13

Fo'c's'le

Baekho groaned in pain once he reached the old hideout he was talking about. It was really just an old abandoned hut that Seungkwan and him found back when they were little kids, clueless about the outside reality world and the supernatural world of sea monsters. Veins and bushes surrounded it, giving it a very fantasy like feel to it. Overgrown tree branches stuck within and out from the roof too. It was also situated away from the beach and living area since it was closer to a forest area and most people stay away from it since some had said it was haunted. Probably because Seungkwan and Baekho used to make creepy noises and try to scare people for fun but at least it would serve as a hiding spot for now. Baekho pushed it open and the door creaked loudly. It was definitely dusty and no place for them to stay but it was better than getting caught for now. He coughed a little and squinted, trying to find where their old pillows were. They had cleared out the hut when both of them decided to let their childhood memories go, leaving just a few things. He put Minhyun down on the floor and picked up a few of the pillows, fluffing it outside so the dust won't suffocate them inside. He made sure to keep an eye out for anyone before heading back inside. He shut the door and latched it.

"It's not much but it'll do for a night," Baekho said while putting the pillows down. He helped Minhyun onto one before plopping down painfully onto another. 

"Are you... hurt?" Minhyun asked worriedly since Baekho had been making noises that sounded like he was in pain. Baekho smiled weakly and nodded. He peeled the wet shorts off his thigh to reveal the bruise on his thigh. Minhyun frowned and touched it gently. Baekho twitched and winced, holding Minhyun's wrist to move his hand away. Minhyun pulled back. "S-sorry."

"It's fine...," Baekho said softly. He looked at Minhyun's tail curved up to his chest. "What about you? Let me see." He reached over and gently brushed it. Minhyun straightened his tail for Baekho to remove his shirt and see his injuries. It didn't seem to be as bad as Baekho expected it to be. In fact, it was pretty healed to his surprise. "How...?"

"The water..." Minhyun scratched his nail uneasily. "Seawater... heals me... a little." 

"What... why didn't you tell me that earlier? You said you couldn't swim but..." Baekho asked with confusion. If seawater healed Minhyun, he would have brought the other back earlier or even left him there on the first day itself. That was when he realised, the other hadn't intended on going back earlier. "You... wanted to stay."

Minhyun pursed his lips and nodded. "Sorry. I didn't lie... about the... mermaids. Or...being unable...to swim back then." The pain in his stomach caused by the harpoon before this wouldn't have gotten him far at all even if he had tried forcefully.

"No, you haven't lied about anything," Baekho said while sighing. It was true though. Minhyun had been honest this whole time. They held each other’s hands again, feeling closer and safer that way although Baekho was starting to feel cold again from being exposed. 

"You're... cold," Minhyun spoke worriedly. 

"I am cold. It's night time and I'm not wearing anything." Minhyun looked at himself. He was bare too but he was more accustomed to cold than Baekho was. "And I'm... quite sensitive to the cold." Minhyun lifted Baekho's shirt to him and he shook his head. "It's already wet. If I wear it, I might catch a cold."

Minhyun pouted a little and decided to try shifting around. Baekho wondered what Minhyun was doing but realised what he was doing when Minhyun pulled the pillow from under him and placed it beside Baekho. He pushed himself back onto the pillow and wrapped his arms around Baekho who was pretty shocked by it. Minhyun was warmer than Baekho thought he would be since both of them did come out from the cold seawater together or maybe Baekho was just much colder than he thought he was. He smiled and returned the hug though. 

"Sorry I'm such a terrible carer," Baekho chuckled and sneezed. Minhyun glanced at him worriedly, unsure how to help Baekho when he was the bigger problem here. His existence itself had caused Baekho so much trouble and yet he couldn't bring himself to leave the other. "I'm going to... take a short nap. Once I feel better, I'll run back.... home and..." Baekho's voice trailed off as his head slumped on Minhyun's shoulder. His forehead burning against Minhyun's skin.

"Baekho?" Minhyun whispered, afraid that Baekho had passed out. He tried moving Baekho but the other's weight was on him so he couldn't do much but allow the human to rest. He just held him closer, trying to help his body keep warm. 

Hours passed and the sunlight started seeping into the hut through the cracks of the wooden planks. Minhyun squinted, waking up when he felt the warmth greet his face. He yawned and wondered when he had fallen asleep. Baekho was still in his arms, warm and snug. At some point of the night, Minhyun had moved the other so he laid on his lap instead of shoulder, hugging him in that position instead. He stared at Baekho's face, gently touching it when a sudden noise made Minhyun flinch. The merman didn't know what a ringtone was but he was definitely sure where the sound was coming from. He stretched his arm over and felt into Baekho's pocket, moving until he felt the cold vibrating machine. He pulled it out and recognized the phone device that Baekho had showed him before. There was a face on the phone and he frowned in confusion. Why was Seungkwan trapped inside it?

"Seungkwan?" Minhyun said while shaking the phone, not fully understanding the concept of a phone call. He decided to poke the screen since that was what Baekho did to make it do stuff. He clicked the answer button by pure luck.

"Oh my God! Baekho??!! Are you there?!" Seungkwan's loud voice startled Minhyun, making him drop the phone onto Baekho who groaned and shifted, moving his hand to cover his face from the sunlight. 

"Seungkwan?" Minhyun said in a confused tone and looked around. Where was he? Why doesn't he see him even though he hears him? 

"Who is that?" 

"Minhyun."

"Wait. The mermaid? Fish person?" Minhyun hissed at being called fish person, allowing Seungkwan to come to the realisation that it was indeed the merman. "Oh gosh. Where are you? Where is Baekho? What's going on?"

"Where... are you?"

"What do you mean? I'm on the phone! I mean.... Oh. Great, you don't know how a phone works. Where the hell is Baekho? Why did he make you answer the phone? Is the coward too scared to talk to me himself?!" Seungkwan angrily rambled on. Minhyun was still confused as to where the sound was coming from but Seungkwan was definitely loud enough until Baekho woke up in a rather irritated mood. 

"The hell... why can I hear Seungkwan even in my dreams?" Baekho complained as he opened his eyes. 

"You tell that bugger to pick up his goddamn phone now!"

"Seungkwan?!" Baekho gasped and sat up, startling Minhyun. He looked around for his phone and quickly picked it up from his own body. "Seungkwan, oh God. My phone still works."

"You mean, you didn't check??" 

"No, no and can you please quiet down? I can hear you without even putting it near my ear," Baekho angrily whispered back. Seungkwan's voice lowered by tenfold and Minhyun had to creep closer to hear the other. "I'm sorry I didn't check. I was stunted out in the middle of the sea for a long while."

"And you came back how long ago? Where the hell are you? I've been worried sick ever since your merman just popped back out from the sea, hurt the two fishermen and dragged you in with it. I thought I lost my friend for... good or worse, I don't know!" 

"I came back last night. Remember the little hut we used to play in? The one we decided to empty out when we shifted to the city?"

"I'll come right away!"

"Wait. I need you to get me a change of clothes and... the wheelchair. If possible, a wet blanket too so Minhyun doesn't dry out. And sunglasses or a mask. Something to hide his face with."

"Pray tell why the merman is still with you? He could have just dropped you back to shore and disappear like... forever??" 

"Kwan... please. I'll explain later," Baekho said, sounding more tired at every word he had to speak. 

"Are you alright?"

"No... I'm burning up here."

"I'll come. Just... just stay put."

"Thank you, Kwan." Baekho cut the call and fell back onto Minhyun's lap. His whole body felt like it was submerged in ice cold water but lit with flames from hell. His muscles hurt and his eyes felt like coals in his socket.  

"Are you okay?" Minhyun asked, touching Baekho who shuddered from the touch.

"You're... so cold now," he mumbled weakly. Minhyun pursed his lips worriedly. He didn't usually get a cold so he couldn't tell what was wrong with the human but he just knew it wasn't right since his temperature was fluctuating like crazy.

"What... should I do?" Minhyun asked, wanting to help. Baekho held his hand and smiled, placing it against his heavily beating chest.

"Just stay here with me," Baekho said softly and Minhyun nodded vigorously. 

"I will." 

"Thank you. If someone.... knocks, ask who it is first... okay? I'm going to sleep."

"Okay." Minhyun eyed the red cheeks as well as heavy rise and fall of the other's chest. He wished he could do more for the other but he didn't know how to cure a human of sickness. Much less make him feel better so he just waited. 

Meanwhile, Seungkwan had rushed out of his house with the wheelchair and a duffel bag in tow. After Minhyun had attacked and dragged Baekho back into the sea, he had gone back to shore and bring the wheelchair home with him. He was too afraid to do anything or tell anyone what he had just witnessed. Sharp nails had torn apart human skin like it was paper and his fangs had ripped their necks, leaving them to bleed out. He had hid under his blanket all night, unsure if his friend would even be safe if left alone with such a creature. Yet he recalled them sharing a kiss and felt torn apart internally. Did Minhyun really came back just to save Baekho? Or did he just feel like leaving his prey behind was no good after all? What if he had lied about being different? So many questions passed Seungkwan's mind that he had actually almost screamed when the one who answered him through the phone was Minhyun. 

Seungkwan's steps slowed down when he was almost at Baekho's place. He knocked on the door and was greeted by Baekho's aunt as well as his nieces and nephews who clung to his legs and invited him to play with them. As much as he would love to, he worried for his friend way too much now to play with a bunch of kids. He excused himself to Baekho's room but before he could open the door, Baekho's aunt stopped him. 

"Do you know where Baekho went?" She asked and Seungkwan turned to her nervously. "I haven't seen that boy for a while now."

"Uh... he's at my place. Slept over, you know. Just like old times," Seungkwan quickly lied on the spot even though he didn't want to but he couldn't just blatantly say your nephew is currently in an abandoned hut with a freaking merman and possibly dying. 

"Oh I see. Could you tell him to be home tonight? We would like to have dinner with him before he leaves again soon," She said and smiled. Seungkwan smiled awkwardly and nodded.

"Definitely," he said and quickly excused himself into Baekho's room to grab a few sets of clothes, tossing them into the bag as well as towels and blankets. He didn't know what they would need after all so he just grabbed Baekho's passport and first aid kit as well. Definitely wallet too. He rushed out, avoiding everyone's attention to the best of his abilities and sped off to the abandoned hut.