Chapter 1

When I'm with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Monday night and a moving truck pulled into the parking lot of Yeppeuda Apartments which was a small apartment complex right on the edge of Seoul. Although this complex was small, it was known for being one of the prettiest buildings in the city with it being a pastel blue and a flower garden in the front that captured everyone’s attention. 

 

A 5’6” girl walked out of the truck. Long, black locks fell down her back making her skin appear fairer than it already was. She was wearing red lipstick and a hint of pink blush giving her a flushed and fresh look. Her distressed jeans, black t-shirt, and white converses gave her a casual yet fashionable appearance.

 

She grabbed her suitcase from out of the truck and began walking into the building. Because this apartment building was so small and only had two storeys, it didn’t have an elevator and only had a flight of stairs.

 

Right before she made it to the top of the staircase, she was almost toppled over when a short blonde girl rushed down the stairs. She clung onto the railing to catch her balance. “Geez.”

 

When she was finally able to regain her balance and compose herself, she climbed to the top of the staircase and saw a boy standing in the doorway of which she assumed was his apartment. From a quick observation, she guessed he was about 5’10”. He had black hair that was just long enough to cover his forehead, and she could tell he was fit underneath his white Puma tracksuit and knew he probably lifted weights. 

 

A bright smile appeared on her face as she enjoyed meeting new people. She stuck out her hand toward him. “Hi, I’m Park Soo Young, but you can call me Joy.”

 

She felt slightly discouraged when he didn’t accept her handshake immediately and just stared at her hand with wide eyes. Her hand was about to drop back down to her side when he grabbed it and gave her a quick handshake. “I’m Jungkook. You can call me Jungkook.”

 

Slightly caught off guard by his statement, Joy let out a nervous giggle. “Well, if you’re in apartment 204 then I guess we’re neighbors.” She pointed to apartment 205 which was right across the hall. “That’s me.”

 

Jungkook’s eyebrows raised slightly. “Cool.” 

 

Joy couldn’t really tell if he was just a cold and distant person or if he genuinely was a little awkward in social settings. She didn’t get a hostile vibe from him but more of a nervousness. Since she only just met him, she didn’t want to dwell too much on it or read too deeply into it.

 

She gave a soft smile and waved. “Well...it was nice to meet you.” 

 

Without waiting for a reaction from him, she turned to unlock her apartment and walked inside, closing the door behind her. 

 

It was already 6:00pm, and Joy knew she had to finish unloading soon so that she could get enough sleep for her first day at work tomorrow.

 

-------------------------


 

The next morning approached quickly, and although Joy was super tired from all the unpacking she did last night, she was extremely excited about her first day at work. She had an hour before she had to be there, but since she was new to Seoul, she wanted to get a head start in case she got lost along the way.

 

She grabbed her backpack off her kitchen table and opened the door. She was slightly surprised when she saw Jungkook open his door too. They both stared at one another in awkward silence, shocked that they opened their doors at the same time. 

 

“Morning.” Joy said, breaking the silence. She was known for being extremely cheerful and friendly so she wasn’t used to awkward silences. 

 

As soon she finished greeting him, he looked down at the floor. “Morning.” He muttered back, turning to lock his door.

 

Joy bit her lip and turned to lock her door as well. “He’s so weird.” She thought to herself. 

 

Once their doors were locked, they both took a step toward the staircase. Since the hallway was so narrow, they couldn’t help but bump into each other. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes widened again and he quickly stepped out of the way, making room for her to go first. He avoided eye contact by turning to look at his apartment door until she told him he could go first. He quickly glanced at her to make sure that it was truly clear for him to go. When she stepped back from the staircase, he thanked her and rushed down the stairs.

 

At the bottom of the staircase, Jungkook threw his sling backpack over his head and made his way out of the building with Joy following closely behind. When they reached the end of the walkway, Joy watched as Jungkook turned left. He was walking so fast she assumed he was going to be late to where he needed to be. She turned to make a right out of the walkway but continued to peer over her shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter