Chapter 4

When I'm with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun peeking through the blinds woke Joy up. Her eyesight was fuzzy as she opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. When it sunk in that she wasn’t in her bedroom, she shot up and noticed she was laying in a queen sized bed that was not hers. She looked down at her body and saw that she was wearing a men’s solid black t-shirt and basketball shorts. Her first thought was that she had been taken to a man’s house last night and immediately had tears in her eyes. 

 

A desk with a photo on it caught her attention and she ran over to it. She examined the picture that was taken of seven young men and gasped when she saw a familiar face.

 

“Jungkook?” 

 

Her hands flew up to as the worst thoughts flooded her mind. She opened the door of the bedroom to look for Jungkook but came to a full stop when she saw him sleeping on his couch. Seeing him sleeping there gave Joy some relief.

 

“Maybe him sleeping in the living room means nothing happened last night.” she thought to herself.

 

She quietly walked over to him and kneeled on the floor which brought her face to face with the sleeping boy. This was the closest she had ever been to him and she couldn’t help but stare. He looked incredibly peaceful and she was surprised at how clear his skin was. The longer she stared at him, the more she realized how beautiful he was, but there was also something very masculine about his features as well.

 

“How can a boy be both handsome and beautiful?” she muttered to herself.

 

Her voice was a bit too loud so it caused Jungkook to shift slightly, which woke himself up. His eyes adjusted to the light and when he saw Joy two inches from his face, he bolted up from the couch.

 

“Hey! Don’t you know not to get that close to people’s faces?” He yelled out.

 

Caught off guard by Jungkook’s tone, Joy quickly backed away from him. “I-I’m sorry.” she apologized while she looked up at him.

 

When a silence fell between them, Joy took this opportunity to ask him how she got there. “What happened last night? I don’t remember anything.”

 

Memories from the night before came to Jungkook’s mind and he suddenly became embarrassed. “Um, you were super drunk and lost your key so you couldn’t get inside your apartment.”

 

Joy’s eyes grew wide and she jumped to her feet. “I lost my key?!” 

 

Jungkook nodded slowly before pointing to her purse that was sitting on the kitchen counter. “You can double check your purse if you want.”

 

Joy quickly ran to the counter and ripped her purse open. She threw all its contents out and began scrambling through everything. “No, no, no.” She kept repeating.

 

When she came across her cellphone, she picked it up and ran back to the bedroom. Jungkook was hesitant at first but decided to follow her. When he heard her start to speak to someone over the phone, he paused at the door.

 

“Hey, Jihyo, it’s Joy.”

 

Jungkook could only hear Joy’s side of the conversation.

 

“Did I leave my keys at your place while we were getting ready last night?”

 

Jihyo must be the friend she went to the bar with. He watched as Joy ran her fingers through her hair while she listened to Jihyo.

 

“Left it in a cab? What cab?” 

 

From Joy’s reaction, Jungkook knew she had no recollection of her friends sending her home in a cab by herself.

 

“You guys put me in a cab all by myself while I was crazy drunk?!” 

 

He was surprised at how loud her voice got and wanted to give her some privacy but couldn’t bring himself to walk away. He continued watching as she started to pace back and forth in front of his bedroom window.

 

She suddenly stopped and lifted her free arm in the air out of aggravation. “Oh so it was safe because the cab driver was a friend of a friend?!”

 

Listening to the conversation and seeing how upset Joy was made Jungkook feel sorry for her. 

 

“I can’t believe you guys put my life in danger and sent me off with a man you guys didn’t personally know! And even then, you guys sent me by myself when I was completely defenseless.” 

 

Jungkook winced as Joy hung up and threw her phone onto his bed. She didn’t notice him standing by the door and started crying on the edge of his bed. He decided to knock three times before entering.

 

Upon hearing him knock, Joy quickly wiped her tears and looked away so he wouldn’t notice her crying even though he already did.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked softly.

 

Joy nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

Without thinking about it, Jungkook grabbed a box of tissues that was sitting on his desk and sat down next to her. “Here.”

 

She looked at the box of tissue for a few seconds before grabbing it from his hands. “Thank you.”

 

They sat there in silence as Joy continued wiping her tears. Jungkook continued watching and observing her, wanting to help her stop crying but not knowing what to say or do.

 

She looked up at him and softly smiled. “Thank you for letting me crash here last night.”

 

He shook her head, telling her it was no problem. “It was the neighborly thing to do.”

 

A soft giggle came from in response to what he said. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter