6

Fo'c's'le

Seungkwan had managed to make his way to the wet market without bumping into anyone he knows. He was nervous and couldn't quite hide it from expression. He still couldn't believe that there was a living merman in his best friend's room and the fact that his best friend could actually communicate with it! Seungkwan could guess that they both had some feelings for each other with the way they stared at one another but he doubted his dense friend noticed that at all. Not that he could blame him since Baekho had never been the best with girls but a guy? And a merman too? Maybe Baekho just had some really weird tastes even though he couldn't deny the merman was absolutely stunning albeit pale.

The younger male managed to buy a huge load of raw seaweed since he had always been friendly with the stall owners and they had always loved his presence so they gave him more than he thought he would need. He was grateful and carefully carried the whole package in his arm as he headed back to Baekho's place. He passed by the beach and noticed the gathering of fishermen who were yelling angrily at each other. Seungkwan stood and listened in to their argument for awhile, careful not to be too visible with his eavesdropping. They were loud and furious at one another anyways so there was no way they would pay him any attention.

They were accusing one another for hiding the merman and wanting to snatch the money all for themselves. Some argued that someone had broke it out and tossed it back in the sea and they should try to find it again before it got far enough. There were a lot of different story variation but Seungkwan was glad none of it pointed towards his best friend so he hastily walked off before any of them spotted him.

He knocked on Baekho's room door and yelled for his friend to open up. Baekho opened it just wide enough for Seungkwan to slip in before shutting it again.

"Wow. You really made a mess out of those guys," Seungkwan said, dumping the package onto the floor. He started to open it and noticed Minhyun was now sitting upright. Shirtless apart from the bandage covering his wound. With his mermaid tail covered with wet towels and dipped into the aquarium. He raised a brow and turned to Baekho. "Look. I know he has a great body to look at but don't you think you should at least make him wear a shirt just in case someone catches you hanging out with a shirtless male in your room?" 

Baekho coughed as the heat crept up his cheeks. "What?" He didn't expect Seungkwan to say that, not that he could deny he actually did like looking at Minhyun's chest muscles and broad shoulders. Seungkwan rolled his eyes and opened the box, sliding it towards Minhyun whose eyes sparkled at the sight of the seaweed. He bent as far as he could to try to grab it but his wound hurt a lot, barely giving him enough reach. Seungkwan sighed at the pitiful state of the merman and used a towel to scoop them up for him. Minhyun looked at Seungkwan with a pointed gaze before he gradually softened up and took the seaweed from the other, flashing a quick smile before devouring it. 

Baekho, on the other hand, tried to find for something Minhyun could wear. His shirts would probably look huge yet short on the other though. He guessed it was better than leaving him shirtless. He didn't need weird rumors that he was sleeping with a man although that wasn't entirely untrue. He took a loose white buttoned up shirt and scooted over to Minhyun who was munching on seaweed while staring at the shirt that Baekho was bringing closer to him. "Do you want to try it?" 

Baekho lifted the shirt up to show Minhyun who frowned and shook his head. He didn't seem to like the idea of wearing a shirt. 

"Geez. Just throw it on him," Seungkwan huffed, unable to stand the look on both males. They just looked like they wanted to pounce on each other right there and then but something kept them apart. Maybe it was the fact that Minhyun had a fish tail or that Baekho was too innocent to understand his emotions but Seungkwan could see it clear as day. They both wanted each other in ways he couldn't explain. "You two... are so..." He cringed and got up, taking the shirt from Baekho to put it onto Minhyun who hissed without a sound. 

"Slow down. If you keep scaring him, he won't like you," Baekho said and took the shirt back from Seungkwan. Minhyun pouted a little and went back to eating the seaweed.

"Okay, okay, Mr fish lover. My job is done here for today. If he's still hungry, just give me a call and I'll bring more over. Otherwise I'm just going to leave you two alone before I see something I don't want or need to see," Seungkwan said to Baekho's confusion but he walked his friend out anyways. "Also it might be better if you don't let anyone else see him. The fishermen are really angry about losing him."

"I understand. Thank you, Kwan. I don't know how I'll make it up to you but... thank you," Baekho said genuinely and smiled. Seungkwan sighed and patted his friend's shoulder. 

"Just promise me you won't do anything stupid and even if you want to, give me a call, okay?" Seungkwan replied worriedly and Baekho nodded.

"I'll try my best."

"Good. I'll leave now. Hey, one more thing. Don't fall for him... You'll only feel hurt when you have to part," Seungkwan said, meaning every word but Baekho just gave him a half smile. He believed it was a little too late for that advice as he waved goodbye to his friend. After Seungkwan left, Baekho locked himself in the room again. Minhyun had finished what was given to him and wanted more so he was trying to use his tail to get the seaweed out but he was making the room wet all over. 

"Wait, wait. Don't do that. I've got it," Baekho said, lifting the entire box to put onto a chair so Minhyun could take it with ease. Minhyun smiled as though he was thanking him before he dug in again. Baekho watched the other rip the seaweed with his fangs before chewing it and swallowing. His Adam apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed. "Don't fall for a fish person..." He mumbled to himself. Minhyun looked at him when he heard what the other had said and tilted his head. "Ah... Nothing. I didn't say anything."

"...Ah....," a small voice cracked out from Minhyun's parted lips. His voice was deep and raspier than usual or whatever Baekho had heard before. Baekho blinked and stared at him as he pursed his lips and then tried to speak again. "..o... ae. .. o..." Minhyun frowned when he couldn't quite get the words right but Baekho grinned anyways.

"You don't have to strain yourself," Baekho replied and patted his head. Minhyun let him although he would have probably bitten the hand if it belonged to anyone else. "You have pretty soft hair...." 

"...ho... Ba... ek... ho." Minhyun smiled when he managed to say something close to what the other's name sounded like. Then he went back to eating the seaweed. Baekho's grin only grew wider as he sat down beside Minhyun. 

"Uh... do you miss the sea?" He asked Minhyun as the merman munched away on his seaweed. Minhyun seemed to give it some thought before shaking his head to Baekho's surprise. He thought the other would want to go back. He belonged there after all. "Why not? Don't you have.... family there? Or friends?" 

Minhyun shook his head again, slurping the last bit in his hand before his fingers clean. "...on... a...one...a...lone," Minhyun pushed himself to say and let out a strangled cough. 

"Ah... you really shouldn't talk yet if you can't," Baekho said worriedly but he was even more worried that the other had said that he was alone. Minhyun looked down with a rather upset expression. Then he turned to Baekho and pointed at him. "What is it?"

"...ea...ving..." Minhyun showed 4 fingers, hoping Baekho would understand what he was trying to say but the other was confused.

"4? What's wrong with 4?"

Minhyun pointed at Baekho again before turning to the window and pointed outside and then turned back to Baekho. "Lea...vi...ng." Just then it clicked in his head.

"Oh. Yeah..... I'm leaving in 4 days. Don't worry. I'll help you back into the sea before that," Baekho replied and smiled as reassuringly as he could. Minhyun didn't look too happy about what he had said though but Baekho didn't realise that since he took notice of the cuffs instead and started fiddling with them. There were keyholes to unlock them but Baekho didn't have the keys. Stealing them wasn't an option either. "I'll try to lock pick them... not sure if that'll work."

He got up from the bed again to try to find for a pin or something that he could use. Minhyun watched his back and looked down, slowly waving his tail in the water before lifting it up and try to poke Baekho with it. Baekho flinched when he felt something cold touch his back and he glanced back to see Minhyun's tail. Minhyun grinned and pulled his tail back to Baekho's confusion. He got a paper clip and went back to him. "What's wrong?" 

Minhyun shook his head, staring at the male again. He even leaned a little closer as Baekho tried to find for the keyhole on the chain around his neck. He sniffed Baekho, nose touching his neck and the human male twitched. "Minhyun, if you come so near me, I won't be able to see it." Minhyun moved back slightly, showing an irritated expression. His tail swished in the water a little aggressively too. Baekho chuckled at his reaction but continued what he had been doing.

The room fell silent, only filled with the sound of a pin fiddling within the metallic cuff. A click alerted Baekho that it probably worked as it opened up into two. The perks of picking lockers back in high school, he thought to himself. He removed the first cuff and Minhyun reached up to his neck to feel his skin again. There were red marks from both the cuff and his injuries from the previous scuffling. He moved to work on the wrist cuffs and Minhyun just continued to stare at the human male with interest. 

Baekho felt awkward that he was being stared at but guessed it would be difficult to try talking to Minhyun while holding onto his hand as well. Minhyun moved his head close enough to place it on Baekho's, smiling as he smelt the other's shampoo. It tickled Baekho but he tried to pay no heed to it as he managed to unlock one side and immediately moved to the other. "What are you doing?" Baekho chuckled softly when he felt Minhyun's head rubbing against his. He moved Minhyun away so he could sit up to look at the merman who was smiling. 

He mouthed some words out but Baekho couldn't really read lips so he just gave the merman a confused look. "Th...ank... you." Minhyun smiled brightly and Baekho's lips returned a smile just as bright. 

"You're welcome," he replied and went back to working on the other wrist. 

"W... why... h...hel...help?" Minhyun croaked out and Baekho shrugged in response. 

"I just... don't think it's right to treat you like this. As a... fellow living creature," Baekho answered. Minhyun wasn't quite satisfied with his reply though since he knew for a fact that humans catch fish to eat but he stopped talking to rest his throat, hoping it would heal faster so he could talk to Baekho more.