12

Fo'c's'le

A/N : Guess who isn't done playing around with your feelings yet? Yep, that's me

###

A hand grabbed Baekho's shoulder roughly and turned him around before he felt a punch against his cheek. Baekho stumbled on the uneven ground and almost fell but his shirt was grabbed, dragged forward and another punch sent him toppling into the water. He could feel the taste of blood in his mouth but the pain was nothing like the one in his chest. His mind was numb. He could hear his best friend screaming but he couldn't make out what the words were.

"Go get the boats!" He heard a man yell though and he instinctively grabbed the one who started turning around. He wasn't going to allow them to hurt Minhyun. Not again. "Let go." A sharp pain shot up his thigh when the man stomped on his leg. He cried out and let go before another kick against his shoulder pushed him back into the water. He had to get up. He had to stop them. Stall them so Minhyun could get as far away as he could but the physical pain made it difficult to move and the emotional one made it hard to breathe.

"Maybe it'll come back if we make you scream for your life." Baekho was confused but then felt hands circling his throat. He choked and coughed as he tried to get the man's hands off him.

"Get yours hands off my friend!" Seungkwan's voice became clearer but he was stopped by the other remaining person. "Baekho! You're going to kill him!"

"Maybe that's what I'll do since he let our money go just like that." Baekho gasped and tiredly dragged his hand along the man's arm, feeling his lungs about to give out.

"Let go!" Seungkwan's voice seemed to drown out in Baekho's ears as water surrounded him. "No!"

A shrill scream filled the air but Baekho had no idea what was happening. His body was cold and stiff as he sunk underwater. Another scream sounded and another before Baekho felt himself drifting away.

"No, Minhyun! Stop!"

Minhyun...? Baekho couldn't even open his eyes but he felt a force around his chest. Pulling him deeper into the water.

"Come back!"

Seungkwan. That was Seungkwan's voice but it grew more and more distant. Baekho felt water entering his system before he was suddenly hauled upwards. He gasped for air and coughed out most of the water that was trying to drown him. His body was placed onto what felt like rocks and he breathed lowly. He heard a whimper before something touched his skin. His cheek ached from the touch and he winced, moving his hand to grab hold of whatever was touching him. He froze when he felt scales and forced his eyes to open. A pair of worried purple eyes stared at him. Baekho let out a weak chuckle.

"Am I hallucinating...? Oh god. I've lost it, haven't I?" he mumbled.

"No." The reply and voice made his eyes shoot open as he stared at the merman who laid beside him on the rock.

"What... on earth..."

"You're not... hallucinating."

"Minhyun? What the hell are you doing here?" Baekho asked as he choked on water. "I thought I told you to leave."

"I did but... Seungkwan... was screaming... I came back. You were getting... hurt." Baekho squinted at Minhyun.

"Is that blood on your face?" Baekho asked before he noticed even his sharp nails had them. "What did you do?"

"I...I hurt them. The ones... that hurt... you."

"Oh no... Minhyun." Baekho groaned as he sat up partially. "You should have just left..."

"I couldn't..." Minhyun gazed downwards.

"Why did you come back..." His hand found its way to Minhyun's again, holding it tightly. "They're going to come for you now. You have to go."

"But what... about you?" Minhyun asked worriedly and scooted closer so he could lean against Baekho, hopefully sharing his body heat since Baekho seemed to be shivering. He didn't want to leave the other, now that he knew that the humans were just as capable at hurting Baekho. "They hurt you..."

"But they'll hurt you more than me and I can't stand knowing that," Baekho said while feeling the wet sink into his bones that made him shiver more. Even though he didn't want to cling to Minhyun, he was the only source of warmth there was out here now. In the middle of the ocean on some rock with water soaked clothes. Minhyun shook his head and ended up hugging Baekho, pushing him back down to the rock. Baekho touched his back and rubbed it gently. He groaned slightly when Minhyun's body pressed against his aching thigh.

"I'm not... leaving you again," Minhyun said softly while shifting his lower body aside.

"Minhyun..." Baekho didn't know how to convince the other to leave and he didn't want to yell at the other just to force him to leave. He didn't have the heart to when he himself was hurting internally. "How far are we from shore?"

"I... don't know," Minhyun whispered his response. "Not too far." Baekho groaned and tried to lift his shirt up to stop it from glueing to his skin.

"You need to go further. Somewhere they won't be able to find you," Baekho said while trying to sit up but Minhyun's strength held him down. "Somewhere away from civilisation."

"No... no." Minhyun shook his head defiantly. Baekho sighed and gave up trying to break free from the other's hold even though he wasn't even trying.

"Then what do you want?"

"I want to stay... with you," Minhyun said softly.

"We went through that already, Minhyun. You and I can't stay together."

"Why? I just... want to be... with you." Baekho gave it some thought. He knew why but he wasn't sure what to tell Minhyun. The other might just think Baekho was coming up with excuses so they won't be together.

"And what if you don't want to anymore? I can't just bring you back here or let you loose in the sea in Seoul."

"I won't... I promise, I won't. I'll stay," Minhyun said pleadingly with teary eyes. Baekho gulped. "Don't ask me... to leave again. Please?" How was he going to say no to such a face. Baekho hugged Minhyun and sighed.

"I don't want to but what choice do I have?"

"Take me... with you."

"You have a fish tail, should I remind you? There's no way we can hide that all the way back to Seoul."

"Cut it off?" Minhyun mumbled, leaving both Baekho and himself aghast.

"That's the worst suggestion I've heard," Baekho groaned yet it was the only one that would allow Minhyun to stay with him without anyone suspecting him to be a mermaid. Without his tail, he would just look like someone who was born without a lower half. Minhyun pouted and finally got up when his ears picked up a familiar sound. He grabbed Baekho and pulled him up.

"What-" Baekho didn't have time to get through his shock when Minhyun made him hide behind a rock with him, squishing their bodies together. Minhyun slapped his hand over Baekho's mouth so he wouldn't make a noise. The sound of a boat engine roared louder, alarming Baekho about the possibility of them being found. Minhyun tried to peek but Baekho pulled him back, afraid they would spot them. A light shone through the cracks between the rocks and made both males stiffen up. They held one another tightly, breath held in until the sound of the boat faded softer.

"We need to get back somehow," Baekho whispered. He was getting colder the longer he stayed out with wet clothes.

"We?" Minhyun asked, just to be sure he didn't hear wrongly.

"Unless you want me to swim all the way back to shore myself and potentially getting lost in the sea. Yes, we have to get back together," Baekho said as a matter of fact. Minhyun smiled though and nodded.

"Do I get... to stay?"

"That... I'll decide once we reach the shore. I don't even know if Seungkwan got away from them safely. We don't even have a wheelchair. This ," Baekho grumbled. Minhyun reached over to Baekho's chin and tilted it over to him. Baekho raised his brows but was distracted by the soft lips on his. He shut his eyes and let the feeling sink. The warm cold difference of their lips made Baekho pull Minhyun closer until he felt his breath turned hotter, warming his body naturally. Minhyun pulled away sheepishly. "You're really making this difficult for me, aren't you?"

Minhyun smiled and Baekho sighed. Baekho kissed him this time but just a quick and short one before moving away. He poked his head out from between the rocks, trying to look for any boats circling the  area. When he saw none, he bent down again. "Okay. We gotta be quick and try to avoid anyone. We get to shore and..." Baekho hesitated. "And... see how it's like there. Also we should try landing somewhere where it's not the beach." Minhyun nodded and sunk into the water, holding his arms out towards Baekho.

"Aren't I heavy?" Baekho asked and Minhyun shook his head. He guessed Minhyun was strong even though he was also not super heavy. He lowered himself into the water, wheezing slightly at the coldness of it. Minhyun wrapped his arm around Baekho and swam backwards, away from the rocks. Baekho held onto him and gulped. The sea definitely looks scarier at night but Baekho gradually relaxed a little more as Minhyun slowly pulled him towards the shore. "Um... how's your tail? And your injuries? They're still hurting, aren't they?"

Minhyun nodded. "But not... as much... as here." Minhyun tapped his chest and Baekho bit his lip. He didn't want Minhyun to feel hurt. He leaned his head against Minhyun's shoulder.

"I'm sorry... I didn't want to hurt you. If only I hadn't fallen for you too. You could put me down if it hurts too much." Minhyun shook his head, determined to get Baekho back safely. The pain was numbed by the seawater after all. The silence was unnerving to Baekho but every little noise made him look around frantically as well. He really hoped they won't be discovered. If only he could turn merman too. Which was just as impossible as Minhyun turning fully human. Soon, Minhyun caught sight of the shore but detoured to a different part of land. Mostly where the rocky coastline was, away from the sandy areas. He helped push Baekho up onto the rocks since his clothes made it difficult to pull himself up. Baekho turned to look at Minhyun in the water who stared at him longing pleading eyes and pursed his lips. "You're really not going to leave?"

"Please... take me," Minhyun said again, holding Baekho's leg gently. Baekho knew he shouldn't. He should tell Minhyun to leave. Swim as far as he could yet here he was, holding his hand out to the other. Minhyun grabbed onto it and Baekho lifted him out from the water. Scales reflecting colorfully with the water and moonlight. Baekho knew Minhyun was definitely a creature of the sea yet the creature had somehow grown attached to him, a person of land. It was just like some little mermaid sob story except there wasn't some witch that could give Minhyun legs magically. He removed his damp shirt and wrapped it around Minhyun's tail, covering as much as he could. He carefully pulled Minhyun into his arms and into a proper carry. He winced from the throbbing in his leg but he couldn't stop now. They weren't safe yet. He limped a little as he started walking. Minhyun felt guilty for making Baekho carry him while he was hurting but he didn't want to leave the other so he held on tight.

"Where are... we going?" Minhyun asked when he realised Baekho wasn't walking towards the direction of his house.

"It's too dangerous for me to go home now. Those fishermen might have stormed my place. Don't worry. I'm bringing you to an old hideout that I used to go to when I was much younger. We will rest up there and tomorrow, find a way off this island."