Chapter 5

from here

a jikook series - from here


 

Yoongi dashed towards the infirmary as he was unable to find Jeongguk anywhere around the campus until Jeongguk’s classmate pointed out where the latter was. He busted through the doors of the infirmary and skidded towards his best friends who has the crown of his head peeking out from the blanket.

The older got a pillow from the other bed and threw it at Jeongguk’s direction which instantly woke the latter up. Jeongguk immediately sat up and searched for the culprit guilty for waking him up. Yoongi crossed his arms in front of the younger one to acknowledge his presence and once Jeongguk finally laid his eyes on Yoongi, his eyes widened in surprise which Yoongi found endearing at the sight of Jeongguk’s tousled wavy hair in every direction just like how he sees him every time he wakes up in the morning.

“I have been looking everywhere for you, ” Yoongi complained, he felt the sadness in the air when Jeongguk lowered his gaze on the pillow on this hand as he rubbed his nape, a sign of nervousness, “I knew it was a bad decision to drag you to school right away after getting admitted” Yoongi sighed in frustration and worry. The more the younger stayed in Osaka, the more his health was at risk, the thought of just moving back to Okinawa stayed in Yoongi’s mind ever since last week and he might think it is a great idea but diving into it without Jeongguk’s knowing might risk their relationship.

“I got to rest a little. I am fine now” Jeongguk replied, Yoongi studied his face and he may look like a walking zombie but he could see Jeongguk getting healthier and healthier every day. Baby steps until Jeongguk gets back on his normal health.

Yoongi sighed in relief, he has been tensed these past few weeks but what matters the most is Jeongguk’s health. No matter how important education is for him, he always make Jeongguk his number one priority, he does not want to make Jeongguk’s parents down since he said so himself he will take care of Jeongguk as long as he is alive, “Good. Now, let’s pack up and go home” he said. Jeongguk grinned and nodded his head before getting out of the bed and started walking out the infirmary with his brother. Who says you need to be blood-related to be brothers.

“Take care of yourself, little kid” Yoongi said as they exited the room, patting the younger on the crown of his head. This has been really rough for Jeongguk, Yoongi just knows but somehow they will suffice and get back on track like how Jeongguk’s first day in Osaka was like. He will make it better for both of them and most importantly for Jeongguk.

The day went fast when one is busy and Jimin loves and loathes the thought of being busy but he also loves it when in a blink of an eye, it was already time for dismissal. Now that the exams are drawing near, Jimin felt the weight on his shoulders getting heavier, he still needs to review more and make sure he passes this exam, there is no option for him to fail.

He was preoccupied in studying in his study table when Taehyung barged in his room earning him to jump in his seat, surprised at the sound of the door hitting the wall. Jimin whipped his head in Taehyung’s direction, the latter held an ice cream in the air. Jimin took it once Taehyung was within his radius and began to on the melted part of the ice cream. He might convince himself he needed to review more but his body craved for even just a minute away from the books, so Jimin stood up and went to his bed where Taehyung is also at.

“Were you even studying?” Jimin asked at the same time on the vanilla flavored ice cream, Taehyung gave him a shrug as he bit on the ice cream cone, already halfway done with his food.

Jimin rolled his eyes, typical of Taehyung to cram a day before the actual exam. Jimin glanced at the pile of reviewers on his desk and thought about how different Taehyung and he was to each other but seem to have found similarities between each other and as year come by, call themselves soulmates. Jimin was impressed and inspired over how free of a person Taehyung is, not even his illness could restrain him from living his life to the fullest while here Jimin is, healthy and free of illness but he could feel retrains around him, the pressure of the future and what’s frustrating is he put himself in that situation. Neither his friends or his parents tried to force him to a specific field but himself, he puts this pressure in himself to attain for something bigger in the future.

“Loosen up, Mr. President” Taehyung said, Jimin didn’t know the exact reason why but hearing Taehyung say that made his heart jump. He might know the reason why but he tried to forcefully ignore it, oh how his mind immediately gravitated to one specific kid.

“I will, once this first term exam is over” Jimin replied, no matter how he tried to live a life freely, he’d always worry about what his future will be and how little mistakes he make will gradually ruin the future that he tried to carefully shape everyday.

Taehyung rolled his eyes, of course he expected Jimin to be academically driven “I bet you can’t even ditch class for once” Taehyung said which made Jimin bulge his eyes out in shock.

“Why would I do such a thing?” Jimin asked, probably offended at the thought of skipping classes just for the sake of having fun and doing not school-related things outside the campus on a weekday.

“Students probably have tried skipping classes every once in a while, I even heard the student body president in another campus skips classes, too,” Taehyung said in delight as his smile grew wider and eyes sparkling in excitement. He must really find the thought of it very exciting and fun but to Jimin, it was nothing but trouble and bad grades.

“Have you tried?” Jimin unexpectedly asked Taehyung to which the latter scoffed, “I wish. Remember, I am homeschooled and I can’t really ditch my own home to avoid the professor, huh?” Taehyung replied and Jimin wanted to smack himself across the face, of course, how dumb could he get?

“But!” Taehyung’s smile grew wide again, eyes glistening in excitement and Jimin could feel this was going to cause him in a big trouble, “You should try skipping class at least once, Jimin” Taehyung suggested and Jimin guessed right. The thought about skipping class never crossed his mind and if it ever does, it would scream trouble but why does it sound also so alluring?

It may be because Taehyung knew Jimin so well or he could see Jimin’s wavering eyes, “You’d surely do it” his best friend said like he was able to see Jimin’s future. He cannot deny how tempting it sounds but he should not go against school rules, skipping classes would also tamper his perfect attendance and he would not want his grades to falter just because of a single rebelling.

Jimin shook his head, “Never going to happen” he said as he tries to shake the thought away because that should never have lingered in his mind in the first place. Jimin felt he needed to save himself from the thought and proceeded to climb back on his chair and face his reviewers. He could hear Taehyung chuckling at the back, he must have enjoyed sending chaos inside Jimin’s mind.

“I was kidding and I will let you go, Jiminie” Taehyung teased and before exiting his best friend’s room, he patted him on the head and said, “Just keep your door open for the good parts in life even though it may make you feel bad for a short time. As long as you’re smiling and laughing, that matters the most” and with that, Taehyung exited his space.

Jimin felt he could freely breathe again, with no constriction against his throat, unaware the thought of it made him tense. He knows it’s not a big deal for some people but for Jimin, it is and he loathes it even more when the thought of it never left his mind even when the moon was high up in the sky and the shorthand of the clock struck 12.

The sun was about to set when Jimin got out of his room in a full semi-formal clothes Jimin’s parents bought for him. This day was to spend their time in the school of music where his parent’s teach. Just a party with the faculty and their respective family members with them, too. Jimin never really cared so much over parties especially when it involves parents and older people ranging from 40 and above. Jimin had no choice after all, when his mom announced the party a week prior, Jimin sunk in his seat and knew what to expect.

So here he was, walking aimlessly at the ballroom where the party was held, parents talking to each other and their children either on the snack section or were making their own huddle and talking over something else. Jimin was never the person to approach people first, so here he was all alone in the ballroom and just observing people.

“Jimin!” His mom called for him, waving her hand in a signal to approach her and the crowd around his mom and dad. Jimin in a breath and expected to be flooded with stupid questions like how they would ask every month. Jimin slowly approached them and once they were at least a meter away, he stopped dead on his tracks and eyes his mom in question.

“They just want to see how you were doing and even complimented on how you looked so handsome” his mom excitedly said as him dad was nodded beside her, he wasn’t much of a talker, too. Jimin awkwardly chuckled, wanting nothing else but to sprint away from the awkward air and the bombarding questions that are about to come his way.

“So Jimin, do you have a girlfriend?” one teacher asked him which made him immediately choke on his spit, out of all the questions in the world he wasn’t expecting this at all. Jimin shook his head, unable to speak as he was busy clearing his throat.

“Oh good! I would love you to at least take my daughter on a date. She’s not here right now but maybe soon?” Jimin grew tense because he was never into girls in the first place, he glanced at his mom and dad for help which they only gave him a nod, yeah, they were no help at all.

One date won’t hurt, right? Jimin thought to himself and maybe it will be the first and last date. Jimin had no choice but to nod in agreement, how could he not when all expecting eyes were on him earning him to pressure himself into agreeing even when he does not want to and even when the only person he’d ever want to go on a date was his lollipop dealer who he isn’t even sure shares the same feelings as him.

He felt sappy and that usually cringes him but feeling something towards the younger was surprising yet it was expected of him. Even at first glance, he was drawn towards the younger’s presence, even the moment he laid his eyes on him during their visit to the hospital.

The more he gravitates towards Jeongguk’s orbit, the more his feelings for him intensify, he did not know what to do once his feelings for him is uncontrollable, he would not want to drive the younger away from him, he treasures their friendship more than the blooming feelings he has for the younger.

“Jimin” he snapped out of his gaze when Jimin’s dad called for his attention, bringing him back to the situation in front of him. The lady’s grin widened and Jimin was confused about the smile, “What? I did not catch that.  I’m sorry” Jimin softly smiled.

“No worries. I said my daughter’s name is Yuri. I’ll contact you soon once I get everything settled” the lady earlier said, the beads of cold sweat trickled down Jimin’s forehead. It suddenly seemed like there was an arrange marriage going on currently making Jimin question yet in panic glances at his parents who nodded, “It’s a single date, Jiminie. It’s okay” his mother reassured him which calmed him down slightly. Jimin took a deep breath and glanced at the venue, people were still talking animatedly and it seemed like he was the only one not having an ounce of fun in this space. Laying in bed or reading his notes is a hundred times more fun than this.

“I can’t believe I actually agreed to it” Jimin huffed on his bed. After the party, he went straight to his room and changed into his comfortable pjs before crashing to bed and calling Taehyung to rant over the episodes that happened the entire night.

“Your parents know you’re gay, right?” Taehyung carefully asked on the other line which frustrates Jimin even more because Jimin’s parent’s knew he was interested in boys but his parents may have misunderstood him and thought he likes both male and female, “I think they misunderstood me, you should have seen their smile. It sent me chills” Jimin said, cringing at the thought of actually being with a female.

“It’s one date and thinks about it as a friendly date, don’t forget about telling the girl you’re gay so it would draw the line” Taehyung advised, Jimin nodded and thought about it for a second. How was he suddenly placed in this situation he did not sign up for? Thinking about it gave him anxiety, they did not even specify the exact date so he’d mentally prepare himself which gave him another reason to panic and be anxious.

“Why does it have to be me?” Jimin complained, tossing and turning on his bed whilst still having the phone hovering over his ear. He could hear Taehyung chuckle on the other side of the line, “Yet you won’t complain if it’s Jeongguk, right?”

Jimin froze on this bed, eyes mindlessly staring at the white ceiling above him as he blinked twice, thrice. His breath hitched at the thought of being with Jeongguk, spending a day with Jeongguk away from the library and the rooftop but on the riverside with grass sprawling endlessly on the ground with nothing but the sound of the winds howling and their shirts rustling.

“Hello?”

Jimin would have been beat red if he were to see his reflection on the mirror yet the thought of it thrilled him, making his toes curl in giddiness, his stomach continuously making flips and turns.

“Bet you’re thinking about it, huh?” Taehyung teased on the other line, Jimin opens and closed his mouth; unable to know what exactly to reply. It was hard to lie about it because it’s what he’s been thinking about since the moment Taehyung brought it up, “You basically go on a date with Jeongguk everyday. Are you not aware of that?” Taehyung added.

“It’s not a date, far from that” Jimin softly spoke, pouting upon thinking about being with Jeongguk everyday at the library, secluded from other people. It wasn’t basically a date to think about it, they were both friends who are just fond of each other’s presence and it may never be more than that.

“But the context is there, both of you all alone at the backmost section of the library. If you kiss, no one would even know” Taehyung’s words brought Jimin immediately sitting on his bed, face heating up and heart beating loudly on his chest, “You’re not allowed to say that, Tae” Jimin said, breath shaking and tried to shake the imagination of the younger’s thin, plump lips, “He’s a minor, you can’t say that”

“But you’re thinking about it” Taehyung flatly said yet Jimin could not even deny it, the more he’s on the line with Taehyung the more his thoughts travel in every section of the younger, from his doe-like eyes which is a never-ending space filled with stars to his thin lips and the mole under it which was endearing to watch. Jimin couldn’t deny on how his eyes fall on Jeongguk’s lips when the younger wasn’t watching, trying to get a quick glimpse at it from time to time and sometimes when the younger is immersed in something, he’d observe him from his eyebrows to the tip of his ears to his pouty lips when he is too focused on one thing.

“I-I need to go” Jimin said and ended the call with Taehyung, he placed his phone on the mattress before standing up to meet himself on the mirror situated over his drawer, he was beat red, sweat glistening on his forehead to his temple to his eyebrows; he was a mess when it came to Jeongguk and he is no longer going to deny that but he had restrictions, he’ll never let Jeongguk know about it and that was final.

Yoongi had dragged Jeongguk to their room after seeing the younger one laying lazily on the couch of the living room, he looked fine yet Yoongi still was careful over the younger’s illness. Jeongguk groaned at Yoongi for making him leave the comfort of the sofa, the older held on to Jeongguk’s wrist and carefully pulled him in their room, “Sit” he said once they were inside.

Jeongguk obediently sat on the wooden chair and observed Yoongi and what he was about to do. Yoongi suddenly stuck a thermometer inside the younger’s ear for a couple of seconds and pulled it out to see Jeongguk’s current body temperature, “Hmm.. no fever. That’s good” Yoongi said and got rid of the thermometer and placed it inside the drawer from where he took it from.

Jeongguk groaned once again “You are being overdramatic, Yoongi” he said as he attempted to stand up but was pushed by Yoongi back on the wooden chair, “I am not yet done” Yoongi said on a serious tone making Jeongguk seal his mouth shut and just deal with Yoongi’s series of tests.

“We have to boost your immune system up, take this” Yoongi said as he handed Jeongguk a pack of gummies in which Jeongguk looked at Yoongi, puzzled, “Gummies?”

“That’s Vitamin C. Chew on that at school or anywhere” Yoongi explained and without a word, Jeongguk took it and starting to take on one gummy and shove it inside his mouth. It did not taste anything like vitamins at all but any other sugar-coated gummy.

“Also” Yoongi added, he was not done yet but Jeongguk offered him an open ear since Yoongi was also doing this for him and Jeongguk was beyond so thankful for that.  The younger one eyed him expectedly, “Tell me if you’re upset at me, okay? Don’t think about my feelings because I would be more upset if you don’t tell me about it, okay?” Jeongguk nodded suddenly remembering what Dr. Sekiguchi advised him, to not feel something extremely.

“Thank you for not giving up on me, Yoongi” Jeongguk said which surprised him even more, he could see Yoongi’s eyes softening at Jeongguk’s words, “Anything for you, little one” he said at the same time ruffling the younger’s hair.

“I know it’s a rough patch for you but two weeks more and we’ll be back home, okay?” Yoongi reassured Jeongguk who’s smile brightened at the mention of going back home to Okinawa. Yoongi knew Jeongguk was excited about going home and he was not wrong about it seeing how Jeongguk’s eyes brightened and a smile grew from ear to ear.

“I am quite excited” Jeongguk squealed. Yoongi chuckled at the sight of it, “It had been a rough three months, right?” the latter asked and Jeongguk nodded, “It was indeed rough but I met new friends so it was bearable”

Yoongi nodded and knew who Jeongguk was referring to, it was obvious how close the two have become in a span of three months; how quick it was yet both seem to have shared the same fondness of each other and Yoongi is grateful of it but still couldn’t help but worry about where their friendship is headed, even a stranger could pinpoint there’s something more than friendship between Jimin and Jeongguk. Jeongguk may not have realized it fully yet but Yoongi is sure the younger one feels something for Jimin. Yoongi’s afraid of the aftermath and everyday he is tensed and at the edge of his seat, will it make or break Jeongguk?

“Just know I am always here for you, Jeongguk” Yoongi said.

The late June air was starting to get hot as Jimin’s uniform stuck to his back, sweats seeping out of his sweat glands as he was busily stacking papers to return it to each club president. The club proposals were not due until next week but Jimin had to double time his responsibilities since there was no way he could balance cramming for the exams and approving club activities.

Extracurricular activities were halted for the week and the next week since exams were approaching which means the school will be clear of students after the dismissal time, it made Jimin’s job easier which would be just sending students off and making sure no one is left in campus after school.

The next day was the same as the days prior, however, Jimin felt a twist in the hot air as he entered the library with no traces of Jeongguk, saying he was upset was an understatement. He walked towards every shelf and expected Jeongguk was at the last bookshelf but to no avail, he was also not there.

He returned to his seat with a sullen look, no longer have the stomach to read over his notes. Being attached to someone and relying on them is wrong but it felt wrong not having Jeongguk near his orbit, it did not sit right for him especially when the only thing he’s looking forward everyday was seeing Jeongguk.

“Jimin, right?” The librarian passed by him while pushing the cart of books, it was odd since the librarian never passes by at this section of the library. Jimin nodded and looked at the librarian, drifting his mind away from Jeongguk to the librarian’s purpose.

“Jeongguk said to meet him by the pool” The librarian said, Jimin’s forehead creased in confusion, why was Jeongguk by the pool and why did the librarian know where he was? It was not jealousy he is currently feeling, he could not pinpoint it but it tasted bitter, “Why?” Jimin shortly replied, still trying to see if the librarian was telling the truth or not.

“That was the only thing he said before leaving” she replied. Jimin was perplexed and undecided on what he should do, his mind is telling him to focus and study for the exams yet his beating heart yelled to just go by the pool and see if Jeongguk really was there. But of all the places on the campus, why was it by the pool?

Jimin got up and packed his reviewers inside his bag, thanked the librarian who gave him a soft smile then walked straight outside the library. The trip from the library to the pool was not short, he had to pass by the gymnasium and the high school building before reaching the said pool. Just as he was by the back of the school where the pool was, he spotted Jeongguk at the edge of the pool, who looked like he was staring at his reflection on the water.

By the sound of Jimin stepping on a twig, Jeongguk immediately snapped his gaze to Jimin’s direction and stood up. Jimin’s heartbeat fastened by Jeongguk’s simple glance and the playful grin on the younger’s face, he suddenly felt something churn in his stomach like it does every time his eyes meets Jeongguk’s. He slowly approached Jeongguk who was still by the edge of the pool, beads of sweat evident from Jimin’s distance, he was unaware the sun’s rays shone directly at the pool creating a glistening, shining effect every time the liquid moves in a direction.

“Why are you suddenly by the pool?” Jimin curiously asked but Jeongguk only gave him a slight smirk and a knowing look but Jimin totally did not get it, “You know I was not able to review because of you” Jimin huffed, crossing his arms in front of Jeongguk who had his head tossed back as he was laughing fondly at Jimin. Jimin did not like it one bit, I mean he felt a faint blush on his cheek but he still did not like how Jeongguk kept him in the dark and still confused about why they were there under the heat of the sun.

“Come” Jeongguk said, grabbing Jimin’s wrist as they got out from the pool after locking its gate. Jimin felt lightheaded at the direct contact like it was the most skinship he and Jeongguk made the past three months. Jimin would have been burning now seeing how Jeongguk still has not let go of Jimin’s wrist. The younger had his back infront of Jimin, the uniform also sticking on his skin seeing how the weather has gotten hotter, white uniform plastered on his clear skin.

“You should really wear something inside your uniform” Jimin said, unaware that the words slipped from his lips. Jimin’s eyes bulged in shock yet Jeongguk still kept on walking, Jimin thought Jeongguk hadn’t heard it but was tenfold embarrassed when the younger replied, “ert. Stop looking at my back” Jeongguk teased yet Jimin still felt like burying his self 6 feet down the ground.

“You’re the one who has his back in front of me, stupid” Jimin nibbled on his bottom lips, suddenly feeling shy from what he had recently said. Jeongguk glanced back at him and Jimin wished he didn’t because his boyish look, ever so handsome is stuck in Jimin’s head and he can’t shake the image out of his head, “We’re here” Jeongguk announced and came to a stop in front of the school wall which was a little taller than the younger but one could still take a peek at the other side if they tiptoed.

“What are we doing here?” Jimin asked at the same time feeling letdown once Jeongguk took his hold off of Jimin’s wrist which was burning like what every people feel every time someone they like touches them, a burning sensation is felt.

“We’re climbing that wall to get to the other side” Jeongguk simply said confusing Jimin even more. Why would they go to the other side of the wall? What was he thinking? Lunch break was almost finished, they have no time to play around at the other side of the wall which isn’t even the school’s property which means they might get punished by doing so.

“I can hear the screws in your brain working, don’t think too much about this” Jeongguk said, playful grin evident on his boyish features. Jimin could see how excited Jeongguk looked right now and it looks great on the latter, much better than the hollow cheeks and the dark under eyes.

“But why should we climb to the other side? Lunch break is almost over” Jimin tilted his head in confusion, he was not able to understand Jeongguk’s plans and where they should go from here.

“We’re skipping class”

Those words made Jimin freeze under the younger’s gaze. Skip class? He has never done that before and he would never do that such kind of thing since it is his grades along the line if he does. Jimin stared at the younger like he was some kind of psychotic man, eyes furrowed at how absurd the thought of skipping class was, “I don’t think so” Jimin simply said, Jimin, the student body president.

Jimin never fails to be surprised by Jeongguk’s move as the younger one chuckled, the next thing Jimin knew was the younger had both their hands on the top of the wall and pushed himself up until he could grab it by his arm and situating himself to sit over the wall, “I think so” Jeongguk replied, playfully teasing Jimin but the latter did not have it, no way is he going to skip classes because one rebellious kid said so.

“I think not. I am the student body president and it’s a bold move for you to even suggest I should skip my classes” Jimin flatly said as he was seeing Jeongguk’s eyes shift into something serious, no more the light of delight in his eyes. Jeongguk nodded, “I almost forgot you were the student body president” he said. Jimin’s chest churned, he positively killed the light in Jeongguk excited eyes and replaced it with something dull.

“I’m sorry, Mr. President” Jeongguk simply said. Just before he could reply, the bell rang signaling lunch break was over. Jimin looked expectedly at Jeongguk, waiting for him to climb down the wall and retreat towards the main building with him but it seemed like Jeongguk had other plans, “You should go now, Mr. President” Jeongguk said, giving him a smile, yet it never reached widely to call it a smile.

No nickname such as Jiminie, he was upset thinking they were back again to phase one like how they first met like Jeongguk called him the first time they met, “Mr. President”

“You should go now” Jeongguk let off a smile before turning his back on Jimin and jumped to the other side of the wall. Jimin was unmoving on his place, shocked that Jeongguk really climbed off the wall to the other side and shocked because the thought of skipping his classes seemed so possible even though it should not be, “Jeongguk!” Jimin yelled at the air, unable to see Jeongguk at the other side of the wall.

“You’re going to be late, you should go” Jeongguk said and the rustling of the grass made Jimin panic, Jeongguk was walking farther and farther away from him, “Wait!” Jimin yelled and heard the halting of the sound of grass, Jeongguk stopped on his tracks; Jimin guessed.

Jimin’s going to regret this forever but he was drawn to do it, he felt like doing it and he knows this is going to tamper his records. His conversation with Taehyung suddenly came to mind and he wanted to change the kind of person he is, he wanted to be free from the restrains of worry for his future and just do everything in impulse like what he is about to do. He might regret this forever but sometimes doing something rebellious makes one feel so much alive which is why he decided to drop his bag and climb over the other side of the wall, there he saw Jeongguk looking up at him in a wide grin like how Jimin wants to see him in, not the brooding expression.

Jimin jumped on the other side and was met by the rustling of the grass, “Are you going to regret this?” Jeongguk carefully asked as Jimin walked towards him.

“I might regret this but I would probably regret not doing this” Jimin said, he felt most alive today, facing Jeongguk as both had their widest grin plastered on their face and the feeling of the wind on their faces. Jimin already felt like he won’t be regretting this after all.

And this is how Jimin was sure enough that his feelings for Jeongguk will never fade away.

“This better be worth it” Jimin grumbled which only brought a smile to Jeongguk’s lips, “I bet you it will” he replied and lead the way out of the tall grass which could almost reach Jimin’s knee.

Jimin tagged along silently behind Jeongguk, a fairly decent gap between them as Jeongguk seems to be focused on where his feet would take him. Jimin, confused and lost asked Jeongguk where they were actually going. Jeongguk slowed down his pace and glanced back at Jimin who has broken into a sweat as they were walking under the ray of the sun.

“We’re almost there” Jeongguk smiled, walking back to try to match Jimin’s pace and slowly grabbed the older’s wrist, “You won’t regret skipping, I promise”. How could Jimin get mad at Jeongguk when his innocent, boyish face made Jimin’s stomach do flips and his heart churn in delight and warmth?

A giggle escaped Jeongguk’s lips earning Jimin to look at him in curiosity, “You seem to be so excited?”Jimin asked. Jeongguk looked like he was unable to hide his wide grin and it warmed Jimin’s chest once again and the next reply Jeongguk said made Jimin stop dead on his tracks, he was delighted hearing it yet he wasn’t expecting it to come out of Jeongguk’s lips that easily.

“W-what?” Jimin asked, wanting to hear the words clear, Jeongguk must have said it wrong or he must have heard it wrong.

“I said, hanging out with you excites me” Jeongguk repeated. Jimin’s breath was ragged and he was having a difficult time to fathom one single word, still stunned at the younger’s words.

Jimin cleared his throat and eyes Jeongguk who was standing still before him, hands never leaving Jimin’s wrist. Jimin studied the younger’s expression, trying to see if he was playing with him. None. Nothing but pure innocence.

The ruffling of the grass beneath their feet and their tousled hair from the wind made Jimin feel something. He wanted to pause this moment and savor it as the scenery felt like a scene from a famous love story or an anime. Greenery surrounding them as the time stopped, with just the two of them in the middle of the field as eyes meet together.

Jeongguk was the one to break the eye contact, Jimin felt somewhat sad about it but just shrugged it off, he was just overreacting.

The place Jeongguk brought him was beyond his expectations, it looked straight from an anime. The narrow river lined with countless trees on each side, the faltering sakuras were scattered on the trunk of the tree, it looked breathtaking in Jimin’s sight. Upon looking closer to the clear river water, dozens of koi were swarming. The kois were much bigger in person, if Jimin could compare anything to it, it would be the size of his arm; it’s how big it was which brought Jimin’s jaw-dropping in surprise and delight.

“I have been living in Osaka for 18 years and I have not even discovered this place” Jimin said, stunned. He sees the glint of excitement in Jeongguk’s eyes as the latter kept his gaze on the falling petals and in the kois swarming on the river bed. Jimin thought Jeongguk have not heard him yet was surprised when he replied, “The camera club often comes here for photo walks and I have come to love this place the more frequent I come here, especially during springtime. Too bad it’s withering”

Jimin nodded, being in the camera club has its advantages and one beautiful thing about being in the said club is discovering beautiful, hidden places and seeing the beauty in everything.

“Let’s go to the other side of the river” Jeongguk suggested. Jimin worriedly glanced at the shallow waters of the river and the rocks lining from the opposite side to the other end, seemingly like a platform to cross. He was anxious and scared the water might reach his ankle, causing his dress shoes and socks to get soaked completely. Jeongguk who might have noticed Jimin’s distress. Jeongguk clicked his tongue and chuckled, “It won’t be that bad. I promise you won’t get wet” he said. Jimin narrowed his eyes at Jeongguk, unsure if the latter was being serious or not. Jeongguk rolled his eyes and extended his hands to the older one, Jimin stared wide-eyed at the extended hand like it was something foreign to him. He looked back at Jeongguk then to his hand then to Jeongguk again.

“Do you trust me?” Jeongguk asked. The simple question took Jimin’s heart beating erratically like he was close to getting a heart attack. He breathed in and out, suddenly the surroundings began to blur out in his line of sight and the only one focused in his gaze is nothing but Jeongguk and the reassuring gaze he gave Jimin as he still had his hand extended. The early summer air caused Jeongguk’s hair to dance mid-air before falling back to the crown of his head.

He was snapped back to reality seconds later and was still locked up in this situation, Jeongguk was patiently waiting as his hand was still extended towards Jimin.

Jimin nodded and replied with a soft “Yes”. Jeongguk’s grin grew wide and took Jimin’s hand and firmly gripped on to it.

Jeongguk stepped on the slippery rock, covered in moss first as his hand still held tightly around Jimin’s wrist. If Jimin could see his own reflection, he bet he was covered in tints of red at how embarrassed and shy he is currently feeling.

Jimin’s head was to preoccupied and wrist burning from Jeongguk’s touch, he was not aware he was seconds close to slipping on the rock. The action before him unfolds like a slow-motion picture, Jeongguk spinning to grab on his waist to prevent him from falling on the body of water. The scene paused to that. Jeongguk’s feet both submerged in the water as Jimin was completely dry with Jeongguk’s arms around his hips. Jimin was not aware they were so close, one wrong move would result to their nose touching.

Eyes drifting down on Jeongguk’s slim lips, Jimin's hands started to feel clammy by the thought of their lips just a couple of inches away. Unknowingly, Jimin subtly on his lips as his eyes cascaded down Jeongguk’s beauty mark to his chin until it landed on the bobbing of his adam’s apple. Slowly, Jimin gravitated his eyes back to Jeongguk’s orbs, Jimin’s breath hitches, seeing how Jeongguk’s orbs remained on his own, observing every movement; his eyes also flickering from Jimin’s moistened lips and back to his eyes. Jimin felt time slowing down but had suddenly broken their eye contact off, the younger’s gaze has him intimidated and his cheeks burning red.

Jeongguk let out an awkward cough and proceeded to carefully guide Jimin to the other side of the river. This had been the longest 3 minutes in Jimin’s life and he still has his breath rigid from the events.

Upon arriving at the other side, Jimin could instantly feel how different it is on this side of the river. Jimin tailed behind Jeongguk, walking further up the hill. Jimin knew the other side was the same from where they came from but the further Jeongguk walked, he could hear people and children which got him curious.

He hurriedly walked, to match Jeongguk’s pace. The light in Jeongguk’s eyes was sparkling, the excitement could not even hide away from his eyes. It was too clear that whatever is further up there made Jeongguk very excited.

To Jimin’s shock, the place they have come upon on was a place he was not familiar with despite being in Osaka. The place was a lot different from Osaka but was still in Osaka and Jimin’s head ached upon thinking about.

“What is this place?” Jimin asked, eyeing the place with every detail his eyes could grasp. The flaglets designed on the entrance of each door, the unavoidable presence of primary colors in every store, “It’s a mini Okinawa town” Jeongguk grinned, smile seeming to reach from ear to ear.

“Mini Okinawa?” Jimin repeated and Jeongguk nodded.

“See those Kakigori displayed on every store?” Jeongguk pointed out, Jimin nodded. “Those are very well-known in Okinawa and other famous food found only in Okinawa is also available here. Feels like I am back home” Jeongguk said, a tinge of longing in his voice but he was nonetheless happy.

“Does Yoongi know about this place?” Jimin unknowingly asked which earned a curious look from Jeongguk but he still nodded, “He was the first one I brought here. You could have seen his expression when he finally got to taste the sweet potato ice cream flavor again, it was his favorite back in Okinawa” Jeongguk snickered, probably replaying the look of Yoongi’s face in his head.

“Now, you get to taste a little bit of Okinawa in Osaka” Jeongguk said as he pulled Jimin to one of the stalls beside the road, “You got to taste the sweet potato ice cream” Jeongguk said and proceeded to order one for Jimin and a strawberry flavored Kakigori for him.

Jeongguk handed Jimin the ice cream he ordered for him and after a long on the ice cream, Jimin’s eyes grew in surprise, “Wow! This is delicious” he exhaled. Jeongguk looked contented as he took a spoonful of his shaved ice cream.

“Do you think you’ll get scolded for skipping class?” Jeongguk asked as both were walking along the road, overlooking the river where they crossed a while ago. The school seemed so far away from where they were.

Jimin thought of an answer then shook his head, “I think they’ll let me off this time since this is my first time. What about you?” Jimin asked in return.

Jeongguk snickered “I have been out of school several times and they would easily shrug it off but a scolding from Yoongi, I am positive that will happen” he said. Jimin understood, Yoongi had always been there to protect and discipline Jeongguk.  A rather unique relationship they both have, indeed.

Jimin then dragged Jeongguk on the bench beside the little kiosk, on their almost-finished ice cream. Jimin kept his gaze on the clear blue sky right above them, the light shining harshly as the summer’s fast approaching, “It’s great to wind down for even just a day” he hummed to himself, feeling the calmness settle in this chest and the soft wind blowing, tousling his hair in every direction.

Just as Jimin kept his eyes closed, feeling the warm breeze on his face, the shutter of the camera snapped him from his trance then looked at Jeongguk, his lense aiming straight at Jimin’s direction. Jimin’s breath hitched and his heart fastened in pace, “Caught you” he teased.

It seemed like Jeongguk was caught red-handed, eyes bulging in shock as he lowered his camera, trying to hide it behind his back but Jimin was too fast and tried to grab on the little, disposable gadget Jeongguk holds on to dearly. Jimin pouted upon the failure of grabbing the said gadget, “That’s my face you captured, I have the right to take your camera” he said as Jeongguk cracked a little smile, looking fondly at Jimin’s cute antics.

“Are you sure that it’s you, though?” Jeongguk teased, yes it was Jimin but he couldn’t pass the chance to see Jimin flustered and embarrassed, as his face turning to a darker shade of red.

Jimin ducked his head in embarrassment, fiddling with his fingers on his lap. It’s these mere occasions Jeongguk could see the youthfulness in Jimin, no paper works and no responsibilities of being a Student body president, just pure bashfulness and freedom.

Jeongguk chuckled and surrendered seeing how Jimin suffered enough, “Jimin hyung” he called for him. Jimin lifted his head on the younger one, lips still pouting in embarrassment. Jeongguk lifted the disposable camera, checking the remaining films left for him to make use of for this day alone. “It was actually you” he admitted. Jimin gasped and slapped Jeongguk in the arm, of course, he deserves that but he enjoyed it nonetheless, Jimin was just too cute and adorable.

“You’re really a spawn of Satan” Jimin spoke, Jeongguk laughed as the crescent of his eyes evident at how he’s utterly fond he is of Jimin. When Jeongguk was busy laughing, Jimin snatched the camera from his grip, finally holding the device he tried to snatch awhile ago.

Jeongguk was startled as he immediately covered his face with his hand once Jimin aimed the lens at Jeongguk’s direction, “Nope!” Jeongguk said, keeping his hand still and leaning back away from Jimin, still seating on the bench. Jimin grunted and leaned in, trying to swat Jeongguk’s hand away from his face so he could take a single photo of Jeongguk’s beautiful features but time and time, Jeongguk would lean away and avoid the camera.

“You kept taking  photo of me, now it’s time for me to take one photo of you” Jimin whined, sitting back on the bench, too tired to take a proper photo of Jeongguk as the film is slowly running low. “Ever heard of someone who’s camera shy? That’s me” Jeongguk replied, Jimin rolled his eyes upon hearing it.

“Just one photo is all I ask, so you can show these to your kids in the future, even your grandchildren on how good looking you were at this age. For the memories” Jimin explained, Jeongguk’s throat dried up and his heart churned, he exactly knew the reason why.

Jeongguk brushed it past him and forces to forget about the future he has no part of. Instead, he kept his focus on the person in front of him, Jimin, the only person he has much as interacted in Osaka, the only person who could understand and bear with him, “It’s fine. I am a bit uncomfortable under the lense alone” he replied.

Jimin nodded understandingly then slowly beaming. Jeongguk lifted one eyebrow at him, confused at Jimin’s shift of expression. Jimin slowly tilted his head, staring at Jeongguk which seems like he had something to say, “So, if you are with another person, are you then okay about it?” he asked. Jeongguk gave it a couple of seconds of thought and nodded, yes, that’s bearable.

Jimin beamed then stood flat on his feet and skipped his way towards the near kiosk, talking to one of the workers and beamed when the said worked nodded its head and proceeded to follow Jimin back to where he and Jeongguk were sitting.

“What are you doing?” Jeongguk curiously asked as Jimin gave the disposable camera to the random person. It made Jeongguk a little bit of a panic mode but then quickly understood what Jimin was doing, heat rose up to his cheeks thinking of what the outcome would be.

“Mister, take the photo until the film runs out” Jimin beamed as he sat close to Jeongguk, thigh pressed on the other.

“You have got to be kidding me” Jeongguk chuckled, palms planted on his face as he tried to lower his head away from the lense. Not that he was somehow camera-shy still, he was just impressed and in awe at Jimin’s idea. Taking a photo with Jimin? What are the chances? He has not even thought about it.

“Stop being a chicken and face the camera with your brightest smile” Jimin said, taking Jeongguk’s hand away from his face and held on it until he’s sure Jeongguk won’t do something again.

Both boys sat upright beside each other, beaming to the camera as the sun shone above them, giving the photo an ethereal feel,  a dreamy filter; Jeongguk predicts. Just as the next shutter of the camera clicks, Jimin placed his arms around Jeongguk’s shoulder as he leaned his head on to the younger’s head, it was endearing and warm. Jeongguk felt warmness and familiarity in Jimin’s grasp. So Jeongguk did so and closed his eyes in calmness and comfort as he leaned his head on to Jimin’s. He felt like he finally found someone who he could latch on, who he could rely and even though it does seem dangerous and scary.

There’s something about today where he just does not even care and think about the nearing dark tunnel of his fate. He’s just going to ride on the boat of fate and let the Gods decide the finality of his life because what matters right now is Jimin and being around Jimin’s orbit, being in his warm presence and the reason for his smiles. It’s just him and Jimin versus his dark fate. Let him be the one aware of this, he does not even mind if Jimin does not know he has this effect over him, it’s okay as long as they keep this routine as long as he lives. Because finally something feels right and he is not even guilty over it.

Jimin went home with a huge smile plastered on his face, though scolded by the faculty for skipping class and for being irresponsible for once, however, he was not even a tad guilty over it even if he has to bring his paper works at home to work over them the entire night, still, he was grinning from ear to ear.

“You seem to be very happy for a person who got scolded by the faculty” Taehyung tilted his head in curiosity, Jimin hasn’t told him all the details about the events awhile ago. Jimin hummed and glanced over at Taehyung after placing his heavy bag on top of his study table, the bag filled with club proposals and event plans for the 2nd term; he was not aware of how the 2nd term is already fast approaching.

“It’s just a nice day today” Jimin smiled, settling down on the comfort of his bed, dismissing the thought of stripping his uniform and changing into something much more comfortable. He heaved a sigh and wandered his mind on the earlier events spent with Jeongguk, his grin growing wider as he thought more about it earning a strange look from Taehyung, “I swear to god you are acting weird” he said, clicking his tongue.

Jimin suddenly felt groggy, the idea of facing paper works the entire night made him drowsy by the single thought of it. He stretched to ease the drowsiness in his system and stood up, finally having the strength to change in much comfortable clothing. ping his bag, he pulled out all the papers and folders containing inside and slipped it on his table, observing it’s height; his shoulders dropped and a little whine emitted from his lips, “This is too much work” he complained earning a chuckle from Taehyung, “It’s what you signed up for” the best friend added.

The moment Jimin clutched his bag to hang it on his cabinet door, a single photograph slipped from inside and landed gracefully on the wooden floor on Jimin’s bedroom. It caught Taehyung’s attention making him crouch on the floor and carefully picked it up, observing and studying the image in between his fingertips. He hummed, glancing at Jimin who was preoccupied with hanging his bag and clearing his table with unnecessary trash.

“Who took this?” Taehyung asked, the image still in between his fingers as he flipped the photo into Jimin’s direction. Jimin snapped his head from what he was doing towards Taehyung’s direction, upon landing his gaze on the said subject, his eyes widened in surprised; the hint of red too evident in his cheeks as he stood frozen in his place.

There’s something about the photograph that shakes up Jimin to the core, maybe it’s the lighting of the photograph, maybe at his solemn expression being captured or is it because Jeongguk took the time to snap a photo of him behind all the racks in the library, in the dusty part of the library where it’s the most secluded part of the library, away from the prying eyes of the students. Nonetheless, the photograph between Taehyung’s fingers holds dearly to Jimin, an important piece of his growing friendship with Jeongguk.

“Jeongguk did, he’s part of the Camera club, remember?” Jimin nonchalantly said as he tried to keep his composure.

There was a knowing expression in Taehyung’s gaze, flickering his eyes back to the photograph then to Jimin, showing him a soft smile “Looks rather intimate” he said. Shivers ran up to Jimin’s spine. Intimate. He repeated the words in his mind. Is it what Taehyung really see? Though it never crossed his mind the sudden mention of it made his chest warm in delight, chest beating faster than the normal pace.

“You’re thinking too much” Jimin chuckled, shrugging the tugging of his chest, walking back and forth in his room to distract his thoughts and maybe for Taehyung to drop the topic, “Ahh..” Jimin stretched, “I’m hungry. Wanna grab something to eat?” he said, glancing at Taehyung. If Taehyung knew what Jimin is trying to do, he kept it to himself, not further dwelling on the previous topic Jimin likely wants to avoid. So, Taehyung nodded, grinning as he stood up getting ready to go out and grab something to eat with Jimin.

Jimin told himself to be very careful, be very careful of falling for the wrong people, random people and new people as he was still too traumatized from his previous relationship, one of the decisions he regretted so much. The toxicity and the pain he had gone through and he told himself to stop chasing for the wrong people and being with people who do not value his worth so why is he suddenly so attached to the new student on the campus? Why does he feel something blooming at the sight of the new student who he just barely knew? What happened to being careful around new faces? How is he the one breaking his own rules or is he making an exception? Jeongguk is harmless, the one who needs to be careful should be Jeongguk and not Jimin, yet why is he risking this? Risking being in Jeongguk’s orbit knowing he might get hurt in the process. Not physically but emotionally knowing after this school year, he’d be away from the school shared between both. It would only take a little nudge to see Jimin hurt, even when it is unintentional. Jimin is sensitive, he cares too much and loves easily and deeply.

Jimin glanced at the night sky above him as he was walking side by side with Taehyung, on their way to their favorite Ramen stand that serves the most savory broth and most flavorful gyoza. Jimin stared up above and sighed a deep breath, why is he suddenly thinking of these thoughts? There is clearly nothing going between Jeongguk and him. He closed his eyes and heaved a deep sigh once again then walked closer to Taehyung, clutching on his best friend’s shirt as they grew closer to their favorite stall. He does not want to overthink everything when it’s all going so smoothly.

 


A/N: Hi guys! I apologize for keeping you guys waiting for the udpate. I have been really busy with work and attending concerts. Thank god I managed to arrange my time and be able to have just a little time to update and write. Please keep with the feedback and yu can reach me on twt with the @ moonrices.