8

Fo'c's'le

Human behavior is something most humans themselves can't understand at times yet Baekho felt as though he could understand Minhyun or maybe the other was just very upfront about what he wants. The two somehow ended in an awkward sitting position where Baekho's was nudging against the side of the merman's tail, legs over it and they were both leaning together closely to look at the phone in his hands. Minhyun even had one of his hands against Baekho's shoulder as he tried to get a closer look at the device that was showing colorful pictures. 

Baekho tried to explain to him what the phone was and what it does but most of them ended up sounding like gibberish. Minhyun really liked the camera function though, constantly using it whenever Baekho let him touch the phone. He would snap pictures of Baekho which made the human feel really awkward.

"Don't you think taking pictures of yourself is better? You're more handsome than I am," Baekho chuckled as Minhyun took another picture of the laughing male. 

"Me...? Handsome?" Minhyun asked. His voice was getting much better too so he could say a couple of words more. As Baekho thought, Minhyun's voice did sound beautiful to his ears. Like a lullaby that could put you to sleep. 

"Yeah. Or beautiful, whichever you prefer," Baekho said, taking his phone back from the merman who was stunned.

"No," Minhyun said and moved closer to Baekho. "You. Handsome." 

"Eh? Me? No way. Seungkwan says I look too rough and fierce," Baekho replied, taking pictures of Minhyun instead. The other was super photogenic in his eyes and with the shirt on, he looked just like a regular human who had the potential of becoming a model. Maybe, even an idol with a voice like that. But the lower half that was nudged against Baekho kept reminding him that that was pretty impossible. Baekho was too distracted with checking if the pictures he took were clear to notice that Minhyun kept inching closer to him until he looked up again to see the merman just barely inches away from his own face. He stiffened up and wasn't sure what to do. 

"You're a little too close?" Baekho whispered since Minhyun was close enough to hear it anyways. Minhyun blinked his purple eyes and smiled. Baekho felt his heart falter at the sight of such an ethereal looking.... merman being so close to him.

"Humans.... like... being... close," Minhyun said, one word by one word slowly. 

"I'm not too sure about that," Baekho replied nervously. Okay, he was really too close now. Baekho was afraid the other could hear how fast and loud his heart was beating. He was even afraid to breathe. "Humans don't usually... get this close for no reason."

"R...reason?" 

"Yeah. They get close for like... hugs or... intimate stuff. Regular friends don't exactly... do that," Baekho tried to explain. He was actually just trying to find an excuse to make Minhyun move away since his legs were blocked by Minhyun's arm and tail clipping them. He didn't think he would be able to hold back if Minhyun decided to come any closer.

"Friends?" He pointed at Baekho and then himself. "Friends?"

"Yes. Friends. We are... friends," Baekho replied nervously. Would it be so bad to wish to be more than that though? They lived in two different worlds despite being in the same one. Minhyun shook his head and backed away slightly.

"No. Not friends." 

"Eh? What do you mean?"

"Mate."

Baekho froze. He squinted a little and then started shaking his head. "No, no, no. You and me? Nooooo. Not. Definitely not mates." He was even waving his arms frantically. Minhyun frowned. 

"No?"

"No. Of course not. I mean... That's... mates... I mean, I would like to be your mate but that's just impossible," Baekho stuttered nervously, biting his lower lip. Minhyun's expression went blank and he sat properly so his wound would stop aching. His tail drooped.

"Not... mates?"

"No... don't be sad. Look. You're a merman. And I'm human. Did you really think that would be possible?" Baekho asked, chuckling to try to rid himself of the awkwardness creeping up his chest. 

"Yes," Minhyun replied flatly. Baekho let out an awkward grunt. 

"Since when?" 

"Boat. Singing," Minhyun tried to explain with the little words he could say now. Baekho opened his eyes wider. 

"Wait, wait. Since then? You've considered me to be a mate?" Minhyun nodded and tilted his head, confused as to why Baekho was freaking out. "But you didn't even know me. You just heard me singing." Minhyun showed an upset face and the other felt bad for acting the way he was. 

"But..." Minhyun looked down at his tail, flicking it sadly. "I've.... never.... felt.... like this.... before." Minhyun placed a hand against his chest. Baekho wasn't sure if this was alright at all. Minhyun was a merman after all. 

"Me neither," he said honestly and Minhyun looked at Baekho who sighed and laid down, spreading his arms out. "I don't understand myself now either. I want something more than just friends with you too but mates? And... and the fact that you're not fully human just doesn't click right with me. It makes me feel guilty. You could be out there with some pretty mermaid but instead you're stuck here with me."

"No mermaids," Minhyun said softly, stretching his body so he could lay beside Baekho. His tail flopped onto Baekho's lap as he turned his body, careful not to apply pressure against his own stomach. 

"What? What do you mean?" Baekho asked, eyeing the merman who was scooting closer to him again.

"The sea... all gone. Only me," Minhyun replied and stopped moving when his head was at the same level as Baekho's. 

"Right. You're alone out in the sea," Baekho mumbled, recalling that the other had mentioned that he was alone before. "How did that happen?"

"Waves... separating us. I'm... different," Minhyun said with difficulty. He wanted to explain to Baekho but there was only so much he could say before his throat started constricting painfully again. Baekho clearly didn't understand what the other was trying to say either.

"I don't get it... but... anyways, we can't be mates. I'm human and you're a... merman."

"But... you... you like me... too," Minhyun said, tugging on Baekho's shirt. Baekho froze at what Minhyun said. 

"I... I do?" Baekho was confused. Since when did he? 

"You... want more too... don't you? You... said it." His sentences were slowly piecing themselves together as he found more control in his voice again.

"Oh ..." Baekho hadn't realised that what he had said earlier was totally a confession. His cheeks started turning red out of embarrassment. "Oh my god. I didn't even realise... I. I'm so stupid." He covered his face with his hands and groaned. How could he have let his true feelings slip out without him realising? 

"Not stupid... Silly." Minhyun chuckled and laid his head down as he stared at Baekho who peeked at him with pink cheeks. 

"You know... that I like you?" Baekho asked sheepishly and Minhyun nodded proudly. "How? Am I that obvious?"

"You're... nice to me...."

"But..."

"Always... yelling at... Kwan."

"Oh... I don't mean to. It's just that we have been friends for a long time so I naturally just... do that."

"Yell... at me?"

"No, no. You're not Seungkwan. I won't yell at you," Baekho said while turning to his side to face Minhyun. "I do... like you. I'm actually just really attracted to you. Which is weird considering the short span of time we have spent together." 

"Weird...?" Minhyun's fingers found their way to Baekho's cheek. His hand was cold against Baekho's warm cheek. "But... I like you... too." His warm cheeks became even warmer and Baekho felt like his mouth was going to rip from all these embarrassed smiling. 

"Y-you do?" Minhyun nodded and moved his thumb gently. His eyes never left Baekho's except for the occasional blinking. "But... we can't be together." Minhyun frowned. Again. 

"Why? Because... I'm not... human?" Minhyun sounded a little hurt and Baekho slowly pulled his hand away. 

"Yes.... and I can't possibly bring you to Seoul with me when I leave. Your home is the ocean. The sea."

"I can.... let me... try," Minhyun said, moving closer to Baekho who gulped. 

"You have a mermaid tail. How am I supposed to smuggle you onto the boat? And what if people find out halfway through? You won't have a choice but to jump back into the sea. And we don't know what will happen if you dry out. And there's way more people in Seoul. Even if I transfer you to the rivers there, chances are we won't ever be able to meet alone," Baekho said, trying to explain to Minhyun why this won't ever work but Minhyun refused to believe that. 

"Stay here?" 

"I have to go back to work, Minhyun..."

"Glass box?" 

"I don't have space for an aquarium that can fit you." Minhyun pouted and held onto Baekho's shirt, trying to pull him closer. The human male was pretty flustered by his action but didn't push him away. "We can't.... be together, Minhyun."

"Liar," Minhyun hissed, eyes gleaming sadly. Baekho sighed. He could always just renovate his house to accommodate the merman for sure but he wasn't willing to because he knew if there was ever a possibility that Minhyun might get exposed to a busy city like Seoul, things would go crazy and he would be unable to protect the other. Minhyun would most likely be taken away to an ocean exhibit or maybe even be studied and experimented on. There were too many risks to bring him back. Not to mention he would also have to get him across the beach to the pier to get onto the ferry. 

"I'm really sorry," Baekho whispered, trying not to let his selfishness take over him. He really did want to stay with Minhyun too but he had human responsibilities too. "We can still hang out for this next 4 days... before I see you off."

"But... what if... it happens... again? Who... who is. Going to. Help me?" Minhyun asked in broken sentences as he started choking up himself. He held back the tears that were tempted to spill to show the other just how much he wanted to be together but he didn't want to burden Baekho with his feelings too. Baekho squeezed Minhyun's hands in his. 

"That's why you have to go far away once I let you go," Baekho said. "Swim out to the ocean. Be safe. Find your people." Minhyun shook his head and breathed in painfully. He leaned his head against their hands and sniffed. 

"I can't...."

"Why not?"

"I'm different."

"How?"

"Not... like them... They eat... Humans." 

A cold chill ran down Baekho's spine when he registered what Minhyun just said. "What...? You're saying... the other mermaids eat humans?" Minhyun nodded, still hiding his face. 

"I don't... want to.... be like them," he cried softly. Baekho wondered if this was why Minhyun decided to stay by himself. The sea, the waves that separated them from him. He felt safer being by himself than being with them. "They... eat... mermaids too." 

"No... way." 

"I'm scared... everywhere... the beach, humans. Out there... mermaids. But here..." Minhyun looked up with tear filled eyes. "Here... There's you." Baekho felt every muscle in his body clench at the sight of the merman tearing up in front of him. He let Minhyun's hands go and pulled him into a hug instead, gently patting his back. 

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know," Baekho apologised, feeling even worse now. How was he supposed to part with Minhyun when he knew the other would just be in danger wherever he was now? He squeezed him slightly and it took Minhyun awhile before he returned the hug since he was unused to the concept of hugs. He liked Baekho's warmth though. It made him feel safe.

It made him want to stay.