Captivated

Hello Jessica
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taeyeon tried digesting everything that Seulgi and Wendy is telling her. Knowing how much of a whim she decided on this, albeit being truly interested, it dawned to her that she needs someone who is already an expert to advise her.

 

“Unnie this is how you load the film.”

 

“Wait, unnie it’s not your first time using this right?” Seulgi asked her sunbae and Taeyeon just sighed indicating that she is a total newbie to this.

 

“It actually is. I bought this camera and film roll on a thrift store, just thought I could try to learn it.”

 

“Told you Seul, Taeyeon unnie is the type to be spontaneous.” Wendy said while Seulgi just nodded her head in affirmation. Today they were summoned by Taeyeon to guide and teach her about the basics of film photography 101. The sunbae, never thought of seeking for advice first on what camera is a good starter for beginners like her.

 

Luckily, she bought a Minolta—same with the one Seulgi is using despite it being a different type—and immediately remembered the softest duo to ask for help. Wendy owning a point and shoot camera herself gladly took Taeyeon on her wing to teach her about the right exposure and some terminologies Taeyeon found hard to understand.

 

“Basically unnie, you have to make sure the film is loaded correctly to avoid blank film rolls. That would be a waste.”

 

“Yeah, Wendy and I had wasted bunch of rolls because we didn’t know how to do it.”

 

“Okay, if my films are blank then no pictures right?” Taeyeon asked holding a notebook and a pen with her hand, seemingly listing all that is to be learned. “Yes right, you don’t want that.” Seulgi confirmed, holding the Minolta on her hand.

 

She opened the back of the camera, placed the film roll in it and pulled the peeking film strip until it reaches the end of the other side. Wendy on the other hand is explaining the things to remember while Seulgi’s at it.

 

“You have to make sure it’s tight and securely placed unnie.”

 

“Now we close it.” Seulgi closed the camera and the duo taught Taeyeon furthermore on how to advance the film, and how important it is not to forget to do so.

 

When they finished loading it, they asked if they can take a shot of Taeyeon with it. Taeyeon agreed while noting how Seulgi turned something she remembered them calling a ‘knob’.

 

“All done.” Seulgi said, checking the camera and turning the knob once more.

 

“What are you planning to shoot anyway unnie?”

 

Seulgi asked and Taeyeon’s face redenned in response. Being the most oblivious duo ever, Seul and Wen never suspected Taeyeon of being clueless.

 

“Just—anything.” Taeyeon vaguely stated while she secretly thanked the two for being clueless as always.

 

“Oh, your members?” Taeyeon choked on nothing but cleared right away. Jessica is still considered as her ‘member’ right?

 

“Probably. Yes—my girls.”

 

“That’s great. I sometimes took photos of Yerim.” Seulgi said while reaching out for her bag and fishing something out of it. “I didn’t know you’re the type to be spontaneous though unnie. Doing things on a whim?”

 

“Yeah I actually though you are more organized. Like someone who plans their first date.” Wendy pointed out and while Taeyeon is nothing really of the spontaneous sort as she rarely really goes out of her house to do spontaneous , she remembered how she didn’t plan on anything that she and Jessica can do while spending time together.

 

Knocking herself in her head, she remembered that she will have to spend time with Jessica tommorrow—courtesy of her invitation—while Kyungsan is with Tyler leaving Jessica without company. “I guess I just… want to try something new?” Taeyeon answered.

 

“Unnie by the way if you bought these film rolls on thrift store, do you know when their expiration is?” Wendy asked.

 

“What do you mean expiration?”

 

“Oh, films do have expiration unnie. Expired films have some light leaks on them when exposed.” Seulgi answered and much to Taeyeon’s disappointment, she never bothered looking for an expiration date. Panicking, she asked the duo. “Wait so you mean I’d probably up and never get to use the film if expired?” Taeyeon fidgeted.

 

The two just laughed at her. “You can still use this. In fact, expired films are the best to experiment at, this is the best way to be spontaneous.” Seulgi answered and Taeyeon sighed a relief. “Does it have a downside? What do you mean by experimenting on expired films?”

 

“The problem with expired films is, you really don’t know what tone or color your pictures will be once developed. The results of the photo are very unpredictable. It’s as surprising as it is, not a bad thing though—it can be very beautiful.” Wendy explained completely in awe with the whole film thing.

 

“Maybe I’d like that.”

 

“Yeah film is too beautiful it’s a pity we don’t know how long films will be produced because everyone is going digital.” Seulgi said and Wendy just answered “Agreed.”

 

“On top of that we only got 36 shots per film roll.” Taeyeon said. “Yeah so you better not waste it unnie.”

 

“Only photograph someone who is worth your film.” Wendy said leaving Taeyeon laughing at the duo’s absurdity.

 

“Worth my film huh? Aren’t you two being sentimental?”

 

“Dead serious unnie.” Wendy said with conviction. “Find someone worthy of that 36 limited shots.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t get it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica made her way to Taeyeon’s house that day—upset. The girl had asked to spend the day with her, but she got no calls of confirmation whether they are still going to since the morning.

 

Thinking Taeyeon might have forgotten it despite her surprisingly anticipating, with no Kyungsan to babysit. Don’t get her wrong, she loves spending time with Kyungsan but it is the first time the both of them would get to do things without a child obstructing their way.

 

She made her way in front of Taeyeon’s door and knocked even with her knowing the passcode already. This newfound closeness with the girl after long years of indifference and walking on egg shells still gets her in the state of doubt.

 

Getting no response and her patience getting thin, she entered the passcode and barged her way in the place. All that greeted her was darkness.

 

“Is anybody home?” Total darkness greeted Jessica and while she is used with Taeyeon lurking around in her dark home, she is not used at the complete silence.

 

She continued walking with the light of her phone and before she can turn on the light, the sight of Taeyeon surprised her making her scream in terror. “What the Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Hi Sica.” Taeyeon greeted her. Once she got over the shock, the light were by the owner herself. Jessica took a good look at Taeyeon and her surroundings. Gloves on her hand and the place reeks of chemicals.

 

“Why are you wearing gloves?” Jessica asked while Taeyeon is removing the gloves on her hands. “I’m trying to develop the films.”

 

“What films?” Taeyeon doesn’t need to answer when she saw her fishing out the bathed negatives from a bowl on her sink.

 

She tidied up herself while Jessica is waiting for whatever the film developing girl is have in store for her. “So, you’re actually doing that while here I thought we’re going out together—because you said so.” She crossed her arms and stared at Taeyeon not hiding the fact that she is pissed.

 

Taeyeon quickly gathered all her things and panicked at the sight. “Of course… of course I haven’t forgotten. It’s just that…” Lies. She completely forgot, being too immersed on getting the knack of film photography and developing it right.

 

“Liar.”

 

“Stop judging me, in fact I had a plan in mind for today!” Taeyeon countered. Jessica just challenged her to go on. “I—I just got caught up with these, because I had a slight mistake but it’s all done now.” Taeyeon pointed at the negatives on the table.

 

“Since when did you learn to lie Kim Taeyeon?”

 

“Since when were you fond of calling my full name Jung Sooyeon?” Taeyeon fired back, stucking he tongue out childishly at Jessica. “Since trainee days I suppose.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“Makes me feel like I have a power over you.” Jessica flicked her forehead.

 

“You always do Sica. You always do.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled and Jessica blushed at the comment. “Idiot! Whatever, I’m not just gonna sit here and watch you bathe your hands with chemicals.”

 

“Fine fine. Since you think these are nonsensical, I’m gonna show you how enjoyable it can be.” Taeyeon said pointing at her new-found obsession.

 

“It seems like you don’t have any plans for going out huh.”

 

“I d-do! In fact, I’m going to change my clothes now and accompany you.” Taeyeon proclaimed while avoiding Jessica’s doubting eyes. The girl just scoffed as her eyes trailed Taeyeon all over the place wherever she went.

 

Jessica intently watching her made her successfully hurry at the door of her room in seconds.

 

 

 

 

“Taeyeon where are we going.” Jessica asked as they walked through the streets near Taeyeon’s place. Seemingly with no direction.

 

Taeyeon looked like she knows where though, even whistling and humming softly which soothed Jessica’s tantrum capacity. “Taeyeon do you know where we’re going?”

 

The onyx eyed stared at her, speed gradually decreasing as she matched her pace with Jessica. Taeyeon smiled at her. “Guess where?”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes but nonetheless took the guess seriously. She looked at Taeyeon, wearing a matching denim jacket and jeans. Her newly bought film camera slinging on her neck and a shoulder bag—possibly containing necessary stuffs—is dangling by her side.

 

Jessica could only hope that they’re going in for a photoshoot—that much she likes.

 

“A photoshoot?”

 

“Guess where we’ll be doing it.”

 

“Seriously Taeyeon? But I’d actually prefer it if it’s by the lakeside.” Jessica absent-mindedly looked above the sky dreaming about going on such a relaxing place.

 

“Bingo. We’re going to the lakeside.”

 

 

 

After much strolling and renting a cab, they arrived on a secluded area around the city’s outskirts. Not knowing what the place may offer, Jessica looked at Taeyeon curiously.

 

“Taengoo I’m all in for going into the lakeside but I don’t want to be bored.”

 

“I know. And you called me Taengoo”

 

“So what? You’ve been calling me ‘Sica’ multiple times this day now.”

 

“I guess we’re getting close."

 

“Is there some kind of activity over here?” Jessica said remembering the times when Tyler and her will stroll in L.A. Sure the view is majestic but she have seen it quite a lot to get tired of it.

 

Despite being lazy, she refused to get bored and wants something fruitful to do today. Taeyeon spoke.

 

“We’ll be riding on a boat.”

 

“A yatch?”

 

“No CEO-nim, a boat.” Taeyeon said while fixing her camera. She pointed at what looked like a really small boat on the side of the lake. Both sides having red paddles and the thought dumbfounded her. “Seriously Taeyeon?! I’m not riding that!”

 

“Woah there CEO-nim I thought you want some activity… unless?” Taeyeon said while wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

 

“You’re gonna tire me out!”

 

“That sounds so wrong, Sica.” Jessica blushed while huffing air. “I’m not gonna ride that boat byuntaeyeon.”

 

“Whatever happened to Taengoo?” Their banters made Jessica forget about the fact that they are actually going on the boat’s direction, only realizing it when it’s already in front of her. “Are you sure this is safe?”

 

“Trust me, I’ve rode boats here before. It is very safe.” The old man sitting infront of the boat greeted them. “Going for a ride ladies?” Taeyeon nodded and smiled at him.

 

“Isn’t he gonna recognize us?” Jessica whispered to Taeyeon’s ear, much to her surprise. She almost chilled at it but decided to shrug it away.

 

“No, people here doesn’t quite care if you’re a celebrity. We’re in the city’s outskirt.”

 

“Okay. But I’m going to stop paddling once I’m tired and it’ll be your fault dragging me to this.” Jessica reprimanded despite already giving away from Taeyeon’s agendas.

 

“Sure and don’t worry, I’ll paddle and move this boat alone so CEO-nim can rest.” Taeyeon said and Jessica slapped her arm for the insult. Forgetting to suppress a chuckle along the way.

 

She got herself in the boat with an ease while she reached out for Jessica’s hand, guiding her so she will not slip. The ropes were loosen by the old man, making the stance of the boat a little bit unstable.

 

Taeyeon was quick to put her hands on Jessica’s waist anyways.

 

They got inside the boat. Taeyeon on the front while grabbing the paddles so she can move it backwards. The boat moved in a slow manner.

 

Sunlight peeks on the background where bushes and trees were in. Quite refreshing as what Jessica sees.

 

It was so peaceful to the point where they can hear the birds chirping on the background, with the hurling of the wind as it’s companion. Jessica realized that they are alone in this place.

 

“The fact that there is no one here but us should terrify me, but this is strangely comforting.”

 

“Means you trust me enough. I’m glad.” Taeyeon said huffing while continuing to paddle backwards. Their boat’s speed increasing at a paced rate. “I admit this is quite nice.”

 

“It would be nicer if you would help me paddle.”

 

“Yah! You’re the one who volunteered on doing it alone.” Jessica complained while reaching for the paddle on Taeyeon’s hands but the latter did not let her.

 

“I was just kidding. You can continue being useless there, I don’t mind.” Taeyeon said which made Jessica snicker at her.

 

“You are really annoying Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Now you’re back calling me by my full name?”

 

“Yes, because I’m kind enough not to call you an idiot.” Jessica fired back at her but all that happened after is that they were laughing. “Still got the smart mouth I liked huh.”

 

“I bet you do.” Suddenly, Taeyeon stopped paddling, Jessica noticed that they are at the middle of the lake. Taeyeon held her camera with both hands and looked like she is adjusting something.

 

She picked up a film roll on her bag and loaded it on the camera. “Sica, look on your right.”

 

There, Jessica saw how fascinating the view is. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard a click coming from Taeyeon. The girl took a picture of her.

 

“Beautiful. Smile at the camera now.”

 

“You’re seriously taking pictures of me with that?” Jessica piped finding it funny but at the same time really endearing so she can’t help but break into a smile. She heard another click which indicates that Taeyeon yet again took another candid picture of her. “Enough with stolen shots. Pose for me.”

 

“Okay f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter