside his blanket, tiredness weighing down on his eyes. He heard Yoongi chuckle before retrieving his bag and exited the ward, now it was now Jeongguk, the quiet and the smell of alcohols and medicines he has grown all too familiar with.

The disappointment was an understatement when Jimin heard Jeongguk won’t be back until next week from Yoongi but before Yoongi left Jimin in his misery, he handed five lollipops to him saying, “This was given from your lollipop dealer”

“He said that, right?” Jimin chuckled, receiving five lollipops as his stomach did some weird flips inside, Jimin had the urge to giggle but resisted.

Once Yoongi was out of his line of sight, he sheepishly smiled at himself and skipped his merry way to the library. Jeongguk might not be in his presence but he was sweet enough to think about him and the lollipops.

Jimin abruptly stopped dead on his tracks, breath hitched upon realizing the most bizarre thing. Was he slowly getting to like Jeongguk? He insisted Jeongguk was never his type and his feelings were temporary but the more he and Jeongguk hang out, the more he gets to know the younger one, the more his fondness grew and the more he gets to be himself and be comfortable in Jeongguk’s presence.

His heart beating so fast like he just came from a marathon, sweats glistening on his forehead as he stared at nothing in particular. his chapped lips, he heaved a deep sigh as he started walking back to his club room, trying to dismiss the thought but it would always bounce back to those pair of doe-like eyes.

The days without Jeongguk was excruciating, he was unable to focus on his notes without searching for Jeongguk’s warmth beside him. Jimin deemed himself to be a person who’s independent but whenever it came to that specific raven-haired kid, he’d always find ways to cling on to him and be in his presence.

Jimin banged his hardbound book on the desk earning some series of shhh from students and some pair of eyes looking at him. He apologized, slightly bowing his head towards them then retreated back to what he was doing. Leaning further on the wooden chair, he groaned in annoyance. Oh how being away from Jeongguk had this effect on him.

No matter how hard he tried to shake the thought of him, it’d still linger at the back of his mind. He had never felt this way before, he admits he dated people here and there but it wasn’t a fiery passion like how he slowly starts feeling right now. He was not aware of the absence of Jeongguk made him think and delve on his feelings even more.

Sometimes when he walks on the campus hallways, he’d meet Yoongi and the apologetic smile on Yoongi makes Jimin wonder what Yoongi knew. Usually, he’d give him a slight nod but it the sudden change came together after meeting Jeongguk. Yoongi surely knew something more than he let on and more about why Jeongguk was frequently absent at school, it was not normal for students.

The moment Jimin and Yoongi met at the hallway once again, Jimin gripped on Yoongi’s arm which earned him a questioning look. Jimin retreated his hand back to his side remembering Yoongi was older than him, “What’s up, Jimin?” Yoongi asked.

Jimin’s cheeks felt hot at the thought of the question he’ll be asking Yoongi, he glanced at the Yoongi’s eyes and he was sure he could see through him but also the tiredness in Yoongi’s eyes were evident. Jimin assumed it was the effects of the workloads piling up each day.

“Can I ask you a question?” Jimin carefully asked, afraid of ticking the older off but later was relieved when Yoongi nonchalantly nodded. Why would Jimin feel so intimidated and afraid of the older one when he’s just asking once harmless question?

“As I student body president” Jimin started oh god why did he have to mention his status “it has come into my attention that Jeongguk has been frequently been absent in his class for not only this week but the days prior, too. Is this something serious that we should be worried about?” Jimin asked and he could see Yoongi’s jaw clenching like he was trying to hide something but this was no time for Jimin to be accusatory, he willingly accepts any explanation Yoongi provides.

Yoongi cleared his throat as he rubbed his nape looking nervous, this was the first time Jimin saw the nervousness in the older’s eyes.

“It is something really personal that I can’t discuss with you, Jimin. I am sorry” Yoongi said, Jimin felt the sincerity in his words and Jimin understood. Who was he to meddle in Jeongguk’s life when he just appeared in his life just so recently? Jimin does not demand much, as long as Jeongguk’s fine and healthy, all is good.

“Thank you and don’t worry it’s fine” Jimin replied to which Yoongi gave him a small smile. There was awkwardness in the air after that, just then standing in the empty hallway as they face each other.

Before Jimin could open his mouth to escape the awkward air, what Yoongi left him speechless and beading with heavy sweat.

“You like Jeongguk, right?”

Those words drove Jimin unable to coherent proper words, closing and opening his mouth like a fish out on the land, away from the waters. The sudden beating of its heart quickened his pace as he stared at Yoongi like he knows all of his deepest secrets.

“Y-yoongi” Jimin attempted to reply but Yoongi cut him off quick before he could even finish “I just want to know and you do, please don’t hurt him” Yoongi pleaded, seeing how Yoongi cares so much about Jeongguk made his heart churn because yes, the kid deserves someone that cares and loves him selflessly, asking for nothing in return and would it be better if there would be another person to give him an equal amount of care and love?

Jimin choked hearing his thoughts, “I- I am not sure yet but I swear I won’t hurt him, Yoongi” he swore. He would never hurt someone as pure and as sincere like Jeongguk because there was no reason to. Jeongguk had been nothing but his energy pill and happy pill; he is thankful for that.

The last words Yoongi left Jimin wonder and curious about Jeongguk’s life outside Osaka. He wanted to know more about the younger one, know what he was like when he was a child, know more about his family and his youthful life back in Okinawa.

The happenings during the day drained Jimin so much that he decided to stay at home inside his room and lay lazily without even planning to study for the entrance exams but his peaceful moment was unfortunately interrupted but the presence of someone nosy and talkative, Taehyung.

“What’s with the gloomy clouds?” Taehyung asked, bouncing on Jimin’s mattress, referring to Jimin’s brooding expression. Jimin whined, tossing and turning on his bed as Taehyung was looking at him fondly. One's misery and the other one entertainment.

Jimin slowly inhaled and exhaled, trying to calm himself and dismiss the thought clouding in his mind. Lately, his mind has been full of the thought of the boy’s doe-like eyes and his adorable bunny teeth. Jimin was unaware of the growing smile plastered on his face which to Taehyung was an alert that Jimin had someone in mind and may have had a little crush on that said someone.  

“Who’s the lucky guy this time?” Taehyung teased, poking on Jimin’s side to spill on who he was thinking about.

Jimin groaned in response, trying to slap Taehyung’s hand away from his side, “There’s no one. Stop it” he said, rolling over to the corner of the bed to avoid Taehyung’s attempts to let him spill his thoughts.

“I know that look and you look whipped, dude. I am getting diabetes just by the sight of your stupid grin” Taehyung teased, laughing in the process as Jimin’s threw a pillow right at his direction, the pillow flying flat on his face.

“You’re just jealous you have no one to think about and make you all giggly” Jimin said, sticking a tongue out at Taehyung who jumped out in delight. Jimin was confused over his best friend’s reaction but then realized his mistake of outing himself out to Taehyung.

“I made you admit, you loser” Taehyung jumped up and down in glee as Jimin sulked on hi bed seeing how stupid his best friend into admitting how he actually has a crush on someone, “It’s not temporary like you said, huh?” Taehyung asked, sending Jimin a knowing look.

Jimin continued to groan, burying his face on the pillow, avoiding any form of contact with Taehyung. If he does admit it verbally, it would be official and he does not want to admit it yet as he was still so confused but why does he feel so sure about his feelings.

“I’m still not sure, Taehyung” Jimin flatly said which confused Taehyung, coming up near him as Jimin laid still on his bed.

“What do you mean not sure? Love is simple and easy” Taehyung replied, he became all serious now, mirroring the serious air around Jimin. The latter scooted to seat and lean on the headboard, tilting his head in confusion, he said what he said and Taehyung would not understand that.

“People are the ones who make the simplest thing complicated. If you care for him, if you want his happiness before your own happiness then that’s love. You do not have to determine when you’d like him or not, when your heart jumps just by the thought or sight of him then you must feel something for him, it is as easy as that” Taehyung’s words lingered in Jimin’s mind, making him think twice of his feelings towards someone in particular.

“You are probably thinking about Jeongguk, right?” Taehyung nonchalantly asked like it wasn’t much of a big matter at hand. Jimin, on the other hand, panicked, eyes darting out at his best friends who just gave him a shrug, “It’s pretty obvious” Taehyung added which did not help Jimin at all.

“What’s setting you back then? And don’t tell me it’s Genji because I would totally smack some inanimate object near me on your head” Jimin shook his head upon the mention of the person he loathed for, “No way” Jimin coldly said, “Why would you think that?”

“You’re not doing something about your feelings for Jeongguk and it’s driving me kinda crazy because I see the way you look at him, how your eyes would immediately soften just the mere sight of him” Taehyung explained, Jimin was flustered upon hearing the words that came out of Taehyung’s lips. Was he really that obvious?

“I think Jeongguk even liked you seeing how he naturally gravitates towards you like a satellite or a puppy and his eyes would all go crescent when you tell him the most boring jokes” Taehyung added, this overwhelmed Jimin yet also had offended him, “Excuse me, my jokes aren’t that bad” he said which Taehyung just rolled his eyes in the process, “Sure it is”

“For the record, that’s what Jeongguk normally is, he is kind and adorable who appreciates even the little things,” Jimin said, Jeongguk is everything good in the world in Jimin’s eyes and even most probably in everyone’s eyes.

“Then why hold back?” With that simple question, Jimin held his breath, gaze downcast as he remembered the reason why.

“Last year of senior, Tae. Everything will change after that and I don’t want to risk it” Jimin explained, once he is settled in a University, everything will change since he will be far away from Jeongguk once that day comes while Jeongguk would still be in his 2nd year of senior high. The fear of separation is loud and clear and he would most likely latch on to the younger and give up his place on the University of his dreams and just register at the nearest University in Osaka.

He has all his future completely planned out even before Jeongguk came in the picture and what would he do if he took the risk of being with Jeongguk? His plans? It would surely be in chaos and his order will all be wrecked just because of one boy. He knows how he loves one person, he gives it all, it’s all or nothing and he was afraid of that.

“Just give it a shot?” Taehyung suggested and Jimin just couldn’t, shaking his head as he was reminded by Yoongi’s words.

“But Yoongi said something that had never left my mind ever since” Jimin started, Taehyung scooted nearer to him to hear him clearly, “He said that I should take good care of him and never even hurt him since he has been through a lot and it made me wonder what made him say that. All of us have gone through so much, every person has its story but what if Jeongguk’s story is much more than hurting his feelings and past lovers like it usually are for some people?” Jimin made no sense as he was laying his thoughts all out to the open, him wondering over Jeongguk’s story and his past.

“You know that you have to actually be much closer than now to be able to know his story. You know that, right?” Taehyung matter-of-factly said which earned another groan from Jimin, “Let me figure it all out next time” he said, burying his face back to the pillow and wrapping himself in his duvet.

“Discussion over. I am already tired” Jimin said, muffled voice as he still has his face buried in the pillow. Taehyung shrugged even though Jimin isn’t able to see it “If you say so”.

The weekends were spent Yoongi constantly peeling apples for Jeongguk, “I don’t understand why you’d choose to not eat the apple’s skin, it’s fiber which is good for you” Yoongi explained for a dozen times but knowing Jeongguk’s childish personality, Yoongi’s words pass by through his other ear.

“Ah~” Jeongguk sighed in relief as he placed both arms behind his head, comfortably lying down on the hospital bed, “The perks of being sick, getting spoiled by everyone,” he said which a proud grin on his face which Yoongi wished he could wipe it off.

“Too bad you’re getting discharged tomorrow” Yoongi broke the news, Jeongguk’s grin immediately turned upside down. Tomorrow morning, he’ll be out of the hospital and he’d go back right away to school since he missed a week's worth of discussion and quizzes, the downside of being sick.

“You do not have to remind me” Jeongguk groaned, already too tired just by the thought of it.

Yoongi could finally say Jeongguk is well and healthy yet the hollow cheeks and the defined jawline was evident on his face, he had lost an amount of weight and he just hopes the students would stop themselves from asking Jeongguk what happened to him over and over.

Yoongi examined the changes in Jeongguk features, the shadow under his eyes were lighter than before yet it was still there, the hollowed cheeks, his sharp cheekbones appeared to be sharper than it was and his chin is a little bit sharper than before. The change is indeed evident even Jeongguk was able to see it when he was in the comfort room brushing his teeth the days prior.

“I look horrible huh?” Jeongguk said, startling Yoongi when he was staring at nothing in particular. Yoongi nodded, never having the intention to lie to the younger one, he looked like a living corpse; hair disheveled, lips pale and chappy, face thinning and at how his skin was so pale. So, truth be told, he looks horrible but hopefully, he’d get the vitamin d he deserves and maybe he’d look decent enough.

“With a shower, you’ll probably look much decent,” Yoongi said which made Jeongguk chuckle, “Too blunt but thanks,” he said as he lifted his fist up for a fist bump which Yoongi happily bumped his fist to Jeongguk’s.

“Excited to meet Jimin again?” Yoongi cautiously asked to which caused Jeongguk to go beat red, Yoongi noticed how the younger suddenly became shy, both ears a tint of red and it was cute. Jeongguk never had someone he liked back in Okinawa, sure he had little crushes that lasted a week but in this case, he had never seen the younger one being so flustered upon the mention of a name.

“What’s with the question?” Jeongguk asked, rubbing the back of his neck, usually a habit whenever he’s embarrassed or flustered.

Yoongi was having fun with the sight and think this is good for Jeongguk, he knows being overly happy messes with his health but nothing but a little happiness won’t hurt, right?

“Nothing. You both look cute, that’s all” Yoongi said, he usually does not say those kinds of things that is why Jeongguk’s eyes widened in shock, in disbelief of what Yoongi said.

“You must have eaten something expire, Yoongi” Jeongguk said in disbelief, eyebrows furrowed as Yoongi had to hold in a chuckle. The older one shook his head, telling Jeongguk how he is fine and how he meant what he said, “I am just saying and I support your happiness” Yoongi added.

Jeongguk softly smiled at Yoongi as to which he returned, “Thank you, Yoongi. I won’t disappoint you” Jeongguk said and Yoongi believed him, trusting the younger one in every decision he will make in the future, he will be by his side; supporting him.

The day after, Jeongguk felt better compared to the previous days. He didn’t feel nauseous and sick at all and he felt like another person. He looked at his reflection and let out a disappointed sigh, everyone’s going to notice it and they’ll be asking him questions which stress him out since he is tired of keeping his illness a secret but he has to, there was no other choice.

Yoongi came up beside him, examining Jeongguk’s face on the mirror, “You’re going to be fine, little soldier. Don’t worry about the curious glances and the questions” Yoongi reassured him, bringing his hand over his head to pat it. It’s going to be a new day and Jeongguk dismissed the ill-thought crippling in his mind. So he nodded and put on his best smile.

The daily assembly started quite later in this particular day and it wasn’t that often their assemblies in the gymnasium get delayed and it was because of the rain outside, it was a fairly good excuse for students to be late due to the heavy rain early in the morning.

Jimin was standing patiently at the corner of the stage where the student body president usually is, he’d give a daily speech and this day was not an exception. Once the students have occupied the gym, some soaked in rain and some not, the assembly started.

The school director announced daily updates and incoming activities, also didn’t fail to announce the nearing school exam which halted all extracurricular activities for the coming weeks, some students were against it and some totally understood. Club activities were also paused for the coming weeks, it was the protocol and students should never go against it or there will be penalties for them.

As soon as the school director ended his announcement, Jimin walked towards the platform and gave one of his speech to the students. Basically updates for each and every club organizations which was nothing special.

Just as he was about to end the speech, his eyes landed on to the oh-so-familiar features of the person he has not met for a whole week, in the middle of the stage, Jimin choked on his words earning students to chuckle and look at him in worry. He cleared his throat and gave the speech flawlessly as his eyes would often find its way back to Jeongguk who had his focus strayed on the heavy rainfall outside.

Despite the coldness in the air, Jimin warmed up by the sight of the younger, already forgetting the sharp cold of the air inside the gymnasium. The solemn expression warmed him up. The change in Jeongguk’s feature did not grow unnoticed by Jimin, he felt the sinking feeling in his chest and hopefully, no one noticed it. So, to avoid distracting himself, he ended the speech quickly and dismissed all the students to go back to their homeroom.

Time exceptionally was moving slowly today. It had felt like three hours passed but in actuality, only one hour had passed. Jimin grew impatient, his feet restless as he taps on the ground and his finger drumming over his desk impatiently, earning curious glance from his classmates.

He knew why he was impatient and as much as he’d like to deny it, it was true. He couldn’t wait to meet Jeongguk and feel his warmth in his presence once again. Though it only had been a week without the younger one but it almost felt like it was more than that.

Growing so excited every minute and hour that passed, the more the clock ticks the more he is closer to meeting Jeongguk once again. He admits he never have been this excited over someone before and it scares and excites him at the same time. He doesn’t know how this will go but he just knows he wants Jeongguk to be in his presence, in his life.

The discussion has gone unheard by Jimin for he was too busy thinking about one particular person and unknowingly started to write doodles and scribbles on his notes. Palms against his cheek as his elbow rests over his desk, very into his doodles that time has started passing quickly. Jimin jumped on his seat, startled once the bell for lunch rang. Collecting his notes and book to keep it under the desk, he gasped so loud upon seeing the series of doodles on his notes. Good thing most students have already dashed outside the room to get the freshest meal and hottest bread from the cafeteria.

Jimin held his notes and stared at it, doodles of Jeongguk’s galaxy-filled orbs, a sketch of his lips with the beauty mark added below his bottom lip and random scribbles of his initials on his notes. Jimin felt so embarrassed, cheeks tinged with red as he hurriedly closed his notes and shove it deep inside his bag. Remind me to bury it inside my drawer when I get home.

As soon as he was back to reality, he realized it was the lunch break so he sprinted out the room without even sparing a glance at the mouthwatering bread and curries as he passed by the cafeteria, too excited to reach the library.

Just before he could pull the heavy glass door to the library, he froze by the sound of a familiar voice from a distance beside him. He turned his head by the side and was welcomed by the sight of the person he had been waiting for, he let out a shaky breath before fully facing the younger one.

“Too excited to see me, Jiminie?” Jeongguk teased, despite the thinning of his face, his boyish feature still stood out and his youthful smile making Jimin’s inside flip. Jimin still was left speechless upon Jeongguk’s presence, feeling his warmth in his space as he grew closer and closer to him until they were in front of each other.

Jeongguk ruffled Jimin’s hair earning to be such a blushing mess which ended up Jeongguk chuckling in fondness, “I-I’m not” Jimin softly replied, afraid his voice would quiver once he suddenly spoke.

“I bet you are, seeing how you didn’t even bring your reviewers with you and a sandwich. Admit it, Jiminie. You miss me” Jeongguk further and Jimin realized he actually did not bring any reviewer, literally nothing on his hand.  He was too excited to see Jeongguk’s face that he has forgotten everything just to get to him and maybe that made him bunch up the courage to actually reply Jeongguk frankly, “What if I did?” he confidently asked, yet internally panicking.

Jeongguk’s eyes widened at the unexpected reply from Jimin. Let’s see who’s flustering now. Jimin internally chuckled at Jeongguk’s shocked expression, he still looked so cute in Jimin’s eyes.

Jimin saw how Jeongguk’s shocked expression morphed into something warm, his gaze landing on the older one with a soft smile plastered on his lips, “I have missed you, too” he honestly said. That made his heart beat erratically. Jimin didn’t know if he’d bury himself six feet deep or cry, he’s feeling all sorts of emotions in a span of a minute.

Jeongguk handed him a sandwich with a wide grin on his face, “I knew you’d be too excited to see me so I got one for you and here…” he said as he handed him an orange juice. Jeongguk is really making it hard for Jimin not to not like him and it’s a mix of emotions but he was happy, there’s nothing to complain about.

“Thank you” Jimin shyly accepted the sandwich and juice before Jeongguk dragged him to a vacant bench just outside the library to eat their lunch before they go inside the library even though Jimin had nothing to review to.

Once they were inside their usual spot in the library, Jimin plucked random books just to distract himself and avoid the awkward air. Jeongguk, on the other hand, was unbothered, his eyes gazing out the window as he was watching the withering flowers from the tree. Summer is really coming.

Jimin turned his gaze from the outside to the person beside him, Jeongguk has awfully been quiet ever since they got in. It was deafening silent but Jimin couldn’t bring himself to break the silence between them, however, he has his gaze locked in at Jeongguk. The shadow under Jeongguk’s eyes evident due to the sun’s soft rays, Jimin wondered what made Jeongguk slim down and look so tired. What could have caused it and why but despite it all, Jeongguk’s boyish grin overtook his stressed features.

“You can stop staring at me now” Jeongguk broke the silence, chuckling as he took his gaze away from the view outside. The tint of red started to blossom on Jimin’s cheeks and he hurriedly took his eyes off the younger though the latter has already noticed it.

“Am not!” Jimin stubbornly denied, looking at the other direction to avoid the younger to see his blushing cheek. Jimin froze in his seat the moment he felt Jeongguk ruffling his hair, “You’re cute, Jiminie” he said. Jimin slowly looks at the younger, now grinning from ear to ear as he kept ruffling the older’s hair.

“I was just wondering why you’ve gotten so thin” Jimin carefully said. Jeongguk retreated his hands from Jimin’s hair, Jimin wouldn’t want to admit it but he already misses the younger’s touch, missing his warmth.

Jeongguk’s smiled warmly at him that makes him want to melt like a pile of goo on the floor as his heart raced. Today was definitely different compared to the days where he and Jeongguk would constantly hang out. Something has changed and he can feel it in the air.

“Sorry for lying at you the other day. I just had a fever the past week and now I am great” Jeongguk explained, grinning as he tried to make the conversation lively but Jimin had worried line on his forehead, “Fever? Are you fine now?” Jimin made sure which Jeongguk delightedly nodded.

“I lose weight fast. You must be really worried seeing how I look but I am totally fine” Jeongguk reassured him and Jimin just wanted to nod and get it over with but some part of him wanted to know the younger ones deepest secret because it seems like Jeongguk is still keeping him on the other side of the wall, have not completely broken down every brick for Jimin to know him better.

“You don’t have to worry, okay?” The Okinawan said. Jimin heaved a deep sigh and nodded, “Okay. If you say so” and so Jimin buried the worried thoughts deep inside his mind and just ignored it.

After the lunch break and after Jeongguk offered Jimin another lollipop, Jeongguk made his way to the lockers to change into his gym clothes as Physical Education was his next class. Once he jogged towards the gymnasium, their PE teacher halted him to a stop and advised him to just watch on the bleachers since the faculty made sure Jeongguk was perfectly fine once he goes playing basketball with his fellow classmates.

“I am perfectly fine, Mr. Nogae” Jeongguk reassure him but Mr. Nogae shook his head, “We’ll let you play after two days, okay? The faculty is just worried over your health so we just want to make sure” he apologetically explained.

This is what Jeongguk was avoiding, now that they sensed something is wrong with his health, they’ll treat him like some fragile being who is incapable of being able to shoot a single hoop. Jeongguk loathed special treatments and this is one of the reasons why he does not want anyone else to know of his illness.

So he just nodded and gave in to the teacher’s words like a good student that he is. His classmates started crowding the center of the gymnasium as Jeongguk sat on one of the bleachers, watching them in pure envy and itching to just go and shoot some hoops with them.

“Teach, how come Jeongguk is doing nothing there on the bleachers?” Genji asked, he’s the same level as him but in a different section. Rumors said he was a repeater and later did Jeongguk know that he was indeed a repeater since he usually hangs out with the upper year.

Genji pointed right at Jeongguk which the latter lowered his head in embarrassment. It’s not like Mr. Nogae gave him an option.

“He is still fresh from the hospital, Genji. That’s the faculty are giving him a free pass. Health comes first” Mr. Nogae explained. Genji’s must be having a rather bad day when he still has not dropped the topic.

“It must be great being sick, huh?” The moment the words reached Jeongguk’s ears he immediately landed his gaze at Genji who was staring at him, a mocking expression proudly plastered on his features. Jeongguk grew sick just seeing at how the other was looking at him, mockery and annoyance.

He loathed the sly smirk, the playful eyes glint with anger. Jeongguk it all in, he never was the person who likes starting chaos but Genji was the perfect person who loves starting chaos and unnecessary feud.

“Genji, just drop it. Jeongguk is sick” One classmate said. Genji just ignored them and strided towards Jeongguk. Jeongguk was never a person who start fights but he was also never a person who is intimidated by some presence of a possible bully. So that’s why his eyes still lingered on Genji as the latter walked towards him.

“You seem to be healthy enough to shoot hoops, why not go down there and just do the ing activity” Genji loudly spoke, making it clear that he was in control of the situation.

Jeongguk glanced at him, “The faculty said I am not allowed to. I am just following what they’re saying” he replied as Genji hilariously laughed at him in no particular reason.

“Just listen to this kid” Genji laughed as he clenched his stomach “Listening to his accent just makes you want to cry on how funny it sounds. Seriously a land full of idiots I may say”

“That’s not cool, Genji” Another student retorted which Jeongguk was glad that someone got his back but he still felt humiliated and disgusted because everyone’s eyes were on him and Genji. It made him sick in the stomach.

“You’re now being a bully, Genji”

“Just leave Jeongguk alone”

Jeongguk wanted to cry and run away as far as possible from the gymnasium but he was unable to move at how embarrassed he is. One move and people’s eyes are going to follow him and it’s the least he would want to do.

“You’re delaying the class. You should just go back and shoot some hoops, Genji” Jeongguk said, all his emotions in and gritting his teeth as spoke. It was something brave he did but what scared him is that it would probably back fire and he was right seeing Genji’s surprised expression morphed into something so vile and vengeful.

“Get your in here, Mr. Genji Iwasho or I am going to send you to detention. This is the first warning” Mr. Nogae finally spoke and it eased Jeongguk a little bit but he was still tensed on his seat as Genji’s eyes remained burning with anger as he’s looking at angry. Jeongguk accepted the challenge and yes, he would probably regret it but he already took a step into it.

Genji scoffed in disbelief before walking down the bleachers to the center of the gymnasium, about to start doing some stretching and shooting some hoops.

After the class ended, they retreated back to the locker room to change their PE uniform back to their school uniform. Jeongguk was already on edge upon walking towards the locker room, he knew what was coming and he was ready for it.

And he was right, after the locker room cleared out, Genji pushed him on one of the metal lockers earning a hiss of pain from Jeongguk, “Listen here country boy” Genji sneered and Jeongguk just wanted to spit on his annoying face but held back, “You are no match from me. Try talking back to me and you’ll see what I can do” Genji said in finality before shoving Jeongguk once again on the metal locker before storming off of the room.

Jeongguk slid on the ground as he was coughing loudly, he needed to get out of here and find Yoongi as soon as possible.

 


a/n: it's going on a fun turn :D genji is an :D anyways it's going to get more serious. if you have questions just head down to my curiouscat. see you next week.