7

Fo'c's'le

Once all of the metallic stuff was off Minhyun's body, he felt much lighter and could even shift around Baekho's bed easier even with the wound. Baekho had also changed out the bandage, checking to be sure that the wound wasn't infected. He didn't know if Minhyun would be able to take their human medicine after all. There was no certified fish people medicine in the pharmacies after all. He watched as Minhyun dragged himself to a different corner of the bed, silently in turmoil as his bed got drenched with the merman's tail.

"Alright. That's enough wriggling around," Baekho said and tried to move Minhyun back to where he was before but Minhyun pouted, shooting him sad looks and the other couldn't do anything. He sighed and sat on the floor. "I'll let you move around but you have to put this on and you have to dry your tail too. I can't sleep if the bed is wet." Baekho lifted the shirt he had taken out earlier. Minhyun turned to him and then to his wet tail that was laid flat onto the bed. He didn't understand why Baekho couldn't sleep on a wet bed and he didn't want to put whatever that was in Baekho's hands on as well. He preferred the blanket and tried to pull it over his body but Baekho quickly took it away.

"No! You can't wet my blanket too!" Baekho squeaked and Minhyun was confused. His eyebrows lowered themselves to a frown. "Look. You're probably used to being around water all the time so it doesn't disturb you but... I'm human. I live on land. Dry land. So... being constantly wet isn't my thing." Minhyun showed him a pout again, flicking his tail towards Baekho and attempted to wrap it around the human male's waist. He tugged him forcefully with the end of his tail. Baekho gasped, stumbling over. He tossed his blanket out of reach before his whole weight crashed onto the bed and Minhyun's wet lower body. 

"Minhyun!" Baekho flailed while the merman seemed to laugh at the other. Baekho was wet now with his tail curled securely around him too. "Gosh. This is..." Baekho didn't know whether to scold Minhyun for being this mischievous or just try to have fun with him since he was smiling so widely to the point his eyes were crescent shaped. He sighed and patted Minhyun's tail. "Very funny." Baekho twisted his body and climbed atop of Minhyun who stopped laughing to see what Baekho was up to. 

"Now you can't run either!" Baekho said as he tried to put the shirt onto Minhyun. The voiceless merman yelped and tried to stop Baekho from sliding the sleeves onto his outstretched arms. Baekho was careful not to come in contact with his stomach area as he pulled one sleeve along Minhyun's arm, silently laughing at the fact that Minhyun didn't know that him trying to block Baekho was only helping him put the shirt on. He managed to get the shirt across his back and slid his other arm in, successfully putting the shirt on. Minhyun stared at his covered arms in horror. "Look. You're starting to look more like me. More human." 

Baekho grinned widely and lifted his shirt slightly as if to make a point. Minhyun glared at him but stopped once he realised that Baekho was right. He looked at the shirt again and poked it. It felt soft. Maybe this wasn't too bad. Baekho noticed Minhyun calmed down a lot and took the chance to button the shirt up. Minhyun squeaked at the sight of his body disappearing under the shirt, grabbing Baekho's arms to stop him but Baekho didn't stop until all the buttons were on. "There! All better." 

Baekho gave him a light pat on his chest and quickly got off Minhyun, sitting down beside him instead. He grumbled slightly at how soaked his bed was but Minhyun seemed more comfortable like this so he didn't make any more fuss. Minhyun tugged at the shirt, confused as to how this thing was stuck around him. He twisted and turned, wincing slightly at the pain. He gave up and left it alone since it wasn't doing him any harm. He looked at Baekho who was just staring back at him and shot a smile at his direction. Baekho felt as though someone shot his heart with a full dose of happiness and had to look away before he started going crazy just from one smile.

Minhyun was confused when Baekho looked away though so the merman tugged on his sleeve to get his attention again. Baekho turned to look at him again before red started crawling up his cheeks. Minhyun sat up and moved closer to Baekho who instinctively moved back but his large tail was in the way, curling around Baekho's side again. "S.... sing?" Minhyun asked with a bright smile. 

"Huh? You want me to sing?" He replied the merman who nodded eagerly. "Um.... do you really like my singing that much?" Another nod and eye smiles pierced Baekho's beating heart. 

"Pl...please?" Minhyun looked too adorable for Baekho to reject him so he nodded.

"Alright, alright. What do I sing though?" Baekho wasn't sure so he grabbed his phone to try to search his playlist. Minhyun started becoming curious with this metal plate in Baekho's hands. He had seen a couple of them in the water before but could never make them function much like how Baekho was using it. Baekho played a song so he could sing along, making Minhyun flinch when a tune started playing. His eyes sparkled when Baekho started singing. He really loved the man's voice. It sounded so soothing and calming, distracting the merman himself from his own situation. He wished time would stop now and he could forever hear Baekho sing. Sing for him. Sing to him. He wished to sing together too. 

Baekho kept his eyes on Minhyun as he sang, the other doing the same as well. Sometimes he would break into a nervous smile but tried to keep his voice steady. Minhyun seemed to really enjoy his singing and that made him genuinely happy too. He did like singing after all. Minhyun slowly laid down again, tail still lazily curled against Baekho. His eyelids closed as he listened to Baekho singing. Fatigue started pulling him into a deep sleep and Baekho continued singing until the merman had fallen asleep. He slowly stopped singing and covered him with the blanket before he could remember about the whole water situation.

After staring at the calm merman, he realised he was really hungry. He hadn't eaten anything at all for the entire day and it was almost evening too. He quickly scrambled up from his bed and headed to the kitchen to make some instant noodles for himself. He was glad that he was old enough for his relatives to sometimes ignore him and let him do his own thing for the whole day. When he came back to his room, Minhyun was still sound asleep. Baekho locked his room door and sat on the floor, slurping away on the noodle. He tried not to watch the other's sleeping face and instead surfed the net to perhaps find more information about mermaids or merman. 

Of course, there was no saying any of the facts inside were real or fake. Baekho doubted half of them were even credible. He wondered what was he going to do for the next few days. He couldn't leave Minhyun alone in the room but bringing him out seemed like a terrible idea too. Baekho grumbled softly and wondered if he could perhaps teach Minhyun things about the human world. Maybe the other would be interested. It was worth a try, plus he already knew how to speak their language. He looked at his phone and then recalled Minhyun staring intently at it earlier when he used the music player. 

Baekho had fallen asleep himself while keeping a watch on Minhyun. Head leaning against his own bed, eyes closed and lips slightly parted. Minhyun woke up and reached up to rub his eyes, stiffening slightly when he felt his right arm being immobilised. He looked down to see Baekho's hand on it. When did that happen, he thought to himself as he tried to sit up without pulling his hand away. He didn't even notice he had fallen asleep. He ended up rubbing his eyes with one hand and yawned, blinking them to feel more awake. His gaze lingered on the human as he placed his free hand on his hair. 

"Soft....," he mumbled and smiled, enjoying the feeling of Baekho's soft hair in his hands. He moved his hand away when he felt really dry. He lifted the blanket to find the water had all evaporated at some point, leaving his tail to dry up inside. He removed the blanket and scooted towards the edge of the bed, trying to dip his tail back into the aquarium but couldn't quite decide if he rather do that or keep holding onto the human's hand. After some thought, he just sat still. Drying up won't be that terrible as long as he doesn't die from it, he thought. 

Baekho woke up after 10 more minutes, shifting to try to get into a more comfortable spot when he noticed his line of sight didn't have Minhyun. He sat up abruptly only to find the merman towering over him in his seated position. "Oh... Hey.." Minhyun flashed him a smile and Baekho smiled back before noticing their intertwined fingers. He quickly pulled away. "I'm sorry. I was just trying to.... uh... look at how your hand was like. I didn't mean to fall asleep while holding it." Minhyun shook his head, patting Baekho's shoulder so he would calm down. He scooted the rest of the way to the edge and dipped his tail right into the aquarium. 

"Were you drying out?" Baekho asked while turning around to face Minhyun who nodded in response. "What happens if you do dry out?" Minhyun shrugged. He swished his tail in the aquarium and Baekho couldn't resist touching it, making the merman flinch in surprise. "Ah. Sorry. It's... just so fascinating." Minhyun looked at Baekho's feet and then pointed at it. He patted his fish lap and waited patiently for Baekho to understand what he wanted. "Huh? You want to see my feet?" Minhyun nodded. "Well, I guess that's fair since I get to look at your tail." Baekho got up from the floor and sat on the bed. He lifted his legs up and put them on the bed but Minhyun took hold of his foot and placed it on his lap to look at. His scaley hands felt weird against Baekho's foot. He tried not to twitch whenever Minhyun touched a ticklish spot. 

He wriggled his toes and Minhyun seemed surprised, trying to grab them but he curled his toes inwards, chuckling as Minhyun turned to him in horror. Baekho guessed he barely see people's feet since they wore shoes outside. He uncurled his toes and motioned Minhyun to turn back. The merman squeaked and continued squeezing his toes. Baekho laughed and Minhyun stared at him, making his laughter slowly disappear. 

"Why're you staring at me?" Baekho asked, smiling at the other. Minhyun raised his brows and smiled.

"Cute," he replied, making Baekho blush and cough awkwardly. 

"What's cute?" Baekho asked just to be sure he wasn't getting the merman wrong. 

"Laugh." Baekho laughed nervously. This was the first time someone had said his laugh was cute. Seungkwan had said it was annoying like a spoilt princess before. 

"Thank you...?" Minhyun grinned and leaned over to the human. 

"Laugh... sing... cute," he said. Baekho blinked and leaned back. 

"What?" Baekho felt nervous at the approaching merman. His pretty face made Baekho's heart beat faster despite knowing the other was a male. Minhyun tapped Baekho's chest.

"More," he said to Baekho's confusion. 

"M-more?" Minhyun nodded and pointed to his own ears. Then back at Baekho. "You... you want to hear my laugh and singing more?"

"Yes."