[ ♡ ] Chapter VIII.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you alright?” Baekhyun questioned as they walked down the hall together. Nami turned to him and gave him a tight smile. “I’m fine,” she replied, “it’s just… feels lonely.” It was true. Even with Chanyeol taking her into town and showing her around the castle, she felt homesick. Irene had tried to reassure her that it’ll pass if she found something to occupy her mind. She had been in Korea for a mere month now, and it didn’t seem like it was going to change any time soon. She missed her parents, her room, Hoseok, and Dongmin.

 

As busy as Baekhyun is, he didn’t fail to notice that something was off about the Queen. Of course, his advisors – including his good friends Lord Chanyeol and Junmyeon – had mentioned that she looked homesick. The father of her lover – unaware of his relationship with his daughter – once mentioned during their meeting that Baekhyun should take time off to spend it with Nami just so she didn’t feel as though as she was out of place. Today has proven that she was indeed homesick. She didn’t look all together at breakfast and even during their short meeting with his friends – and advisors – Chanyeol and Junmyeon, she looked… sad. His eyes glanced down to the marble floor as he halted his walk. She seemed to have stopped also when she noticed that she was walking alone. “Are you alright?” She returned, eyeing him for a moment. Baekhyun looked up to her, smiling softly with a nod. “I was just thinking,” he said while they resumed their walk to the garden. “About what?” She asked, eyeing the bright, glistening flowers. He inhaled deeply and glanced at her: “That we should go into the city,” he said. “Perhaps we can visit the children’s home and the bakery – if you’d like.”

 

Nami blinked as it was her turn now to halt her walking. It was the first time in weeks since she’s been here that Baekhyun suggested that they spent time together. He was either busy with his advising team or with his lover – whom she noticed hasn’t really been in and out of his corridors lately. But no matter. She was just surprised that the offer was coming from Baekhyun himself. “Really?” She asked with a hint of shock in her voice, and Baekhyun heard it. He held a soft smile, nodding his head. “Maybe it’ll make you feel a bit at home,” he said. “But aren’t you busy?”

 

“Never too busy, fortunately,” he joked as they found themselves sitting by the garden fountain while the maids brought tea and snacks for them. Something he’d hope would bring her a sense of comfort. “I also thought we might call for Dongmin. The Nation’s Jewel Prince and Queen should consider expanding their help to Korea.” Nami lifted her attention from the cake that was close to going into when he mentioned Dongmin, and he could see her eyes light up at the mention of her cousin. But her eyes squinted, eyeing the crowned King of Korea. “Are you suggesting this because you pity me for being lonelier than most people here?” Baekhyun took that as a hint towards him, but true be told – he personally liked having the Queen around during their meetings with advisors, with the people of his country, or with his allies. Up until recently, his own lover had become angry with him for the lack of attention that he had not given her. The last time he’d seen her was two weeks ago – when she indirectly mentioned she didn’t like having Nami around in the castle.  

 

He cleared his throat while placing his teacup back into the saucer. “I genuinely want you to feel like this is your home too because it is.” Nami took a sip of her own tea, she hummed while giving him a genuine smile. “Well,” she called out, “if you put it that way… then I do appreciate you trying.”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Baekhyun had promised her that they’d go out to the children’s home and bakery the next day, but as of now – he wanted to take care of getting Dongmin to come and visit her as well as establish a two-year supply to the children with her. She noticed the little difference in Baekhyun over the few weeks, and she really appreciated that he wanted her to feel as though she was in the comfort of her own country.

 

“There you are,” Irene called out, approaching the Queen in the library dedicated to Baekhyun, and now, Nami. Because her little study room wasn’t enough to enchant her with the books in her study. Hence why Baekhyun has moved most – if not more – books into his library and refined space. “I was wondering where you were,” she said with a wide smile on her lips. Nami looked up from her book as a grin and a curious look plastered her features. “Hmm,” she hummed while eyeing her best friend teasingly, “and here I thought you’ve forgotten about me since being courted by Junmyeon.” Irene gave her friend and Queen a playful glare as she slides into the chair beside Nami. “Oh, shut up,” she uttered, and the brunette stared with ajar. “Is that any way to speak to your Queen?”

 

“No, but it is a way to speak to your best friend.”

 

Nami squinted her eyes, marking her book with a soft bend to the page. “Touché,” she replied, and Irene grinned even more. Since their arrival, Baekhyun’s friend and advisor – Junmyeon – had taken a liking in Irene. He had asked permission from Nami to court her lady-in-waiting and best friend, but the brunette would only agree if Irene was okay with it. Yet, here they were – a blooming relationship. Perhaps when Dongmin said he’d like to see Irene marry soon; it might be coming true. “How was your lovely date into town?” “I wouldn’t call it a date,” Irene corrected, humming as she moved side to side in her chair. “I’d say it’s more of a leisurely rendezvous.”

 

“Which would still be considered a date?” Nami questioned, eyes squinted in confusion before she laughed. Irene joined in on her laugh, smiling from ear to ear. “If truth be told it was wonderful and he is amazing. Knowledgeable, if I might say.” Nami gave her best friend a gentle, sincere smile. “You look happy,” the brunette said, “and I’m happy f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter